Menu

Pet sitting an Aussie shepherd--what "job" can I give her?

Chris, she would probably love herding the kids. Send them out to run around and that Aussie will perk right up. So...thats good for 5 minutes of her day. Maybe a backpack and lots of walks too. I have a Wiem and you dont leave them alone or they can get destructive out of boredom and loneliness. So he just love to BE with us, its enough. Play, walk, get attention, pet - it all helps.

Can you do "The Walk" with her? You know, the Dog Whisperer's purposeful, no-nonsense, no-stopping-to-smell-the-roses, at-least-45-minutes walk? It's a time sucker, especially if you're like me and would rather dip snuff than walk, lol, but it does seem to help them be more calm in the house. Or a treadmill. Do you have a treadmill? My friend swears by her treadmill to keep her boxer busy and happy and relaxed.

We have a border collie so I think there a lot alike in personality. Our BC loves to just be with us. She loves to run and chase a ball or play frisbee...and she definitely loves herding kids. When inside she just follows up all around and will lay right at our feet if were sitting...she's such a people person.

She loves chasing the bunnies in our big lot. Also a nice long walk tuckers her right out.

They're a herding dog that was bred in the U.S. I think they look something like border collies, but there's a kind of fire in their eyes that tells you you're looking at an Aussie, not a collie of any sort. If you Google, search under "Australian shepherd."

Mine loves to herd kids. We took her to the woods yesterday, and she ran in circles around us as we walked the whole time. She was so so happy. When we got home she crashed on the living room floor at our feet.

Mine also likes to attack water. Can you give the kids water guns or a hose? Oh, and bubbles. Starry Night will defeat all of the bubbles that threaten her children. It's amazing to watch her twist and turn in the air to catch them all. She's like a bubble popping ninja.

When you're desperate, get rolled up newspaper sized rawhide chew and forcefully unroll it. (This is pretty much a two person job. The hand strength of a man or teenage boy is helpful.) Slather the inside with peanut butter, reroll it and hand it over to the dog. This will generally keep the animal very busy.

Working dogs often desire more than busy-ness. They need to feel they're contributing to the pack's efforts. For this reason our golden is asked to carry small objects in from the car when we return from trips, pack a few items in her backpack for outings, and fetch people and things when we're doing yard or house work.

A smart, active working dog can be a pleasant companion, or your undoing. It just depends on how you work with them.

Here is a link to the Australian Shepherd ( not to be confused with Australian Sheep Dogs- Kelpies and Blue/Red Heelers)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/australianshepherd.htm

thank you

it looks like a border collie to me.:001_smile:

I have never heard of Australian shepherd dog here in Australia.:lol: