Menu

Is there a dry erase marker that actually erases completely?

I haven't had much problem with my markers honestly.

I did have a problem with our first white board, and it turned out to be the board itself, not the markers. It was a really cheap white board. Our new one, which has a much glossier surface hasn't been a problem (and it really wasn't very expensive, just more than the previous one).

Wow, never heard about the WD-40: I will try it!

Yes, the board makes all the difference. The Markerboard People website makes what looks to be a really nice glossy one that they guarantee will not make shadows! They say most dry erase boards today are not made right; thus, the shadows. If this current system I'm using doesn't work out, I will have to take a map down off one of the walls and put one of these up.

I posted in the other thread, but the best white board i have ever used (and still own) is the one my parents bought me way back when. It's got an enamel finish on metal i think.... but it's more of a true original "white board" than what you can buy now.

Glass works well too - IKEA sells panels and i've ponders how i could use those.....

The blue and green are the hardest to get off. If you can find EXPO dry erase Wipes, they are amazing!! 10 X better than the spray! I use them 2-3 times a year to get rid of the "ghosting". I don't know where to buy them though, I got mine from a rep at a state swim meet a couple of years ago. But they are awesome!

Here's a few suggestions to consider:

RE: Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

I sprayed my white board cleaner with the kind used to clean dry erase boards and then let it sit for an hour. Then I used Palmolive dish washing soap and rinsed under warm water. The stain came out completely. (01/10/2007) By Rachael Vieth

Rubbing Alcohol. I accidentally marked across my brand new solid gold tie. I blotted the tie with a paper towel dipped in rubbing alcohol. I kept blotting with dry towel to help it dry. The marker was gone. I had no stain from the alcohol or wrinkling of the material. (04/21/2007) By Ray Depta

I got a dark blue dry erase marker across my cotton button-up shirt (very expensive!) so I did this to remove the stain in just five or so minutes: I soaked the stain in rubbing alcohol for a few minutes and then scrubbed it with cotton balls. This got some of the stain off. I then doused cotton balls in dish washing liquid and then scrubbed for a few minutes and the whole stain was gone. (08/22/2007)

By Peetreeman

Does anyone know how to remove dry erase marker from clothing? My 3 yr old gets it on her clothes and I have had to throw clothes away because I cannot get it out for anything! Just wondering since you all seem very knowledgeable about dry erase markers! :-)

:) We have a three year old with a similar tendency! Unfortunately her "favoritest" dress was ruined, and we weren't able to restore it. So now she either colors in the buff, or she'll wear one of my (older) son's outgrown tee shirts as a sort of apron to protect her clothes from the markers.

I'll have to write down and remember the solutions above - thanks for posting those!