Menu

Best version of Beowulf for a 2nd grader?

mo2

Morpurgo's version has wonderful illustrations and it is well written. I will be reading it to my 2nd grader in the fall. You can find a review of it on my blog, just scroll down a bit.

Thanks, Kai. I had actually already read your review of Morpurgo's Beowulf and had pretty much decided on it but thought maybe I'd better see if there were any other good options before I placed my Amazon order. It is probably what I will go with anyway.

We used H.E. Marshall's version from Yesterday's Classics. We loved it. I read it with a 2nd grader and a Kindy.

I would have to be mom to an exceptionally bloodthirsty 2nd grader for me to read "Beowulf" for that age
:confused: I would guess that most ppl here read Beowulf to a 2nd or 3rd grader, since the idea of reading adaptations of classic works to younger kids is one of the foundations to the WTM. I know not everyone here uses WTM, but that still just seems like an odd statement to me. Especially since Beowulf is a cool story, especially for younger kids....fighting dragons and getting treasure? What kid doesn't like that, lol.

Perhaps this is because I have not [yet] seen a version that is not bloodily graphic. I held off until around age 10. (with no psychological harm rendered to the boys from having waited ! :) ) I'll look into Marshall's rendering. Thanks for citing it.

We used H.E. Marshall's version from Yesterday's Classics. We loved it. I read it with a 2nd grader and a Kindy.

:confused: I would guess that most ppl here read Beowulf to a 2nd or 3rd grader, since the idea of reading adaptations of classic works to younger kids is one of the foundations to the WTM. I know not everyone here uses WTM, but that still just seems like an odd statement to me. Especially since Beowulf is a cool story, especially for younger kids....fighting dragons and getting treasure? What kid doesn't like that, lol.

I would have to be mom to an exceptionally bloodthirsty 2nd grader for me to read "Beowulf" for that age !

I think my kiddo is so innocent, he really doesn't comprehend the bloodiness. He likes the excitement, however. In real life, we can't kill anything but mosquitos. The death of a moth chokes him up.

and here is a blog review of the film that got poor ratings at Rotten Tomatoes, but, if you went to the breakdown of reviewers, it got an 8.5 for female reviewers over 45. Guess what I am?

Does anyone know this film. Kiddo loved Jason and the Argonauts, so cheesy doesn't offend him. Any sex, like every other filmed version?

http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2009/02/review-beowulf-prince-of-geats.html

This is a very "easy" one. I got it because kiddo loved Fisher's Cyclops and Theseus so much.

http://www.amazon.com/Hero-Beowulf-Eric-Kimmel/dp/0374306710/ref=pd_sim_b_4

I borrowed this from the library, and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It is a short version, but the illustrations kept their attention. We followed it with the retelling in Mary Pope Osborne's Favorite Medieval Tales.

and here is a blog review of the film that got poor ratings at Rotten Tomatoes, but, if you went to the breakdown of reviewers, it got an 8.5 for female reviewers over 45. Guess what I am?

Does anyone know this film. Kiddo loved Jason and the Argonauts, so cheesy doesn't offend him. Any sex, like every other filmed version?

http://unlocked-wordhoard.blogspot.com/2009/02/review-beowulf-prince-of-geats.html

I'd like to find one also. The only one I've seen was pretty gory and not really true to the story.

Thanks for all the recs. I've narrowed it down to either Morpurgo or Raven...still trying to decide. The illustrations look great. Thanks.

I don't know about Raven, but Morpurgo tells all three parts of the story. Many kids' versions end either after the slaying of Grendel or Grendel's mother. We enjoyed Rosemary Sutcliff, but it has few illustrations.