Menu

Where to eat down town St Louis.

AWESOME Italian restaurant (DH and I had our first date there!) :D. Very yummy food and lots and lots of pictures on the walls of famous people eating there. If there is a Cardinal game in town that night, plan accordingly as lots of people go before or after the game (however, DURING the game I think you'd be ok).

The Old Spaghetti Factory is fun, too. You can sit in a trolley or several other neat tables that are fun for the kiddos. http://www.osf.com/

Yes, I think you are ok to walk around on a Friday night, just use common sense and the buddy system. There are several horse-drawn-carriages that will take you around at night, also. Very cool!

If you are looking for family-friendly LUNCH, check this out: http://www.gatewayarch.com/Arch/info/act.riverboat.ss.1hr.aspx I bet you could even log some history hours! ;)

And, for over-21 fun, please visit us at the Jive & Wail. www.jiveandwail.com (shameless self-promotion! :thumbup1:)

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

Edited by Melissa in St Louis
Forgot somethin'

AWESOME Italian restaurant (DH and I had our first date there!) :D. Very yummy food and lots and lots of pictures on the walls of famous people eating there. If there is a Cardinal game in town that night, plan accordingly as lots of people go before or after the game (however, DURING the game I think you'd be ok).

The Old Spaghetti Factory is fun, too. You can sit in a trolley or several other neat tables that are fun for the kiddos. http://www.osf.com/

Yes, I think you are ok to walk around on a Friday night, just use common sense and the buddy system. There are several horse-drawn-carriages that will take you around at night, also. Very cool!

If you are looking for family-friendly LUNCH, check this out: http://www.gatewayarch.com/Arch/info/act.riverboat.ss.1hr.aspx I bet you could even log some history hours! ;)

And, for over-21 fun, please visit us at the Jive & Wail. www.jiveandwail.com (shameless self-promotion! :thumbup1:)

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

If it was not the first part of our trip and dh and I did not have the children with us I'd love to go to Jive and Wail. Looks like a really great place to go. thanks for the tip on checking for home games tomorrow night.

We loved that pizza place that has been their forever but I forget the name. The pizza used to be served as squares but isn't any more... I know our hotel by the arch gave us free pizza coupons from it each night.

if you have time, make sure you go to the City Museum. My kids had a blast. We also loved Union Station, but there aren't many shops or food places their beyond Landrys and Hard Rock. The train lovers in the family liked it for other reasons.

Definitely The Old Spaghetti Factory! Breakfast at the Marriott. If you enjoy Asian food, then shoot for The King and I on South Grand. And don't forget to go see the Fudge show at Union Station :D

Is the fudge place still there? The show they do is a riot! We were just reminiscing about it the other day!

Chelle

We loved that pizza place that has been their forever but I forget the name. The pizza used to be served as squares but isn't any more... I know our hotel by the arch gave us free pizza coupons from it each night.

if you have time, make sure you go to the City Museum. My kids had a blast. We also loved Union Station, but there aren't many shops or food places their beyond Landrys and Hard Rock. The train lovers in the family liked it for other reasons.

Is Imo's the pizza place you're remembering? It's one of those you-either-love-it-or-you-hate-it things in my family!

I'll second the City Museum recommendation. It's a blast!

Chelle

Definitely The Old Spaghetti Factory! Breakfast at the Marriott. If you enjoy Asian food, then shoot for The King and I on South Grand. And don't forget to go see the Fudge show at Union Station :D

If you're going down South Grand there are lots of awesome ethnic choices: King and I for Thai, Pho Grand for Vietnamese, Mekong also has good Vietnamese, Mangia Italiano makes awesome homemade pastas...

If you can get over to Delmar on the Central West End, you could check out Fitz's. They brew their own root beer there, so it's fun to go for a root beer float and watch the assembly line. (the regular food is kinda "meh.") There's also an Ethiopian place whose name completely escapes me at the moment, but that I know that I've enjoyed.

Don't forget to have toasted ravioli! (a local delicacy)

(i'm a st. louis native who doesn't get downtown nearly enough anymore...)

Unless they've changed something in the last couple of months, Imo's is still serving their pizza in squares.

I *love* Imo's pizza. But Ted Drewes? Meh. Tastes like a DQ Blizzard to me.

I think it's more the atmosphere at Ted Drewes...small business, hometown name, EVERYONE congregates there and you never know who you run into type of thing ;)

:lol::lol:

Can't account for tastes. I hate Imo's. Wouldn't eat it if you paid me. But I grew up getting Ted Drewes about once a year and it was to die for!

Of course I can't compare it to DQ since I've only been there once in the last 10 years. We don't do fast food. Now that I live in Springfield its Andes that has the best ice cream and I almost never go there either. We are sooo boring!

I'd have to second the Old Spaghetti Factory. We ate there while visiting the arch two years ago and it was WONDERFUL! WAAAY kid friendly and FUN! Great food, cheap, what more could you want? :001_smile:

Have a great trip!

astrid

Can't account for tastes. I hate Imo's. Wouldn't eat it if you paid me. But I grew up getting Ted Drewes about once a year and it was to die for!

Of course I can't compare it to DQ since I've only been there once in the last 10 years. We don't do fast food. Now that I live in Springfield its Andes that has the best ice cream and I almost never go there either. We are sooo boring!

I'll second that--I can't eat Imo's and love Ted Drewes!

Can't wait for Lynn to tell us about her trip!

Chelle

I didn't start this thread but thanks for the recommendations. We will be in St.Louis in a few weeks for my daughter's doctor's appointment at Shriner's and we can always use a few recommends.

BTW-in past trips, my husband liked the Imo's pizza but my daughters and I thought it was disgusting. It is definitely a love it or hate is kind of thing.

I'm with you there! My husband loved IMO's...I though it was the worst, greasiest pizza ever! But Ted Drewes...yum!

I'm with you there! My husband loved IMO's...I though it was the worst, greasiest pizza ever! But Ted Drewes...yum!

For me, I think it's having to scrape the provel cheese off the roof of my mouth that makes me not like it!! Blech. My dh and oldest son love it. Go figure.

Chelle

I didn't start this thread but thanks for the recommendations. We will be in St.Louis in a few weeks for my daughter's doctor's appointment at Shriner's and we can always use a few recommends.

BTW-in past trips, my husband liked the Imo's pizza but my daughters and I thought it was disgusting. It is definitely a love it or hate is kind of thing.

I hope your daughter is o.k. and that you have a great time in St. Louis!

Chelle

lunch at Adriana's (Mama Adriana usually takes your order ;^) and stop for a visit to Viviano's Italian grocery. We get bread, cheese and olives for a lunch at the Botanical garden or for the long drive home- it really beats fast food.

And yes, don't miss the City Museum!

(And if you can make it to Forest Park, there's the awesome Zoo Science Center, Art Museum and Planetarium too.)

Can you tell we love St Louis? :D

I hope your daughter is o.k. and that you have a great time in St. Louis!

Chelle

Thanks. She was born with a clubfoot and possibly has some hip issues. The Shriner's hospital in St. Louis has one of the best clubfoot doctors in the US, so we are fortunate to have him as Boo-Boo's orthopedic doctor. We come to St. Louis now at least twice yearly so we file away all of the recommendations.

Thanks. She was born with a clubfoot and possibly has some hip issues. The Shriner's hospital in St. Louis has one of the best clubfoot doctors in the US, so we are fortunate to have him as Boo-Boo's orthopedic doctor. We come to St. Louis now at least twice yearly so we file away all of the recommendations.

I'm so glad you found a great dr. for her! IMO, that is a big part of the battle with any health issues.

Chelle