Menu

Has anyone been to a Broadway play?

We'll be visiting Connecticut later this summer. The town is about 2 hours from NYC.

How hard would it be to see a play?

Dh is enthralled with Next to Normal. And we'll be closer than we've ever been to the city.

Of course, that would mean we'd have to leave our 5 children with relatives while we went. I can't see our 2 young boys with Asperger Syndrome on Broadway. I do have TONS of relatives and some of them have BIG families, so it *could* happen. And the children know a few of them from their visits down here.

If we've NEVER been to the city and NEVER taken a train or subway . . .

I used to look at new experiences as adventures. Now, with children, all the planning and preparation and obstacles keep us homebound lots of the time . . .

Would it be worth the trouble? I can tell what the tickets cost. But what about trains and subways? Or taxis?

Will I regret not trying to see a play while we're close to New York?

I got good discount tickets for Spamalot through Broadwayboxoffice.com, but make sure you use a dummy email to buy them as they'll send you updates/spam forever.

While a big Broadway production is fun, don't overlook the huge selection of off-Broadway productions. Some great theater, and a lot cheaper.

in October 2007 to see The Phantom of the Opera. We are from NJ so we drove to Jersey City, took the PATH into the city then walked. We spent the morning at the American Girl store where we had brunch then we walked from there to the show. I think we walked 20 blocks total there and back but there was so much to see. We had a blast. Definitely worth it.

I did think the subway system was confusing. I have been to Washington DC numerous times and find the Metro so easy to use. Not so in NYC. We had a little difficulty finding the correct station to get back to Jersey. We asked people who looked knowledgeable and eventually found our way.

Argh! If you don't, I might have to jump through the screen and pummel you! My dad went to see Les Miserables in London and missed the first scene because he was off getting a bite to eat. Can you believe that? I pummelled him too, and even he agreed that he deserved it :D

Rosie

Could you take the train into the city and then take a taxi? That wouldn't be too complicated. We'd probably drive in, but dh "grew up" driving in NYC and parking can be a bear, so the train would most likely be the simplest thing.

NYC has two hubs/ train stations: Grand Central on the East side and Penn Station on the West. Amtrak (trains) coming from CT would go into Penn Station. From there you could take a taxi. You'd be about 10-12 blocks away from the Theater District, I think.

I have no trouble taking the subway in NYC, but I used to live there and practice certainly makes it easier. For a one-time-only thing I'd skip the subway!

Enjoy the show!

We'll be visiting Connecticut later this summer. The town is about 2 hours from NYC.

Dh is enthralled with Next to Normal. And we'll be closer than we've ever been to the city.

Of course, that would mean we'd have to leave our 5 children with relatives while we went. I can't see our 2 young boys with Asperger Syndrome on Broadway. I do have TONS of relatives and some of them have BIG families, so it *could* happen. And the children know a few of them from their visits down here.

If we've NEVER been to the city and NEVER taken a train or subway . . .

I used to look at new experiences as adventures. Now, with children, all the planning and preparation and obstacles keep us homebound lots of the time . . .

Would it be worth the trouble? I can tell what the tickets cost. But what about trains and subways? Or taxis?

Will I regret not trying to see a play while we're close to New York?

Whoops. I was wrong about Penn Station! You'll be coming from CT, so you'll take the MetroNorth. Stacy in NJ knows what she's talking about. This train comes into Grand Central, not Penn Station. 42nd and Park Avenue... about 4-8 blocks to the Theater District. You could walk or take a taxi.

:)

Could you take the train into the city and then take a taxi? That wouldn't be too complicated. We'd probably drive in, but dh "grew up" driving in NYC and parking can be a bear, so the train would most likely be the simplest thing.

NYC has two hubs/ train stations: Grand Central on the East side and Penn Station on the West. Amtrak (trains) coming from CT would go into Penn Station. From there you could take a taxi. You'd be about 10-12 blocks away from the Theater District, I think.

Definitely take the train into the city - DON"T DRIVE! Driving in NYC is a nightmare of one way streets, bad signs, construction, crazy drivers and the only-in-NY pedestrian.

That said, take the train and walk from there. My dh and I go in a couple times a year, and we walk until we just can't anymore. There is so much to see, even if you aren't where the shops are. The architecture is pretty amazing. Buy a couple of good maps and go! If you get tired, you can take a pedal cab, regular cab, or the subway. The subway is a little confusing, but doable - once you find a map.

The shows are amazing. Off or on Broadway, they are very much worth seeing.

Where will you be in CT? I live there; about 2 hrs from NYC. We go into the city all the time. Sometimes we drive, but more often we drive to Fairfield, CT and take the MetroNorth train into Grand Central Station. We like Fairfield because it's about 50 minutes from GCS and the parking lot is well-lit and free on weekends. It's about $20 per adult on weekends to take the train; kids are free or nearly free.

I highly recommend going into NYC. So much to do and see, and there's nothing like walking down Broadway and seeing those marquees.

Have Fun!

Astrid

Not to hijack your thread here, but for those that enjoy going to Broadway shows, check out this site:

http://kidsnightonbroadway.com/

It's free tickets to Broadway shows for kids (buy an adult ticket, get a kid ticket free)

We took our kids to see Mary Poppins last year (which was wonderful) and it's so much more affordable w/this promotion.