Menu

Fire safety vs. 2nd story windows that a toddler can't climb out of?

DD2 just got moved into the library (so her and big sis will have seperate rooms) and her bed is against the wall with a window above it. She is a natural climber and mischief maker, so the thought that she may open the window and tumble 15 feet on to concrete is a very real thought.

I went and bought sash locks that can only be loosened with a hex driver, and planned to put them in the lower rail but to tape the hex key out of reach of her but to where others could get to it (likely inside a bookcase-because if she sees it she will try to get it). Dh doesn't like the idea because he is afraid that the kids would have trouble remembering where it is an then opening it if there is a fire. We have a nearby fire ladder they can attach to the frame to get out and down.

He suggests putting a sash lock that has a twist knob, but to put it up top so she can't reach it. My concern with this is that the kids couldn't reach it without moving furniture.

There have to be other options....

any suggestions or WWYD

What about something like this? I don't know what it means by emergency release &/or how hard that would be for a toddler to figure out....

We have never used anything like that, but perhaps someone on the board has & can provide more info?

If you have a climber, I think window safety is paramount. We know a boy that fell out of an upper story window onto a concrete patio. Ultimately, he was ok, but he was extremely fortunate.

When our impulsive risk-taker was two we screwed the screen to the window frame. We reasoned (in a hopefully not too sleep-deprived fashion) that it could be gotten through in case of fire, yet was difficult for said child to get out of.

I'm not familiar with sash locks, but in a real emergency I would have no issue with anyone using a piece of furniture to break the glass. At least in my imagination. :)

When our impulsive risk-taker was two we screwed the screen to the window frame. We reasoned (in a hopefully not too sleep-deprived fashion) that it could be gotten through in case of fire, yet was difficult for said child to get out of.

I'm not familiar with sash locks, but in a real emergency I would have no issue with anyone using a piece of furniture to break the glass. At least in my imagination. :)

I was thinking that too. A piece of furniture or something could get through that glass easily with adrenaline pumping. Just be sure to go over with them what things in the room would be strong enough to break glass. We have never had that delima (one story house), but when I had to stay in a 2 story for a week I remember surveying the room for items that would break glass lol.

in a real emergency I would have no issue with anyone using a piece of furniture to break the glass. At least in my imagination. :)

A piece of furniture or something could get through that glass easily with adrenaline pumping. Just be sure to go over with them what things in the room would be strong enough to break glass. We have never had that delima (one story house), but when I had to stay in a 2 story for a week I remember surveying the room for items that would break glass lol.

There isn't anything in the room that could go through the double paned insulated glass. There are only books, and a very heavy rocking chair....well maybe the Shakespeare collection could do it :lol: And I wouldn't want to count on dd10 being able to do it anyways.

If you look at how screens are made, the wire is just pinched into the frame so if she was to lean against the screen for any amount of time, the wire would come apart from the frame and out she would go. :001_huh:

I know someone with an autistic child who had to lock the doors with a key and hide the key every night. It increased their risk of dying in a fire, but the child was much more likely to die by unlocking the door, running out into the street, and getting run over.

A handy friend might have some good ideas, I have none, sorry. Hopefully someone will come up with a good solution.

Can you move the children to the main level of the house, at least until the youngest is old enough to be trusted around an upstairs window? It may be incovenient for awhile, but that is better than you having to lie awake at night worrying (I'm projecting here--because that is what I would do :001_huh: )

I understand your concern. Fire safety is why I chose to build a ranch house instead of a two-story. I desperately wanted my children to be able to simply hop out of their windows if they had to.

My son was a climber when he was little and we nailed his windows shut. I did worry about the risk of fire, but I felt the chance of him falling out the window was far greater. That concern only lasted a year or two and then we were able to remove the nails.

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I had another thought--what about some kind of sensor to alert you when/if the window gets opened? Our house has an alarm system that will speak when a window or door is opened. ie."Girl's back window open" or "Dining end window open."

I think it is possible to set something like this up for just one window.

I ended up rearranging the furniture so that the bed (or anything else) wasn't near the window making it less climbable. Is that an option for you?

Not really, without serious rearranging/getting rid of bookcases-books. This is our library/classroom with bookcases on all the open walls, the only open place is in front of the window because we couldn't put book cases there :D.

The room is 16x20 so it is a good sized room, but the only available space is by the windows. Worst case senerio we could move her to the center of the room, but it would make it uncomfortable to be in there.