Menu

Swine flu and fall/winter activities or outside classes

Dh and I are in the process of finalizing our plans for the kids' extra activities for the fall and the recent swine flu & pregnancy thread has me thinking again about something that has been on/off my mind for the last while.

I'm curious if anybody else is having concerns or second thoughts about their kids' fall activities with the potential of the swine flu being what it is? I'm not one to panic and want to barricade myself and my family in the house for the entire winter but dh and I have been considering cutting back on some of the kids' outside activities in attempt to atleast minimize our exposure to the virus. Typically in the fall-spring sessions the older kids are in 8 activities between them and we were planning on adding our preschooler to one swimming class or similar activity. Since all but two of these activities are with public schooled children who typically attend when they are very ill :glare: dh and I are a bit more leary this year.

Normally these activities fit very nicely into our schedule (some of which the older ones attend together) and I don't feel burdened or too busy with them so it's difficult for me to choose what to cut out. On the flip side, I really can't decide if we're being prudent by considering this or simply paranoid.:confused: One thought that had occurred to me was to hold back on the fall session and see how the virus plays out but a lot of these activities are such that you pay up front in September and participate until Spring, versus having seperate fall/winter/spring sessions. I don't want the kids to miss out on some great opportunities unless I have good reason to. Anybody else having similar sentiments or am I alone in my weirdness? :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure what we are going to do, but I was thinking about this exact subject today. I think it's something to really take seriously and think about. I'm debating about joining a Y program because of it. I know it's in our area, our friends baby just had it.

My little ones aren't in too many activities right now because they are still pretty young. However, I have been feeling like pulling back and planning for a nice quite fall/winter. We have all been so busy, I am looking forward to spending some time at home. Swine flu or not we are planning to slow down the pace.

We are right in the middle of flu season at the moment and apparantly swine flu is the main flu of the season. I haven't found any need to treat this winter season any different than any other flu season.

However, if my children had asthma or I was pregnant I may have approached it differently as both those groups seem to have been hard hit.

I wouldn't worry too much about the PS children since it seems they are all going to be forced to be vaccinated. :tongue_smilie:

We are going to use common sense precautions----avoid the obviously sick and use lots of hand gell when out and about.

Funny, I just had this conversation with my son's oncologist. We are not changing anything that we do, because so far this flu does not seem to be any worse than any other for most people. If things change then we will re-evaluate and cut back if necessary. We already avoid church because that is the place my kids get sick at the most (only until my son is done with his treatments), but the only other thing we would likely cut out would be homeschool co-op (people bring their kids with 'cold' symptoms gee whiz).

I guess my answer is not yet, but if necessary.

My advice is to draw your lines in the sand. By that I mean determine what information will cause you to take what prudent action.

For me, if the swine flu remains fairly mild, then I would continue our normal lives. If it became very prevalent in my area, we would probably discontinue unnecessary trips from home, including dd's activities, for a couple of weeks--just because I hate having the flu of any kind. If the mortality rate jumped dramatically with this flu and cases were being reported in my region, I would probably stay home then also.

If (and I hope it never comes to this) it was killing lots of people and there were lots of cases in my area, we would just stay home. Dh's work would probably be shut down (university). And so we would do Homeland Security's shelter in place until the danger had passed.

I have thought this through and can make my plans based on calm thinking and discussion with our family Dr., dh, and friends. I would hate to be trying to think straight in the middle of another media frenzy. One thing I did do was to contact my local Public Health Dept. and get on their mailing list for press releases. That was the best way I could think of to get up-to-date information that was not fear-driven or based on the nearest city nearly three hours away. HTH

I've been thinking about this too. I am scheduled to teach 2 science classes for mid-Sept through the week prior to Thanksgiving so my kids were going to do the co-op for that session. My little one has severe asthma and a weakened immune system so we had planned to stay out the winter session thinking that that would keep him away from so many with colds/flu. But, if I'm understanding some things I've read are putting flu season beginning in Oct. No matter what dd will have gymnastics -she is at the competitive level -and won't miss it unless the gym were to close. It is a decision that I guess we'll just have to take as it comes and watch to determine how wide-spread it is in our area. We don't do flu vaccines bec little bit is allergic to them so that isn't a pre-caution that we can take.

I get more leery of taking them to church, Awana, grocery store, library, etc....

I usually keep taking them to gymnastics. I figure that physical activity is one that people can't go to if they are sick with the flu. Same for soccer and swimming (plus, wouldn't the chlorinated water be something of a disenfectant at the pool?)

I'm keeping them in activities, but I'm also willing to miss a few weeks while still paying. Last year, we skipped a week or two of selected activities when the flu season was at its peak. I think we missed church an extra week on either end. It's sad, but I firmly believe church is our worst culprit. People don't mind going to church sick and they feel guilty if they can't serve in a scheduled area.

Plus, we just wash our hands a lot. And I do use hand sanitizer if the hand washing isn't available.

I know these measures aren't a guarantee, but I figure that it made our odds better and we haven't had the flu the last few years. I actually can't remember the last time we DID have the flu?????

I have been a little concerned since I have been lambasted with pneumonia and severe bronchitis 3 times in the past 1 1/2 years so much so that I was acutely short of breath and required high dose prednisone this last time.:sad: My ds also got the croup again with this last episode which I was hoping that he outgrew.

On the other hand, I do not want to isolate us. I guess I will take it as it comes, but we are scheduled for many activities. If I hear that it is severe, then I suppose we will temporarily cut back on activities.

I recommend daily Vitamin D3 and lifeway kefir or stonyfield farm yogurt. Just check with your doctor first though.

I also keep on hand plain Mucinex to take at the first sign of a cold since it can help prevent pneumonia from what I read, but again check with your doctor.

I usually keep taking them to gymnastics. I figure that physical activity is one that people can't go to if they are sick with the flu. Same for soccer and swimming (plus, wouldn't the chlorinated water be something of a disenfectant at the pool?)

Is the swine flu one of the viruses that's contagious before you exhibit symptoms as well as after? That's the thing that worries me most. Probably I should look it up, but I'm hoping one of you has the answer:D

I am not sure it is what it is being made out to be by the media. I can't tell if the mortality rate is realy higher in pregnant women or not. The stats are just not consistant.

In one report it said 2 women in 350 confirmed cases, and one said 35 out all confirmed cases. The only mortality of a pregnant woman documented by the CDC said the woman had asthma.

I know the hospitalization rate is higher becasue OB docs are more likely to admit their pregnant patients with severe flu in any flu season because they just don't want to take the chance.

And, the recommendation is no different than any year for pregnant women and infants being on the top of the list. It also says care givers of children and healthcare workers are priority. That is not different. That is the recommendation for every flu season.

The only difference is the 19-25 age group. That is usually not a priority age group.

As far as limiting exposure, I am not going to pull my kids out of their activities unless the situation warrents it-- ie. large numbers, etc. We are working on lots of vitamin C and cod liver oil in our diets to boost our immune system. We typically don't get the flu- DH is a manditory recipient of the flu mist every year. I got a shot last year as I just had an infant and wanted to protect both of us. We may get flu shots/ mists this year-- I will talk to our doc and see what he thinks.

Is the swine flu one of the viruses that's contagious before you exhibit symptoms as well as after? That's the thing that worries me most. Probably I should look it up, but I'm hoping one of you has the answer:D

People are probably contagious for only about a day before symptoms appear. Adults are most contagious for 5-7 days after getting sick. Kids are contagious longer, for about 2 and possibly 3 weeks.

I had planned to cut back, yes. Then I found myself joining a small Co-Op I could not say no to because it was such a wonderful opportunity in many respects! :)

Otherwise though, we've already cut back on stuff. I am seriously concerned about it, especially since one of my kiddos has cold/flu-induced asthma (though so far not severe, thankfully). It will change in the fall - the question is how? If it's going to be severe, that's when it will happen.

I don't think it's being paranoid at all. Because this is a new strain, many people are (and will) come down with it. And based on the past 3 pandemics, all of them had a more severe stage. So IMO, it's prudent for our family to cut back.