Menu

Singapore Math

stephanie

• Textbook and Workbooks are essential.
  • The Home Instructor's Guides are very helpful. They contain solutions to the textbook problems, lesson plans, games, manipulative activities, mental math sheets and a schedule.
  • Children needing extra practice would probably benefit from the aptly named Extra Practice books. The questions in these are at about the same level as the Workbooks.
  • Children adept at math might benefit from the Intensive Practice books. These assume mastery of the material and contain questions more challenging than those in the Workbooks.
  • I'm not sure which levels of Challenging Word Problems are still available. CWP 1 is not essential. CWP 2 is pretty good. CWP 3 and up are first rate supplements to any program.

• Textbook and Workbooks are essential.

• The Home Instructor's Guides are very helpful. They contain solutions to the textbook problems, lesson plans, games, manipulative activities, mental math sheets and a schedule.

• Children needing extra practice would probably benefit from the aptly named Extra Practice books. The questions in these are at about the same level as the Workbooks.

• Children adept at math might benefit from the Intensive Practice books. These assume mastery of the material and contain questions more challenging than those in the Workbooks.

• I'm not sure which levels of Challenging Word Problems are still available. CWP 1 is not essential. CWP 2 is pretty good. CWP 3 and up are first rate supplements to any program.

nmoira summed it up really well so I'll just add in an :iagree:. I'd definitely go for the home instructors guides over the teacher guides. While the HIG's are quite pricey and one could do the program without them I find them useful for supplemental activity ideas and for getting more use out of the manipulatives that we have. I went out and purchased all the levels of the CWP when the announcement came out that they were going OOP. I'm glad I did. I've gone through them all and they look fantastic!! I highly recommend you buy them, if they're still available. Even if you do decide to go with another program, they make a fantastic supplement.

I am really glad I got the HIG's. I debated back and forth, and finally got them because I'm not really a "mathy" person. They include a lot of ideas for reinforcement of concepts(card games, etc), and I'm just not good at thinking up stuff like that on my own.

I feel so much more comfortable having the HIG's to round out the program.

I didn't get any sort of extra practice workbooks, because I figured I could print something off the internet if my dc needed extra practice on something.

I'd start with the HIG (very helpful though not essential), Text and workbook, and go from there.:)

:iagree::iagree: If you want something else, get that Model Method book they have out. I'm hoping it's good; I have a great book that included the model method that is now out of print. Understanding the model method is fabulous, especially starting with SM 3. It's also used in CWP, but they're going out of print.

We used Singapore from the 2's to the end of the 6's and needed no extra practice type books. The HIGs have games and other ideas for reinforcing some things. My son tests very well on Minnesota's required yearly testing.

Julie

P.S. You do need separate math facts. That is where we've spent any extra time. That and adding variety in other ways (fraction games were very helpful).

Edited by Julie in MN

Singapore Math has it's own forum, and there is a mod there that is very helpful and quick to reply to any questions you may have. I would also suggest taking the placement test. I got the teachers guide for 1A and it was enough to for me to grasp the general SM concept (which I love and I was a math major in college). I may get another for 4A/B, to make sure I am on track. http://singaporemath.com

I was struck by how good the HIGs are for the Standards Edition 1A/1B.

There is no question in my mind that I'd consider these "essential". A parent who was educated in math in the typical American fashion could easily go wrong trying to teach Singapore the wrong way. There is a method and rational to Singapore, a parent needs to understand it.

I'm liking the "Intensive Practice" book quite well. More challenging and interesting than the regular workbook (which we are also using). For the IP when had to order the "US" version since the "SE" version isn't out yet. No problem.

The SE versions of the HIGs are a substantial upgrade from the US versions from what I'm told, and for that reason would be enough to choose SE were I just starting out.

Thanks to Moira's clarion call I've got a full set of CWPs. Those are still for the future.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Another 2 cents, if i may, and you can even get a refund. :001_smile:

You do not need the extra workbooks to teach the basic math concepts and methodology for Singapore. However, one of the reasons why Singapore students have had top math scores in the world for many years running is because they push for mastery through extra practice, memorization, and diligence.

Having tutored many PS high school and college students who were literally on the verge of tears because they “hated†math, I found most of it can be attributed to two things. The first being Math teachers themselves, whether it be their inability to assess a student, communicate in a manner that the student can relate, or they are so under thumb of the political system which is our public education system that their hands are completely tied that they can't effectively teach to the individual. I tend to feel the later is most prevalent; there are some very, very wonderful math teachers out there. Secondly, and this is not any one teacher’s fault, but somehow the student was forced, pushed, given up on, or however it happens, made to continue on to the next mathematical concept before they had a firm grasp of it. Either of these make for an unhealthy math education, IMO.

In summary, I feel SM is a very complete curriculum and that the supplemental work was very much intended and expected in the Singapore system. I use MOST, but not all of it. What is the old adage "practice makes perfect".

Geez, can you tell I’m HS deprived right now while my kid is at camp! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the reminder about CWP, I ordered 4,5,6 RR is out of grade 3.

I got all my CWP's from Christian Book because I was ordering some other things that RR didn't carry. 3 of them were bo'd but did come in, so now I have all of them 2-6. Maybe try them?

So-- if I am looking to buy Singapore 1A/1B Standards edition I would need:

1A workbook

1A textbook

1A home instructors guide (is this really needed for 1A?)

1A practice

and same for 1B.

Is there somewhere cheaper than Singapore.com? That is around $100 total. Is that what you all spend for 1 year math?

Don't mean to take away from original post--just thought this was along the same lines of the conversation....

Thanks!

1A workbook

1A textbook

1A practice

and same for 1B.

Is there somewhere cheaper than Singapore.com? That is around $100 total. Is that what you all spend for 1 year math?

Don't mean to take away from original post--just thought this was along the same lines of the conversation....

Thanks!

Yes. That's what I'd advise. Including the HIG for 1A. This includes vital teaching elements and activities that are not in the textbooks and really round-out the program.

You wouldn't know you were missing something, but you would be missing quite a lot.

And there are two "practice" books. Extra, if your child needs "more" ath basically the same level (form what I understand) and the IP which is more challenging. For the moment the SE Edition of the IP are not yet released so we are using the US Edition Level 1 IPs.

Bill

1A workbook

1A textbook

1A practice

and same for 1B.

Thanks!

ETA I would never spend $100 per year for math at any level, and have never spent that much for a year of Singapore.

I haven't checked the Singapore site, but some of the books have a small discount at Rainbow Resource Center. Also, I bought some of my texts used. This is why I have some grades with US workbooks but the other edition for the text! I like the US for the measurements and money.

Edited by Karin

1A workbook

1A textbook

1A practice

and same for 1B.

Thanks!

I used to order from Sonlight, and then later from My Father's World. An A/B set (two texts & two workbooks) would run about $35 for the year, and the HIGs were about the same but with good resale value. I don't think $100 is unreasonable for a year but I think you can do better than that even with the extra practice book (which I didn't use).

Julie

I have not been able to find cheaper prices for the Standards edition. The US Edition is slightly cheaper. I think the $100 is because of it being the Standards? Most homeschool resource stores don't seem to carry Stds, even MFW which I plan to use. They only have US Edition. :( Not sure if I want to spend that much on Math alone...

(the price includes shipping)

I have not been able to find cheaper prices for the Standards edition. The US Edition is slightly cheaper. I think the $100 is because of it being the Standards? Most homeschool resource stores don't seem to carry Stds, even MFW which I plan to use. They only have US Edition. :( Not sure if I want to spend that much on Math alone...

(the price includes shipping)

I bought many of the text books used for about half price. Also, used curricula sales can be very helpful. I've sold all of our gr 1 & 2 SM materials minus the workbooks this way.

• 3 weeks later...
I was struck by how good the HIGs are for the Standards Edition 1A/1B.

There is no question in my mind that I'd consider these "essential". A parent who was educated in math in the typical American fashion could easily go wrong trying to teach Singapore the wrong way. There is a method and rational to Singapore, a parent needs to understand it.

I'm liking the "Intensive Practice" book quite well. More challenging and interesting than the regular workbook (which we are also using). For the IP when had to order the "US" version since the "SE" version isn't out yet. No problem.

The SE versions of the HIGs are a substantial upgrade from the US versions from what I'm told, and for that reason would be enough to choose SE were I just starting out.

Thanks to Moira's clarion call I've got a full set of CWPs. Those are still for the future.

Bill

Thanks for talking up the HIG! I just received my first order of Singapore materials and after just a brief glance at the HIG, I am very happy! I started out using Miquon, which I still think is a great program, it just didn't provide me with enough direction IYKWIM.

Thanks for talking up the HIG! I just received my first order of Singapore materials and after just a brief glance at the HIG, I am very happy! I started out using Miquon, which I still think is a great program, it just didn't provide me with enough direction IYKWIM.

I'm glad you're happy with the HIGs.

On the Miquon front, did you ever read the "First Grade Diary"? While quite different from an HIG in style this book does take you through the first year of the Miquon author teaching a group of children and is chock full of activities and insights that I've found extremely valuable.

Bill

Textbook and workbook. Home Instructor's guide, at least until you get the hang of it. I also think that the book Elementary Mathematics for Teachers is an invaluable resource for people teaching Singapore math. It gives you an overview of the whole program rather than just the part you're working on so you know where you're going with it. The other books aren't essential. If, after you've used the program awhile you find that your child needs more challenge or depth then the IP and CWP are both good. I prefer CWP but the IP is great too.

I'm glad you're happy with the HIGs.

On the Miquon front, did you ever read the "First Grade Diary"? While quite different from an HIG in style this book does take you through the first year of the Miquon author teaching a group of children and is chock full of activities and insights that I've found extremely valuable.

Bill

Not really. :blush: I recall glancing at it when I first started using Miquon, but it seemed to have more ideas that were for a classroom and I put it on the shelf somewhere. Maybe I should dig it out and take another look at it! Thanks!