Menu

Ds12 came to me with passionate tears. . . (CC)

wanting to know about how to live a more "real" spiritual life.

I told him:

1. Start to get in the habit of having a real dialogue with God. Tell Him how you feel and what you want.

2. Start to build up your spiritual muscles. Take in God's word and develop your talents and skills.

3. Ask God for opportunities to serve him even in your mundane life. (Part of his complaint was that his life was too mundane and insignificant.)

4. God may want you to be patient. You need to do what God wants you to do in God's timing.

I do not want to squash his ambitions and desires. But at the same time, I'm reminded of people like David (who learned to trust God in the mundane task of taking care of his Dad's sheep) and Moses (who spent 40 years out in the Wilderness before God gave him his significant opportunity to serve). Any thoughts? Ideas?

What is so mundane and insignificant about his life? What sort of people have made a difference in his life? Other mundane people, probably :) In what sort of way does he want to make a difference? Planting flowers in one's front yard is about as mundane as you get, but it can make a difference in someone's life. There was a house between my place and the hospital with a variety of flowers at various stages of bloom when I was dragging my heavily pregnant body to and from appointments in mid-summer. It made a difference to me!

It's a tricky age, isn't it? Wanting to be capable of big things, but no real concept on what counts as big. Or that's how I remember feeling...

:)

Rosie

I think it's a very natural thing to want to do something big for God, something significant. The thing is, though, that you'll never do "something big" if you don't do a whole lot of small things first. In fact, the small things are harder to do. It takes some growing up to realize that all that small stuff is the big stuff, but to start with, you just have to learn that God won't ask you to do anything very big unless you're already faithful in all those small ways.

:001_smile:

I don't mean to pry, but has he been born again? I mean, I assume from the advice you gave him that he has, but I hate to assume anthing about anyone's salvation. Obviously, if he hasn't been born again, that's the absolute first step he must take in drawing closer to the Lord. By which I don't mean that he can just 'decide' to be born again, but rather that he must pray and seek the Lord until he has assurance of salvation. I'm sure you know what I mean.

If he is born again, I would encourage him to pray and ask the Lord to be baptized in the Holy Spirit. We just had some dear missionaries, who are close personal friends, come stay with us for a few days. The husaband gave an absolutly amazing teaching on what being baptized in the Holy Spirit is. It was incredible; I've never understood it so clearly! It was a true word of the Lord for me. Later that evening, I was in prayer, and pleading with the Lord to baptize me in the Holy Spirit, and I began praying it tounges, which I've never done before! It's absolutely incredible, and I feel so blessed!

Sorry to ramble; but that's the advice I'd give your son. :001_smile: To pray to 'be being filled' with the Holy Spirit.

Edited by bethanyniez
spelling

What is so mundane and insignificant about his life? What sort of people have made a difference in his life? Other mundane people, probably :)

It's a tricky age, isn't it? Wanting to be capable of big things, but no real concept on what counts as big. Or that's how I remember feeling...

Precisely! When I said that he could serve God by doing his chores, he gave me a dirty look. . .:glare::D

I am thinking along the lines of learning how to apply Bible study to God's personality. Get to know him better and deepen his relationship with God in that way and feel more spirit in his life. I was trying to find resources before I posted.

I was thinking of having a more challenging Bible study with him. . . have to think more about this. . . .

It takes some growing up to realize that all that small stuff is the big stuff, but to start with, you just have to learn that God won't ask you to do anything very big unless you're already faithful in all those small ways.

Yes - this is why I was thinking about David. He was faithful in the little things, way before he met up with Goliath. And way before he became king.

I told him:

1. Start to get in the habit of having a real dialogue with God. Tell Him how you feel and what you want.

2. Start to build up your spiritual muscles. Take in God's word and develop your talents and skills.

3. Ask God for opportunities to serve him even in your mundane life. (Part of his complaint was that his life was too mundane and insignificant.)

4. God may want you to be patient. You need to do what God wants you to do in God's timing.

I do not want to squash his ambitions and desires. But at the same time, I'm reminded of people like David (who learned to trust God in the mundane task of taking care of his Dad's sheep) and Moses (who spent 40 years out in the Wilderness before God gave him his significant opportunity to serve). Any thoughts? Ideas?

PTL for your son, Jean! That is an encouragement for every Mom who is praying in like manner for their son/s and/or daughter/s. That goes for me and my 10 yo dd too! Sheryl <><

:001_smile:

I don't mean to pry, but has he been born again?

Yes, he's been born again. He gives a very clear testimony of that.

I'm afraid that we have a different interpretation of the Bible re. the filling of the Holy Spirit (although I've had many friends who believe as you do.) We believe that he was filled with the Holy Spirit at the moment of regeneration. But I did talk to him about staying under the control of the Holy Spirit. We believe that every time we sin, we stop being under the control of the Holy Spirit and come under the control of our sinful nature. In order to come back into fellowship (and back under the control of the Holy Spirit) we need to confess our sin to God. God will forgive us because Jesus Christ has already died on the cross for our sins. (I John 1:9). It is only when we do things under the control of the Holy Spirit that it "counts" as divine good. The good things we do when we are under the control of the sinful nature (and we do some good things then too) are only human good and do not "count" as far as God is considered. (Isaiah 64:6)

Yes, he's been born again. He gives a very clear testimony of that.

I'm afraid that we have a different interpretation of the Bible re. the filling of the Holy Spirit (although I've had many friends who believe as you do.) We believe that he was filled with the Holy Spirit at the moment of regeneration. But I did talk to him about staying under the control of the Holy Spirit. We believe that every time we sin, we stop being under the control of the Holy Spirit and come under the control of our sinful nature. In order to come back into fellowship (and back under the control of the Holy Spirit) we need to confess our sin to God. God will forgive us because Jesus Christ has already died on the cross for our sins. (I John 1:9). It is only when we do things under the control of the Holy Spirit that it "counts" as divine good. The good things we do when we are under the control of the sinful nature (and we do some good things then too) are only human good and do not "count" as far as God is considered. (Isaiah 64:6)

I see, Jean. Perhaps we do have different understandings. I believe that one is filled with the Holy Sprit when the are regenerated, but that there can be additional fillings of the Holy Spirit to give us power for spiritual gifts as well as ministry and miracles.

Regardless of our different understandings, it sounds as if you have a wonderful son who will grow, with you and your dh's guidance, to be a great man of God. What a blessing, and what a testimony to you, his parents. :001_smile:

First, WOO HOO! That is wonderful news. Make a momma proud!:001_smile:

We're supposed to start Do Hard Things this year too.

I thought your encouragement was great. Perhaps in your bible study time you can read up on David with him. On Joseph. On Jesus, a lowly carpenter. The Bible is full of those with mundane lives. The woman who cleaned the feet of Christ.

I'd focus on the truth of Obedience. Most things we do lead back to that impossible, yet simple construct. Caution him against works for the sake of works, as opposed to works as led by the Lord.

What great news for you. God bless his tender heart.

May I suggest two resources?

The Experiencing God bible study was very helpful to me as a teen.

I think he should watch Everything is Spiritual by Rod Bell.

A big second for Experiencing God. It was a life changing study for me the first and the second time I did it. The basic idea is that we *know* God's will - he wants people drawn to him. So, instead of waiting for God's big plan for your life, do things you know are within his will. The more time you spend getting to know him, the more able you are to see and do His Will. (At least, that's what I got out of it - someone else may have taken something else from it!)

They are the authors of Do Hard Things. THey currently have a movement called Rebelution which is to encourage youth to battle against low expectations and do great things for God. I don't know much about it, but thought it might be worth a look. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rebelution Tells a little about the movement. I know they are holding conferences around the country.

HTH,

Mary

Precisely! When I said that he could serve God by doing his chores, he gave me a dirty look. . .:glare::D

LOL, my dd would too.

Does he know what God is wanting him to do, but he is afraid you won't let him? This is nothing against you, my 9dd talks to me about alot of things but sometimes she gets nervous that I will think something is silly or I will not let her try it. If he just does not know what he is being called to do then lots of prayer is in order. God will reveal His plans to your son, and it is great that your son is acknowledging God is calling on him even if he does not know what God wants just yet.

Maybe try asking him exactly what he thinks God wants him to be doing. My kids raise awareness and money for childhood cancer, and my dd does anything she can to be near horses. She feels that God is leading her to care for others and for animals in this way at this point in her life.

They are the authors of Do Hard Things. THey currently have a movement called Rebelution which is to encourage youth to battle against low expectations and do great things for God. I don't know much about it, but thought it might be worth a look. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Rebelution Tells a little about the movement. I know they are holding conferences around the country.

HTH,

Mary

I'll definitely check this out.

What a nice "problem" to have -- I think encouraging him to do something to help others. In my opinion, changing the focus from pleasing oneself to helping to others does make the world a better place, one small step at a time. It is better to increase one's faith and good works gradually than have a big explosion and then burn out, I think. Encourage him to not underestimate the amount of assistance common courtesy can give -- people can be greatly lifted up by just a smile and a friendly "hello." I think one act, done regularly, is quite good for strengthening one's habits of good behavior and faith.

It's tempting to think that if one is not doing something magnificent where the entire world looks at us, then it's meaningless, but this is really not the case, and to believe that is to fall victim to inertia (or the devil, depending on your way of thinking). To change one life is a big deal. I think visiting some nice but lonely elderly person or buddying up with a younger, lonely kid is probably something that would make a big difference to all concerned, as an example.

For myself, this Wide Angle documentary on PBS ("Birth of a Surgeon") about a midwife in Mozambique was thought-provoking. She is doing great work -- in one village. But oh, how she matters to each woman who received medical care, possibly life-saving medical care.