Menu

Remember the couple who left their baby in the car after a day at the park?...

Just so sad. It happens here often, I think because we live in the desert and the heat is unforgiving. My MIL jokes about forgetting my dh places when he was a baby (#6 of 7). It's a shame if it really was an innocent mistake that the parents would be charged. I really feel for them and the guilt they must be feeling.

Here are the 'causes' on that same sidebar:

Causes:

• "Forgotten" by caregiver 52 percent (222)

• Playing in unattended vehicle 30 percent (129)

• Intentionally left in vehicle by adult: 17 percent (73)

• Unknown: 1 percent (7)

'In 1990-1992, only 11 deaths were reported. In 2004-2006, with the advent of air bags leading parents to place children in back seats instead of front seats, there have been at least 110"

Amazing -- unintended consequences, all from an effort to keep children safe.

Wow, I had never heard that!

Those poor parents. I could see that happening.

I imagine this thread may go the way of previous threads on the topic of children dying in hot cars, so I'll re-post the link to an article that tries to explain how and why this happens.

*Warning* This article is graphic: Fatal Distraction.

I click the strap of my purse inside the safety belt of the car seat, when I have kiddo, I'm so paranoid about this. Since I so rarely transport him alone, and because I often have a loud running list of things to do in my mind, I don't want to miss a sleeping child. So, to get my purse, I have to unclick his belt.

Something struck me in the above article, although it isn't about overheated babies:

"Humans, Hickling said, have a fundamental need to create and maintain a narrative for their lives in which the universe is not implacable and heartless, that terrible things do not happen at random, and that catastrophe can be avoided if you are vigilant and responsible. "

I have never read this anywhere, but when I had a boyfriend in college who became abusive after nearly 2 years, and I was rounded blamed by many acquaintances, it struck me that by being sure *I* was to blame, they could believe it would never, ever happen to them. If it really was an innocent girl from the sticks being tricked, well, heavens, it could happen to them.

Something struck me in the above article, although it isn't about overheated babies:

"Humans, Hickling said, have a fundamental need to create and maintain a narrative for their lives in which the universe is not implacable and heartless, that terrible things do not happen at random, and that catastrophe can be avoided if you are vigilant and responsible. "

I have never read this anywhere, but when I had a boyfriend in college who became abusive after nearly 2 years, and I was rounded blamed by many cquaintances, it struck me that by being sure *I* was to blame, they could believe it would never, ever happen to them. If it really was an innocent girl from the sticks being tricked, well, heavens, it could happen to them.

So very true.

'In 1990-1992, only 11 deaths were reported. In 2004-2006, with the advent of air bags leading parents to place children in back seats instead of front seats, there have been at least 110"

I was thinking this, also, and I wondered if having infants rear-facing isn't also a contributing factor.

I was thinking this, also, and I wondered if having infants rear-facing isn't also a contributing factor.

I hadn't thought of that.

This situation is handled so differently by various police departments. Whether the child dies or is discovered in time plays some part, but even that is handled differently.

We had a man in VA who went to work and forgot to drop his child at daycare. The child died in the car. When it was realized, the police did not press charges. (This has actually happened in several cases here.)

I saw a woman on the news who was in Target shopping and left her baby in the car. She had been shopping around and was actutally in line at the pharmacy when she noticed the police outside. It then dawned on her what she had done. The cameras showed her racing out to her van hysterically and the police trying to calm her. They didn't charge her because, they said, it was an honest mistake.

Two more cases: One charged and one not.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D98RQ64O0&show_article=1

http://www.whsv.com/virginiaap/headlines/36328944.html

I click the strap of my purse inside the safety belt of the car seat, when I have kiddo, I'm so paranoid about this. Since I so rarely transport him alone, and because I often have a loud running list of things to do in my mind, I don't want to miss a sleeping child. So, to get my purse, I have to unclick his belt.

That's a good idea. I'm going to use that this next time around. I lived in fear of this with my babies. I can so see how it happens!! I just hurt for those parents. :(

My usual caution: correlation does not equal causation. There are other possible reasons that the number of these tragedies has gone up.