Menu

Craigslist--help me--

How far will you go to meet someone who wants to buy something?

She's an hr away, & she's offered $20 over the asking price of the item to cover gas. For a 2 hr round trip? I said no.

Now she wants me to meet her 1/2 way--still an hr round trip for me. What's nuts is, I feel BAD to tell her no.

Obviously I wouldn't consider it for a $10 item, & maybe if it were $100 it would be a no-brainer, but it's smackgob in between, & she's the 1st person to reply to an ad I listed yesterday, so I just don't know.

It's too hot, we're too busy, & we've got too many kids to go gallavanting out to the middle of Timbucktoo. I'm sorry you moved there, but sometimes it means you'll have to drive to get good deals on used items. So there.

Except I feel bad. :tongue_smilie:

When I find something I want on Craigslist, I just assume that I'll have to drive there. (I've done this once, for a light fixture I really wanted. It wasn't quite an hour away, but close.)

When we've listed stuff, we've always added "you haul" just to make it clear that people have to come to us! So far we haven't run into your situation. I would probably feel just as you do, but I think it's perfectly reasonably of you to refuse. It's your stuff after all, and if the potential buyer wants it badly enough, she should be willing to pick it up. :)

I would say no. What if you get to the meeting place, she looks at what you want to sell, and says "oh, the picture made it look better, I'll offer you half what you are asking". What will you do then? Sell it to her because you've already made a huge effort to sell this thing and just want it done? I would offer to hold it for one week while she figures out how to come get it. If she can't get it in that amount of time, relist it. If she really wants it she will come and get it.

Melissa

I often meet someone 15minutes away at a public place but wouldn't go further than that.

I would offer for her to keep you contact number, and if she finds herself in your area, then she can give you a call and see if it is still available. (You can email her to tell her if it is sold in the meanwhile). Sometimes things don't sell at first and people don't always relist right away.

I agree. We've always driven to get the item as the buyer. A few times we asked if the person could meet us somewhere and it worked out for both of us (a guy who worked closer to us than his home address and was willing to meet us near his work, etc.) But if they had said no, I'd have felt that was fair. You shouldn't feel bad. She can ask but there is no reason you have to say yes.

I guess we are the exception to the rule. We have delivered to buyers in a couple of cases, for extra $$$, but never that far. They were items that weren't otherwise moving, and in at least one case, the item did sell for $100. I don't remember on the other. I *might* consider meeting someone half way, but probably not that far.

Whatever you decide, you shouldn't feel guilty. You need to do what's best for your family and what you feel most comfortable with. One day listed isn't much, I'd probably give it more time.

~Staci

I would say no, be assertive. You can do it. :001_smile: It's not convenient for you at this time, sorry. If she wants it bad enough and it's that good of deal make her drive to you.

It's one thing to arrange a meeting off site in close proximity to your home when you can, but I agree I wouldn't want to load it up and take the kids out and use more gas to make it more convenient for her.

I would say no. What if you get to the meeting place, she looks at what you want to sell, and says "oh, the picture made it look better, I'll offer you half what you are asking". What will you do then? Sell it to her because you've already made a huge effort to sell this thing and just want it done? I would offer to hold it for one week while she figures out how to come get it. If she can't get it in that amount of time, relist it. If she really wants it she will come and get it.

Melissa

Oooh...I hadn't thought of that! Yuck. Thanks, guys. I told her no; we're meeting here.