Menu

Has anyone seen the new "Singapore" workbooks?

I was at the school supply store yesterday and next to the dwindling rack of Singapore math books was a new rack of Singapore books. I only had a few minutes to browse them. The new word problem books were named something like 70 Essential Word problems. They only had 70 problems in them and each problem had a full page of work space and a full page solution instead of just the answer. There were also books with the numbers and A and B for each level with a note below that the level was appropriate for the grade above - so the the 3A and 3B were as noted as for grade 4. We were in a hurry so I didn't get a chance to compare content. I didn't see any textbooks or teachers guides for these. Has anyone else encountered these new books?

I was at the school supply store yesterday and next to the dwindling rack of Singapore math books was a new rack of Singapore books. I only had a few minutes to browse them. The new word problem books were named something like 70 Essential Word problems.
These are published by Frank Schaffer. Amazon has a "Look Inside" for all levels. For a homeschooler using Singapore Math, the Extra Practice books from SingaporeMath.com are a much better buy -- they cost a little more, but have less white space and many more pages. The Math Practice books would be good for a parent unfamiliar with the program who wants to work with their child at home because they contain relatively detailed solutions to the problems.

Perhaps the Must-Know Word Problems would be good for those who can't get CWP. I wonder if they have problems comparable to the "Challenging" sections in CWP... though I suppose it doesn't matter if there is no other choice. Many parents will appreciate the detailed solutions, but they don't quite jibe with the Singapore tendency emphasizing mental math calculations.

That is exactly the stuff at the school supply store. I will have to schedule myself some time to sit down and compare them to the standards editions when I go back in a few weeks to buy the 4a&b stuff for my dd.

I am glad that I have the full set of CWP, but I just might appreciate the detailed solutions when we get into the higher word problems - but then again.... I like the books packed with problems.

Somebody (with lots of time and money) should buy them and try them out. ;)

These are published by Frank Schaffer. Amazon has a "Look Inside" for all levels. For a homeschooler using Singapore Math, the Extra Practice books from SingaporeMath.com are a much better buy -- they cost a little more, but have less white space and many more pages. The Math Practice books would be good for a parent unfamiliar with the program who wants to work with their child at home because they contain relatively detailed solutions to the problems.

Perhaps the Must-Know Word Problems would be good for those who can't get CWP. I wonder if they have problems comparable to the "Challenging" sections in CWP... though I suppose it doesn't matter if there is no other choice. Many parents will appreciate the detailed solutions, but they don't quite jibe with the Singapore tendency emphasizing mental math calculations.

I noticed it said on the cover of Math Practice that these compliment the current program used in Singapore. So they may not correspond exactly to the current program sold at Singaporemath.com.

So now I think I understand the "70...." takes the place of CWP. But what does the other take the place of? The workbook, EP, IP? Or maybe does it go with the Standards ed-so you'd get the Standards text, workbook, and then these two books in place of EP, IP, and CWP? I read the press release but I'm not understanding where these "fit in".

So now I think I understand the "70...." takes the place of CWP. But what does the other take the place of? The workbook, EP, IP? Or maybe does it go with the Standards ed-so you'd get the Standards text, workbook, and then these two books in place of EP, IP, and CWP? I read the press release but I'm not understanding where these "fit in".

I don't believe they take the place of anything. They are not published by SingaporeMath, MarshallCavendish or any Singapore affiliate or official publishing company. Frank Schaeffer is a long time American public school publisher. As Singapore is used in more school districts in the US, more mainstream publishers will jump on the band wagon. I am assuming that since they are published by an American publisher for the US public school market they would have to correlate with the Standards Edition since it is the edition created for the California public school system. Just my guesses.

Thanks for clarifying. So would you actually need it if you are already using Standard ed with the HIG and CWP-would there be any benefit? Or don't we know yet?

Figures they'd change it-I had just finally gotten my Singapore components all straight.

Edited by HappyGrace

I have the 70 Must know word problems from level 2 to 6 and Math Problem Solving Strategies levels 4-6 both books released by SAP Some of the word problems are similar to CWP, some are different. One thing I like best about the books are the solutions. CWP do not have solutions. Don't know why Frank Sheaffer is selling them so expensively though. In Asia, the 70 must know word problems costs USD 3.00 at bookstores.

Can you clarify that last sentence? Are you saying that the new books/problems don't jibe with Singapore's emphasis on mental math, or that providing detailed solutions doesn't jibe with the emphasis on mental math?

If you mean the detailed solutions, how does having detailed solutions not jibe with mental math?

thanks!!

Can you clarify that last sentence? Are you saying that the new books/problems don't jibe with Singapore's emphasis on mental math, or that providing detailed solutions doesn't jibe with the emphasis on mental math?
The former. If you look at the solutions, the arithmetic is presented using solely traditional algorithms, with no reference to mental math techniques. I have only seen the "Look Inside" pages, but judging by this, it is even true of very basic problems like multiplying by 10.

these are stand alone books produced by SAP , Singapore Asian Publications. www.sapgrp.com. Their site is currently upgrading though.

Here is a site where you can a multitude of Singapore Math books

https://www.popular.com.sg/jsp/product/list_product_by_cat.jsp?vca001=112

The Math Practice books at Amazon show page samples. I noticed that in Levels 5A and 5B, the students are encouraged to use calculators.

The Math Practice books at Amazon show page samples. I noticed that in Levels 5A and 5B, the students are encouraged to use calculators.
:eek:

The former. If you look at the solutions, the arithmetic is presented using solely traditional algorithms, with no reference to mental math techniques. I have only seen the "Look Inside" pages, but judging by this, it is even true of very basic problems like multiplying by 10.

thanks, wanted to make sure I was understanding you!

Are they slowly doing away with primary math U.S. Ed?
SingaporeMath.com's position is that as long as it sells, they'll continue to publish it. My guess is that after a few years there will only be the Standards Edition, because the two editions are so similar (the Standards Ed. includes more content-wise) and I'm given to understand that the HIG's for the Standards Ed. are superior.

The workbooks being discussed in this thread are not put out by SingaporeMath.com and are not directly correlated with either the US or the Standards Ed.

My guess is that after a few years there will only be the Standards Edition, because the two editions are so similar (the Standards Ed. includes more content-wise) and I'm given to understand that the HIG's for the Standards Ed. are superior.

I am curious as to what makes you say that the HIG for the Standard Ed. is superior. I am curious because I keep going back and forth as to whether I should switch from the US to the Standards Edition. My dd has completed 1A-2B. I already have a lot of the US editions, but my dd does need more review, and from what I understand the Standards include more review. Having better HIGs just might push me over the edge to go ahead and sell the US editions and get the Standards edition.

Jan

I am curious as to what makes you say that the HIG for the Standard Ed. is superior.
Only that it's my understanding from what I've read from Spy Car and others here. I've seen the Standards EB, but that's it. Edited by nmoira

I am curious as to what makes you say that the HIG for the Standard Ed. is superior. I am curious because I keep going back and forth as to whether I should switch from the US to the Standards Edition. My dd has completed 1A-2B. I already have a lot of the US editions, but my dd does need more review, and from what I understand the Standards include more review. Having better HIGs just might push me over the edge to go ahead and sell the US editions and get the Standards edition.

Jan

I wrote the author, Jenny at Singaporemath.com to compliment her on the Standards Edition HIGs for Level One. In the course of that online dialogue she said the Standards Edition HIGs were a substantial upgrade from the US Edition HIGs.

I've never seen the US Edition HIGs first-hand, but I am finding the SE versions to be quite good, and IMO an "essential" element of Singapore Math.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...
I wrote the author, Jenny at Singaporemath.com to compliment her on the Standards Edition HIGs for Level One. In the course of that online dialogue she said the Standards Edition HIGs were a substantial upgrade from the US Edition HIGs.

I've never seen the US Edition HIGs first-hand, but I am finding the SE versions to be quite good, and IMO an "essential" element of Singapore Math.

Bill

I own the U.S. edition HIG for 1B. I just purchased it today...it was very similar to the HIG for the Standards edition. I have the 2A HIG as well...this one for the Standards edition...it is _great_...set up very similar to 1B U.S. edition HIG.

What the Standards edition HIGs (and at least the U.S. edition HIG for 1B) is very different from are the guides that were originally written for Singapore, and which are also sold by singaporemath.com

I actually use the guides for New Syllabus Primary Math, the chapters don't line up but a lot of the content does.

• 1 month later...

I glanced at the new Singapore 70 Must-Know Word Problems books at B&N the other day. They struck me as VERY "dumbed-down" versions of the CWP books. The whole point of CWP was to provide an intellectual challenge. Typical stupid Americans wanting material aimed at the lowest common denominator rather than stretching our brightest minds...

I am SO glad that I picked up a copy of the CWP series before it went OOP!

:iagree:

I have all levels of CWP and bought one of the new books (70 Word Problems) for comparison....and there is no comparison. The problems aren't nearly as good, and it's just a ton of white space with one problem on each page! The only good thing is they have all the answers-with bar diagrams-in the back.

Edited by HappyGrace

There is another thread about something like this. I looked at the books referenced there on Amazon and wasn't impressed. I wouldn't use them in place of PM and I doubt that as a supplement they would do any good at all in the hands of parents who don't know anything about the Singapore method.