Menu

Any tips on dealing with an itchy cast?

Dd5 fractured her arm last Friday. She now has a full arm cast. :( She had it put on yesterday morning and has already complained of itching. Any tried and true tips?

I read online that blowing cold air into the cast helps, I was thinking of using our little mini air compressor that we use to pump up bike tires to blow a stream of air in there. :D Too extreme?

In a couple weeks we get to replace this cast with a smaller, waterproof one, so I'm hoping this will be a very short-term problem!!

you can buy them at Sam's and Costco, and at electronic equipment wrehouse places like Fry's. (They are also available at big box office supply places, but they're more expensive there.)

If that's what I'm thinking of, you have to be very careful about the distance away from the skin because the air is so cold.

My dh cut a clothes hanger to the right length and use pliers to make a narrow loop on one end. Then he took some of that thick white first aid tape and wrapped it around the loop, just to make sure there were no jagged edges. It worked perfectly.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I'm a little scared to use the compressed air, it does have a warning on it re: spraying it on your skin (at least mine does) but maybe our air compressor will do the trick. And I have some knitting needles, so if the air doesn't work I will try those and the ice. She hasn't complained at all today, so I haven't had to try anything yet. :001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anthony

A number of years ago I developed a product that works great and everybody absolutely loves. Parents looking for something for their young child in a cast especially appreciate the effective relief it gives them.

There's a sampling of comments from customers on the site. Go to www.castscratcher.com. Will absolutely solve the problem.

Guest Anthony

A number of years ago I developed a safe and effective product for this very purpose. Parents of young children are especially appreciative of the relief it brings them. Everybody absolutely loves it.

There's a sampling of comments from customers on the website. Go to www.castscratcher.com

Sure to solve the problem.

• 1 year later...

Just adding this to the list of alternatives:

http://castcooler.com/alltestimonials.html ...it draws airflow into the cast to keep it dry inside and reduces bacteria which causes odor and itching. It claims to reduce itching...not quite good enough in our situation, so I got the scratcher from link in the previous post, too.

I ordered these for my son who started itching terribly(in the crease of his arm) the day after getting his cast, really flared his anxiety disorder and I needed a real solution. I hope that between them both we can avoid hysterics. No kidding.

Geo

Edited by Geo
added details

I used the hair dryer on the cool setting when I broke my arm last summer. I figured it was meant to be used on the human body so was the safest option.

When ds10 broke his arm this past Spring, the doctor told us to use a hairdryer on the coolest setting, and to hold it against the cast because the vibrations would help as well.