Menu

Need another poetry resource, please!

swimmermom3

I am following MCT's A World of Poetry this year with my ds (11). I was pleased to find that we already do one of the things MCT recommends:start class with the poem of the day. I have Favorite Poems: Old and New, Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children of All Ages, and Living Memory as my current resources. I need one more resource to get through the year. Any suggestions? Ds enjoys Shel Silverstein, Edward Lear, Lewis Carroll, and Edgar Allen Poe, and Carl Sandburg.

Karin, thanks for responding. I guess I will head to the library. I was hoping someone had a favorite anthology or book.

Our poetry "study" has been accidental. SL provides a volume of poetry with each core. Last year, I felt obligated to use the two books we received. Each child read one poem every morning. I let them pick. Sometimes we discussed them, especially if we enjoyed them and sometimes we didn't. Somehow, it became the favorite part of our day.

These sessions were separate from "poetry coursework" that we did with Lightning Lit. The boys enjoyed that too. We exhausted our copy of A Treasury of Poetry for Young People book. That is a beautiful book and perfect for American history. I think I am looking for its successor. The age level was perfect, not too young and not too adult.

I don't have a lot of background with poetry, so am at a bit of a loss.

Ariel loves Jack Prelutsky's Be Glad Your Nose is on Your Face. It's similar to Silverstein and Lear. My favorite poetry resource has been out of print for years, it was my grandmother's college text, something like 101 Famous Poems with poets like Whitman, Lindsay and Field. You could probably find a similar anthology at your library, though.

I have your first two anthologies and that has been plenty. As we go through Favorite Poems daily, if there is a poem that dd loves or identifies with, we look up what else that poet has done on the internet. She really liked a poem by John Drinkwater in the FP book recently and saved all the poems she could find on the internet by him. She thought it was cool that they shared the same birthday, so she tries to enjoy his poems more. So, I thought it was a good chance to do a more in depth study of a poet and more of his or her work.

Another resource I love, besides MCT, is Kenneth Koch. I got two of his books years ago on Amazon, used, for pennies. Rose, Where Did You Get That Red and Wishes, Lies, and Dreams.

Check AmblesideOnline. We read a poem a day and much of the poetry they have already setup on their site. Look at the booklist for each year and scroll down to poetry - just click on their name or link beside them. Here is a link as an example:

http://www.amblesideonline.org/04bks.shtml

HTH,

Edited by Lucidity
added link

We read a lot of poetry, and memorize 1 a month.

I love this series because it gives a short bio and tid bits of interesting info on an individual poem. My library carries all of them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=poetry+for+young+people&sprefix=poetry+for

I like these for their being an all around good collection:

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Poems-Favorite-Poetry-Children/dp/0786851112/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250782788&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Random-House-Book-Poetry-Children/dp/0394850106/ref=pd_sim_b_1

I'll check out any book of poetry at the library, I've found some real treasures in some obscure and bad looking books. :)

Here are a couple of websites I like too

http://oldpoetry.com/

http://www.poemhunter.com/poems/

I like the Poetry for Young People series a lot.

I like picture books on individual poems, such as Robert Frosts's Stopping by the Woods, and especially ballads like the Light Brigade and Casey at Bat.

We have an audio recording that includes many of the poets reading their own poetry, Poetry Speaks to Children (I see it was already in a link).

Isn't there more poetry in the back of the MCT book?

Have fun!

Julie

Edited by Julie in MN

My kids like any of the Jack Prelutsky books to add a little bit of fun and build vocabulary.

Walter de la Mare is one of my favorites for children. I think our book is called Poems for Young Children or something nondescript like that.

I had not encountered Jack Prelutsky before. My first impression was that it was a bit young for Dude. After a few more readings, I think it's a great fit. You are right about the vocabulary, especially in a poem like "A Remarkable Adventure". I was able to read through several of de la Mare's poems on Poemhunter and found a couple that will tie into our ancient's study.

We've been enjoying the CD that comes with Poetry Speaks to Children. Maybe a little young for your children in parts, Lisa? Though I have enjoyed it too. I like hearing the poets read their own poems.

Our library has it.

Thanks, Emily. Since your library has it, that must mean mine does too.;) Even if it is too young, I wonder if I can find some poetry readings to take him to. I like hearing authors read their works and think it adds an extra dimension.

I have your first two anthologies and that has been plenty. As we go through Favorite Poems daily, if there is a poem that dd loves or identifies with, we look up what else that poet has done on the internet. She really liked a poem by John Drinkwater in the FP book recently and saved all the poems she could find on the internet by him. She thought it was cool that they shared the same birthday, so she tries to enjoy his poems more. So, I thought it was a good chance to do a more in depth study of a poet and more of his or her work.

Another resource I love, besides MCT, is Kenneth Koch. I got two of his books years ago on Amazon, used, for pennies. Rose, Where Did You Get That Red and Wishes, Lies, and Dreams.

Shawna, ummm:blushing: I never thought to take it any further than picking out a poem and then talking about why we liked it. Sometimes in Favorite Poems you come across the same poet. My dc would usually remember and say "Oh yah, didn't he write ...?" I think I'll save Kenneth Koch for myself. The two poems I read were intriguing. Thank you.

If you have a thrift store and used book store near you I would check them out. I have many poetry books but most of them are antiques I've picked up second hand.

Paula, if you have ever seen me in action on these boards when new curricula or books are mentioned, you would realize that I am seldom allowed in a bookstore unattended. We live in the same city as a famous bookstore that has 6 or 7 floors of used and new books, glorious books. Until this year, I liked my textbooks new and my favorite personal books,old. That old book smell. Hmmm. You know...my dh is out of town one more night...

Shawna, ummm:blushing: I never thought to take it any further than picking out a poem and then talking about why we liked it. Sometimes in Favorite Poems you come across the same poet. My dc would usually remember and say "Oh yah, didn't he write ...?" I think I'll save Kenneth Koch for myself. The two poems I read were intriguing. Thank you.

We don't really pick apart. More like impressions. Mostly it's none, but there will sometimes be one that dd especially likes, so we will look and see if she likes any more poems by that person.

I had forgotten that Kenneth Koch was an actual poet and not just a teacher until I read this. The books that I mentioned previously are for teaching children. It's actually been several years since we used them, but I think we will get them out to use with MCT.

Check AmblesideOnline. We read a poem a day and much of the poetry they have already setup on their site. Look at the booklist for each year and scroll down to poetry - just click on their name or link beside them. Here is a link as an example:

http://www.amblesideonline.org/04bks.shtml

HTH,

What a beautiful website! Someone on another thread suggested I check this out as well. So many resources, thank you.

We read a lot of poetry, and memorize 1 a month.

I love this series because it gives a short bio and tid bits of interesting info on an individual poem. My library carries all of them.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=poetry+for+young+people&sprefix=poetry+for

I like the Poetry for Young People series a lot.

I like picture books on individual poems, such as Robert Frosts's Stopping by the Woods, and especially ballads like the Light Brigade and Casey at Bat.

We have an audio recording that includes many of the poets reading their own poetry, Poetry Speaks to Children (I see it was already in a link).

Isn't there more poetry in the back of the MCT book?

Have fun!

Julie

Helena and Julie, I had no idea there were more books to go with the Treasury of Poetry for Young People (that I just sold!). We love the biographies and beautiful pictures. Thank you for the helpful (and dangerous) links. My ds will love having his own volumes of Lear and Carroll.

Edited by swimmermom3
messed up quotes

You've had a lot of helpful replies while I've been off the board busy for the past couple of days.

We found a fun anthology in the library this past week called something like 101 Famous Poems that my 11 yo and dh read parts of, but I suspect that these other things are as good or better for what you're looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

Emily, you are a gem. Our high school has a slam poetry contest each year. Regardless of what you think of slam poetry as a genre (?), the kids really do turn out some amazing and very moving work. I'm going to see if I can get this from the library first and if it's as promising as it looks, I'll tie it into our work about the time the contest comes around. This year is promising to be our most exciting one yet with some of the great resources that have been recommended on this board.

• 3 weeks later...

Lisa, I don't even know what slam poetry is :tongue_smilie: , but I noticed this at Powell's:

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?PID=24737&cgi=biblio&show=HARDCOVER:NEW:1402200374:24.95

I've also been seeing on Amazon various classic poetry compliations on audio CD, many focused on modern poets reading their own work. I haven't bought any yet, but I'm tempted. I forgot how much I like poetry for myself.

Lisa, I don't even know what slam poetry is :tongue_smilie: , but I noticed this at Powell's:

http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?PID=24737&cgi=biblio&show=HARDCOVER:NEW:1402200374:24.95

I've also been seeing on Amazon various classic poetry compliations on audio CD, many focused on modern poets reading their own work. I haven't bought any yet, but I'm tempted. I forgot how much I like poetry for myself.

Thanks for the link. It's probably time for another trip to Powell's. So sad.;)

Here's a link that does a decent job of defining slam poetry. I like my poetry on the traditional side but promised my dd I would listen with an open mind. Some of it I could not get past and some of it was amazing in a painful, yet beautiful way. I could not imagine telling the same stories as effectively any other way.

Emily, it's good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

My favorite is called "The Best Loved Poems of the American People". My Mom had this book and often read to us from it when we were kids. It contains some of my favorite poems.

Jenni, this looks like a lovely volume made even more special by your memories. Thank you for suggesting it. My mom was great about buying books. I just have no memory of her ever reading one to us.