Menu

SWR or...?

I'm struggling with this decision at the last moment. I was about to order today!

I really wanted to do SWR because I have seen such great reviews. I also like that Cursive First, which I want to teach DS, was written for SWR. But...I am a pretty busy gal. I have 3 children, I am just starting to homeschool DS1 Kindergarten in September, I am slowly starting a photography business, and I babysit our neighbours' kids part time...and I've heard that SWR is a lot of work for the teacher.

Do you think that I will feel too swamped if I choose SWR? What are some good alternatives? Tell me about AAS - how does it compare to SWR? I also like the price and look of TOPG compared to the others that I'm looking at, but DS is already reading quite well, so will he fly through it too quickly? Explode the Code? What about A Beka, and then I could use their cursive program instead of Cursive First?

Help! :confused:

Edited by JoyfulMama_Karen

I would highly recommend SWR especially since you have several children to teach to read. However, it can be a lot of work at the beginning to learn the program. Once you are comfortable with the program, it is quite simple to implement. The biggest key I have found in learning SWR is to find a good mentor. Also, it is not a program you are going to understand all at the beginning. It is an immersion program for both teacher and student. The best way to learn it is to jump in and get started. This was very hard for me because I like seeing the big picture from the beginning. But the more I get into the program, the more I see its strengths.

AAS looks similar to SWR on the surface but is actually quite different in its methods. AAS teaches all the sounds of the phonograms similar to SWR. However, SWR stresses the writing, auditory, visual connection for learning the phonograms. AAS does not. AAS groups their word lists by sound or rule. SWR does not. With AAS you learn sounds or rules in a lesson then move on and the review is done through cards and dictation sentences and phrases. With SWR, the phonograms and rules are studied and reinforced with each word list providing a spiraling review of these foundational tools. Decoding and encoding words on a regular basis allows the phonograms and rules to become second nature. Reading is a natural outgrowth of this process. When you use the WISE Guide Enrichments, SWR includes all the language arts needed through 3rd grade. I get excited every time I look through these exercises and realize how well the WISE Guide is set up.

One complaint I hear about SWR is that it is so rigid. And that perceived attitude kept me away from it for several years. However, now that I understand what the program is about, there are very few portions of it that must be done a certain way in order for the program to be the most effective. There are many parts that are highly customizable.

I like AAS, I really do. It was what I started my dd reading with. But when the program was moving too slowly for teaching reading, I took another look at SWR. It made more sense to me for what I needed. And the more I have gotten into SWR, the more depth I see in the program. Another reason I prefer SWR is that you can teach an older student the necessary foundation using age appropriate words. I tried AAS with my dd12 and it was very awkward.

But I do understand being busy and not being able to take the time to learn SWR. So only you can make the decision if it is something you want to take on. I know many people are happy with AAS for spelling. I haven't heard too many who have taught beginning readers yet but they may be out there. I know the first few steps in level one were very helpful to me in getting my dd started.

I LOVE SWR but it is time intensive, which with a lot of little ones is sometimes hard to carve out. It is worth the time if you can find it. To get me started I went to a workshop and it made things seem doable. The book itself is rather cluttered and hard to wade through.

Also OhElizabeth made a quick guide that helped figure it out some.

You can find it used frequently on the sale/swap boards so you may want to check there first.

I finally broke down and ordered AAS but haven't used it yet so I can't compare them just yet.

I found SWR when my oldest was young. I bought the books and it has still not clicked. I've read portions of the main book a few times and even started a log once. I found some helps online but it just wasn't enough. Taking the class might have helped, but there was never one close enough, let alone the fact that I wouldn't have the time to go and no one could watch the kids. I needed to have a good understanding of the program as a whole and how it would all work before I could really get started. It was suggested to just plunge right in but that just doesn't work for me. One day I finally had to say enough and I bought AAS shortly afterwards. It was a perfect fit for dd and for me. I liked that it explicitly taught the rules. I liked that it was easy to teach (with three little kids and expecting another I need easy!). My dd is still working on handwriting and I like that she has the option of spelling with the tiles or writing by hand. And it's fun. I do agree that the rules and phonograms are taught slowly, which could complicate things if you are trying to teach reading. Despite this fact, and just like I've heard from people using SWR, one day reading just clicked for her. She was reading words and phonograms that I had never taught her and used rules she had never heard before.

I would suggest that you be honest with yourself. Do you have the time and energy to learn the program? Could you take a class? Do you need to understand something fully (especially something like SWR) before you get started or can you just jump in and learn as you go? Both SWR and AAS are excellent programs. Either choice would be a good one. And if you choose one and it just is not working don't be afraid to switch.

Once you get the "hang of it", SWR is easy to teach. I used it for 3 years before switching to Spelling Power. (more on that later).

I do think the teacher guide for SWR is ridiculously difficult to wade through. The author must be a "big picture" global thinker. I am more a linear thinker so it was a challenge to get nailed down. There is a wonderful DVD I purchased from Morningstar Learning that helped tremendously. THe program is not "plug and play". You will need to teach it. You will need to learn how to keep the notebook and do the activities.

Just a side note as to why I switched programs. The program stopped working for us about list N. I am not sure why, but both dc had trouble starting at that point. By switching, I was able to get them moving forward again.

SWR is a solid program and you will see results. But, it is difficult to learn and teacher intensive.

Karen, your ds is 4? Since he already knows how to read, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you concerned he may have holes in his phonics understanding? SWR, unless you modify it, is writing driven. I taught my dd to read with it and had great results, but I think that's unnecessary to go through that process with a 4 yo who already reads and isn't physically ready to be writing that much. I'd stop, think more clearly about exactly what you're trying to accomplish, and then find specific materials to accomplish it. Given that he's a boy and already reading, I would give him ETC, let him read a lot, and put your energy into something he could actually profit from, say FLL or some geography or good history read alouds (CHOW, Farjeon's Mighty Men, etc.).

Karen, your ds is 4? Since he already knows how to read, what are you trying to accomplish? Are you concerned he may have holes in his phonics understanding? SWR, unless you modify it, is writing driven. I taught my dd to read with it and had great results, but I think that's unnecessary to go through that process with a 4 yo who already reads and isn't physically ready to be writing that much. I'd stop, think more clearly about exactly what you're trying to accomplish, and then find specific materials to accomplish it. Given that he's a boy and already reading, I would give him ETC, let him read a lot, and put your energy into something he could actually profit from, say FLL or some geography or good history read alouds (CHOW, Farjeon's Mighty Men, etc.).

This is helpful. DS is 4, turning 5 in February. I'm just starting out with homeschooling, so honestly, I'm not sure exactly what I should be aiming for. DS reads well for a 4-year-old boy, but he definitely doesn't know all of the phonograms. I don't want to go overboard with penmanship, but I do want to introduce cursive with gross motor stuff. What am I trying to accomplish? I am hoping to give DS a good, solid understanding of the English language. Would you suggest doing ETC this year and doing SWR when he is a little older? I'm totally open for suggestions and advice! :bigear: :D

Also: We ordered Living Books Curriculum's Foundation Year, so we will be reading aloud the books from there as well as several other selections (Robert McCloskey stuff, Mike Mulligan, etc.)that I would like to incorporate this year . I'm also going to look into some of the the others that you mentioned. I was planning to start him with SOTW 1 next year, would CHOW still be helpful for his K year? Living Books doesn't include History for Foundation Year.

I do think the teacher guide for SWR is ridiculously difficult to wade through. The author must be a "big picture" global thinker. I am more a linear thinker so it was a challenge to get nailed down.

I think this is why SWR confuses so many people. The red book (SWR) is not your lesson manual. Once you work through steps 1-11 each year, the WISE Guide is your linear roadmap. The red book is only for reference to use when you are instructed (in the WISE Guide) to complete a reference page or other SWR step. Yes, the red book has other great tips and explanations but the day to day focus is to be on the WISE Guide.

Karen, are you on the SWR yahoo group yet? Have you talked with any trainers? Britta of MorningStarLearning is especially wonderful. I think you'd do well to talk to someone like her. You really don't need the full SWR set right now, except for informational purposes. Sanseri had talked about writing a separate book for youngers, but I don't know if she ever did. There is a chapter in SWR on preschool (kids learning to read and learning their phonogram sounds but not ready to WRITE 20 words, etc.). SWR fully implemented is better suited to a 1st grader, as in a 6+ yo. When you use it with a 5 yo like I did, you have to adapt. They're supposed to write words into a log, etc., and it's just too much. We ended up doing letter tiles.

Since he's already reading, I wouldn't even fiddle with all that. He's bright and learning to read early. Are you even sure he'll need all that cumbersome method to learn to spell well? Not everyone does, you know. In your shoes, I would get the phonogram and rule flashcards, the phonogram bingo, and then continue whatever you've been doing teaching him to read. That way he's getting a more thorough foundation in phonics without you feeling pressured to have him write.

Cursive First is just a traditional cursive tied to SWR for phonogram practice. You could easily do that yourself with any font you prefer. Remember, you have to separate the intellectual skill from the physical skill. Just because he's ready to read like a K5 or 1st or 2nd grader doesn't mean his motor skills are there. Unfortunately, with SWR you're linking them. You could buy the whole system and take out just the pieces that will work, but I don't see the point, not when you're talking $100 and a 4 yo. And do you realize the phonograms and rules are almost identical to those in WRTR? Your library might have a copy you could look at for free. Make your own flashcards using the rules, learn the system, then implement it however you find appropriate to fit your dc. That would be the totally free version. Don't feel like you need fancy curriculum for this. The things you make homemade would actually be BETTER at this age. You could make phonogram cards with yarn or sandpaper. You could keep a letter of the week book, sing songs with your phonograms, play games to learn the songs, etc. You don't need fancy boughten stuff for that. You're only going to be using select elements from WRTR/SWR and adapting to fit a 4 yo, so anything you glean from a library copy of WRTR will probably be adequate. Save your money and buy cool stuff like laminators and paper cutters and punches. :)

I can give you my 2 cents about the programs.

The hardest thing about SWR is wrapping your mind around it. For me that was particularly difficult because I like to start at the beginning and work straight through something. The way the SWR guide is structured is topics, but she goes into depth on each topic. Thus the first part of every topics would make sense then it would start getting fuzzy. Instead of moving on I would continue to re-read to try to get it. I really needed to just move on, then come back later and re-read for more depth when I had figured out more of the program. (Hind sight is so beautiful.) Anyway the description of how to use the WISE guide isn't till around page 70 and by the time I got there we had already developed some bad habits...that we never conquered. For example by the time I tried the finger spelling my oldest two were used to doing it a different way and rejected it out of hand. I wonder if I had started it at the beginning of the program when all was new if they would have accepted it. I also started using SWR without a log, and while I did part of one on my own was never able to implement it-and that is a pretty important part of the program. Needless to say just by knowing what I have typed out here you would have a jump on me in learning it.

If you can get beyond the learning curve and implement the program, it is excellent.

AAS is more open and go. There are cards to cut out and organize, but that is pretty straight forward, and you need to read the intro, which isn't long and you are ready to start. Some personality types could use SWR more this way, especially with Oh Elizabeth's Quick start guide, but I just don't work that way. Must start at the beginning and figure it out step by step. :blink:

Structurally there are some big differences.

With SWR, as Hidden Jewel said, you introduce all 70 phonograms up front. They will chose out specific phonograms with each list to focus on, but you still cover all 70. AAS level 1 only covers the first 26 and 3-4 other phonograms. Then each level they introduce more phonograms till you have covered them all.

SWR specifically introduces all the sounds in combination. You don't have a list of short /a/ words. The first few lists will include short vowels, long vowels and by the third list, I think, two letter vowels. AAS will cover words in groups according to sounds, then review them as a mix. For example you cover short a words and all the other short vowels, each having one lesson. Then after a few other rules are introduced, like the use of s and c to make the /k/ sound at the beginning of a word, and then it introduces the long vowel sounds. When reviewing though you shuffle the word cards so they are mixed up, forcing the student to think about what they are doing instead of going on auto pilot knowing what the lesson is teaching. I don't think either way is right or wrong. I do think the SWR method is overwhelming for some children (usually when an LD is at play).

With my first two girls they were older when I started SWR, and neither had a problem with using all the sounds at once. My 2nd dd is dyslexic and she still did fine. I did drill her in the phonograms for about a year before we started the lists, which might have helped. With my 3rd dd, who is also dyslexic, I had been drilling the first 26 phonograms for a while, and only had worked on the rest for a few weeks when we started the first list. It was a dismal failure, for a couple of reasons. She was totally overwhelmed and started trying spelling that didn't make sense. I knew she knew better, she just was on such overload she started trying anything. Second was that at the time she didn't get the think to spell concept (now she has learned it). That is where when you have words like love, of and mother that make a schwa sound you mispronounce them for spelling with a short o to try to help the correct spelling to stick. By about list 4 or 5 she was convinced she was a horrible speller and just needed something different. AAS has been a great fit for her, and a nice break for the other two.

The other thing that AAS does cover that SWR chooses not to is syllable rules. I do believe the rules are stated in the SWR guide, but they are not taught in the spelling lessons. I personally am glad to learn them, but I also realize it isn't difficult to find exceptions, which is why SWR doesn't teach them. SWR does teach the child how to break words into syllables, just not using the rules, but my the sound. Theoretically if you know syllable rules you can use it to figure out how to pronounce a word that you haven't heard....as long as it isn't a rule breaker.

In the end my oldest wants to complete AAS and then go back to SWR and complete it too. She does prefer the word card review system in AAS, so we will use that with SWR. I do want her to finally make her own log, and she would like that too.

While I agree with Hidden Jewel that you should be able to modify SWR, there is a definite caught-not directly stated feel that if you don't get good results it is because you modified SWR in some way and that is your fault. While it really isn't a big deal it has caused me a lot of worry while using SWR. The words in AAS are on the easy side, so sometimes I am concerned it is a waste of time for my oldest and she should be doing SWR, but every time I ask her about changing something she says she is happy with finishing. <shrug> At least she wants to do spelling, right? :)

IMO you could do Cursive First with either one.

Heather

I would highly recommend SWR especially since you have several children to teach to read. However, it can be a lot of work at the beginning to learn the program. Once you are comfortable with the program, it is quite simple to implement. The biggest key I have found in learning SWR is to find a good mentor. Also, it is not a program you are going to understand all at the beginning. It is an immersion program for both teacher and student. The best way to learn it is to jump in and get started. This was very hard for me because I like seeing the big picture from the beginning. But the more I get into the program, the more I see its strengths.

AAS looks similar to SWR on the surface but is actually quite different in its methods. AAS teaches all the sounds of the phonograms similar to SWR. However, SWR stresses the writing, auditory, visual connection for learning the phonograms. AAS does not. AAS groups their word lists by sound or rule. SWR does not. With AAS you learn sounds or rules in a lesson then move on and the review is done through cards and dictation sentences and phrases. With SWR, the phonograms and rules are studied and reinforced with each word list providing a spiraling review of these foundational tools. Decoding and encoding words on a regular basis allows the phonograms and rules to become second nature. Reading is a natural outgrowth of this process. When you use the WISE Guide Enrichments, SWR includes all the language arts needed through 3rd grade. I get excited every time I look through these exercises and realize how well the WISE Guide is set up.

One complaint I hear about SWR is that it is so rigid. And that perceived attitude kept me away from it for several years. However, now that I understand what the program is about, there are very few portions of it that must be done a certain way in order for the program to be the most effective. There are many parts that are highly customizable.

I like AAS, I really do. It was what I started my dd reading with. But when the program was moving too slowly for teaching reading, I took another look at SWR. It made more sense to me for what I needed. And the more I have gotten into SWR, the more depth I see in the program. Another reason I prefer SWR is that you can teach an older student the necessary foundation using age appropriate words. I tried AAS with my dd12 and it was very awkward.

But I do understand being busy and not being able to take the time to learn SWR. So only you can make the decision if it is something you want to take on. I know many people are happy with AAS for spelling. I haven't heard too many who have taught beginning readers yet but they may be out there. I know the first few steps in level one were very helpful to me in getting my dd started.

:iagree: I used SWR , switched to AAS and went back to SWR for the reasons stated here.

I didn't have time to read through all of the posts to see what you are leaning towards or if you have made a decision, but what really helped me was to make up my weekly schedule of what I would be doing each day with SWR. That helped me to see that I COULD do it. I'd be happy to post my schedule as an attachment if you'd like to see mine.

Still wondering about a few things I asked earlier...

Would you suggest doing ETC this year and doing SWR when he is a little older?

Or something else (ie A Beka...?) this year and start with SWR next year or the year after...

and along with that question:

Has anyone used A Beka's K5 (or K4) Phonics, Reading, and Writing Program?

thoughts/opinions?

I was planning to start him with SOTW 1 next year, would CHOW still be helpful for his K year?

?

Can you tell I'm a HS newbie? Everyone here is so helpful. Thank you SOOOOOO much! :D

ETA: Julie, I sent you a PM! Thanks!

Here is my schedule attached. This isn't for everyone. People add/subtract things, but I got my schedule checked by an endorsed trainer who said that nothing was left out or watered down at all. Where it says write the words on notecards- that is what I'm doing as our quizes. Basically, they will just write them on the notecards instead of paper so that I can use the notecards to keep track of review, etc. This schedule is not meant to start until you begin the WISE guide, because you dont start spelling dictation until after you begin the WISE guide step #12. One last thing, I have the mentality...quiz often...quiz little. I prefer things that way, so I do small pieces often as you will see in my schedule. Let me know if you have any questions.

ETA: My file is too big. If you want I will send it to you in an e-mail.

There's no point launching into abeka's phonics if you want to use SWR's. Each has their own way of explaining things. If your ds has already started reading, what have you been doing up to this point? Is he reading early readers, Bob Books, just words on flashcards? Like I said, I would continue whatever you've been doing (since it's clearly working) and just bolster it a little bit with the phonics info from whatever approach you like (SWR, whatever).

It's really up to you how you proceed. My only caution is not to get SWR and try to do it fully. He's only 4, and you DON'T need to do that. If you get it, adapt and use just what he needs. BTW, somebody has SWR and the Wise Guide on the sale/swap board here for just $15 each ppd.

As far as CHOW and extra stuff, my two cents is to add in things as he seems hungry for more. Once his reading takes off, he'll probably have time for more stimulation. My dd seems to have growth spurts and be ready for "more" at her half birthdays. At that time I often add in something or start new stuff. You'll know whether you need that or not, because everything will start going faster or his attention span will be longer. You'll know. :)

As for what to do then, I listed things we enjoyed. Just pick something he'll like. BTW, don't limit him to short read alouds. You want to read him long chapter books, things well beyond his comprehension, to build his vocabulary and sentence structure. WTM lists lots of goodies in their K5 section, and you can either read them aloud or get them on audio. At that age my dd LOVED Charlotte's Web, the Chronicles of Narnia (unabridged by Harper Audio), Tales of Uncle Remus, etc.

It's a good age to give them time to pursue their interests. It doesn't have to be so formal either, just a making of space, time, and availability of materials. My dd was really, really into art at that age, so I gave her a table with all kinds of neat supplies. Your boy might be into something totally different. It's such a sweet age to nurture that. Don't feel you have to do so much formally. A lot of your homeschooling budget at that age can be fun stuff they do and investigate with for themselves. (Usborne books, field/nature guides, butterfly nets, Kapla blocks, anything from the Timberdoodle catalog) :)

Thank you, Elizabeth and Julie!

To answer your question, Elizabeth:

Up to this point, we have basically just been reading a lot and doing some fun computer stuff. He was interested in their letters and sounds at a really young age (he knew his alphabet at around 18 months) and I just went with it. Never pushed anything, but showed him the letters and told him the sounds they made. He used to play on "Keyboard-o-Rama" a lot when he was 2 (it was simple for him - he would just push a letter, and then Elmo would say a word that started with it), and then last March, he learned to use Starfall.com. He played on there a lot for a few months (still does, just not as frequently), but I wouldn't say that that taught him anything but that it definitely helped reinforce what he already knew. We go to the library on a regular basis, and I often take out the Little Bear, etc. beginning readers (Level 2, I believe?). We picked up some BOB books this spring and he loves being able to read those to us. Just recently, I came across an awesome deal for HOP K and have been doing that with him a little bit this summer. It is fun and easy for him - he is breezing through.

Elizabeth, can you point me to your tutorial/intro to SWR that a previous poster mentioned?

Edited by JoyfulMama_Karen

Karen,

ETC involves a lot of writing... Does your son write a lot now?

Honestly, I would just get the set of phonogram cards from SWR and some good, age-appropriate readers. Then, you can drill him on the phonograms, practice reading, and wait for the writing intensive part of SWR in a year or so when he's ready (if you're wanting to do SWR).

I agree, don't be afraid to purchase something and find out it's not for you. I am one who has to have the product IN hand and try it out, read it, etc, to see if it will work with us.

I started out with SWR. I love reading it! I love the concept. I WANT it to work, but... the learning process was killing me! The pages were too busy for me (too much writing, too much chatty talk!), it just was so.much.work. to get to understand the SWR process. I don't think a product (no matter how great it is) should involve such a steep learning curve. Women will tell you to find a mentor, take a SWR seminar, etc-they learned so much! Well, first of all, that takes extra time. Second of all, it usually costs extra money.

I am being totally honest here, but I have 4 children with one on the way and I was pulling my hair out trying to learn how to implement it, basically getting nothing done in that area in the meantime. I have read all that is going on in your life that you wrote in your OP, and I really think this will frustrate you to no end. OTOH, I am not you and you are not me, so it may be the total opposite! lol

You know yourself best. Be brutally honest with yourself. Do you want to have to take the time to REALLY have to learn something like this, or do you want an easier (and just as good) program? Only you know.

I recently switched to AAS, and have just started, so it remains to be seen how it goes. So far, the kids seem to like it! :) I haven't yet sold my SWR. Maybe in the future, when things calm down, I will use it. I don't know.

Karen,

I started out with SWR. I love reading it! I love the concept. I WANT it to work, but... the learning process was killing me! The pages were too busy for me (too much writing, too much chatty talk!), it just was so.much.work. to get to understand the SWR process. I don't think a product (no matter how great it is) should involve such a steep learning curve. Women will tell you to find a mentor, take a SWR seminar, etc-they learned so much! Well, first of all, that takes extra time. Second of all, it usually costs extra money.

SWR can definately be overwhelming, but I typically hear this when someone has set down and tried to read the entire book before they start. ERRRR!!! WRONG!!!! Don't do this. Start with the first step and complete it. Then, go to the next step and complete it. Stay 1 step ahead of your children and you will do great and not get overwhelmed. If you do hit a snag, which happens to everyone make sure to utilize the SWR yahoo! group. That place is amazing! That is the reason that I chose SWR. Everyone is so helpful. I'm definately not trying to convince you, but just wanted to share my experience.

Ok, now we have your full situation! :) You have a bright boy who was ready to read, teaching himself, and you've done part of HOP K. Since it's working so well, why don't you continue with HOP? He's so driven, he'll probably be fine.

If you want to use the SWR phonogram cards and rules, that would be fine. You could pick up the Wise Guide and main SWR book off the sale/swap board, since they're cheap. But I really don't think he's going to be the type to need the whole shibang... just guessing.

You're basically wanting to get him through the rest of phonics stuff so his reading takes off. You could continue with HOP. You could do OPGTR. You could use the phonogram cards for SWR and work through words using non-writing methods. I would NOT make him write the words for SWR. He's too young. You would do the words with tiles, or *you* write them on the chalkboard while he tells you what to write. Or spell them orally while you play games.

Is there some reason you don't want to continue HOP? Search the boards here and see, but I think many people are fine with it. It's only a small percentage of kids who are bent toward spelling problems, and many kids will thrive with ANY approach. He sounds like he falls in the ANY category. As long as you give him the pieces, he's gonna be fine.

BTW, do you realize you could play scrabble with him and get more or less the same effect? Get a little out of the box.

Ok, now we have your full situation! :) You have a bright boy who was ready to read, teaching himself, and you've done part of HOP K. Since it's working so well, why don't you continue with HOP? He's so driven, he'll probably be fine.

If you want to use the SWR phonogram cards and rules, that would be fine. You could pick up the Wise Guide and main SWR book off the sale/swap board, since they're cheap. But I really don't think he's going to be the type to need the whole shibang... just guessing.

You're basically wanting to get him through the rest of phonics stuff so his reading takes off. You could continue with HOP. You could do OPGTR. You could use the phonogram cards for SWR and work through words using non-writing methods. I would NOT make him write the words for SWR. He's too young. You would do the words with tiles, or *you* write them on the chalkboard while he tells you what to write. Or spell them orally while you play games.

Is there some reason you don't want to continue HOP? Search the boards here and see, but I think many people are fine with it. It's only a small percentage of kids who are bent toward spelling problems, and many kids will thrive with ANY approach. He sounds like he falls in the ANY category. As long as you give him the pieces, he's gonna be fine.

BTW, do you realize you could play scrabble with him and get more or less the same effect? Get a little out of the box.

I agree with most of this and think it is a great post. The only comment that I have is to remember that reading is connected to spelling. Reading is not the end all. Just my very humble opinion. I'm in no way an expert.

While I agree with Hidden Jewel that you should be able to modify SWR, there is a definite caught-not directly stated feel that if you don't get good results it is because you modified SWR in some way and that is your fault. While it really isn't a big deal it has caused me a lot of worry while using SWR.

There are many parts of SWR that can be arranged to your liking. This isn't necessarily modifying the program. But, from my understanding, the heart and soul of the program is the dictation process. That is the only part that I have found as being a hard and fast "DO NOT CHANGE or this program will not be as effective." Not that the other elements aren't important. But it doesn't seem to be as crucial that they are done EXACTLY like they are taught (except perhaps the rule charts). But the way things are planned out makes a lot of sense so I haven't found the need to tweak.

Here is an interesting discussion about using tiles for teaching not just reinforcement.

I've been going through a similar struggle, except for a 6 year old who can read and has gone through K in private school. I've read alot of the other postings here, but not all, so I"m sorry if I repeat too much you've already heard.

I actually have ordered AAS, SWR and a 5th edition of WRTR ( you can get it used for pretty cheap on Amazon or ebay by the way). Something is going back, and it's probably AAS but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Here's what I think:

For a 4 year, just work on phonograms (you can get the cards from any of the programs or make your own; I think its lots easier to buy them pre-printed) read aloud tons and let him read as much as he wants.

You might want to think about HOW you are going to do handwriting though, because SWR (based on WRTR) has a specific way to do it that I think would be easier if your ds hadn't already done another program (Like Handwriting w/out Tears, Zaner BLoser etc).

Don't waste your time with non Orton-Gillingham type phonics which is what all these are (so don't even consider Abeka, BJU, etc). If he is already reading, he will be bored. If he loves workbooks, get some cheap ones like ETC just for fun.

Wait until he's 5 going on 6 to start doing something like AAS or SWR. Looking at both but having used neither, I have to agree with everyone who's stated that SWR looks WAAAAAY more complicated. I too am a linear thinker and find that SWR to be written totally not that way. I definitely wouldn't do it with a 4 or 5 year old, but like someone else said there is a section about what to do with a preschooler prior to officially starting the program.

Join the SWR yahoo group and read in the Files section where members have written comparisons to other programs, especially AAS. Having read that, and having it in person, I see how different AAS and SWR are; they are coming from 2 different angles (though both based on Orton GIllingham) but I am sure you could be successful with either.

If you don't mind paying return shipping, it would probably help you alot to order both AAS and SWR and look at them yourself. I ordered AAS thinking I could in no way do SWR from what I read online, but now that I see it (and see what kind of support you can get from yahoo groups, DVDs etc) I am sure I can. If you also can find a copy of WRTR (get the 5th edition !!! the earlier editions are HARD to follow) at the library or used, would also be a big help for you.

My 2 cents.

Lisa

I've been going through a similar struggle, except for a 6 year old who can read and has gone through K in private school. I've read alot of the other postings here, but not all, so I"m sorry if I repeat too much you've already heard.

I actually have ordered AAS, SWR and a 5th edition of WRTR ( you can get it used for pretty cheap on Amazon or ebay by the way). Something is going back, and it's probably AAS but I'm not 100% sure yet.

Here's what I think:

For a 4 year, just work on phonograms (you can get the cards from any of the programs or make your own; I think its lots easier to buy them pre-printed) read aloud tons and let him read as much as he wants.

You might want to think about HOW you are going to do handwriting though, because SWR (based on WRTR) has a specific way to do it that I think would be easier if your ds hadn't already done another program (Like Handwriting w/out Tears, Zaner BLoser etc).

Don't waste your time with non Orton-Gillingham type phonics which is what all these are (so don't even consider Abeka, BJU, etc). If he is already reading, he will be bored. If he loves workbooks, get some cheap ones like ETC just for fun.

Wait until he's 5 going on 6 to start doing something like AAS or SWR. Looking at both but having used neither, I have to agree with everyone who's stated that SWR looks WAAAAAY more complicated. I too am a linear thinker and find that SWR to be written totally not that way. I definitely wouldn't do it with a 4 or 5 year old, but like someone else said there is a section about what to do with a preschooler prior to officially starting the program.

Join the SWR yahoo group and read in the Files section where members have written comparisons to other programs, especially AAS. Having read that, and having it in person, I see how different AAS and SWR are; they are coming from 2 different angles (though both based on Orton GIllingham) but I am sure you could be successful with either.

If you don't mind paying return shipping, it would probably help you alot to order both AAS and SWR and look at them yourself. I ordered AAS thinking I could in no way do SWR from what I read online, but now that I see it (and see what kind of support you can get from yahoo groups, DVDs etc) I am sure I can. If you also can find a copy of WRTR (get the 5th edition !!! the earlier editions are HARD to follow) at the library or used, would also be a big help for you.

My 2 cents.

Lisa

I also have had all 3 in my hands, and I agree with most of this post. Excellent! I can see how different AAS and SWR are from eachother having had them in my hands and compared them to eachother.

There are many parts of SWR that can be arranged to your liking. This isn't necessarily modifying the program. But, from my understanding, the heart and soul of the program is the dictation process. That is the only part that I have found as being a hard and fast "DO NOT CHANGE or this program will not be as effective." Not that the other elements aren't important. But it doesn't seem to be as crucial that they are done EXACTLY like they are taught (except perhaps the rule charts). But the way things are planned out makes a lot of sense so I haven't found the need to tweak.

Here is an interesting discussion about using tiles for teaching not just reinforcement.

I agree I love the dictation sentences in AAS, and had my oldest use the sentences in SWR as dictation. I do worry that many people with AAS skip over the part where you are supposed to do the words with the tiles, then you are supposed to also do them via dictation, and they also tend to want to skip the dictation sentences. That leaves them just memorizing the phonograms, spelling rules and doing the basic lists...I think that child would be better off than they could be, but still so far from what might stick if they were to do the whole program, right? I don't like keeping all the words together from a list for dictation, so we do the word dictation as review instead...but it still gets done.

Mostly I am lost with SWR. I want so badly to understand it, understand why and that seems so far away...though logically I know it really isn't because I can do what they say to do my problem is I don't get why you should do each part their way, what is ok to modify what isn't, what is essential what isn't. It leaves me feeling like I am always on shaking ground like I could suddenly figure out I have missed a key component and have wasted all this time on the program, KWIM? A seminar is going to always be difficult to pull off because I have to be gone for 2 days. That is complicated for multiple reasons, not limited to the fact that I will be coming home in rush our traffic that would take 3 hours vs. the normal 1...so I envision getting home just in time to put the kids to bed and getting up to leave (rush hour traffic in the morning too) before they were up. I would just end up hating it, the whole experience. Sorry to go off on you. I really have a lot of frustration over SWR, don't I? I would be OK with it if I had figured out the program and decided it wasn't for us, but that isn't the case here. I haven't ever figured it all out. I hate feeling that something has beaten me and I feel that way with SWR. Sigh...

Heather

You've received some great feedback already so I don't have much to add, but I feel compelled to share my thoughts with you. I have a one and only (5yo this month) and I guess you could say that we've spent the past year warming up to SWR and already the results have blown me away. I've researched other programs and by far prefer SWR. There is no doubt in my mind that SWR is the cream of the crop (IMHO) and I believe that no other program will help us accomplish our goals better and continue to guide us better than SWR. My ds completely exceeded my expectations for what I thought he was capable of doing with the help and guidance of SWR w/Cursive First. That all said, you need to go with your gut and do whatever you believe will work best for you and your dc. It is not my intention to disrespect anyone else's opinions or experiences and perhaps I am in a different situation and therefore a different mind set than some who have posted, but please don't be discouraged and let others convince you that your dc is not ready or to do/use this or that if you have a strong feeling in your gut.

I wasn't sure how much my ds was really ready to write when we first started last September (4yo) which is why we took things at a slow and steady pace. I didn't think he'd be ready for the actual SWR spelling lists, rules, and etc. until our K5-ish school year, but he proved me wrong, so I just unofficially started going through them until we begin again this fall. (You may read more about that in my K4 Year In Review.) I have learned to not underestimate my ds just because of his age, despite what other hsers may tell me. I believe that when the dc is ready and willing, then as parent/teachers we should encourage them not hold them back. That would be my advice to you I guess... you know your dc, what he does or doesn't need, and how you want to approach those needs... so go with your gut. I'm glad I did.

I hope that you will be encouraged in whatever you choose to do or use. :001_smile:

I agree I love the dictation sentences in AAS, and had my oldest use the sentences in SWR as dictation. I do worry that many people with AAS skip over the part where you are supposed to do the words with the tiles, then you are supposed to also do them via dictation, and they also tend to want to skip the dictation sentences. That leaves them just memorizing the phonograms, spelling rules and doing the basic lists...I think that child would be better off than they could be, but still so far from what might stick if they were to do the whole program, right? I don't like keeping all the words together from a list for dictation, so we do the word dictation as review instead...but it still gets done.

Mostly I am lost with SWR. I want so badly to understand it, understand why and that seems so far away...though logically I know it really isn't because I can do what they say to do my problem is I don't get why you should do each part their way, what is ok to modify what isn't, what is essential what isn't. It leaves me feeling like I am always on shaking ground like I could suddenly figure out I have missed a key component and have wasted all this time on the program, KWIM? A seminar is going to always be difficult to pull off because I have to be gone for 2 days. That is complicated for multiple reasons, not limited to the fact that I will be coming home in rush our traffic that would take 3 hours vs. the normal 1...so I envision getting home just in time to put the kids to bed and getting up to leave (rush hour traffic in the morning too) before they were up. I would just end up hating it, the whole experience. Sorry to go off on you. I really have a lot of frustration over SWR, don't I? I would be OK with it if I had figured out the program and decided it wasn't for us, but that isn't the case here. I haven't ever figured it all out. I hate feeling that something has beaten me and I feel that way with SWR. Sigh...

Heather

Heather, I'm kinda confused because Wanda told you she would work with you individually in her home if you wanted to meet with her. I was quite impressed with that! Surely, you would understand after you had met with the author. No?

You've received some great feedback already so I don't have much to add, but I feel compelled to share my thoughts with you. I have a one and only (5yo this month) and I guess you could say that we've spent the past year warming up to SWR and already the results have blown me away. I've researched other programs and by far prefer SWR. There is no doubt in my mind that SWR is the cream of the crop (IMHO) and I believe that no other program will help us accomplish our goals better and continue to guide us better than SWR. My ds completely exceeded my expectations for what I thought he was capable of doing with the help and guidance of SWR w/Cursive First. That all said, you need to go with your gut and do whatever you believe will work best for you and your dc. It is not my intention to disrespect anyone else's opinions or experiences and perhaps I am in a different situation and therefore a different mind set than some who have posted, but please don't be discouraged and let others convince you that your dc is not ready or to do/use this or that if you have a strong feeling in your gut.

I wasn't sure how much my ds was really ready to write when we first started last September (4yo) which is why we took things at a slow and steady pace. I didn't think he'd be ready for the actual SWR spelling lists, rules, and etc. until our K5-ish school year, but he proved me wrong, so I just unofficially started going through them until we begin again this fall. (You may read more about that in my K4 Year In Review.) I have learned to not underestimate my ds just because of his age, despite what other hsers may tell me. I believe that when the dc is ready and willing, then as parent/teachers we should encourage them not hold them back. That would be my advice to you I guess... you know your dc, what he does or doesn't need, and how you want to approach those needs... so go with your gut. I'm glad I did.

I hope that you will be encouraged in whatever you choose to do or use. :001_smile:

CMAMA!! So glad to see you! I follow your blog and have talked with you about curriculums through our blogs! I think you are totally right! Thank you for this post.

Originally Posted by HiddenJewel viewpost.gif

Response by Siloam

I think our wires got crossed. I was talking about SWR's dictation method of dictating phonograms and spelling words. However, I do agree that the dictation sentences in AAS are very important.

SWR can definately be overwhelming, but I typically hear this when someone has set down and tried to read the entire book before they start. ERRRR!!! WRONG!!!! Don't do this. Start with the first step and complete it. Then, go to the next step and complete it. Stay 1 step ahead of your children and you will do great and not get overwhelmed. If you do hit a snag, which happens to everyone make sure to utilize the SWR yahoo! group. That place is amazing! That is the reason that I chose SWR. Everyone is so helpful. I'm definately not trying to convince you, but just wanted to share my experience.

I guess that's why it didn't work for me. I need to understand it before I can do it. I can't just follow something blindly. Even though I believed in the program and trusted that it would get me where I wanted to go I just couldn't DO IT without already having a good grasp.

Exactly what Lisa said...

I guess that's why it didn't work for me. I need to understand it before I can do it. I can't just follow something blindly. Even though I believed in the program and trusted that it would get me where I wanted to go I just couldn't DO IT without already having a good grasp.

I guess I would say to this person to go ahead and read it, but don't expect to understand it all. The next time through do what I mentioned earlier about taking it 1 step at a time. Keep in mine the majority of the first 11 steps are preparation. Then, you move to the WISE guide and use SWR the red book as a reference. WISE will tell you when to refer to swr.

Exactly what Lisa said...

From one big picture person to another . . . you CAN do it without understanding the whole picture BUT it takes trust. If you trust the program enough to jump in, it becomes clear quite quickly. I struggled and struggled with SWR because I hate not having the big picture. But I knew it had the components I wanted in a program so I kept plugging away. The more I use it, the more clear it becomes.

From one big picture person to another . . . you CAN do it without understanding the whole picture BUT it takes trust. If you trust the program enough to jump in, it becomes clear quite quickly. I struggled and struggled with SWR because I hate not having the big picture. But I knew it had the components I wanted in a program so I kept plugging away. The more I use it, the more clear it becomes.

:iagree:

I guess I would say to this person to go ahead and read it, but don't expect to understand it all. The next time through do what I mentioned earlier about taking it 1 step at a time. Keep in mine the majority of the first 11 steps are preparation. Then, you move to the WISE guide and use SWR the red book as a reference. WISE will tell you when to refer to swr.

:iagree: BTW... thank you, Julie, for your kind comments. I follow your blog too! :)

I just wanted to add that there are 3 SWR DVDs available which are very helpful. They are all different, but with their own strengths. I'll list them in order of what you may want to view first.

1.) An Introduction to Spell to Write and Read: A Blueprint for Language Arts Success. This DVD gives an overview and scope of the program, along w/interviews of a few who use SWR and explains why the SWR program is one of the best on the market. (In a nutshell, it helps the beginner wrap their head around the program as a whole and decide whether or not to use it.)

2.) You Can Do It! Showing you how to use SWR with your children! This DVD shows examples of Britta, an SWR Trainer, working w/her own children through the beginning steps of SWR (1-11) and starting the spelling dictation process for the WISE Guide, as well as SWR Materials available along w/optional materials to compliment the program. (Good for beginners who have already received their basic materials, reviewed them, and want a visual of what they've just reviewed to get started. This one is my favorite for getting started.)

3.) The Modified Teaching Reading at Home Training Video. This DVD shows more in depth examples/instruction for teaching and reviewing phonograms, dictating pages in the learning log and spelling lists in the WISE Guide, etc. (Great for those who have read through their materials, have a basic grasp of the program and are ready to get started or have started the program, but would like a visual guide/check for a bit of confidence.)

HTH! :001_smile:

Cmama, glad to hear it's going so well for you! I copied down your list of K4 stuff, as it sounds exactly like what I want to do then with my new little one. Keep up the good work! :)
Wow... thank you, Elizabeth! I've always thought of you as a helpful mentor in our homeschool journey, whether you knew it or not, so it's nice to know that I may be helpful in your journey as well. ;)

Hi Karen,

sounds like we're in a similar boat with 4 year olds who are reading well, but still need to know their phonics for future spelling and and to ensure they keep reading well. and like yours, we don't want a lot of writing in the program.

I'm not too sure what the answer is. I'm still waiting for all my copies to show up from the various people, but I have purchased a used SWR set, OPGTR, and Alphaphonics. I like being able to preview the stuff at home and try to figure out if it will work for us. They're only 4, so I feel like I have time to experiment a little to find the best fit. So maybe you can keep an eye out for used stuff on the sale board and pick up a few of the suggestions people had.

I'm not a fan of ETC. I think I just don't like the pictures- I have a hard time figuring some of them out! and there seemed to be quite a bit of writing. but we've never really used the program.

I think I'm going to spend my efforts on teaching the various phonics rules (from one of the books), supplementing with the phonogram cards and maybe the phonogram bingo, doing a few oral spelling bees (to see if they're getting the concepts on which letters to use for which sounds etc), and lots of reading (with trying to note words that are using some of the rules). As one poster said, since they are good readers already, we might not have to do the whole shabang (sp?).

We did start FLL with ours and it's going well so far. I think the first 45 lessons can be done orally (at least I thought I read that).

I'd be curious to hear at some point what you decided to go with and how it is working for you. It would be nice to share feedback on what we're doing.

Mary

This is helpful. DS is 4, turning 5 in February. I'm just starting out with homeschooling, so honestly, I'm not sure exactly what I should be aiming for. DS reads well for a 4-year-old boy, but he definitely doesn't know all of the phonograms. I don't want to go overboard with penmanship, but I do want to introduce cursive with gross motor stuff. What am I trying to accomplish? I am hoping to give DS a good, solid understanding of the English language. Would you suggest doing ETC this year and doing SWR when he is a little older? I'm totally open for suggestions and advice! :bigear: :D

How is his writing? My son didn't start the writing part of SWR until he was just turning 6 secondary to the physical act of writing distracting him from the rest of the lesson. That said, the early info was helpful in preparing him, and he loves, just LOVES knowing all the sounds a particular letter makes. He puffs his chest up working through that huge stack of cards.

SWR isn't "cheap", and marking, laminating, and cutting the cards takes some time. Why not get the book SWR and start reading it now. I took a pencil and slashed through all the extraneous paragraphs (she is "chatty"), and outlined the rest. Then I felt I "knew" the technique, and by then kiddo was ready. Prior to that, to get his hands up to speed, I used the ETC books, gently.

If, at the end of it, you don't like the SWR book, don't buy the other items, and sell or give away your copy. You will have learned something. Doing it now will give you time as your son is young.

Just my thoughts. I've only taught one, but we have enjoyed the method. And my boy wasn't "wordy". He's more mathy/scientist type, but is getting to be more a word lover now that he's pushing 7.

:iagree:

:iagree: BTW... thank you, Julie, for your kind comments. I follow your blog too! :)

I just wanted to add that there are 3 SWR DVDs available which are very helpful. They are all different, but with their own strengths. I'll list them in order of what you may want to view first.

1.) An Introduction to Spell to Write and Read: A Blueprint for Language Arts Success. This DVD gives an overview and scope of the program, along w/interviews of a few who use SWR and explains why the SWR program is one of the best on the market. (In a nutshell, it helps the beginner wrap their head around the program as a whole and decide whether or not to use it.)

2.) You Can Do It! Showing you how to use SWR with your children! This DVD shows examples of Britta, an SWR Trainer, working w/her own children through the beginning steps of SWR (1-11) and starting the spelling dictation process for the WISE Guide, as well as SWR Materials available along w/optional materials to compliment the program. (Good for beginners who have already received their basic materials, reviewed them, and want a visual of what they've just reviewed to get started. This one is my favorite for getting started.)

3.) The Modified Teaching Reading at Home Training Video. This DVD shows more in depth examples/instruction for teaching and reviewing phonograms, dictating pages in the learning log and spelling lists in the WISE Guide, etc. (Great for those who have read through their materials, have a basic grasp of the program and are ready to get started or have started the program, but would like a visual guide/check for a bit of confidence.)

HTH! :001_smile:

No problem! I own the first 2 DVDs and I really enjoyed them. Another HUGE help is that Liz (one of the trainers) does virtual office hours in which you can ask any questions that you choose. You even use webcams so that you can actually see different processes such as the finger spelling. She is also starting mini-seminar classes online and eventually a full-fledged beginners course online.

Since someone brought up laminating the phonogram cards, I'll mention that I actually prefer the WRTR phonogram cards from the Spalding Foundation. They're a really high quality lamination, like playing cards, and come in two convenient sizes (larger, which I have, and smaller, which I'd also like to get). The quality is terrific and the phonograms are almost identical. You could use a sharpie and mark the couple that are different to switch them back to SWR order. I always use the "cheat sheet" that came in my SWR rules and phonogram packets. I laminated it with the super heavy (10 mil?) lamination like you use on bookmarks and I use it as a bookmark in my Wise Guide or whatever I'm teaching from. That way I always have the SWR phonogram sounds and rules handy and the slight differences on the cards don't matter.

Since someone brought up laminating the phonogram cards, I'll mention that I actually prefer the WRTR phonogram cards from the Spalding Foundation. They're a really high quality lamination, like playing cards, and come in two convenient sizes (larger, which I have, and smaller, which I'd also like to get). The quality is terrific and the phonograms are almost identical. You could use a sharpie and mark the couple that are different to switch them back to SWR order. I always use the "cheat sheet" that came in my SWR rules and phonogram packets. I laminated it with the super heavy (10 mil?) lamination like you use on bookmarks and I use it as a bookmark in my Wise Guide or whatever I'm teaching from. That way I always have the SWR phonogram sounds and rules handy and the slight differences on the cards don't matter.

I also prefer the spalding cards.:iagree:

Another question:

If I plan to use SWR formally next year, would it hurt to go through OPGTR with him this year? (Just so that I feel like I'm doing something, I guess...) And if I did go that route, does it matter if he starts at the beginnings (since obviously the beginning lessons would be far too simple for him)?

See, it's not your fault. It's a flaw in the program. You're not the only one who feels that way about SWR and other Spalding-based programs. It doesn't need to be so complicated, and any curriculum that makes the user feel like an idiot or a failure for not doing it "just so" is not a good fit for many people. If the author can only make it clear to 50% of the people who use it, then it's the author who needs to improve the program to make it workable for 80-90% of the intended audience.

Another question:

If I plan to use SWR formally next year, would it hurt to go through OPGTR with him this year? (Just so that I feel like I'm doing something, I guess...) And if I did go that route, does it matter if he starts at the beginnings (since obviously the beginning lessons would be far too simple for him)?

If all you did this year was teach him the phonograms, he would have a great foundation for next year. Seriously! All my dd5 did was learn the phonograms by hearing (not even writing) when she was 4yo and she is doing really well now.

If you felt you needed to do writing, then have him use cornmeal or salt or sidewalk chalk or white board markers or something else creative while he works on the phonograms. He is still young and you won't ruin him if you wait another year for a hard core program.

Edited by HiddenJewel

Another question:

If all you did this year was teach him the phonograms, he would have a great foundation for next year. Seriously! All my dd5 did was learn the phonograms by hearing (not even writing) when she was 4yo and she is doing really well now.

If you felt you needed to do writing, then have him use cornmeal or salt or sidewalk chalk or white board markers or something else creative while he works on the phonograms. He is still young and you won't ruin him if you wait another year for a hard core program.

:iagree: This would be an excellent warm up to SWR.

Side Note: Last year someone, who meant well, recommended for me to use another program before or along with SWR so that I would see reading results much faster/sooner, but I'm glad I just dove into SWR from the very beginning. I'm amazed at what my little man "decodes" with the tools that SWR has helped me to equip him with from the very start. My suggestion would be to pick one and do it... consistency being the key. ;)

Karen,

I started using OPG with my now 6.5yo son last year. He is doing great with it. But I am doing better with it since I got SWR.

I suppose I have a mentor, as a friend across the country first told me about the program and explained it to me a few months ago. Then I read so much about how hard it would be that I looked into using AAS instead. The more I learned, though, the more I wanted to use SWR. I figured it would be my summer project to figure out how to use it. SWR is long, and I have fallen asleep reading it several times. But it all makes sense to me. It doesn't seem difficult to implement.

Someone here (OhElizabeth?) said to read just the first 13 steps or so and get started. Then read the other steps as I need them. So I did, and we have been doing prep work in those first steps. I started my log, am doing some fun preschool activities with my 3yo, gave diagnostic tests to my two oldest, and have started teaching them (and myself) the phonograms. My 23-month-old loves to learn the phonograms, by the way. He asks to go through the cards several times a day, pointing to them and saying /a/ /A/ /ah/. His favorite phonogram is /sh/.

Anyway, my 8yo son tested way higher than I'd planned to start him, so I need to read the entire SWR book and finish my learning log before I should really start him on the program. I haven't gotten back to the book yet, but I will in the next couple of days.

I'm using this time to work on cursive, as my 2nd could NOT handle Cursive First a year ago. (He is doing very well now on the chalkboard.) We quickly review the phonograms every day (my 6yo knows them the best), and we are continuing with OPG. I said OPG is easier for me now that I have SWR. That is because I keep a copy of the SWR phonograms list in the OPG book, and when my son or I have a question about something, the answer is right there. Phonics actually makes sense now! And OPG is a great program. It fits nicely with the SWR philosophy, IMO. It just isn't meant to be quite so exhaustive or succinct as that one phonogram page with spelling rules on the back.

I am planning to finish OPG with my son in a few months (he'll do Lesson 140 tomorrow), and we're using SWR primarily as a spelling program. My older son was in public school until a year ago, and I don't know what kinds of phonics background he got (he is a very good reader, but there are bound to be holes), so we'll do a fairly quick fill-in. I haven't decided whether I'll teach my two younger boys to read with OPG or SWR. I suspect both.

I agree with others that you can do as much or as little as you like with your son. --(I didn't see it answered anywhere, but yes, you could skip lessons in OPG. The first 26 are about the letters, and we skipped those and went quickly through the next 10 or so lessons, even though my son couldn't read at all. Your son would probably go very quickly through for a while.)

I hope this wasn't too repetitous of other posts and has something useful for you. Good luck, whatever you decide!

Okay, so I purchased a used copy of WRTR and am in the process of acquiring a copy of OPGTR. It will be nice to see the programs. At this point, I am thinking that I will just purchase the sandpaper letters and the phonogram game cards for this year. Maybe Cursive First, since it's not outrageously expensive, but as I haven't seen the program at all, I have no idea if I would use it at all (anyone?). Also, are the phonogram game cards very similar to the phonogram cards that come in the core kit, or am I totally off on that?

Okay, so I purchased a used copy of WRTR and am in the process of acquiring a copy of OPGTR. It will be nice to see the programs. At this point, I am thinking that I will just purchase the sandpaper letters and the phonogram game cards for this year. Maybe Cursive First, since it's not outrageously expensive, but as I haven't seen the program at all, I have no idea if I would use it at all (anyone?). Also, are the phonogram game cards very similar to the phonogram cards that come in the core kit, or am I totally off on that?

IMHO if you are going to do the games, etc. I would suggest at the bare minimum purchasing the phonogram cards. You really need those before you do anything else. I **think** that you could just purchase Cursive first and the phogram cards and start there. However, it would be nice to also purchase the phonogram bingo (or you could make it yourself) and the guide is really important for you to grasp it, but I **think** if you have enough trust in the program you could start with CF and the phonogram cards. There are plenty of games that you can play without having any specific bought game. The SWR yahoo group has TONS of ideas for games in the files section. One big determining factor- how old is your child?