Menu

Queen Homeschool site?

WOW! I love all their stuff. Has or does anyone use anything from them? I really want to order some things from them. It all looks SO GOOD!

The link is: http://www.queenhomeschool.com/ in case anyone is interested (who hasn't been over there). I'm going to have to figure out what we can afford from there (or try to find it used!).

I'm in heaven:001_smile:.

Guest sarathan

I've ordered a few things.... one of the Language Lessons books, a few of the living history readers, the Home Stories for Children book, and the Manners for Mealtime game. Everything is really nice except the history readers are over my boys' heads. I can't believe she has these listed in the pre-k and K easy packs.... these are just too hard for that age, IMO. They would make good read-alouds for probably 3rd grade and up. I feel the same way about the Home Stories book...it's just too advanced for my kids.

We have used the Language Lessons for Little Ones and Elementary , Habit Revisited, Handwriting, Copywork, Novel Studies and Learning How to Learn. We have also purchased Parables of Nature. We love everything. I recently saw the bible study booklets and they look great too. I love the artwork they use, the books are beautiful to look at.

:001_smile:

My younger one isn't temperamentally suited for the CLE that worked so well with my older one.

I bought the Language Lessons and the Pictures in Cursive and we are thrilled with them and she loves it.

I will keep her in these all the way through I think.

They are gorgeous books and worth every penny to me.

I love their materials also. I think Sandi Queen has put together very functional CM products with a bent toward simplicity. She is a very busy mom and created these products for her own family.

Some people claim they are not rigorous enough, but that is largely dependent on what your personal philosophy. Shakespeare and Jane Austen never diagrammed sentences and yet they somehow waxed elequent! Her grammar may be "light" but if you take the whole thing into account she covers many things a program like Rod and Staff or other "rigorous" programs simply do not cover. If you love the CM approach and like to use workbooks to that end you will love her things!

I think that her book choices are wonderful for living science and history. She takes a less-is-more approach and has kids really soak in a story.

We love, LOVE them here. :) Some will say they are weak on grammar, but they make up for it with great copy work and poetry, picture study, narrations, etc. If you feel the need to beef up the grammar at this young age you can add one of our favorite books, Grammar Land, which you can get free online in many places. It is a wonderful narrative story that helps kids understand the parts of speech.

All of my kids love the books and we plan on continuing through the series.

I've used their things for 2 years now. I have LL for Elementary Child vol 2, LL for Secondary Child vol 1 and 2, all the Pictures in Cursive, several readers including Log Cabin Tales, Civil War, Tirzah, one about sailing, CopyWork for Girls, and a few of their bible studies.

The LL series is excellent. It is not "rigorous" like an Abeka or BJU style. But, it is complete and their gentle approach is refreshing. I added a writing program. If you have a dc who needs more practice, you might consider adding EG or Daily Grams.

The cursive is not instructional, but it provides great practice. We found it quite valuable to focus on making the cursive neat, clean, and pretty.

The CopyWork for Girls has multiple purposes. I used it to improve dd's spelling (and it helped). It also is good for grammar, punctuation, different writing styles, intro to different authors, and handwriting practice for older dc.

The readers are "short and sweet". We especially enjoyed the Log Cabin tales while studying the Revolutionary War. One particular short story really brought Caesar Rodney to life. All the readers have been fine though

Their bible studies for elementary ages was nice. One was on the proverbs and another on virtuous character. The lesssons were short and easy. It was not heavy handed doctrinally.

But, their studies for older girls on modesty and purity were a bit heavy on their doctrine. For instance, they are opposed to girls wearing pants or swimming. I found I needed to edit quite a bit. I didnt regret using the text as a guide, but I wouldnt seek it out to purchase again.

Stay on top of their shipping. Sometimes their computer "blips" and doesnt register the order. I've had this happen only once. When I called, they upgraded my shipping at no additional cost and phoned me with tracking numbers later in the day.

HTH!!

But, their studies for older girls on modesty and purity were a bit heavy on their doctrine. For instance, they are opposed to girls wearing pants or swimming. I found I needed to edit quite a bit. I didnt regret using the text as a guide, but I wouldnt seek it out to purchase again.

HTH!!

Good to know! Thanks!

How are the Nature Studies? I'd like to try one, but I can't decide which one....

The Story Book of Science by Jean Henri Fabre

A Nature Walk With Aunt Bessie

Parables From Nature by Mrs. Gatty

or ???

We have Danil the Triceratops & Oakie the Oaktree books & workbooks. I LOVE them! You read part of the story, and then there are questions, but what I really like is, you have the child look up certain definitions and make a glossary and write it in their notebook. It also has them draw pictures to go along, etc... We have several of their other books/studies but haven't used them yet. Also, we've used several of the Lang Lessons, and really like them. Gentle, yes, but it gives a nice blend of things so they don't get bored, also we use it as a reinforcement, not just by itself.