Menu

HOD/MFW and multiple children

Hi,

I will introduce myself first. I am a SAHM of 4 kiddos. We just started homeschooling this last year.

We chose HOD and while I do like it I am having a hard time with this many kids. With my kid's ages, we are doing 3 guides between 4 kids and that is the best we will ever do with combining. We are doing LHTH, LHFHG, and BHFHG right now.

It seems as if I am playing musical children while we school. Send one kid out, bring 2 to the table...you get the picture.

I have been looking at MFW recently and like that I could keep all the kids together for history and science.

I have searched and read a lot of HOD vs MFW posts and such.

Has anyone done 3 guides with HOD and not felt overwhelmed? I know a lot of large families do MFW pretty well. Not that 4 kids is large :lol:

I have almost totally decided that we will try something else next term than HOD and MFW looks appealing.

I was just wondering if anyone had left HOD for MFW b/c of not being able to combine easily? or if someone had went from MFW to HOD and what your reasons were?

I guess I am just looking for some pros/cons here from somebody that has btdt. I am trying to research more before purchasing again and make sure that I am making the right decision.

Thanks for any advise/help in advance.

I'll be watching this thread, because I've had many of the same thoughts/questions as you. We are using two HOD guides right now, but eventually it'll be 3 if we stick with HOD.

Eventually they are supposed to work more independently with HOD, so at some point things will get easier. Have you read at HOD's site the reasoning behind limiting the age range of each guide, as opposed to combining a wide range of ages? She makes some good points.

All that being said, I'm entertaining the idea of maybe trying out MFW at some point. Who knows. We are only a few weeks into Beyond so I'll have to see what I think several months from now.

You can combine in HOD just like you can MFW. Put your youngers with the older until the older is in a much more independent level. Then keep the youngers together. You just use the left side for everyone, add a few younger library books on the topic if you want, and do Math and LA on the right level for every child. That's essentially the way MFW works. It's target ages are 4-6 with supp's for 7-8 and youngers can sit in and get what they can from it plus you get library books of your choice for them. You can do the exact same thing with the HOD guides! It's just harder to see it as that b/c it doesn't actually say it on the guide...so it just seems more limited. You could use one guide for the oldest, and put everyone together for teh left side and use the right side of the lower guides for the youngers.

ETA: I've used MFW PK, K, 1st and ECC and HOD LHTH, LHFHG, BLGFHG, and BHFHG. I know it's great to combine, but I honestly found it easier with HOD. We're taking a break from full, formal schooling this year beyond the basics and lots of literature (for history/science) since it's a tough season, but I'd love to be able to handle the full load and keep all my kids in 1 HOD guide. I agree it was hard to use more than one at a time when things got hectic.

Edited by hmschooling

MFW was written for families to be able to stay together in all subjects except math and LA, so there's a variety of texts/resources used in the core packages which are scheduled in the lesson plans, and then there's an even wider range of book and video titles in the back of the TMs (beginning with Adventures). (This booklist is known as "Book Basket".)

No matter what program you use, you'll always need something separate for little ones still in the learn-to-read stage, at least for phonics and math. But they can listen in to the read-alouds and music, and do many of the hands-on projects and even some of the notebooking that their older siblings are doing in your main "family" program.

So let's say your oldest is 2nd or 3rd grade. You'd do Adventures, and everyone who's able would listen in and participate for as much as their attention span will allow. But each child will always do math and LA at their own level. However, you only need ONE program for history, science, Bible, and enrichment subjects. Always.

MFW K and 1st grade are for those in the phonics/learning to read stage. If you have one or more still in this stage with an older child who's already reading, you would do a main history core geared primarily to that older child, while the youngers enjoy listening in and doing whatever hands-on they're able. Youngers are doing K or 1st grade (as needed) for phonics and math at that level. (Or whatever phonics/math program you have.)

Adventures is for families whose oldest child is in 2nd or 3rd grade and reading.

ECC is for everyone, with a supplement package for junior highers. (This is what we're using right now with an 8th grader, 5th grader, and K/1st grader.)

Everything from Creation to the Greeks through 1850-Modern is for everyone, with no additional supplement package needed for olders because the TM includes assignments for "Advanced" students. They would do these mostly independently after your group assignments are done with the whole family. (My 8th grader will actually be doing 1850-Modern mostly independently after September, as we'll be setting ECC aside for a while to do American history.)

Then in high school, oldest child is doing a separate program mostly independently with check-in times with mom and dad (which are scheduled). You're preparing him/her for college and the real world at this point.

EVERY program in MFW except K, 1st, and high school includes age-appropriate books, videos, and hands-on activities for every family member, especially if you use that extensive booklist in the back of the TM. (Adventures is one slight exception, as it's assumed that your oldest child is only 7 or 8, or a 9yo 3rd grader, while using Adventures, so much of the Book Basket list is geared toward younger children, not older.)

You can either use the library for Book Basket, or purchase some of the titles if you don't have a decent library option. (The Hazell's were missionaries in Russia for 8 years, so they know what it's like not to have a library available!) Marie has asterisked some of the titles that she recommends for purchase, and every single book and video on that list has been previewed by her or her family for content. (She's raised and homeschooled 6 children; the youngest is now 14, I think.) She's included notes with parent alerts where there might be sensitive material, evolutionary remarks (she does this with ALL the books that they sell or recommend, not just the Book Basket list), and age appropriateness.

Here's a link to the MFW boards where you might spend some time reading through the Archives and other information: http://board.mfwbooks.com/

Oh, I almost forgot... about our experience with HOD. I've bought 4 different HOD TMs to study through with the possibility of using HOD with my two younger kids, while keeping my older dd in MFW. (There isn't an HOD program written yet for my oldest dd's age.) I really, really *wanted* HOD to be a good fit for my younger gals because they're a different personality than oldest. And quite frankly, I love the books that HOD uses! But I think the main thing that bothered me was that a lot of the hands-on stuff seemed really "young" for what the history spines were teaching. They just didn't seem to match up very well. (IMO, of course. I know not everyone feels that way. :) ) And I found this to be true of every single one of the TMs I had.

They say that HOD can be beefed up for an older child, but having come from MFW to HOD, what I found was that most of the books, including those in the extension package intended for older siblings, had already been read at our house. I know that isn't true in some families, so perhaps that idea works fine for some. It didn't here, I guess because of what we'd already done before trying HOD. So maybe it's more apparent to me because we weren't doing HOD from the beginning?

Anyway, I like the *idea* of HOD. It just didn't work out for our family, so we'll be sticking with MFW long term. Even if I'd used HOD with my two youngest, I'd be using two separate guides for them, at very different levels because they're so age/grade specific. Plus a 3rd program from somewhere else for my oldest.

Anyway, I like the *idea* of HOD. It just didn't work out for our family, so we'll be sticking with MFW long term. Even if I'd used HOD with my two youngest, I'd be using two separate guides for them, at very different levels because they're so age/grade specific. Plus a 3rd program from somewhere else for my oldest.

Yes, that is what I have found out. I am actually using 3 guides right now with the 4 kids and there is no way to combine them any differenlty b/c of the skills required for each guide.

I also feel the activities seem younger than the history spine, but the children aren't ready for the older guides.

Oh and my kids are 9,8,6, and 2.

I have went to the MFW board and the HOD board and read, but to be truthful it was recommended to me to go to a non-affiliated board (by a friend) and see what kind of answers I got. I did get a wealth of knowledge from both boards. I liked the fact that no one with a vested interest in the curriculum could reply here. I think that makes a big difference. You are getting replies from people in the same position as you are and there is a different feel to a non-affiliated board.

It is a while before next term and I have to finish using what I already have and then I am going to make a decision. So I hope the replies, opinions, and experiences keep coming. I am going to make a more informed decision before purchasing anything this time.

Edited by OpenMinded

I love HOD, really I do. I also see the author's reasons for having more of an age specific program. I think she is a brilliant writer with an amazing curriculum. That being said, we will be using Winter Promise this coming school year. I grappled with that decision for some time, and try as I might I didn't see a way to combine my kids. We used 2 guides at once and next year it would have been 3. I narrowed the choices down to MFW and WP, and decided to give WP a whirl because I liked having the extra crafts and things (my dd was drooling over them...). I know that for us, combining is extremely important to our success, but of course, that may not be the case for everyone. Even now I can't seem to let the HOD guides go:). Maybe I can use a few of her great ideas in our other endeavors. Best of luck to you in making a decision! I know it isn't easy:grouphug:

Coleen

I didn't read everyone's responses- but I did read your original post.

I am doing three HOD guides right now- in fact, I am doing the exact three you mentioned...

LHTH, LHFHG, and BHFHG...

I have six children 9.8.6 1/2, 5. 3 1/2, and 1.

I tried MFW when I first started my oldest. I found it very kinesthetic and overwhelming for me personally- although the bible concepts, "spirit" of the curriculum is wonderful. I am also extremely literary and I didn't like that particular unit study approach. HOD is more flexible for me and I can add more literature wherever I feel led and it doesn't throw us for a loop. I am also one of those ladies who is always running up fees at the library so the library aspect wasn't for me... I know that you can purchase as many books as you want and I did do that- but that was still an issue for me. I had trouble getting a nice flow with MFW and balancing it with all my children.

I have used K and 1st of MFW.

I prefer HOD discipling "feel" and christ- centered focus. Although- MFW is awesome in God and that is one reason why I wish it would have worked. I felt it was too light with literature and DISLIKE very much jumping around in books and reading a piece here and a piece there... it just aggravates me and I knew that I would always have issue with that...

I cannot give you a pro/con on using MFW as it is designed for multiple students as I never used those programs (ECC, etc.)

What are your kids ages?

Homeschooling is demanding- no matter what program you choose- and it can take awhile to get into a good groove.

It took us a few months with HOD to really start moving along smoothly. It also took me sitting down with my husband, our school needs, and a schedule, and figuring out an order and plan for our day. In fact, this is what has seemed to help me the most.

I would be happy to answer any questions...

I will pop back on here throughout the day/evening...

Also- in the first few years of home schooling I TRIED SO MANY THINGS!!!! And it all was an education (for ME) and helped me define what worked for me and what didn't- what my style was and what our family needed.

Don't be afraid to try something new. Don't be upset if it doesn't work out. Consider it experience gained and a lesson learned.

For me, HOD is too light in science. So we add to that... However, it took me four years of home schooling and six children added to our family to really know that HOD is the choice for me and it is okay to tweak as I need.

I have to run- I hope this makes sense...

Sincerely,

Rebecca

just a quick add on... We enjoy the activities. I have found that my children can DO them without needing me to do them for them...

Activities are not a main focus of our home school- so I am glad to have simple ones that are designed to make them think, teach a lesson, and I am able to actually get it done.

Some things in HOD can seem "younger" but I have seen the fruit in my children and it is because of THAT that I won't leave.

I understand what you mean about each guide being so skill specific. I think in any family- you have to take it and make it work for you...

Rebecca

I don't think it would be any easier to combine with MFW than with HOD. Many HOD moms combine their children for various subjects. I love that each HOD is written for a specific skill level. This is our first year trying HOD - we've been using Little Hearts since early summer and started Preparing last week. Those two particular programs go along so well together that it feels like it's one program. My younger son has been participating in Preparing, he's listened to all the readings and done the activities with us. I could have just as easily used Preparing with him. Any curriculum that you use will have to be adjusted to accomodate the skill level of each child. That is why I switched to HOD. We have used several other curriculum and I haven't found any other that allows for a gradual progression in skill development the way that HOD does.

I understand what you mean about having one child come in, send him out, have another come in... musical children :tongue_smilie:. I've done that and I hate it. What I'm doing now is working with my oldest son first, doing all the things with him that require my input, and then when he moves on to the work that he can do independently, I start Little Hearts with my youngest. Most of the time (so far), my youngest is sitting in on Preparing but he doesn't have to and I don't start his work at all until I've gotten the older settled in.

If you used materials for LA and math that are not incorporated into a specific guide (which is how it is with MFW - their grid plugs the subject in for you but not like HOD that tells you specifically what to do), you could use one guide to combine for the other subjects and it seems to me like overall it would feel the same way as MFW. Probably, in using MFW instead, the advantage, as far as combining, would be that MFW has the extensive book lists.... so using those would help to pull in children of different ages. But, still, you would have to work on their individual skills. And, I got so burned out trying to go through the lists and locate the books then determine which ones I wanted to use. I'm sure I went overboard on that but you would have to do it to some extent to make the guide truly cover a range of ages.

I pray you find what works best for you. I think both are great. I just really love the focus on skill development that HOD offers. I also like the books much more than the ones that we used when doing MFW. Whichever you go with, you will be making adaptations in regards to the activities and time requirement expectations.

We love MFW. I have 4 dd's and this winter I took on my sisters 4. It was the only thing that got us through our day. I literally photocopied the week's schedule and let my dd's check off what they had accomplished. Okay, not the best way...but going from 4 to 8 dc in one night it got school done for that season.

Now that I am back to my 4 it is so much simpler. We do a week's worth of history, music, art, science in one day and Bible in the morning. Other than that little teacher prep for me and easy accountability for them.

I do believe it is very doable for those with many dc.

What are your kids ages?

My kids are 9,8,6, and 2

It took us a few months with HOD to really start moving along smoothly. It also took me sitting down with my husband, our school needs, and a schedule, and figuring out an order and plan for our day. In fact, this is what has seemed to help me the most.

I have a very strict schedule for HOD or else I would literally be teaching all day. We are schooling from 9am-2pm including lunch and recess. It isn't finishing HOD or scheduling that is making HOD hard for me. My school age kids are very close in age each one a year apart or almost the biggest age gap with my school-aged children is a little over 2 yrs not even a 2 1/2 yr age gap and we are doing 3 guides and 2 different history cycles that will be 3 different history cycles eventually. Being in different history cycles, I think it would get confusing for my 6 and 7 yr old to be listening in to American History while they are studying World History if that makes sense. The history cycle is what is frustrating about HOD with 3 kids in 3 guides and b/c of the skills required I can't just put them all in the left side of one guide. BHFHG would be too much for my youngers and LHFHG wouldn't be enough for my oldest.

For me, HOD is too light in science. So we add to that... However, it took me four years of home schooling and six children added to our family to really know that HOD is the choice for me and it is okay to tweak as I need.

I am already supplementing with Science for LHFHG. Well actually, we don't do LHFHG science at all. I prefer secular science b/c I am not young earth and HOD avoids anything that conflicts with the young earth theory. MFW doesn't do this as much and seems to give more freedom of whether you want to include other theories or leave them out at your own discretion.

I'm not really that big on tweaking. If I buy a guide and then I have to add here and there and don't use this and that and then all I am left with is say the math schedule or following their history, then I kind of feel I could have saved money and mix and matched all by myself.

I like that their math and LA are not included because then I can choose materials that work for them and go at each child's pace. I don't feel like we are behind if we spent extra time on a math lesson and it doesn't hurt anything if dd wants to do extra grammar lessons or memorize a poem early. I can make those building skills match their needs and still work as a family for the rest of it.

The other things I feel the need to tweak with HOD is with Language Arts. We are using First Language Lessons. I am not all that fond of Rod and Staff English for various reasons. We tried R&S 2 this year, but I have switched to First Language Lessons instead.

I find HOD's spelling lists to be really easy and the dictation so far is super easy also. I don't see it improving their spelling and grammer from doing HOD's spelling and dictation alone.

In Math, we are way ahead in our HOD guide and I have to keep tabs for each kid in different guides. This isn't too bad, but I wish I would have just bought the HIG for Singapore and used that instead to schedule our math. I have found the activities in HOD to seem young and do not really explain the Singapore Method.

If I take extra time one on one for our math or language arts to clarify or help, then my schedule is shot. We are schooling 5 hours right now and that is without my youngest in a "real" school year. Once we add him in, I can see it adding on another hour at least with HOD.

Here are my cons of using HOD

1. My oldest child will always be in a guide by herself

2. My youngest child will always be in a guide by himself

3. We will always be in different points on the history cycle with all the kids

4. Light spelling and vocabulary

5. American History in back to back guides BLHFHG and BHFHG

6. DITHOR is overwhelming and is used in all the guides from BHFHG on up-so I would be needing a different reading program.

I can't make a similar list for MFW b/c I have never seen it in person. I have only downloaded samples.

Now, my little one can get lost in the shuffle of the big kids' needs so I got LHTH for her so that she would have things scheduled daily. I am a bit frustrated with it right now. Having no supply list is frustrating. I am use to the exhaustive lists provided by MFW. I guess I have been spoiled because now I am reading through the whole darn thing making weekly lists.

I have made a supply list in word up to unit 14 I think from a template someone else used for LHFHG supply list. It would be easy to fill in the rest of the way if you want it pm me. We are on unit 9 and I have just been trying to keep ahead of where we are as I go with the list. Oh yeah buy stock in masking tape you will go through a ton of it.

What is drawing me to MFW-

1. The history cycle and keeping everyone on the same cycle

2. They seem stronger in Language Arts (spelling, vocabulary, and grammer)

3. They use SOTW and I am really intrigued by using it.

4. They don't avoid topics as much to stay young earth...it is your decision if you want to include it or avoid it or discuss it with your viewpoint

I appreciate everyone's replies and viewpoints. It is really helping me to see the differences in the programs by people who have done them and by some who have tried both.

Honestly,

you sound pretty disastified with Heart of Dakota. That is okay. Like I wrote-it is okay to switch programs... I would if I felt like you do.

I think a more common recommendation for you would have been to choose Beyond for all three of your kids. And then just beef up certain areas for the older one. Beyond is/was way too young for my son who was 8 when we started HOD, though- so I understand if the rec. seemed unworkable.

I have a very close age span between my first four children. My oldest turned four one month before my daughter was born. My oldest (9 year old) is less than 2 1/2 years older than my third son. That said- I am freed and relieved to focus on my individual children rather than losing some in the shuffle with a multi-age program. Just this week I was pondering if my six year old would be better served by combining with his brothers- but he is just not there in many ways and it is BETTER for him to be in LHFHG and I wouldn't change the precious moments I have had with him this year for anything. However, MFW was written for the very reason you have said- to teach everyone together and so that you are only teaching one program with children age 2nd grade and up.

As far as the history cycle- I understand. I subscribe to a more CM approach and she recommended teaching multiple streams of history. True CM schedules world and national history every year. I like this for my family and it hasn't been confusing for us at all.

I understand what you are saying about the LA, etc.

I do not teach HOD "as written" in math, spelling, grammar,reading, dictation, either. I use the boxes as a reminder rather than a "schedule." I like to do some things every day- then when we unexpectedly miss a day- I am not crazily behind. So- I didn't like that part. We are ahead in math too- and I just used the plans that we needed as we needed them. I prefer to finish a math level a year- and it is taking us longer than a year to finish our HOD... so that didn't work for me and I won't follow that schedule again.

From what I understand- dictation gets more difficult in Preparing with more options. I have been using Spelling Wisdom with my advanced son- but the HOD guide is a perfect fit for my second son.

I also schedule a two hour "table school" time for everyone first grade and up. We work together on math, spelling, grammar, writing, reading, lower left box of Bigger Hearts, and some other little things I added in. This helped my day. My older children have independent work scheduled at other times and we meet for the directed HOD boxes at other times, too.

I pray the Lord gives you His peace and you sense His blessing on your school.

MFW is a great program. It is really sound academically. I don't think you could go wrong... and if it fits your family- it sounds like it would be a great blessing.

Sincerely,

Rebecca

When I started HOD it was with LHTH for my ds who was just turned 2 at the time b/c he really wasn't talking and I thought some guided time spent with just him would help. My 3 other dc were in public school last year. Then when ps went south for my ds6 (kindergarten) and we didn't even know if he would pass, I bought LHFHG (afterschooling) and loved it and I credit starting it with helping him to pass the exit tests for kindergarten and ultimately pass. So I did like HOD when I was doing just 1 program with 1 kid. I automatically bought BHFHG for my oldest daughter because of how much I liked it with the boys one on one.

It isn't that I don't like HOD and it's concepts. I think it would be great if I was working one HOD guide with 1 kid or even 1 HOD guide with 2 kids, but doing 3 guides with 4 kids...it has just shown me where I want to try something else.

I am not saying if I go to MFW for a term that I will love it and never look back and I am not saying I will never go back to HOD. I may combine them all in history and hate it. In theory, it solves the problems I am having with HOD. Will I find different problems by switching? Maybe. When I bought BHFHG I was convinced that I would teach all of the kids up until 8th grade with it. I really didn't research anything else and I had no clue what CM, classical...all meant. I had no clue that there was a young earth debate in curriculum. That is how naive I was I thought all curriculum even Bible-based taught all the theories as theories not facts.

My oldest is advanced and actually placed in Preparing or CTC! I held her back to BHFHG to get a feel for HOD during the summer and to test drive homeschooling. I am glad b/c she had no experience with notebooking and narrating and it has been a good fit, but she couldn't have went any lower.

I guess with doing different things than the guide calls for I have gotten lost on what we have accomplished and what we still need to do to finish the year. This has really turned me off to HOD. I am not doing this as much with BHFHG as I am LHFHG.

As ds has made up for his appalling ps kindergarten year, he has really advanced quickly. He could probably do BLHFHG now, but in March or April when we started I couldn't even envision him in BLHFHG in a years time. So LHFHG has helped my ds and we have learned with HOD, but I honestly don't know if I am up to continuing this pace with the guides until 8th grade. In fact, the future is what made me start looking around. The more I thought about adding my youngest in a few years time, the more I came to dread our day to day with HOD.

We will actually finish our HOD guides around Christmas break which leaves me the opportunity to do a term of MFW (it will be gravy b/c we have technically finished our "grade" for the year with HOD) and really compare the two and what I want with the kids.

You are the first person that has responded that is actually doing several guides and not dreading adding more and not combining. I am going to read back through your replies and think about how you deal with doing 3 guides a little more. I think I need to stop thinking about next term and focus on where we are now and that is finishing LHFHG (tweaked b/c my ds made a vast improvement in a short time) and BHFHG (without DITHOR-I just couldn't hack DITHOR it overwhelmed me).

Here is how our schedule looks right now...

I start with the oldest and knock out her left side (except poetry)-History, Bible(we do catechhism not HOD's Bible), the Activity box, and storytime

The other kids are watching video/playing in rooms during this time

Oldest does Singapore 2b while middle dd does Abeka cursive workbook and ds does Singapore Earlybird 2a

Middle dd does Singapore 2a after finishing math ds does R&S and handwriting sheet (made vast improvement and needs to do both)

when oldest dd finishes math she gets a computer break while I do the left side of LHFHG-History, Bible (Catechism), activity box, our own science (singapore), FLL, and storytime

then both dd's have video/computer time while ds does the Reading Lesson (his hardest thing) We have to have no one else in the room for him to read

Then we have recess

after recess, ds is actually done for the day and the girls were doing R&S 2 together but it was too much writing for dd almost 8, so I have her doing FLL with ds and dd9 has R&S2 dictation and poetry...she doesn't seem to like R&S either so I am toying with the idea of getting FLL 3 for her.

then it is lunch

then dd9 does BHFHG science which we actually love! The notebooking is great and she really loves the one small square books so science is our favorite and that is why it is last so we can go off on bunny trails.

We are doing reading lists and a reading journal from Learn at home series in each of their grades and it is done sometime during the day. It isn't really scheduled right now. And normally I do LHTH before the big kids are even awake b/c youngest ds is a early riser.

Anyway, I know this is a horrible typed out schedule to show you how insane we are running in and out, but they really need one on one for the math and reading. It isn't so much this year that is killing me as much as I know that I can't add in another guide when my youngest ds gets school age...I don't know where I would be able to work with him and looking at the future if I don't get started on the 4 yr cycle my oldest dd won't be able to complete a 4 yr cycle before high school.

Now if I could get MFW's History cycle only and HOD's science only and add in FLL and LLATL with spelling power and english from the roots up. It would be great! Unfornately neither HOD or MFW offer just guides for one subject they are both all in ones. MFW does use most of what I like though except LLATL.

Anyway, since you are doing the same guides as me how hectic does my schedule look or does it look about right for doing these guides with 4 kids. My middle dd is actually partly in LHFHG (left side) and partly in BHFHG (right side) which confuses me sometimes as to where she is at.

Anyway, I appreciate the replies and look forward to reading any advise anyone can give.

I just wanted to add some side benefits of combining children that I didn't expect:

1. Dinner conversations are really interesting. Each child can add something to the topic and it's amazing to see how they each have a different take on the same thing. Dad can follow it too because he only has to follow one timeline not several.

2. Family togetherness. We spend more coordinated time together because we are learning the same thing. Read alouds are same in the evening, if we plan a meal based on what we are learning everybody can join in.

3. Vacations. I plan vacations on what we are learning in school. We can use one vacation as a series of coordinated field trips because everyone is on the same page.

4. Hands-on projects are done together! Woo - hoo! This means the oldest can help the youngest and I don't always have be involved.

5. They play what they are learning. My kids have mock Lego battles of the Revolution or build Roman arches or build Jamestown out of Lincoln Logs and they seem to do it together and get along because no one is left out!

6. Bible is the same so I can teach together. Family devotions is an amazing thing. I have found more meaning, more depth and more family unity because we study the Bible together. I love that.

7. Since we combine ages it gives us more time to serve as family.

I understand that each family has their own dynamics and not all curriculums fit all families but this is a big factor for us in loving MFW.

I have not used HOD. I have used MFW RtoR and will be using their High School Program and Adventures next year. When I used RtoR I was combining an 8th grader and a 1st grader. My 1st grader got more out of the program than I expected so it is definitely possible to combine differing grades in MFW and still have them get stuff out of it.

IF you decide to go with MFW, I would suggest Adventures with the ages of your children. My dd will be a 9yo 3rd grader this year and doing ADV sets her up to go through the cycle completely through 8th grade. I like this. With a 9, 8, and 6yo, Adv will be more on ALL their level and make it even easier to combine. The youngers will certainly pick up if you choose to go the ECC route, no doubt, but starting with ADV would give the 8 and 6yo another year.

Just a suggestion. I could not do 3 different programs. In fact, this is the first year that I've had to split my girls. The younger has just been riding along till now. It should be an interesting year.

Good luck choosing!!

IF you decide to go with MFW, I would suggest Adventures with the ages of your children. My dd will be a 9yo 3rd grader this year and doing ADV sets her up to go through the cycle completely through 8th grade. I like this. With a 9, 8, and 6yo, Adv will be more on ALL their level and make it even easier to combine. The youngers will certainly pick up if you choose to go the ECC route, no doubt, but starting with ADV would give the 8 and 6yo another year.

Just a suggestion. I could not do 3 different programs. In fact, this is the first year that I've had to split my girls. The younger has just been riding along till now. It should be an interesting year.

Good luck choosing!!

This is what I plan to do next term. I plan to do MFW adventures after Christmas break to get a feel for MFW and then I will be able to see first hand the differences and really be able to choose what I think works best.

I thought I could add in SOTW for my dd9 if she needed a little bit more.

Whether I will love MFW or not, I don't think I can do that many programs in HOD until 8th grade. It isn't that HOD doesn't teach but you do have to stay with their guides to reap the benefits of the curriculum and I am not sure I am committed to staying and doing 3 guides for the next 4-5 years at least.

I've decided to go with HOD this next year with 3 guides for 4 children.

My older two will be doing the new guide. When looking at it, the older ones are mostly independant. Even with the read aloud, I will probably read it a couple times a week, and let them read to each other on the other days. There are also some of the books available as audio books.

My middle son will be in BHFHG. He is reading at about a 5th grade reading level although he's starting 3rd. I feel, after reading the history material, that he is capable of reading much of it on his own, so I won't always be reading aloud when it says to.

For my 1st grader, I'll be doing LHFHG. I've found that the Burgess books that are to be read aloud are available on libravox with audio. Some days she will listen to them on recorded CD and come to me after to answer questions.

All in all, I will just not be doing quite as much oral discussion and read aloud as is suggested. I may have them write some narrations. I have also thought to perhaps doing a couple days of the oral read alouds and discussions all in one or two days of the week. So perhaps my older two I work with most of Monday, my middle one I'll work with most of Tuesday, and my younger one most of Thursday. Then their independant work will fill in the rest of the week.

Not sure what will work, but I'm hoping we'll get into a rhythm that's good for our family.

I have found it hard to let my dd read by herself for the history b/c then I have no clue when she is narrating. It isn't as if I have read all of these books. The amount of reading out loud for different history and science is part of why I am feeling overwhelmed.

Plus she will get sidetracked and not be reading and just sitting there with the book. She listens and participates when I am reading though.

I tried the book on tape approach with ds6 and he totally didn't listen to it. I don't know if it was the particular story or what but it didn't work out. I may try it again soon though b/c I am quite tired of reading aloud so much.

I have tried skimming while she is narrating, but I don't feel like I am truly evaluating her comprehension and her narrating skills when I haven't read it myself.

It is hectic teaching several students. No doubt about it. Don't feel discouraged that you didn't know all the theories...etc. Like I wrote before- home schooling is a journey- some say a marathon... it is not a sprint. There is room for growth, mistakes, and changes.

I would venture to say that you know a lot more now than you did a year ago!! :)

Anyway- I really don't want to sway you one way or the other... Trying MFW might be good just to experience a different flow and see if it is more "you"...

I love HOD and so speak to that side...:)

Your day sounds normal for so many young students (still learning to read- not independent, etc.) One thing to consider is that as the students grow- they will not require as much in some subjects.

My day with three guides looks like this:

I start with LHTH with my 3 and 5 year old. Next is K work with my 5 year old. Then I do the left side of LHFHG and storytime, with my third son. My older two sons are doing chores and their "morning work" during this time. They have free time when they finish. They have to be at the table at 10. From 10-12 I school math, reading, writing, grammar, spelling,extra science etc, lower left side of Bigger, any notebooking, etc. We break for recess and have lunch. After lunch I read aloud to my little ones. We break for nap time. Older ones do any independent work I assign. I meet with my HOD Bigger students around 4 and we work thru the rest of their guide. I do almost all of Rod and Staff orally. I have been gently moving my 9 year old toward more written work in grammar.

Things I we are doing -RIGHT NOW- that are not "scheduled in HOD"

DS 9

Spelling Wisdom

Rod and Staff 3

Apologia Astronomy

Manners Lessons

24 Family Ways one time a week (Wed)

Writing With Ease 2

He is doing DITHOR 2/3. I do not do big intros or unit projects at this time.

DS 8

He does HOD Spelling and Rod and Staff 2

Apologia Astronomy

Manners

24 Family Ways one time a week (Wed)

Writing With Ease 1

Reading Fluency with me (right now Just So Stories)

DS 6 1/2

Just started FLL 1/2

Aesop fable narration with me

and am adding extra science thru living books

Memoria Press Copybook 1

I am considering FLL 3 for my 8 year old when he gets thru with Rod and Staff 2. We'll see. I am comfortable with Rod and Staff at this point because of how thorough it is and how far ahead it goes.

So there are some varied thoughts. I hope it helps.

I hope this makes sense!!!

Sincerely,

Rebecca

Your day definitely goes longer than mine does. I think doing MFW for a term will really give me a good idea of whether or not that is what I am wanting for us. It may just be that as we go through our homeschool journey that I will be pulling from this and that and no one curriculum will fit all of us.

Thanks for all the advise and suggestions.

• 3 months later...
You can combine in HOD just like you can MFW. Put your youngers with the older until the older is in a much more independent level. Then keep the youngers together. You just use the left side for everyone, add a few younger library books on the topic if you want, and do Math and LA on the right level for every child. That's essentially the way MFW works. It's target ages are 4-6 with supp's for 7-8 and youngers can sit in and get what they can from it plus you get library books of your choice for them. You can do the exact same thing with the HOD guides! It's just harder to see it as that b/c it doesn't actually say it on the guide...so it just seems more limited. You could use one guide for the oldest, and put everyone together for teh left side and use the right side of the lower guides for the youngers.

ETA: I've used MFW PK, K, 1st and ECC and HOD LHTH, LHFHG, BLGFHG, and BHFHG. I know it's great to combine, but I honestly found it easier with HOD. We're taking a break from full, formal schooling this year beyond the basics and lots of literature (for history/science) since it's a tough season, but I'd love to be able to handle the full load and keep all my kids in 1 HOD guide. I agree it was hard to use more than one at a time when things got hectic.

Yes, it's an old thread, but I missed it the first time:D

It's most encouraging to see someone else doing what I'm doing. You've also explained it so well.

I do wish more of the ladies at HOD board would encourage this. I feel like everytime someone posts about combining it's usually met with a negative comment. I'm combining 3 for Beyond (but doing our own English and math) and it has always worked, and my oldest is 10. Several of the Beyond selections are designed for 3rd and 4th grade, so I dont' get why this wouldn't work. Yes, it might be lighter than some chose, but our focus is on the basics, so it works great for us.

Thanks for the great post.

Alison

Edited by Alison in KY
thought of something to add

While I go back and forth between which I like better - HOD or MFW, either would work for multiple children. All MFW has done to make it adaptable for all ages is to offer books suitable for younger ages and make recommendations as to which language arts and math would be best. I've long wondered why HOD insists on people doing more than one guide (except in the K and 1st grade area) when you can easily adapt their guides for all ages. If you prefer HOD, choose a guide (from Beyond or higher) and add books in (ideas you could get from MFW, Beautiful Feet, Winter Promise, Songlight, etc) that fit their age range. We are doing Preparing this year and my almost 5 year old is doing it along with us. She listens to the the books and draws with us from the Draw Through History Books. Her copywork is in sand learning to write her letters. As I look at the guides to come I think it will be easy to adapt them.

All that said, MFW is already done for you in ECC and up but it would take less than an hour to "plan" adapting HOD.

Edited by Polly

Yes, it's an old thread, but I missed it the first time:D

It's most encouraging to see someone else doing what I'm doing. You've also explained it so well.

I do wish more of the ladies at HOD board would encourage this. I feel like everytime someone posts about combining it's usually met with a negative comment. I'm combining 3 for Beyond (but doing our own English and math) and it has always worked, and my oldest is 10. Several of the Beyond selections are designed for 3rd and 4th grade, so I dont' get why this wouldn't work. Yes, it might be lighter than some chose, but our focus is on the basics, so it works great for us.

Thanks for the great post.

Alison

Maybe if I would have tried to figure out a way to have all 3 kids in one guide instead of trying to do 3 guides with HOD, then I would still be using it.

We are doing CLP's 3rd grade and 4th grade now and I have toyed with the idea of buying the Beyond guide just to see how the books are used. I wouldn't switch again, but I thought it would be a fun summer school.

It probably would be a fun summer school for you. I like the read aloud selections (most of them anyway) and I like that everything is tied into each other (Bible, poetry, history, science, etc). I just do my own thing in English and math because we already have things that we like.

I am sincerely dumbfounded when I read about so many mom's doing multiple guides, but I think the clincher is that they might have kids who like doing work independently. My oldest is so not independent, he actually wants me by his side ALL THE TIME. My middle, 8, took awhile to catch onto reading and she gets going to fast so she misses alot, then my baby, 6, is just going through phonics. So with my kids, it works to combine, but I guess if I had advanced readers who enjoyed working independently, then I might consider multiple guides, but I'd still only read aloud from one book :).

Alison

Alison,

(waving hi). I am doing 3 guides but only because my older two are now more independent, I wouldn't attempt it now if they weren't. Last year only my oldest was independent so she did Preparing (she was 10) and I did LHFHG with my K, 1st & 3rd grader. They each did their own level math & language and I had my 3rd grader do a little extra reading for history to beef it up a bit. It was very doable and not a whole lot of extra tweaking. This year she is more independent so she is now doing Bigger, her older sister doing CTC & I am combining the boys in Beyond and it is going very smoothly so far, but would feel very comfortable combining them again this year if I thought it was necessary. HTH!

I was researching both MFW and HOD for months. Now I have decided to try Mystery of History and A child's geography . Both are great programs , with a feel of MFW but it gives you more flexibility. Both can be used to combine children from K to 8th . Just something to consider. Check reviews for both on amazon.com

(For science , you can use Noeo or something else.)

Have you checked the HOD board? I'm sure there are others in your same situation using HOD and effectively teaching multiples. They may be able to offer some advice. I homeschool 3 children using MFW CTG and I find it very easy to use with multiples in addition to having a hectic schedule. My youngest will be using MFW K in the fall and the older 3 dc in MFW RtR.

I love the lesson plans weekly grid for the same reasons mentioned. If we don't get to something on one day, we move it over to the next. I hope you are able to find something that works. I know how frustrating it can be when you are trying to find your groove.