Menu

Fantastic math game using a deck of cards.....

8filltheheart

My college-age ds learned this from a Chinese grad student this summer. It is great and my math-geek/competitive kids love it!!

You simply flip up four cards. Cards are worth face value, Jacks-11, Queens-12, Kings-13, and Aces are either worth 1 or 14.

Using addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponents, or roots make the cards total 24. FWIW......there have only been a very few we couldn't solve.

For example, the cards flipped up 9, 4, 3, and Ace. There are 2 ways we solved: Ace=1+4=5*3=15+9=24

9-3=6*4=24* Ace as 1=24

Another example: 8, 8, 10, 7 8*10= 80- (7*8)= 24

One more: J, Q, 6, 7

J+Q=23+ (7-6)= 24

Last example: Ace,7,6, 6 Ace as 14/7=2*(6+6)=24

Fastest one wins!! Have fun!

I had this game as a kid. Not surprisingly, it was called "24!" It was a specially made deck for this purpose, but you are right, any deck of cards would work.

I loved it. I kept it to use in my high school math classroom but haven't seen it in years. Maybe it's time to dig through the 2 boxes of teaching stuff I have kept all of these years.

It sounds an awful lot like a game we played competitively in middle school (in Michigan...) called Equations. With Equations you had a handful of dice to assemble into an equation that you kept to yourself (not always 24 -- both sides of the equation came from the dice), and the competition was to move individual dice to the "required" or "restricted" sets in an effort to spoil your opponent's equation without losing your own. And of course in between moves you're trying to figure out what your opponent must have as his equation based on his moves, and what else you could do when he's restricted one of your dice....

But the card game sounds much more straightforward and quick. Love it!!

• 3 weeks later...