Menu

Do any of you have a medicinal garden??

If so what do you have planted? I have a little plot outside of my front window (about 10'x4') that I think would be good for an herb garden. I have done research for a long time and it is just dizzying the amount of plants that I could choose. I would ultimately like to have plants that are attractive as well known medicinals and to have a variety as well. I don't want 20 plants that treat stomach ailments for example.

I also am hoping to have a variety of colors in the garden as well, (not all pink flowers for example), and I would love to have the plants arranged so that something is in bloom at all times and plants that can also withstand the heat of zone 10. Am I crazy?? Is this too ambitious an undertaking?? Has anyone else done something like this that was successful?? How did you plan your plot?

Thank you in advance to all who reply. :)

Blessings,

Jennifer

If so what do you have planted? I have a little plot outside of my front window (about 10'x4') that I think would be good for an herb garden. I have done research for a long time and it is just dizzying the amount of plants that I could choose. I would ultimately like to have plants that are attractive as well known medicinals and to have a variety as well. I don't want 20 plants that treat stomach ailments for example.

I also am hoping to have a variety of colors in the garden as well, (not all pink flowers for example), and I would love to have the plants arranged so that something is in bloom at all times and plants that can also withstand the heat of zone 10. Am I crazy?? Is this too ambitious an undertaking?? Has anyone else done something like this that was successful?? How did you plan your plot?

Thank you in advance to all who reply. :)

Blessings,

Jennifer

:lurk5: I've always been intrigued by medicinal plants. Jennifer, I don't think you're crazy but your description of your perfect garden sounds a bit like my search for the perfect history curriculum.

:lurk5: I've always been intrigued by medicinal plants. Jennifer, I don't think you're crazy but your description of your perfect garden sounds a bit like my search for the perfect history curriculum.

LOOOOL :lol::lol: Oh. You have NO idea!! I did research for months... MONTHS!! And I created a type of database on a Word document where I had a picture of the plant in flower, all of the care information (full shade, part shade etc) and soil type, the months that it bloomed and the height and growth pattern of the plant ie. clumping vs. spreading etc. I had about 60 plants listed and I was going to start plotting them out on a dry erase board and see what worked and what didn't until my husband decided to "clean up" the computer and I lost EVERYTHING!! To be fair to him he "backed it up" but that is another way of saying "you will never find this file again" sigh. :(

You will have fun! I started with just a few herbs, both culinary and medicinal, and they are beautiful in the summer. Here is a nice site to help you with your search for the perfect herbs for your garden: http://altnature.com/gallery/index.html

Here is where I got some of my seeds. Their KidzHerbs gift pack is a nice way to start. http://www.botanical.com/products/seeds/seeds.html

Here is a nice site with helpful info on making choices. http://www.herbexpert.co.uk/

This site has a nice collection of seeds (right now unfortunately out of stock) http://www.bulkherbstore.com/SMHS

My favorite herbal gardening book is Growing 101 Herbs That Heal by Tammi Hartung. Another book that has cute garden plans for different types of medicinal gardens is Herbal Remedy Gardens by Dorie Byers. Hope this helps~

Edited by Blueridge
making it easier to read~

You will have fun! I started with just a few herbs, both culinary and medicinal, and they are beautiful in the summer. Here is a nice site to help you with your search for the perfect herbs for your garden: http://altnature.com/gallery/index.html

Here is where I got some of my seeds. Their KidzHerbs gift pack is a nice way to start. http://www.botanical.com/products/seeds/seeds.html

Here is a nice site with helpful info on making choices. http://www.herbexpert.co.uk/

This site has a nice collection of seeds (right now unfortunately out of stock) http://www.bulkherbstore.com/SMHS

My favorite herbal gardening book is Growing 101 Herbs That Heal by Tammi Hartung. Another book that has cute garden plans for different types of medicinal gardens is Herbal Remedy Gardens by Dorie Byers. Hope this helps~

Thank you so much for all of the wonderful links, Ginger. :) That's brilliant! :)

No matter what else you plant, do plant some form of peppermint, camomile, sage, and rosemary. These are humble basics, to be sure, but it is often said, "Why should a man die whilst sage grows in his garden?"

I'm crazy about herbs, and have spent YEARS developing my own fantasy herb garden... Ahh... Now if I only had the land, money, and resources to create it in real life!!!

Oh, oh! My other MUST have is a good, old-fashioned rose. Perhaps the apothecary rose? They smell wonderful, the flowers are edible, and the rosehips make a terrific jam. (They're historically accurate for just about any era, too.)

Have fun researching, creating, and exploring!!! :)

I do. Here's what I have planted:

Calendula

Comfrey

Lady's Mantel

Feverfew

Lemon Balm

Mint (peppermint and spearmint)

Valerian

Myrtle

Echinacea

Soapwort

Rosemary

Lavender

Verbena

Basil

Sage

Thyme

Chamomile

Hyssop

And these that I let grow wild on the property:

Plantain (ribwort)

Mugwort

Nettle

Yarrow

Jewelweed

Self-heal

Honeysuckle

Red Clover

Burdock

Raspberry Leaf

I may be leaving a few out, but these came to mind first. I make a lot of my own medicines and herbal preparations. Good luck! :)

I like Firefly's list

I have quite a few of Firefly's list, but I also have some Horehound, Marshmallow, Elecampane, Oregon Grape, and Uva ursi, Garlic.

I also want to add Lobelia, Yarrow, Hops. I would love to have a bigger herb garden... I think the neighbors would kill me if I planted some nettles- thankfully, they grow wild around here. Some cayenne would be a good one to grow in your heat- I am zone 5 so I can't really get a good crop of cayenne, but I do use it quite a bit.

The growing 101 herbs is a good book.

Oh! I forgot my book recs:

The Herbal Medicine Makers Handbook

The Complete Medicinal Herbal

Growing 101 Herbs that Heal

The Family Herbal

You are not being crazy or overly ambitious to undertake this-- most herbs are very easy to grow! But I would suggest starting with a few priority herbs that you know you'll use a lot. Around here that's mint for tummy troubles, chamomile and lavender (for restless nights or frazzled nerves... not that we ever have those ;)) and comfrey (I use it for all sorts of topical ailments). So pick your top 5 or 10 to start with... then add from there.

Plot planning is not my forté! But fortunately winging it worked for me. I just tried to plant the ones that get tall in the back, and worked in succession down towards the the front row where I put the really low growers. It's fun to experiment, and they don't mind being moved around a bit. Herbs aren't conducive to a manicured look... your herb garden will look like an English country garden (which I happen to love!) so just have fun with it!

Also wanted to mention, some herbs I keep in pots (Rosemary and some of my culinary herbs, which I didn't list before) so I can bring them in for the winter; but in zone 10, you may be able to enjoy your herbs for a much longer season.

Happy Growing! :D

There was a 70 year old man who planted a "medicinal herb garden" down in a rural part of VA where my inlaws live. Then when the police showed up, he set it on fire and went staggering down the road.

That's not what you had in mind is it? :001_huh:

:lol: That's the first thing that popped into my mind :lol:. Well, not your specific story, because that would be creepy and weird, but the type of medicinal herb garden.

There was a 70 year old man who planted a "medicinal herb garden" down in a rural part of VA where my inlaws live. Then when the police showed up, he set it on fire and went staggering down the road.

Just say no to the wacky tabacc-ky! :D

No matter what else you plant, do plant some form of peppermint, camomile, sage, and rosemary. These are humble basics, to be sure, but it is often said, "Why should a man die whilst sage grows in his garden?"

I'm crazy about herbs, and have spent YEARS developing my own fantasy herb garden... Ahh... Now if I only had the land, money, and resources to create it in real life!!!

Oh, oh! My other MUST have is a good, old-fashioned rose. Perhaps the apothecary rose? They smell wonderful, the flowers are edible, and the rosehips make a terrific jam. (They're historically accurate for just about any era, too.)

Have fun researching, creating, and exploring!!! :)

Cool. Thanks so much. So you think the apothecary rose would be the best one? What do you think about dog roses (rosa canina)? Thanks for your reply. :)

Thanks Firefly for the great list and book recommendations. :)

Thanks for your reply Lighthouse. :) I've never thought of cayenne as an herb and you are right, peppers grow really well down here. I usually grow peppers in containers on my upstairs balcony outside my bedroom. I may have 40 plants up there growing at one time. I am a pepper JUNKIE and get all kinds of varieties to grow. I wish I could have the same sucess with eggplants. I have only ever gotten one very tiny one. For some reason I just have no luck with them. The aphids and white flies just destroy them. :( sniff.

hehehehehe No, I meant a legitimate herbal garden, nothing quite that exciting. hehe ;) :p

Did anyone mention aloe vera? Good for sunburn!

Think about permaculture instead of plotting the perfect garden. I'm told this means throwing everything in everywhere and taking note of what actually grows so you can refine your technique the next year :D I think the aim is you are so busy happily planting that you won't have time to be miserable about what doesn't grow, lol.

:)

Rosie

Did anyone mention aloe vera? Good for sunburn!

Think about permaculture instead of plotting the perfect garden. I'm told this means throwing everything in everywhere and taking note of what actually grows so you can refine your technique the next year :D I think the aim is you are so busy happily planting that you won't have time to be miserable about what doesn't grow, lol.

:)

Rosie

LOL Yeah aloe grows prolifically here and there are always millions (okay maybe not millions) of babies. :p

The problem with just throwing seeds and seeing what grows is that I'll have no idea what it is when it comes up. :p ;) hehe

Lol. I think you're supposed to buy seeds with pictures on the packets ;)

Rosie

I have some already, but I'm so dense I'd probably be there looking at the plant, and then at the packet, and then back at the plant, and then at the packet and probably still wouldn't be able to figure it out. :confused: :p So many herbs have similar foliage. :glare:

My other MUST have is a good, old-fashioned rose. Perhaps the apothecary rose? They smell wonderful, the flowers are edible, and the rosehips make a terrific jam. (They're historically accurate for just about any era, too.)

R. gallica aka The Apothecary's Rose is a very historic rose, and would be very appropriate in a Northern garden. But it is quite unlikely to thrive in a climate like "near Miami" where it would get no winter "chill".

A Tea Rose (not Hybrid Tea) would be nice.

Bill

I've actually long wished to grow opium poppies (not to consume) but because they are so beautiful.

But I decided it might get too complicated :lol:

Bill

R. gallica aka The Apothecary's Rose is a very historic rose, and would be very appropriate in a Northern garden. But it is quite unlikely to thrive in a climate like "near Miami" where it would get no winter "chill".

A Tea Rose (not Hybrid Tea) would be nice.

Bill

Do you have a species name that would work in zone 10? Preferably one with good hips? :p

I've actually long wished to grow opium poppies (not to consume) but because they are so beautiful.

Bill

:lol: hehehe loco!

After reading your question, I pictured Brother Cadfael's herbary and herbarium cum workshop at the Abbey in Shrewsbury in my mind's eye. And, yes, I would love to have something like that.

Sounds lovely!! English gardens are so pretty. :) Ours look so wild we have so many tropicals. :p

Bill

I once had a boyfriend in San diego who grew just that...and it was complicated...but beautiful, too. and, apparently, medicinal.

I have a range of herbs- mostly in pots because we rent. However, I find some herbs thrive where we live- mediteranean ones mostly, since that is our climate- but many others- often the English ones- don't do well. So, my garden reflects what survives around here more than what I have actually planted.

I do however have a wonderful collection of organic dried herbs that I use regularly as teas for various ailments. I just pulled out my yellow dock and nettle actually, after reading the anaemia thread, and I have a pot brewing right now. It was just the reminder I needed.

I order from Companion Plants. I've been buying herb plants there since college, and they're very knowledgeable, so they'd be able to tell you what would thrive in your growing zone, I would think. They sell live plants or seed.

I just finally got an herb garden in here this year. So far I have several kinds of mint, calendula, horehound, marshmallow, yarrow, sage, thyme, parsley, oregano, catnip and comfrey. I also still have a coneflower plant (echinacea) and a hops plant languishing in pots. They need to go in, posthaste. I have a big patch of bloodroot I didn't plant. It's under a honeysuckle bush. I also have burdock, wild yarrow, plaintain, wild roses that set tons of hips, and wild raspberry. Herbs are so much more forgiving than vegetables.