Menu

Curriculums that make a child think and form opinions

dancer67

I think I am in a curriculum rut. I am going into my 6th year of homeschooling and my soon to be 6th grader is BORED out of her mind.

(I think I might be as well)

I guess that is why I was asking what was out there that was new on the market. It seems that I see the same thing year after year. Which is a good thing, becuase that means these companies are doing well!!!!

But I want more then just a read and answer curriculum, more then redundant grammar, learning facts, memorizing dates, rote learning, and "Write 50 words on President Bush" type stuff.

What about something that really sparks a love for learning? What about something that really challenges your child, makes them think, investigate, have them form opinions? Hands on to cement things in?

Thoughts? Opinions?

No, I never really looked at it or considered it, because I was told it was very expensive, and it is very confusing to use.

Now, I am not sure if this is true or not. We have never done a unit study before.

I am NOT a fan of any curriclulum heavy in Grammar, and do not believe in diagramming. I am a firm believer that the more a child writes, the better their grammar becomes. And this has worked well for us, and just using a supplemental grammar course.

What makes TOG different then any other unit studies?(HOD, MFW, AWOA,WP, Sonlight............etc)

I do want something that is going to prepare, or surpass her high school peers, should she return to school for Grade 9.

I will take a close look at TOG. Thank you!:D

Many schools publish their curriculum standards for all the grade levels. Follow this and design your own curriculum, invite your daughter to participate. This will take a lot more work, but since it will be your own you will be very invested in it.

Some other ideas:

• when learning landforms, build and paint a model on a 1' square board that depicts X number of landforms she's expected to learn (I did this in 6th grade and LOVED it!)
  • do unit studies on topics of interest; for instance, if you're learning about the world, pick a country and learn about it in-depth--food, traditional clothing, architecture, inventions, religions, history, current affairs, agriculture, etc. One country could easily segue into another country based on migrations/colonization/warfare (7 degrees of X country--Australia, S. Africa, U.S., India, and China are all connected historically by England, so you could study all of those countries) or use Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? for nearly the same outcome
  • Make science hands-on--lots of good books for this. You might be able to get a cow heart from the butcher for dissection purposes, or go fishing and use the cleaning of the fish chore to learn about anatomy (my dad and I did this when I was a kid).

Yes, I was in the same rut.

This is what I discovered and am using :

http://www.connectthethoughts.net/

I haven't seen anything else that stimulates independent thinking like this. It's only been a week though so I am not ready to rave about it. Go to currclick and check out the demos.

After years of having them swallow knowledge...I feel I may have found something that actually reaches my kids and respects them. They have never developed much of a love of learning with anything we have done so far, using classical or CM, but this week alone I have seen a change of attitude. It's hands on, it asks for opinions- lots- it is all about investigating and finding out for yourself rather than handing over information. The whole point of the curriculum is to make a kid think for themselves. For me, it seems to be what I was always looking for but never even knew it until I saw it.

It wont meet "classical" criteria, but that doesnt bother me any more.

No, I never really looked at it or considered it, because I was told it was very expensive, and it is very confusing to use.

Now, I am not sure if this is true or not. We have never done a unit study before.

I am NOT a fan of any curriclulum heavy in Grammar, and do not believe in diagramming. I am a firm believer that the more a child writes, the better their grammar becomes. And this has worked well for us, and just using a supplemental grammar course.

What makes TOG different then any other unit studies?(HOD, MFW, AWOA,WP, Sonlight............etc)

I do want something that is going to prepare, or surpass her high school peers, should she return to school for Grade 9.

We will be using TOG for the first time this year, but I can make some comments and perhaps others will chime in as well. First of all, TOG itself does not include grammar. It does include writing, but if you want your child to learn grammar you must supplement it. (They do have recommendations, but it is up to you entirely.) Additionally, TOG does not include math, science, handwriting or Latin.

The program itself is classical education with an emphasis on Christian world view. It is a unit study program, which means that the subjects are all connected with a "spine". In this case, the "spine" is history. With each year of study, the students' literature, history, geography, philosophy, government and writing assignments will all be woven together. There is a rich layout of materials to choose from, somewhat like a smorgasboard - and I am told that it would be impossible to do it all. You have the freedom to customize your plan to fit the needs, interests and age levels within your family. One important aspect is the Socratic discussions, which help a student think through topics and situations. The goal is to help them to become independent thinkers, understanding what they believe and able to articulate knowledge well and defend their faith as adults.

There is a four year rotation of history, and a family can actually use the same primary set of books, but purchase appropriate grade level resource materials. It can be expensive, but there are ways to cut down on the costs, and frankly I have found that the first year is similar in cost to Sonlight Core 5 that I would have purchased. And considering that if you stay with TOG you will use the main set of books more than once with repeated studies of that era of history, it makes it an even better investment.

I've heard some negative things about TOG too, but I have heard much, much more positive than negative. I've decided to try it out for myself because what I've learned about it so far sounds like a wonderful way to educate my dd. There is a lot of support for people there, and so I can get all the help that I might need.

I do hope you check it out as you consider what your dc need and I want to encourage you to push aside the naysayers and form your own opinion. There are also a number of TOG users here on this website that have much more experience than I do. Hopefully they can address some of your questions I have not answered.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

So I am trying Connect the Thoughts, we are going to give that a whirl.

And I am also investigating TOG.

Is TOG going to go DE for everything? Because that would be a deciding factor for us.

Right now, we are printing several pages from CTT, and I cannot imagine printing out pages from TOG. And my daughter hates reading and doing schoolwork on a computer. Writing papers, yes. But not doing a whole curriculum.

Sonlight was another one I had considered. But it is awful expensive JUST for a History, Lit and Bible program. Abd you would need to add in your own hands on.

I gave WP a look as well, but again, the price, and only covers certain subjects.

Wow! Connect the Thoughts looks really great! I don't have enough time to complete an 6-8 year history rotation, but the material is thorough and definitely makes the child think! I think I'll get the Upper School Science Basics. From the samples I love how it introduces the Scientific Method. My DD8th can repeat what the Scientific Method is, and can do what her text books tell her to do with it, but I don't think she really "gets" it. I think this will solidify it for her.

I'm looking at using BJU DVD for science and history for my younger DD when she's in 6th grade. I love that in the samples for both of these the teachers actually tell the child to actively *think* about the answer to the question. By 6th grade the child should be out of the "grammar" stage and into the "logic" stage where curriculum should have more critical analysis and not just spoon feeding information.

My other question would be if your DD is bored, does she need to skip a grade level in any of her subjects?

I think *ALL* of the programs you list will provide more opportunities to *think* about what you're learning and to *discuss* ideas with the parent. Have you tried any of these methods?

We use MFW and that is something I love about this type of learning. The program first provides a very firm framework for understanding how the world is built (historically, Biblically, science-wise), and then it allows time to flesh it out according to your interests and passions (because you're not spending time on the learn-n-forget methods).

Because of this thread, I decided to research Connect the Thoughts. I had a few questions and e-mailed the author directly. Within a few hours, I received a very informative and gracious reply complete with links and suggestions. It was not a sales pitch, either, far from it. I described my son to him and asked if he thought his product was a good fit for him. He replied with, "I don't know", and suggested many ways to try the program without making a large financial commitment. The feeling I got was that this program is truly a labor of love for him and not just an income source. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact him. He is more than willing to help.

I am going to do a bit more research and see how my son responds to the first part of the program. Thanks for bringing this curriculum to my attention.

Blessings,

Lisa

Guest afloydsc

Have you read anything about Charlotte Mason? Her techniques really do promote deep and thoughtful interaction between the child and the material. We use Ambleside Online with some tweaking (www.amblesideonline.org). The great thing is that it is a method that you can apply successfully with books you choose. The curriculum itself uses a lot of classics, which you can find very inexpensively used or check out of the library. Other important books are available free to download online. But, again, it is a method not a booklist!

Amy Floyd

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/graciefloyd

my soon to be 6th grader is BORED out of her mind.

But I want more then just a read and answer curriculum, more then redundant grammar, learning facts, memorizing dates, rote learning, and "Write 50 words on President Bush" type stuff.

What about something that really sparks a love for learning? What about something that really challenges your child, makes them think, investigate, have them form opinions? Hands on to cement things in?

Have you read The Well Trained Mind book that this site is based on? It'll help you design the kind of education you are talking about here.

A Thomas Jefferson Education will help a child think for themselves, and to logically figure out things because they are taught how to think, not what to think. It is a classics based styleand teaches children great work ethics.

Wow! Connect the Thoughts looks really great! I don't have enough time to complete an 6-8 year history rotation, but the material is thorough and definitely makes the child think!

Just in comment to the 6-8 year history rotation- it's not. The courses are about a semester each- 18 weeks. You could easily stretch them out but they can be done in that time. Since I am starting with Medieval we will be able to relax and fit in a good dose of Australian history as well as finish our present history cycle- perfect for us. I like the look of the final history course too- an overview of world history and the value of learning it.

Because of this thread, I decided to research Connect the Thoughts. I had a few questions and e-mailed the author directly. Within a few hours, I received a very informative and gracious reply complete with links and suggestions. It was not a sales pitch, either, far from it. I described my son to him and asked if he thought his product was a good fit for him. He replied with, "I don't know", and suggested many ways to try the program without making a large financial commitment. The feeling I got was that this program is truly a labor of love for him and not just an income source. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact him. He is more than willing to help.

I am going to do a bit more research and see how my son responds to the first part of the program. Thanks for bringing this curriculum to my attention.

Blessings,

Lisa

Yes, it is a labour of love for him- he wrote it for his own kids who were in private schools and not learning anything much. But his kids are moved on and he has brought the price of the course right down- it wont make him a living but he has spent thousands of hours writing it. He has a passion and a vision.

And btw, we did the first two courses orally together and the kids responded well. It helped us move through them in a day each.

Yes, it is a labour of love for him- he wrote it for his own kids who were in private schools and not learning anything much. But his kids are moved on and he has brought the price of the course right down- it wont make him a living but he has spent thousands of hours writing it. He has a passion and a vision.

And btw, we did the first two courses orally together and the kids responded well. It helped us move through them in a day each.

I have to say that he has been incredible. I have e-mailed him several times and he gets back to me with a prompt and thorough reply. Thanks for responding, Peela. I am going to try the free course with my son today and I think I am going to do it orally. That is a great idea. Please keep us updated with your children's progress.

Blessings,

Lisa

Thanks, Dancer-I did find and watch the video-now I'm looking at samples. May ck out the yahoo group as well. I am looking for something like this that makes them *think*-dd9 is very advanced and I like the looks of TOG but it is SO history heavy, and plus she needs this thinking and connections type of learning across the curriculum. I'm not sure yet if this would work with our Christian views so I need to do more research. Thanks!

ETA: No, this won't work for us. It was fun to look at though!

Edited by HappyGrace

I am one that never found TOG confusing. I could see exactly how it would do what I wanted from day 1, though it probably helped that I knew exactly what I wanted. ;)

The difference between TOG and the other literature programs you mentioned is they only have comprehension questions or use CM style narration. TOG at the D and R levels asks thinking questions for world view, history, government and literature.

To find these questions when you go to the samples look at the "Student Activity Pages" (SAP). On each page down in the bottom corner there will be a color. Green is the Dialect level that I would suspect you would use, though some people don't start it till 7th grade. The blue would be Retoric, if you want to see where it is going. The answers are listed in the "Teachers Notes" because the SAP are to be printed out and given to the child to work from. The evaluations CD also has additional written work, so you might want to also look at that.

Heather