Menu

After reading "The Gift of Dyslexia"....

I'm 90% positive ds6 is dyslexic. It would explain so many things!

Anyone have any experience to share? advice? know of a fabulous curriculum that utilizes the Symbol Mastery techniques???? I have SWR...and have shelved it for the time and am using Word Mastery from www.donpotter.net I feel like the phonics knowledge is coming along fine. It's reading it on a page with other words that is ds6's biggest hurdle. That, and writing...in cursive he does well....trying to print, he's all over the place - his form is nice, it's just backwards or upside down or letters reversed! He has a strong auditory sense - phonemic awareness is great! We've played "glue and un-glue" the word orally since he was about 4yo. He *sees* the cuisenairre rods in his head for math - oral drill is a breeze (games like "Go to the Dump are fun!), but give him plain 6+7= on the page and he tries to manipulate somebody into giving him an oral clue......(I'm seeing this now, after reading the book:001_huh:)

More book recs? help? come hold my hand!?!:confused:

I would check out Susan Barton's site http://www.dys-add.com. That and Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz really helped me see things clearer.

Here is a list of symptoms Shaywitz has on her site:

delayed speech (not speaking any words by the child's first birthday. Often, they don't start talking until they are two, two-and-a-half, three, or even older.)

mixing up sounds in multi-syllabic words (ex: aminal for animal, bisghetti for spaghetti, hekalopter for helicopter, hangaberg for hamburger, mazageen for magazine, etc.)

early stuttering or cluttering

lots of ear infections

can't master tying shoes

confusion over left versus right, over versus under, before versus after, and other directionality words and concepts

late to establish a dominant hand

May switch from right hand to left hand while coloring, writing, or doing any other task. Eventually, the child will usually establish a preferred hand, but it may not be until they are 7 or 8. Even then, they may use one hand for writing, but the other hand for sports.

inability to correctly complete phonemic awareness task

despite listening to stories that contain lots of rhyming words, such as Dr. Seuss, cannot tell you words that rhyme with cat or seat by the age of four-and-a-half

difficulty learning the names of the letters or sounds in the alphabet; difficulty writing the alphabet in order

Trouble correctly articulating R's and L's as well as M's and N's. They often have "immature" speech. They may still be saying "wed and gween" instead of "red and green" in second or third grade.

It's not clear to me what symptoms you see in your son. Maybe you can elaborate? Developmentally, many kids reverse their letters for a while.

When my son was six, he had speech problems, couldn't recognize the letters of the alphabet no matter how hard we tried, couldn't tie his shoes and had bad phonemic awareness. Even now, he can't write in cursive and can't read it. He also can't memorize many of his math facts.

The good news for you is that your son is so young. At that age, most people recommend Reading Reflex, by Carmen McGuinness. Cheap and all you need!

Good luck and HUGS to you.

Lisa

You know what is frustrating for me? If I look at that list, my son only had one on the list - unable to master tying shoes. Yet he has other signs that make 3 of 4 evaluators say he is on the dyslexia spectrum. Honestly, that list gave me false hope that he wasn't dyslexic but also made me feel guilty wondering if I had just been that bad of a teacher.

It's not clear to me what symptoms you see in your son. Maybe you can elaborate? Developmentally, many kids reverse their letters for a while.

My ds doesn't fit that list...he can't tie his shoes...but other than that, his phonemic awareness is fabulous! He can break down the sounds of words and tell me what letters (and most blends and digraphs) make those sounds. When I dictate a word to spell, if I break down the sounds for him "/th/ /i/ /s/" he spells well. Now, if I give him a page with the word "this" written on it and ask him to read....there is a mental block there. He can read it on a card in isloation, but in a book he draws a blank. He will spend a whole minute sounding out /th/ /i/ /s/ on page one and do the same on page 2, and then on page 3.....

For my ds, I think it's a purely visual/spatial thing. He shows signs of having the "gift" part of dyslexia as well. Until we got to the point where I thought that he should be able to read given his knowledge of phonics, his ability to spell, his intense desire to read books, etc......there were no problems.

There were a lot of things in the "Gift of Dyslexia" that struck me, that aren't listed on every list of symptoms.

You know what is frustrating for me? If I look at that list, my son only had one on the list - unable to master tying shoes. Yet he has other signs that make 3 of 4 evaluators say he is on the dyslexia spectrum. Honestly, that list gave me false hope that he wasn't dyslexic but also made me feel guilty wondering if I had just been that bad of a teacher.

Yep! I understand that!

I think I'm actually doing well teaching phonics - I can't tell you how many hours I've spent agonizing over if I should switch curric and to what????? I'm thinking the key for my ds6 is not a different approach to phonics, but keeping the letters on the page still.

My ds doesn't fit that list...he can't tie his shoes...but other than that, his phonemic awareness is fabulous! He can break down the sounds of words and tell me what letters (and most blends and digraphs) make those sounds. When I dictate a word to spell, if I break down the sounds for him "/th/ /i/ /s/" he spells well. Now, if I give him a page with the word "this" written on it and ask him to read....there is a mental block there. He can read it on a card in isloation, but in a book he draws a blank. He will spend a whole minute sounding out /th/ /i/ /s/ on page one and do the same on page 2, and then on page 3.....

For my ds, I think it's a purely visual/spatial thing. He shows signs of having the "gift" part of dyslexia as well. Until we got to the point where I thought that he should be able to read given his knowledge of phonics, his ability to spell, his intense desire to read books, etc......there were no problems.

There were a lot of things in the "Gift of Dyslexia" that struck me, that aren't listed on every list of symptoms.

Yep! I understand that!

I think I'm actually doing well teaching phonics - I can't tell you how many hours I've spent agonizing over if I should switch curric and to what????? I'm thinking the key for my ds6 is not a different approach to phonics, but keeping the letters on the page still.

I know others have had not so good experiences with vision therapy, but our experience has been amazing. My son reads much like yours. He can rhyme, read words in isolation, hear and say phonemes... When he had his eval for vision therapy we discovered that he wasn't tracking consistently at all. That was causing some of the problems and as his tracking has improved, so has his reading. We still have a very long way to go though.

My DD fits most of that list, those are also things that have popped up for Auditory Processing... she apparently bombed that testing on Friday (bombed in the sense - she "has it", but i don't have the report yet).

I've thought at times she was dyslexic, but then i realize there is other stuff that it falls under that makes more sense.

Hence, a trained professional needs to decide it all - like a doctor.

I know others have had not so good experiences with vision therapy, but our experience has been amazing. My son reads much like yours. He can rhyme, read words in isolation, hear and say phonemes... When he had his eval for vision therapy we discovered that he wasn't tracking consistently at all. That was causing some of the problems and as his tracking has improved, so has his reading. We still have a very long way to go though.

We just completed vision testing today. We won't get the results until the 10th (doc out of town). I know from the preliminary eval she has tracking issues, so really, between that and the auditory stuff i have hope for better reading.

Add in the SID/SPD eval we are waiting on..

ANYWAY, i have to agree, that list fits my DD to a T!

I agree with Tracy..my dtr was evaluated with dyspraxia and Auditory processing disorder (1%). Both of these conditions mimic the same symptoms found with dyslexics. Having a slow short term memory hinders reading,too. After reading the Barton website, I ordered ABeCeDarian to help my dtr with phomemic awareness and get her jump started with reading. Unfortunately we need to work on her memory issues. Now we are into Earobics because I can not afford fast FOrword. I found that too much phonemic awareness work has created bad habits, i.e not blending b a into ba smoothly etc. SO I went back to 100 EZ lessons and am doing that side by side with ABECeDArian.

If any child by 4 or 5 is still having speech problems and can't tell left from right..please take the time and have them evaluated by an OT and speech pathologist. It is well worth the time and effort.

Virginia

I agree with Tracy..my dtr was evaluated with dyspraxia and Auditory processing disorder (1%). Both of these conditions mimic the same symptoms found with dyslexics. Having a slow short term memory hinders reading,too. After reading the Barton website, I ordered ABeCeDarian to help my dtr with phomemic awareness and get her jump started with reading. Unfortunately we need to work on her memory issues. Now we are into Earobics because I can not afford fast FOrword. I found that too much phonemic awareness work has created bad habits, i.e not blending b a into ba smoothly etc. SO I went back to 100 EZ lessons and am doing that side by side with ABECeDArian.

If any child by 4 or 5 is still having speech problems and can't tell left from right..please take the time and have them evaluated by an OT and speech pathologist. It is well worth the time and effort.

Virginia

I also agree that symptoms overlap. Ds has some auditory processing issues as well. Tracy, we were doing Earobics also. We recently stopped to do Brainware Safari - ds has bigger problems with a poor working memory and processing speed (WISC IV showed this). This is a TOUGH program, but I love it! The first few days, he refused to do certain "games" because they were too hard. Have you seen any progress with Earobics?

Ahh, if only I knew that ds's speech problems and not recognizing the alphabet were a BIG sign. I wouldn't have sent him to PS to experience Whole Language! Aaaack!

I also agree that symptoms overlap. Ds has some auditory processing issues as well. Tracy, we were doing Earobics also. We recently stopped to do Brainware Safari - ds has bigger problems with a poor working memory and processing speed (WISC IV showed this). This is a TOUGH program, but I love it! The first few days, he refused to do certain "games" because they were too hard. Have you seen any progress with Earobics?

Ahh, if only I knew that ds's speech problems and not recognizing the alphabet were a BIG sign. I wouldn't have sent him to PS to experience Whole Language! Aaaack!

We aren't doing anything yet - so no feedback on Earobics. :D

Last i heard our public school uses whole language too - one of the teachers there had hired a tutor from the local Christian school to teach her kids phonics - and i'm a product of whole language experimentation in CA. I wouldn't do that to my child....

In other words, if the court mandates my kids go to public school in this divorce "battle", i'll STILL be teaching the 2 youngest phonics and reading at home. (this is for the STBXH, lawyer, MIL and anyone else reading my posts)

I really really want to get Brainware Safari for my DD. Have since CHristmas.

I'm just not sure i can dream up the $$ before the offer expires on the 30th.

I would say - keep reading. The Gift of Dyslexia was my least favorite book that I have read on the subject. My mil, who has dyslexia, didn't like the book, and my dh (who also has it) finds the title offensive.

Overcoming Dyslexia is great. I just found a book called "The Secret Life of the Dyslexic Child" that I thought was great. It was really practical and helpful!

I would check out Susan Barton's site http://www.dys-add.com. That and Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Shaywitz really helped me see things clearer.

Here is a list of symptoms Shaywitz has on her site:

delayed speech (not speaking any words by the child's first birthday. Often, they don't start talking until they are two, two-and-a-half, three, or even older.)

Very odd. I have three children: one probably dyslexic, one very strong reader, and one normal reader so far (age 6, bright and picking up reading quickly with phonics instruction). The 8-year-old definitely isn't dyslexic. Yet he had most of those symptoms when he was a preschooler, much more so than my oldest dyslexic child. He started speaking when he was about 2 1/2, and his speech was unintelligible to outsiders until he was about 3 1/2. He didn't learn the /k/ sound until he was 4 1/2. I thought he'd have trouble reading, but he didn't at all. He was reading simple chapter books by age 6. My youngest was a late speaker too, and her reading is coming along fine so far. My oldest said her first word at 12 months and had 50 words by age 2, which I read at the time was normal, but she's the one who had all of the reading difficulty.

All of this to say that this list definitely didn't apply to my family.

My oldest said her first word at 12 months and had 50 words by age 2, which I read at the time was normal, but she's the one who had all of the reading difficulty.

All of this to say that this list definitely didn't apply to my family.

That's like my ds. He has always been a big talker - his vocab is huge for a kid his age imho and he has never really had speech problems. The breakdown is on the page.:confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking the key for my ds6 is not a different approach to phonics, but keeping the letters on the page still.

After reading The Gift of Dyslexia, it seems to me that it describes dyseidetic dyslexia rather than dysphonetic dyslexia. The dysphonetic type is far more common. I met a woman at the GIFTSNC conference last year who believes her son would never have learned to read without the methods described in The Gift of Dyslexia. She saw results within weeks. If you feel like the book accurately describes your son, I'd go ahead with using the exercises in the book. Just be aware that the methods described in this book are not what works for most dyslexics.

For making the letters stand still, colored overlays work for some people.

I would say - keep reading. The Gift of Dyslexia was my least favorite book that I have read on the subject. My mil, who has dyslexia, didn't like the book, and my dh (who also has it) finds the title offensive.

Overcoming Dyslexia is great. I just found a book called "The Secret Life of the Dyslexic Child" that I thought was great. It was really practical and helpful!

Thanks for that advice - I kept reading LOL! I found Overcoming Dyslexia and the book about color overlays (can't recall the title at the moment...) The more I read, the more I know he doesn't have a phonetic problem - it's a visual one. It's good to know. He's actually improving a good deal doing the clay activities (Symbol Mastery) in Gift of Dyslexia with the "trigger" words.

Reading all this - I've see-sawed in my mind over currics about 100000000times!!!:001_huh::lol:

After reading The Gift of Dyslexia, it seems to me that it describes dyseidetic dyslexia rather than dysphonetic dyslexia. The dysphonetic type is far more common. I met a woman at the GIFTSNC conference last year who believes her son would never have learned to read without the methods described in The Gift of Dyslexia. She saw results within weeks. If you feel like the book accurately describes your son, I'd go ahead with using the exercises in the book. Just be aware that the methods described in this book are not what works for most dyslexics.

For making the letters stand still, colored overlays work for some people.

Off to google *dyseidetic dyslexia*! I don't think he has an extreme case at all, and he's young enough (and sheltered from school enough) that the Symbol Mastery activities will likely be all he needs. (hoping)

I did do the "cake test" with him, and he passed - as far as I can tell - (and I'm admittedly NOT trained to diagnose anything!!!) - he told me he can see the cake from MY eyes!:001_huh: He has a gift for seeing things like C.rods in his head...so the shoe seems to fit, so to speak.....I'll keep reading.

Dyseidetic dyslexia - yep! I think he's got that to some degree. Honestly, dyslexia does pop up in my family tree quite a bit. I'm going to keep going with the Symbol Mastery technique for all trigger words for now, and see where that leads. I will re-evaluate his reading and decide if we need to get formal testing in a month or two.

Paula,

You just described my 2nd dd to a T. She could spell very well for over a year before she could blend. And it wasn't just that she couldn't blend but when she saw the letters she had a hard time recalling what sounds they made. If I gave her the sounds she was able to blend. She just had a block with letter to sound vs. sound to letter.

I am glad to say that with a lot of multi-sensory (Sand Letter Cards and writing in sand) drill in the phonograms she did get past it. Now she is going into 4th and I just recently gave her a reading test. She is still a little slow in her reading, reading at the beginning of 3rd instead of the end. I wasn't surprised there as she is very picky about reading every word correctly, so if she starts and messes up she usually goes back to the beginning of the sentence. She can read higher than grade level. I am going to have to work through Great Leaps Fluency and Reading program for 3rd-6th graders to try to help her improve her speed and reading accuracy. Overall though I am happy with her progress. There is hope. :D

For my ds, I think it's a purely visual/spatial thing.

We are pretty much all visual spacial learners here. I don't know about switching curriculium, but I can tell you what worked here and why.

AAS for spelling/phonics because its focus is spelling, her strong suit, and it uses and encourages multi-sensory methods. The last time I tested her she spells at a 4th grade level, so she continues to be strong in spelling, unlike many dyslexic people (like me).

For math Right Start has worked wonders. I still use Singapore, but RS is our cornerstone. Again it is because it is multi-sensory that it works so well.

For writing I have found that the WTM methods work the best. Gentle, doesn't expect too much of the child. Because the rest of WTM writing is not out I move over to Classical Writing, which follows the same philosophy.

Grammar I have only seen a couple of programs that are multi-sensory. Winston Grammar is the cheapest, but I personally struggle with picking out the subject and main verb of a sentence. I find the methods of Junior Analytical Grammar and Analytical Grammar to work much better for me because you eliminate other parts of speech first before finding the subject and predicate. My oldest did fine with it, though she is probably has more discalculia (makes lots of little math errors, hates reading a clock and can't draw a straight line to save her life). We will see if it works for my 2nd dd. For now I am doing the oral work in First Language Lessons with her and that seems to be going well. Grammar Punk is on my list of programs to eventually investigate.

For history and science...I found Winter Promise worked well. I still use many of their book recommendations, though I use it with TOG as our spine now. I would still be using WP science if I could get the kids to agree to study anything other than animals and plants. Next year we vary well will do WP's Animals and Their Worlds level again, then Shoot, Sprout, Buzz, Bite.

Bottom line: if it is working don't overly stress about changing.

Oh and for full disclosure, I haven't read the book, though it is on my list to read. I think I do own the book, LOL! I was tested and diagnosed through the Irlen Institute which is on the visual dyslexia side, though I have symptoms of other issues as well. The filters do help me with reading, though to date I don't see them help my 2nd dd much. Now I haven't had her tested and the color of overlays customized to her, but you would think our colors would be similar and mine don't improve her reading at all when using mine. In fact I just recently did time reading tests with and without them and her scores were pretty much the same, with her score without them being a little higher. If you are looking for avenues to take I would move that possibility lower on the list.

Heather

Heather - THANK YOU! for that post! :001_smile:

I think a lot of my curric choices are somewhat similar to yours. I will keep Winston Grammar in mind. We are starting with FLL in August, so we'll see how that goes. I am loving TWTM writing/grammar from what I have seen in the planning stages. (and am hoping SWB has years 5-8 laid out so neatly before I get there - hint, hint;) LOL)

My ds thrives on multi-sensory maths too. The best thing I've done for him thus far is start him on C.rods in maths. He reverses numbers like crazy even though he has very good understanding of the concepts - the rods have certainly saved his love for math.

AAS is a huge temptation for me. I am using SWR right now (actually taking a break from it - hehe) Your post encourages me to keep plugging along. I know at some point his reading will catch up to his spelling.

Heather - THANK YOU! for that post! :001_smile:

I think a lot of my curric choices are somewhat similar to yours. I will keep Winston Grammar in mind. We are starting with FLL in August, so we'll see how that goes. I am loving TWTM writing/grammar from what I have seen in the planning stages. (and am hoping SWB has years 5-8 laid out so neatly before I get there - hint, hint;) LOL)

My ds thrives on multi-sensory maths too. The best thing I've done for him thus far is start him on C.rods in maths. He reverses numbers like crazy even though he has very good understanding of the concepts - the rods have certainly saved his love for math.

AAS is a huge temptation for me. I am using SWR right now (actually taking a break from it - hehe) Your post encourages me to keep plugging along. I know at some point his reading will catch up to his spelling.

Yes I am interested to see what SWB does with WWE in the future. CW is a wonderful program, but I am sure what ever SWB comes up with will be easier to use. As the years go by easier becomes more and more appealing. :blink:

Actually SWR was what I used for my 2nd dd. I moved over to AAS when my 3rd dd who is more classic dyslexic-can't spell worth beans was totally overwhelmed with SWR. If SWR is working for you, then just stick with it. The only conceptual difference I have seen so far is AAS will teach all the syllable rules where SWR doesn't. Not that SWR doesn't do syllables, but AAS teaches the rules where Wanda feels there are so many exceptions to the rules that it is not needed, though I do believe a summary of the rules are in the SWR guide.

My dd still reverses her numbers in math, though it is much better than it used to be (almost every number). She is self correcting a lot more these days. Yea!

Heather

If I understand you, your son reads words in isolation well, but when in context, that is in sentences, he struggles?

If this is what you mean, there are some simple things to try before heading to the vision therapist. A common problem for struggling readers is with their focusing. Good English readers see clearly what they are focused on, usually 2-3 letters, then decreasing clarity as you move to peripheral vision. Good English readers are also asymmetric in their peripheral vision in that they have broader peripheral vision to the right than to the left. Good readers suppress the information coming from their peripheral vision so that what is being focussed on is what is being processed in the brain. Some readers do not have these characteristics. All the letters they are seeing are getting the same brain attention as those that are being directly focused on. This creates a lot of confusion for the reader. It is not known if this is an acquired problem or an inherited problem.

The simplest way to remediate this type of problem is to use a notched card, developed by Hilsie Burkard of the Promethean Trust and co-writer of the reading program Dancing Bears. Take a 3x5 or business card and cut a square out of the left corner. Place the card over the text, exposing one spelling (a letter or letter group that represents a sound) at a time. Have him say the sound for that spelling then blend them together when the word is exposed. As he becomes quicker and smoother move to exposing a word at a time, then several words, then a line, etc. The card masks the text so that the reader doesn't get confusing information. An MIT study found this type of intervention extremely helpful (assuming the reader knew all the other skills and information necessary for reading, that is, had been taught sufficient phonics information). I did not know about the card, but I did similar work with my daughter. It took about a week of intensive work and then she read great.

Hope that helps!

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(1)

If I understand you, your son reads words in isolation well, but when in context, that is in sentences, he struggles?

If this is what you mean, there are some simple things to try before heading to the vision therapist. A common problem for struggling readers is with their focusing. Good English readers see clearly what they are focused on, usually 2-3 letters, then decreasing clarity as you move to peripheral vision. Good English readers are also asymmetric in their peripheral vision in that they have broader peripheral vision to the right than to the left. Good readers suppress the information coming from their peripheral vision so that what is being focussed on is what is being processed in the brain. Some readers do not have these characteristics. All the letters they are seeing are getting the same brain attention as those that are being directly focused on. This creates a lot of confusion for the reader. It is not known if this is an acquired problem or an inherited problem.

The simplest way to remediate this type of problem is to use a notched card, developed by Hilsie Burkard of the Promethean Trust and co-writer of the reading program Dancing Bears. Take a 3x5 or business card and cut a square out of the left corner. Place the card over the text, exposing one spelling (a letter or letter group that represents a sound) at a time. Have him say the sound for that spelling then blend them together when the word is exposed. As he becomes quicker and smoother move to exposing a word at a time, then several words, then a line, etc. The card masks the text so that the reader doesn't get confusing information. An MIT study found this type of intervention extremely helpful (assuming the reader knew all the other skills and information necessary for reading, that is, had been taught sufficient phonics information). I did not know about the card, but I did similar work with my daughter. It took about a week of intensive work and then she read great.

Hope that helps!

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(1)

Thanks!

We already use an index card to cover the lines below/beneath. I remember doing that when I was a kid, so I just did it with ds. We have been using the Abeka readers (which are kinda busy....but ds likes the pictures...).

Heather - I am going to start over with SWR in August (at section A - again LOL) We are going to do the Symbol Mastery technique with any and every word that isn't super-easy for him. I think AAS level 1 would be too slow for ds, yet I don't think he'd do well with level 2 w/o level 1...so SWR it is! He takes pride in that little Spelling Log, he's actually asked for it :001_huh::lol:

I'm hoping to get Talking fingers "Type Read and Write" soon. I *think* that will compliment SWR.

You are all so helpful!:bigear:

We already use an index card to cover the lines below/beneath. I remember doing that when I was a kid, so I just did it with ds. We have been using the Abeka readers (which are kinda busy....but ds likes the pictures...).

If he is having visual issues I would stop using books with pictures for a while, or at least cover the pictures until he has read the page. I know that sounds harsh, but the pictures are a distraction, making it easier for him to lose his place and mess up his left to right tracking.

Just a thought,

Melissa

Minnesota

Reading Program Junkie

dd(11) dd(7) ds(5) ds(1)

Thanks!

We already use an index card to cover the lines below/beneath. I remember doing that when I was a kid, so I just did it with ds.

You actually need to cover the line above! It is counter-intuitive, but here's the explanation from my dyslexia page:

Again, I highly recommend "The Complete Handbook of Children's Reading Disorders" by Dr. Hilde L. Mosse for anyone with a dyslexic student. For each type of reading disorder, she includes explanations of the problem and also helpful tips and techniques for treatment. In her example of treatment of Linear Dyslexia with a cover card, she talks about how the use of a card below the line, while often used, is actually not the best method of treatment. Instead, she explains:

A folded piece of paper or, much better, an unlined card should be held above the line the child is reading, not beneath it. This is the so-called Cover Card Method of treating Linear Dyslexia. The reason for this position of the card is that it can steady the eyes, which have a tendency to wander above and not below the line being read, and it can connect the end of one line with the beginning of the next, thus indicating the return sweep and making it easier on the child's eyes. By blotting out all the text that has just been read, the cover card helps the child to concentrate on just that one line he is reading. By holding the card at a slant with the left corner slightly lower than the right, and by pushing it down while he reads, the child steadies his gaze and at the same time pushes his eyes from left to right and down via a correct return sweep from one line to the next. This is by far the simplest, cheapest, and most effective treatment for Linear Dyslexia.

While Mosse's book is quite old, she has a lot of information not in any other book I've found about dyslexia and is also one of the few people who discriminate between dyslexia caused by teaching methods and true organic dyslexia.

(When you cover the bottom line, the child also does not learn how to sweep from the end of one line to the line below it, an important skill in reading and also one that is missing in those with linear dyslexia. She explains this elsewhere in the book.)

Edited by ElizabethB

I fretted needlessly, and read tons of 'stuff' on dyslexia, CAPD, Sensory Integration, and more. We did extensive auditory testing, OT, speech testing, and more. All for naught.

When my very visual/spatial, lefty reached 7 1/2, somehow it just all 'clicked.' He went from reading 'hat' and 'wet' to reading level 3 books within about a month. That was last fall. As we sat on the deck last night with him reading part of 'Akimbo and the Elephants' to his little brother, I just watched him in amazement.

While there may be underlying issues to address with your son, it may also just be a matter of him being ready.

Sounds like you're doing a great job being vigilant while you wait. :)

After reading the Barton website, I ordered ABeCeDarian to help my dtr with phomemic awareness and get her jump started with reading. Unfortunately we need to work on her memory issues. Now we are into Earobics because I can not afford fast FOrword. I found that too much phonemic awareness work has created bad habits, i.e not blending b a into ba smoothly etc. SO I went back to 100 EZ lessons and am doing that side by side with ABECeDArian.

IME, ABeCeDarian isn't the best choice for a child with phonemic awareness issues and memory problems. It's a good program, just not for that kid. They move to quickly, don't spiral back through old info, not enough review of each topic to cement mastery, too many new sounds/spellings introduced at once.

Wilson is wonderful - works on decoding and encoding (reading and spelling). So is HEC Horizons (used with All about Spelling for better work on spelling). So is Barton (but barton's expensive and still really does need All About Spelling).

All the best,

Katherine

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson is wonderful - works on decoding and encoding (reading and spelling). So is HEC Horizons (used with All about Spelling for better work on spelling). So is Barton (but barton's expensive and still really does need All About Spelling).

All the best,

Katherine

Katherine,

We are just about to complete level 2 of Barton. My dd is 13y and she has struggled for 4 years with SWR. I finally gave up and switched to try Barton this summer. I gave Barton a try as I found both levels used at a good price. I am wondering if you could give some more info on Wilson before I purchase another level of Barton? Can you tell me if it is harder to use Wilson than Barton? I don't use the scripting in Barton just the basic outline to know what to do? MY DD reads at a 4-5th grade level but just can't seem to get passed that level and her spelling even though she knows all the 70 phonograms and can sound out words her spelling is really bad. I wished I would have switched from SWR sooner now. She has also completed two years of Vision therapy which has helped also.

Thanks for any help you can give,

Shelly