Menu

SUV that holds eight...

The Pilot is tight for 8. We love ours, but we're a family of 4 so the 3rd row was a bonus for us. I can carpool now but, I can't fit ANYTHING behind the 3rd row when it's up. In other words, don't expect to go grocery shopping and take all 8 with you.

Blessings!

Dorinda

I have similar experience with my Dodge Durango!

It seats 8, but there's virtually no room in the back if you have a carload of people!

We have four children, so two in the middle row, and two in the back row. You can fit some grocery bags in the very back, but that's about it! We can't all go to Costco, in other words! We have to leave at least two children home for that trip.

When we go on vacation, we have to take a rooftop carrier for the suitcases!

I miss having a minivan!!! There just seemed to be more room! You could fit things on the floor, which you just can't do in the SUV.

My oldest son has always ridden in the rear section, but he's now moved up to the middle section because he's almost 6 feet tall and there's no leg room in the 3rd row seat.

Well, I've had a minivan for over ten years and I'm ready for a change! ;) I don't want a huge truck, just something like a Honda Pilot. It must hold 8, all with shoulder belts.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thanks!

Lisa

My Pilot holds 8 and my Suburban held 8, as do the larger Excalades. So do the Durangos, larger Toyota, etc. 8 is very, very easy. It's when you get up to 9 that it gets tough.

I have a Chevy Traverse. Mine seats 7, (We got the LT2) but it can come with seating for 8. I'm not sure on the lap shoulder belts for all seat positions though. I can quite picture how that would work.

Incidentally the Chevrolet Traverse, Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia are basically the same vehicle. They just have different exterior styling.

We got this because you can put 6 adults in there. Granted the adults in the third row better not be big strapping guys, but I and my dh have both sat there just fine.

My parents have a Toyota Sequoia. There are just two of them, but it is great when we are all in town. Very roomy and the ride is smooth. Lots of attention to detail in terms of vents, temp controls, volume controls, drink holders, leg room, etc.

My mom has a Sequoia too. She loves it. It seats 8 and does so comfortably.

We love our Suburban. It holds 8, but it is an older model, so two of the seats have only lap belts. I think the newer models might offer shoulder straps on all seats. Plus, the newer engines drop two cylinders on the highway, so they get better gas mileage.

Honestly, with 7 people, we went with the Odyssey over the Pilot. The Pilot's third row is tight. For 8, the Pilot would be very tight. I recommend test driving the Pilot with all 8 in the vehicle.

Me too. I sat my kids and the bare minimum of equipment we must have to travel with us every day in a Pilot -- the back end area is a joke. We'd not have managed even a grocery store trip with it. The Odyssey has been so super. Fits everything, all of us, plus luggage/equipment for SN. The back row is comfy, too. It is *fantastic*. And? It goes when I put my foot down. :D

We love our Suburban. It holds 8, but it is an older model, so two of the seats have only lap belts. I think the newer models might offer shoulder straps on all seats. Plus, the newer engines drop two cylinders on the highway, so they get better gas mileage.

:iagree:Ours gets about 18 around town and 25 on highway.

Our Sequoia seats 8 VERY comfortably. After my experience with my Odyssey and hearing others talk about how poorly theirs are aging, I would never buy another Honda unless it was a Civic or Accord.

LOVE my Sequoia. I actually am looking forward to driving to NC next month because I can drive it!

Thanks all. We have an Odyssey now. It's only 5 years old and not aging well. I'm surprised others are experiencing the same thing.

We only have 4 kids, but constantly have friends in the car.

I will have to check into all of the cars you mentioned. We're gonna be looking at cars tomorrow!

Thanks for all of your thoughts and reviews!

I have a Saturn Outlook which I love. There isn't a lot of trunk space though. Well it's really not any less than we had in our mini-van. My next vehicle will be a Suburban or Yukon XL. My MIL has one and I really like it.

Love my Saturn Outlook too. Not quite as much storage as the minivan, but the third row is the most comfortable that I have seen.

I have similar experience with my Dodge Durango!

It seats 8, but there's virtually no room in the back if you have a carload of people!

We have four children, so two in the middle row, and two in the back row. You can fit some grocery bags in the very back, but that's about it! We can't all go to Costco, in other words! We have to leave at least two children home for that trip.

When we go on vacation, we have to take a rooftop carrier for the suitcases!

I miss having a minivan!!! There just seemed to be more room! You could fit things on the floor, which you just can't do in the SUV.

My oldest son has always ridden in the rear section, but he's now moved up to the middle section because he's almost 6 feet tall and there's no leg room in the 3rd row seat.

We have a Durango as well. And while it technically seats 8, it is an extremely tight squeeze. 2 in the back row, 3 in the 2nd row, and up to 3 in the first row. HOWEVER, it is an extremely tight fit in the first row, and only a small kid can really fit in that middle seat - and usually if the kid is small enough to fit there you really should have them in a booster seat anyway. You could fit a very small adult or teen there, but you have hardly any room whatsoever.

I also am very leery of the safety of the person in the middle seat in the front row. We rarely will have anyone in that seat.

I personally hate minivans with a passion. We have a full size van, but it only seats 7 because it has captain's chairs in the 2nd row. But is very roomy. However we did used to have an 8 passenger van, and that was great - fit all the minions plus a guest and still have plenty of room for groceries, etc. But I digress.....

Good luck and let us know how you make out! Hopefully you can find some good deals on one since so may people started dumping their SUVs the last two years due to gas prices.

Another vote for Saturn Outlook here!

I've had 2 minivans, an Expedition, and finally found the Saturn Outlook about a year ago. It is an 8 passenger SUV crossover, that drives like a car. (I was never comfortable driving the Expedition...too big and "truck-like" on the highways.)

I absolutely LOVE mine. The 3rd row is large enough for adults, and offers several options for folding down seats for extra cargo room. All seats slide and fold easily to allow easy access to 3rd row for the kiddos.

HTH.

I just noticed today that my Chevy Traverse does have lap shoulder belts for all seats. It's tucked neatly into the ceiling. Nifty! We haven't used the center seat yet so I hadn't thought to look.

That means the Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia do too. Of course, this is probably something everyone else already knew. :tongue_smilie: