Menu

Hello... and could you explain something to a Londoner?

Hello, this is my first post :)

My name is Clare, and I have a nearly 4 year old DS, a 16 month old DD and a DD due end September. We live in London, UK. I've been interested in home schooling for ages, and am using this time to investigate curriculums, all the different styles of doing it, etc etc.

I'm loving WTM (and Charlotte Mason and some aspects of unschooling! :confused:) but, just for ease of reading, could someone please tell me what ages roughly correspond with your American school grades? I think the English system might be a little different.

Thank you :)

Welcome! There are others on here from the UK as well.

In answer to your question,

Kindergarten: 5/6 yo

1st grade: 6/7 yo

2nd: 7/8 yo

3rd: 8/9 yo

4th: 9/10 yo

5th: 10/11 yo

6th: 11/12 yo

7th: 12/13 yo

8th: 13/14 yo

9th: 14/15 yo

10th: 15/16 yo

11th: 16/17 yo

12th: 17/18 yo

WOW! That's what I call a response. Thank you :D

My DS is 4 in October, so he would be grade 1 (6/7) in Sep 2012. I am honestly convinced of the benefits of waiting to start 'formal' education, but it's soooo hard with your first - I just want to get stuck right in!

Clare

WOW! That's what I call a response. Thank you :D

My DS is 4 in October, so he would be grade 1 (6/7) in Sep 2012. I am honestly convinced of the benefits of waiting to start 'formal' education, but it's soooo hard with your first - I just want to get stuck right in!

Clare

There's no reason to start with a bang just because your ds is Official School Age. You can ease into it, little by little. :-)

I know, I need to :chillpill: ! It's just all a bit too exciting, like a new project.

I've ordered the Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading, because DS has just taught himself all the upper and lower case letters from fridge magnets, and keeps on asking me to spell things out, and points out letters in everything he sees. But, if it turns out that OPGTR is a bit too soon, I've no problem with leaving it a bit longer as he's so little, and really it's just my wish to be doing 'something' at the mo!

At the moment I'm 6 months pregnant and we're trying to move house, to somewhere that will need a LOT of work, so I really should take this opportunity to relax! (not one of my strong points ;))

Clare

I have a friend who taught her kids to read at an early age. I think if your dc is up to it, go for it. I tried with my dd5 when she was about 4 or 4.5, and it just didn't work. I put it away for a few months, came back to it, and she's doing fine. We don't do a lesson every day, though. You can take it easy if necessary and stretch it out.

Hello, this is my first post :)

My name is Clare, and I have a nearly 4 year old DS, a 16 month old DD and a DD due end September. We live in London, UK. I've been interested in home schooling for ages, and am using this time to investigate curriculums, all the different styles of doing it, etc etc.

I'm loving WTM (and Charlotte Mason and some aspects of unschooling! :confused:) but, just for ease of reading, could someone please tell me what ages roughly correspond with your American school grades? I think the English system might be a little different.

Thank you :)

Welcome! And now that these other posters have answered your question, I'll just say that we now want to know the story behind your user name! :)

:lol: It's from Blackadder III - the sketch is on You Tube.

'Rotten Boroughs' are one of the only things I remember from studying history at school, so this always makes me smile (and brings back good memories!).

Possibly doesn't say much for our school history though (and is perhaps why I'm here!).

Clare

:lol: It's from Blackadder III - the sketch is on You Tube.

'Rotten Boroughs' are one of the only things I remember from studying history at school, so this always makes me smile (and brings back good memories!).

Possibly doesn't say much for our school history though (and is perhaps why I'm here!).

Clare

Well that was an education for me--never heard of Blackadder III! Funny sketch! Your backstory is better than mine. I just like to...um...make muffins.

It sounds like you are busy with a new baby on the way and moving and all that. I've done that before. It's crazy, but it can be done.

That said, the time now before you actually start academics is a great time to read, review, compare and contrast curriculum. Read up on educational philosophy and all of that good stuff.

Have you joined the EO yahoo list?

Did you recognise 'House' though? ;)

The Blackadder series' are a fantastic supplement to British History - you should definitely investigate them for older children (high school?) if they're studying any of our periods in greater depth.

Yes, I did! But I couldn't place him until you said the name! Thanks, that was driving me crazy!

I haven't seen Blackadder (any of them) in more than a decade. I used to watch it religiously along w/other Britcoms on my PBS staation when I was in high school.

Thank you for the memories!!!

You're more than welcome!

Gosh, this forum is dangerous... 2 hours and 10 posts later, it's 1am, and I'm definitely, definitely, going to bed...

Thanks for the link Snickerdoodle - I keep on meaning to join. I'm on the MuddlePuddle Early Years list (HE for under 8s), but think I should be joining and supporting more home educating groups, especially with the Government Review going on :mad:

If you're interested in unschooling (which in the UK is usually called autonomous education) you might want to join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AEUK

And welcome from a fellow Brit.:seeya:

Just had to say....

Love Blackadder!!

Also, don't worry about turning 5 and being of appropriate age. If it were me (and it will be again in a few years) and I had a child showing interest I would work on reading, letter & number recognition, colors & shapes, counting, and there are a host of great nature based science programs for little ones.

Also, Welcome!

I have a friend who taught her kids to read at an early age. I think if your dc is up to it, go for it. I tried with my dd5 when she was about 4 or 4.5, and it just didn't work. I put it away for a few months, came back to it, and she's doing fine. We don't do a lesson every day, though. You can take it easy if necessary and stretch it out.

:iagree: Dd was eager to read at 3. Ds, not so much. Let your child tell you if he's ready by seeing how he responds to some gentle (age-appropriate) introduction.