Menu

Maple syrup purists on the board....

Guest Alte Veste Academy
Have you noticed a big drop in price over the last few months? It's dropped almost $5 for the 32oz container here.

I'm happy about that, because we started eating oatmeal more frequently when it got to it's highest. Now we alternate breakfasts more like we used too.

Well, this is good news for when my current stash runs out. Since purists will be visiting this thread, I have a question. What is the deal with organic maple syrup? I like to buy as much organic as I can but I have to admit to chuckling when I saw that. Are they doing big pesticide drops over maple forests that I don't know about? :001_huh:

Well, this is good news for when my current stash runs out. Since purists will be visiting this thread, I have a question. What is the deal with organic maple syrup? I like to buy as much organic as I can but I have to admit to chuckling when I saw that. Are they doing big pesticide drops over maple forests that I don't know about? :001_huh:

My sister asks me the same question, so I'm all ears. :bigear:

I buy mostly organics, but not organic syrup.

If I remember correctly, they use fermaldahyde (sp?) in the processing of regular maple syrup.

Where do you get large quantites like that?

Is Formaldehyde used in maple syrup production?point_dot.gifFormaldehyde was used many years ago to help increase the output of sap in the maple trees during the spring harvest. After drilling tap holes in the trees some farmers would place formaldehyde tablets in these holes. The tablets would prevent the tree from naturally closing up the hole causing the tree to produce more sap. At the end of the harvest the farmers would remove the tablets and the tap holes would close up naturally.

Our company does not use formaldehyde, the use of formaldehyde is illegal and if anyone is caught using it the fines are very stiff. Maple farms are government inspected (without notice) on a regular basis and as far as we know no one uses formaldehyde any more.

Is Formaldehyde used in maple syrup production?point_dot.gifFormaldehyde was used many years ago to help increase the output of sap in the maple trees during the spring harvest. After drilling tap holes in the trees some farmers would place formaldehyde tablets in these holes. The tablets would prevent the tree from naturally closing up the hole causing the tree to produce more sap. At the end of the harvest the farmers would remove the tablets and the tap holes would close up naturally.

Our company does not use formaldehyde, the use of formaldehyde is illegal and if anyone is caught using it the fines are very stiff. Maple farms are government inspected (without notice) on a regular basis and as far as we know no one uses formaldehyde any more.

Pheww.... Thanks for that info. :001_smile:

I noticed too! It was quite high there for a while. As an alternative I tried to convince the kids to switch to honey for pancakes and waffles (we have a hive so the honey's free), but no dice. So, it's a relief to see it back down to a reasonable price...

I was looking at Amazon, but couldn't find anything reasonably priced (as in less than $25a quart). Now that the price is down, I may check again, but wholesale clubs are carrying it for $13/quart, which I think would be hard to beat.

Having said that, I've always wanted to order directly from a family farm like Dawn does. Some of them sell through Amazon, also.

YES! I was so happy when I bought it the yesterday The price went down from over $18/qt to $13.

WOW! I would have been happy with $18/qt last year. It was $32 when we were in Maine last September. In Maine. Less than an hour from Canada. :glare: Meanwhile, I've gotten it for the same price, per gallon, from the farm where we get our milk, and $40/gal for organic from a friend whose brother is a producer in PA. I have since discovered that Canada was having an issue with production... tree blight? I can't remember now, but the US producers were sending theirs up to fill the gap.

Organic means there have been no (non-approved for organic) fungicides applied to the tap. Otherwise, they don't do much to maple syrup.

The grading came from the days when being more like white sugar was desirable, since maple syrup was the poor man's sugar. (Read the chapter in "Farmer Boy" when the parents go out of town and they eat up all the white sugar.) So the fancy grade has virtually no maple taste, while the cheaper, lower graded stuff has more maple taste.

The price may have come down a bit.. .but it is still outrageously expensive compared to standard pancake syrup. Almost 5x higher here. I can't pay that.

DH wants me to buy it. I refuse & have just cut our syrup consumption back to "rarely". If we do use a syrup, it is for biscuits and it a molasses or sorghum (not that high in comparisons). Perhaps it is more of a regional issue.... cane grows better in the deep south than maple!

Kids get brown sugar with oatmeal. Pancake syrup on waffles & I just buy fewer and therefore extremely limit the opportunities to use the "corn syrup" pancake syrup.

I've read that they use chemical defoaming agents in the processing of nonorganic syrup. Natural additives, like butter or oil, are used for defoaming the organic syrup.

Kris

The price may have come down a bit.. .but it is still outrageously expensive compared to standard pancake syrup. Almost 5x higher here. I can't pay that.

DH wants me to buy it. I refuse & have just cut our syrup consumption back to "rarely". If we do use a syrup, it is for biscuits and it a molasses or sorghum (not that high in comparisons). Perhaps it is more of a regional issue.... cane grows better in the deep south than maple!

Kids get brown sugar with oatmeal. Pancake syrup on waffles & I just buy fewer and therefore extremely limit the opportunities to use the "corn syrup" pancake syrup.

This is funny because in one of my crunchiest phases, I tried to convert the fam to maple syrup and it didn't go over well. They all prefer Griffin's waffle syrup (locally made) over the "real" stuff. Now I just let them have that on the rare occasion we have pancakes and use the real syrup when I make yogurt. ('course my dh is a Wonder bread guy who rebels at anything remotely crunchy ;) )

That's funny. I was told that syrup from Canada meets a standard that the US does not, so make sure it is from there.

That's funny... our prices are up because we've been exporting it to Canada. :001_huh:

Grading only has to do with color, though it does stand to reason that the dissolved nutrients would be higher ounce for ounce in the darker syrup, since more of the water has been boiled off.

I noticed too! It was quite high there for a while. As an alternative I tried to convince the kids to switch to honey for pancakes and waffles (we have a hive so the honey's free), but no dice. So, it's a relief to see it back down to a reasonable price...

I would love to have a hive for honey. But we do have maple trees and this was the first year we tapped one. Homemade syrup was fantastic even if we only got a couple of cups. Gonna tap more next Spring and give it another go.

This is funny because in one of my crunchiest phases, I tried to convert the fam to maple syrup and it didn't go over well. They all prefer Griffin's waffle syrup (locally made) over the "real" stuff. Now I just let them have that on the rare occasion we have pancakes and use the real syrup when I make yogurt. ('course my dh is a Wonder bread guy who rebels at anything remotely crunchy ;) )

HA! My family loves Griffin's, too. Even DH, who didn't grow up here, says it's good stuff... though he's exactly like yours and would be incredibly happy if I quit buying 'crunchy' altogether. He even balks at wheat English muffins.

I love maple syrup, though it definitely has a different flavor. I'll have to hunt for this 'grade B' stuff.

I buy ours at Trader Joes. Their sign says that one of the grades has a milder flavor. I buy that one, although I can't remember whether it is A or B. :tongue_smilie: I have to read the sign every time.
S/O in your experience, does Trader Joes have a good selection of organic dairy products? (Cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese?)

S/O in your experience, does Trader Joes have a good selection of organic dairy products? (Cheese, yogurt, cottage cheese?)

TJ does sell organics in dairy, but they also sell products that are sort of a middle ground. An item may not necessarily be certified organic, but it won't have the most objectionable ingredients.

For instance, they sell milk which is not organic, but the cows were not treated with growth hormones. They sell butter that is real butter, not margarine, but it's not organic. This way, the price is more affordable than most items that are certified organic.