Menu

Advice- I need new bakeware

I've had a love affair with Pampered Chef stones for about 10 years but it's over. I'm having problems with breakage. They are a pain to replace and then get seasoned perfectly. I'm done with them.

So, I need to start replacing them. I have no idea what to buy. I want something high quality but I really can't afford the All-Clad. What is a high quality brand that isn't quite as pricey? I don't mind shelling out some money as I cook/ bake a lot and really enjoy it. I just can't spend $100 on a cookie sheet.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Marie

What kind of bakeware are you looking for--cookie sheets and shallow bar pans, or something deeper, like casserole dishes? I really like my CorningWare French White dishes:

FWbakewareBeauty.jpg

I actually have these 3 sizes pictured--the 1.5 qt round casserole (2 of them), the 2.5 qt round casserole, a deep dish oval casserole, and a shallow oval casserole (not pictured). I have glass lids and flat plastic lids (not vented) for each of them. I don't know where I got mine, but they're probably about 8 years old now and going strong. http://www.corningware.com/index.asp?pageId=92

I will eventually have to replace all of it because I have really been on a roll breaking the stoneware.

I have a couple of those casserole dishes I got at my wedding shower and they are still going strong 13 years later.

I looked at the Chicago Metallic cookie sheets and they looked very nice and in my price range.

Thanks.

Marie

Then I'd recommend Calphalon. I recently replaced my el-cheapo cookie sheets with Calphalon pans. I have 2 9"x13" ones and 2 large ones (2x as big as the 9x13). They have 1" high sides. They're thick and heavy-ish.

They're like these, except they're light brown:

d_bw0102p.jpg

These are the classic non-stick; mine must be a different product line. I think I got them at Kohl's, but I think Bed, Bath & Beyond carries them too.

Ok, found them at the Kohl's website:

303744?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1303743?wid=230&hei=230&op_sharpen=1

Parchment paper with an el cheapo pan works great for cookies and other baked goods. I cook my chocolate chip cookies at 325 degrees on a pan with parchment paper until just slightly brown--very yummy.

For pizza, nothing beats a stone. But, you could try cheaper ones.

I have been very happy with the equipment reviews at CooksIllustrated.com. They have a 14 day free trial. If you get on their email list they send out emails that have great information too. I like that they rate cheap and expensive items, and then give their reasons why they liked/disliked each item.

Parchment paper with an el cheapo pan works great for cookies and other baked goods. I cook my chocolate chip cookies at 325 degrees on a pan with parchment paper until just slightly brown--very yummy.

My el cheapo pans rusted. I put up with them for several years (about 8), while they rusted under the turned edges, but when they finally started rusting on the cooking surface (from scratches and such, I suppose), that was enough.

I second the Chicago Metallic. I have alot of their baking stuff and it's great, and reasonable priced. I can't say enough about their bread and cake pans.

In fact, most of it falls under their "buy 3, get 1 free" offer. I have taken advantage of this many times in the past few years as I just went through replacing my baking pans and adding some items I have been needing.

You can mix and match items as well and still get this offer.

I bake a lot and have several favorites. My sil gave me two 1/2 sheet pans from Martha Stewart quite a few years ago (10?) that I just love. They clean up beautifully and are great for cookies, meatballs, jelly rolls, etc. My favorite for cookies are my airbake cookie sheets. I've had those for longer than I can remember. Again, they clean up really well (mine are still shiny silver) and haven't warped at all. For bar cookies and brownies I use pyrex or old fire king. I have a Pampered Chef stone for pizza and frozen fries, but never liked them for baking. The pans are ridiculously heavy when full and I chipped my stove with one taking it out of the oven. Good luck on your search.

My el cheapo pans rusted. I put up with them for several years (about 8), while they rusted under the turned edges, but when they finally started rusting on the cooking surface (from scratches and such, I suppose), that was enough.

OK, you're right--don't get bottom of the line el cheapo, get at least one grade up! I do have one cookie sheet that is now for magnetic letters only, it rusted.

For cookies, sm. Boboli bread and similar oven items I have these from Williams-Sonoma. They have lasted for over 12 years, multiple moves, and keep going. They work great with parchment paper or Silpat sheets. I do handwash my bakeware though. They come in both 1/4 and 1/2 sheet sizes. Similar models available in flat cookie sheets. I find that the cheap ones from WalMart tend to warp in the oven after a year or so and gave up on them. I think with that kind of lifespan they are worth the investment.

Link to Product Herepopup.cfm?tool=vLarger

I agree. Chicago metallic is awesome--heavy duty and easy to clean. These pans will actually make you a better baker--less likely to burn, cooks evenly, etc. Lots of people will ask me the secret to scones and great pans are always the first thing I mention.

Tori

Is Chicago Metallic non-stick metal?

They have both. The professional line is non-stick. Their commercial line is not. I get the commercial because I generally prefer not to use the non-stick. I do have one set of professional non-stick cake pans. Cooks Illustrated rated them #1.