Menu

Anyone use Activia in a 7 year old child?

I am thinking of trying Activia for my ds who is 7. He has occasional to frequent problems with constipation. Of course, I am trying to increase fruit and veggies and water since he would only eat bread products if I let him;) I do make sure he gets yogurt or kefir which I think is beneficial, but I am interested in trying this.

Any thoughts?

All my kids used to eat Activia on a regular basis. They liked the taste and I didn't think the ingredient list was too horrible compared to most brands. We've since gone back to our organic brand and the kids miss some of the flavors. I've read here that some people experience horrible stomach cramps while eating Activia, but that has not been our experience here. Even my 2yo enjoyed it. :)

I should add that we ate Activia because the kiddos enjoy yogurt, not for digestive reasons. I don't really know if it helps that much with digestion since we've always eaten yogurt in some form, we all take pre/probiotics on a regular basis and I'm really careful about the kids' diets (because they are young enough that I can be :))

I have not tried the Activia (my sister did have digestive issues with it) but for my 7 year old with occasional constipation issues I purchase PlumSmart juice (which is basically prune juice). I mix a few ounces every morning with orange juice or grape juice and she drinks it up and it has helped regulate her. She even knows now that if her tummy starts hurting, she tells me it is time for more Plum Smart juice.

IMO there's probably just as much benefit from good old fashioned acidophilus and other traditional yogurt strains; anything with live cultures is good. Why pay more just because of some corporate-sponsored 'scientific' study found a fancy designer strain that is actually documented to work? Documented by whom? Oh, yeah, the people selling it to you.

Some people don't react well to Activia; I stick with Mountain High, Dannon Natural, or an organic brand without HFCS and other crap added; we buy vanilla or plain and add our own fruit or whatever for flavors. It's also cheaper by the 32oz tub.

If you are looking for the effects of probiotics, why not just buy the probiotics? That way, you can add them to whatever you want, ie juice, yogurt, etc. The child will never know the difference, and you aren't having to purchase a product that may or may not do as it is advertised.

I buy the cheaper, Walmart brand yogurt that has added fiber and then make the kids smoothies by adding frozen blueberries, raspberries, a little milk and a little honey to the yogurt in the blender. The smoothies are thick like ice cream (be sure to add frozen fruit), so it's a real treat! I then take the leftover smoothie mixture and pour it in popsicle molds for healthy snacks later on. It adds a good amount of fiber to their diet in a fun way!

Have you checked him for food allergies/intolerances?

I thought of this as you said that he would eat only bread (likely wheat) products if you let him. Very often kids will crave exactly what is bothering them.

I am thinking of trying Activia for my ds who is 7. He has occasional to frequent problems with constipation. Of course, I am trying to increase fruit and veggies and water since he would only eat bread products if I let him;) I do make sure he gets yogurt or kefir which I think is beneficial, but I am interested in trying this.

Any thoughts?

Have you checked him for food allergies/intolerances?

I thought of this as you said that he would eat only bread (likely wheat) products if you let him. Very often kids will crave exactly what is bothering them.

Yes, unfortunately my ds has severe food allergies to peanuts/tree nuts and a question of eggs, mango, and shellfish. The wheat skin test was negative, I will have to check the RAST results since I do not re-cal if wheat was positive or not. His allergies coupled with occasional constipation have made me interested in pro-biotics for him. I have also toyed with the idea of gluten free and casein free diet but the thought is daunting.