Menu

We just got back from our "one day we will go across country" vacation

Loved it. We saw everything on my list and then some. The Arch in St Louis, drove throught he Rocky mtns and played in snow in June (what little was left), the Canyon Lands, Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, finally made it to the Back Hills of S Dakota to get a black hills gold necklace. Drove through the Mtns and the prairies, canyons. Amazing country we live in. The kids had a great time. We also visited Zion park in Utah, Snow Bird Utah, drove through Salt Lake City. Even my teen who seemed teenish some of the times admitted he secretly had a great time. We put 5000 miles on our Sienna which is now nicknames Ol' Faithful.

We did a trip like that when I was in 7th grade--we went to many of the same places. From Michigan to St. Louis (the Arch), down to Oklahoma, Texas, over to Arizona (Grand Canyon), Wyoming (Yellowstone) and South Dakota (Mt. Rushmore) before returning home. It was a 2 week trip. We were at Yellowstone 2 weeks before they had their big fire. The motel we stayed in at the park, within eyesight of Old Faithful, burned down.

That is so awesome! I wish to take a year (or even 3-4 months) to do that. There will always be snow in the Rocky Mtns, just have to get high enough! Sometimes I cannot get through a road even in July. :)

Right now we're making it a point to travel as much as we can. So far this spring/summer we saw all the Colorado and Utah national parks. My husband travels and now that I don't work and homeschool my DD4, we're going to visit every place he goes. He's in Mexico now, so as soon as my daughter's passport arrives, we'll be heading there.

We absolutely love trips like that. They are so good not only for seeing the country/world, but also for family cohesion and togetherness... I'd be on one permanently if we could figure out the finances!

Thus far we've done two around the US - one and two months respectively (taking in all 48 states), one to maritime Canada - 3 weeks, and one month in the Hawaiian Islands... I suppose the 3 weeks in Florida could count too, but we used to live there, so maybe not. It wasn't totally new as the others were.

Now we have to wait for the economy to pick up to do any more... We'd love to do Western Canada and Alaska... or New Zealand and Australia... or China... heck, there are few places I wouldn't want to go!!!

I'm glad you had a great time - and thanks for the chance to reminisce!

One day, I'm going to take the kids on a trip like that! Two trips like that--one to Alaska & back and one across the States. At least two trips.

My mom took the four of us on a cross country trip twice and I loved it. Once mom drove us to FL and back & dad fly there to meet up with us. The second time, dad went with us.

How long did you spend traveling?

Was your husband able to go the whole time, too?

Did you stay at hotels or camp?

Any tips for those of us still in the dreaming stages? :)

yvonne

Oh, I'm so green! That's what I really want to do. I am doing preliminary planning to go to Arizona and Utah next year, but we most likely won't be able to drive out and we most likely won't be able to spend as much time as I'd like. But ten days in lower Utah and northern AZ would be better than nothing.

One day, I'm going to take the kids on a trip like that! Two trips like that--one to Alaska & back and one across the States. At least two trips.

My mom took the four of us on a cross country trip twice and I loved it. Once mom drove us to FL and back & dad fly there to meet up with us. The second time, dad went with us.

How long did you spend traveling?

Was your husband able to go the whole time, too?

Did you stay at hotels or camp?

Any tips for those of us still in the dreaming stages? :)

yvonne

DH had to work in Utah for 2 days so we just went along with him and added our vacation in with his business trip. When we arrived in St. George the kids just were happy to swim all day and relax for we had been driving and sight seeing 4 days by the time we arrived in Utah. DH only had to work 1/2 day on the second day so we were able to go Zion National Park the rest of the day. We stayed in hotels. Hampton Inns and Holiday Inn express because they offered free breakfast. Tips for planning stages is get some travel guides and see what there is to do. We used the National Geographic travel guides they had driving and sight seeing suggestions. Also, if you are planning to visit National Parks or National Forrests think about purchasing an annual park pass. We purchased ours in St. Louis since the arch is a national monument and received a discount on the tickets then the rest of the parks were paid for with the pass. We plan to use it through out the years, it pretty much paid for itself.

I want to do this someday, it sounds so fun! I've never been south of DC, and would really like to rent an RV and travel to all the states someday. Good for you guys, what a wonderful memory for the whole family.

I love road trips. one year we did the drive to Yellowstone and back, in a loop to hit different states and sites coming and going. Another year we went East to DC and again did a fat loop to hit different states and sites each way. I wish we could have driven to S. California last June, but our old van would not have made it (nor would we have had time to do all we did driving a rental van up and down California).

Did I mention I love road trips?

I love road trips. one year we did the drive to Yellowstone and back, in a loop to hit different states and sites coming and going. Another year we went East to DC and again did a fat loop to hit different states and sites each way. Each trip was almost three weeks. I wish we could have driven to S. California last June, but our old van would not have made it (nor would we have had time to do all we did driving a rental van up and down California).

Did I mention I love road trips?

A cross-coutry trip is so much FUN! Ds ad I did it when he was 10.

I had to laugh about your teen. Ds is now 15, doesn't want to be seen in public with his parents and is giving me a hard time about the new RV (too expensive, don't need it, etc) we're getting to help with changing my medical appliance. He just mentioned the other day he'd like to do another cross-country trip, of course in the new RV. :D

So Lynn, have you caught up on the thread you started about where to eat in St. Louis? We St. Louisans want to know WHERE YOU ATE!!!

Glad you had a great trip!

Chelle

We ended up choosing Pappy's bbq. Loved St. Louis. The weather was perfect when we were there and hung around the park after we visited the Arch and musem.