Menu

Please help me critique this list...

LatinLover

Due to life circumstances, I am seriously considering applying to a private school for dd. Being the planner that I am, I poked around the school's website and found their Summer Reading List. I would appreciate the wisdom of you ladies in evaluating this list...good, bad or ugly. Let me just say, that if I were completely familiar and/or happy with the books on the list, this post wouldn't be necessary.:001_smile:

Thanks everyone.

2nd Grade

Nate the Great

Amelia Bedelia

Hey, New Kid

Amber Brown

3rd Grade

Freckle Juice

Stone Fox

Clementine

Ramona Quimby

4th Grade

Poppy

Mouse Called Wolf

5th Grade

Mixed-Up Files

Harriet the Spy

6th Grade

Surviving the Applewhites

Double Identity

The Phantom Tollbooth

7th Grade

Listening for Lions

Call of the Wild

Swear to Howdy

Robinson Crusoe

8th Grade

All of the Above

Under the Persimmon Tree

Crossing the Wire

Petey

The Outsiders

The list seems full of very mainstream, popular books. And the books are up a grade level from what I remember doing as a kid. For example I read Harriet the Spy in fourth, and it is listed as fifth, etc. So, it seems a bit less than challenging. However there are some fun books on there - better than the depressing books many schools assign. And they are the SUMMER reading list, which might be a bit lighter than the norm. :001_smile:

I'm not familiar with All of the Above. Who's the author?

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Anyway.....

It looks like they had a committe pick the books, and one teacher on the committe has some taste, and the rest don't. They put one pretty accessible "children's classic" for each grade to appease her, and the rest are picked based on what Scholastic says kids should read. :glare:

Here are my thoughts. "Not familiar" means that though I may be familiar with the title we haven't read it. The age levels depend on how well your child reads. I know that Nate the Great, for instance, is considered average 2nd grade reading level, but we were doing this series in kindergarten. My daughter is only 4th grade, so we haven't gotten to some of the upper level ones yet.

2nd Grade

Nate the Great (we loved this series, lots of fun)

Amelia Bedelia (ditto)

Hey, New Kid (not familiar)

Amber Brown (I nixed this series for my daughter---the parents are divorced and the mom is dating, which is fine. I wasn't comfortable, however, with what I remember to be fairly explicit descriptions of mom and boyfriend french-kissing in the one I picked up. I didn't think it appropriate for early elementary)

3rd Grade

Freckle Juice (not familiar)

Stone Fox (not familiar)

Clementine (not familiar)

Ramona Quimby (love these books)

4th Grade

Poppy (liked this one)

Mouse Called Wolf (liked this one)

5th Grade

Mixed-Up Files (liked this one--it does involve kids runninng away and living in an art museum)

Harriet the Spy (not familiar)

6th Grade

Surviving the Applewhites (not familiar)

Double Identity (not familiar)

The Phantom Tollbooth (wonderful--one of my husband's favorite books from his childhood)

7th Grade

Listening for Lions (not familiar)

Call of the Wild (classic, don't remember a whole lot about it to be honest other than it involves a dog in Alaska. I know I read it at one point)

Swear to Howdy (not familiar)

Robinson Crusoe (another classic, will want to deal with racial issues, attitudes toward non-Europeans)

8th Grade (not familiar with any of these)

All of the Above

Under the Persimmon Tree

Crossing the Wire

Petey

The Outsiders

Edited by KarenNC

I only know 9 of the books (and I think all but Nate The Great were around 40 years ago) and they seem right for the age. The 40 year old books are okay by me morally, culturally, and while I found N the G rather repetitive, kiddo loved them and they kept him reading, which thrilled me.

The Outsiders might upset some people. Its about kids from the wrong side of town, and parents are dead, and kids run away and die, etc. My beef with it is that it is melodrama, and I would hope my 8th grader would be reading what I was reading then...Of Mice and Men, all of Jack London, some St. Ex, The Moon is Down, etc.

But I wouldn't bag a school on one book. :) HTH

If these are the books/series listed as summer reading for kids rising up to the grade level listed, then they seem entirely appropriate. The books on the 2nd grade list seem like good choices for kids who have finished 1st and will be starting 2nd.

2nd Grade

Nate the Great - very good series

Amelia Bedelia - very good series

Hey, New Kid - never heard of it

Amber Brown - haven't read it

3rd Grade

Freckle Juice - haven't read it, but supposed to be good

Stone Fox - good, but tear-jerker ending, pre-read for sensitive kids

Clementine - never heard of it

Ramona Quimby - excellent series

4th Grade

Poppy - never read it, but supposed to be good

Mouse Called Wolf - great book like almost everything else written by Dick King-Smith

5th Grade

Mixed-Up Files - excellent

Harriet the Spy - excellent

6th Grade

Surviving the Applewhites - good

Double Identity - excellent

The Phantom Tollbooth - excellent

7th Grade

Listening for Lions - excellent

Call of the Wild - I know I read this back in middle school, but I don't remember it

Swear to Howdy - never heard of it

Robinson Crusoe - not my choice

8th Grade

All of the Above - excellent

Under the Persimmon Tree - very good

Crossing the Wire - never heard of it

Petey - never heard of it

The Outsiders - supposed to be good, but I haven't read it - my oldest loved it in 7th grade

I had a hard time researching All of the Above, but I believe it's the one by Shelley Pearsall.

You guys are great! I didn't know where else to turn and this is very helpful to me. If dd ends up attending this school, I will be adding *mightily* to her Summer Reading List.

I don't know your moral standpoint, but I am somewhat conservative in allowing my dc to read books I think glamorize badly behaved children or witchcraft. As my prereqs, here's my 2 cents :)

2nd Grade

Nate the Great great

Amelia Bedelia better than good, not quite great

Hey, New Kid ?

Amber Brown?

3rd Grade

Freckle Juice naughtiness

Stone Fox Great

Clementine ?

Ramona Quimby naughtiness

4th Grade

Poppy

Mouse Called Wolf

5th Grade

Mixed-Up Files

Harriet the Spy great

6th Grade

Surviving the Applewhites

Double Identity

The Phantom Tollbooth

7th Grade

Listening for Lions

Call of the Wild great

Swear to Howdy

Robinson Crusoe great

8th Grade

All of the Above

Under the Persimmon Tree

Crossing the Wire

Petey

The Outsiders good story, and although may be objectionable to some, by this age, I trust my dc and it would be fine.

I agree with the assessment RE: Scholastic says read this....probably not the books we will read for these grades, but we read more historical fiction and journey books.

I have loved many of these books-- both as a child, and as a parent-educator. Ones I particularly love:

Ramona Quimby - then and now

Harriet the Spy - loved this as a child, but I haven't revisited it yet.

The Phantom Tollbooth - loved this book.

Listening for Lions - my husband loves this so much he gave it to about seven friends last Christmas

Robinson Crusoe- I've only read the original, and I think the language will be quite a jump from the other books for 6th and 7th

The Outsiders - I enjoyed it a million years ago

Guest Alte Veste Academy

I'm going against the previous responses here somewhat but as a CMer, what concerns me most is that it's very low on classics, particularly in the lower grades. I LOVED Ramona as a child and I would let my kids read it but the fact that it makes a summer reading list for a private school? Eh. That wouldn't thrill me. I consider it a brain candy classic, if that makes any sense. I feel the same about quite a few books on that list. They're easy reads so they have their place in developing fluency but I would prefer more classics.

There are some great ones on the list (more in the upper grades) but they're not in the majority and that would bother me.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Guest Alte Veste Academy
It looks like they had a committe pick the books, and one teacher on the committe has some taste, and the rest don't. They put one pretty accessible "children's classic" for each grade to appease her, and the rest are picked based on what Scholastic says kids should read. :glare:

:iagree: Wholeheartedly.

I would actually consider most of them in the earlier grades readers rather than literature. Readers have their place but literature salves the soul.

I LOVED Ramona as a child and I would let my kids read it but the fact that it makes a summer reading list for a private school? Eh. That wouldn't thrill me. I consider it a brain candy classic, if that makes any sense. I feel the same about quite a few books on that list. They're easy reads so they have their place in developing fluency but I would prefer more classics.

:iagree:

They aren't bad books, at least as far as the ones that I know. They just aren't books that I would expect to be required as literature.

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Excuse my ignorance, but how is a child going to read literature in early grades if they are reading on grade level?

Well, literature comes at all levels. There are ordinary books and then there is literature. For me, literature includes books with beautiful and expressive language that engulfs you and makes you sad when you turn the last page. For each person, the definition may be a bit different. However, you can find it from the earliest levels on.

The outsiders is one of my all time favorite books, great story!

Listening for lions has literally fallen off the library carrousel enough times that today I borrowed it, apparently it wants to be read in my house.

Call of the wild will be part of our school reading next year, written by a Canadian author, great story.

Of the rest we have read or have listed on our school reading about half that list and so far all have been quite good.