Menu

I have made a HUGE mistake

ChristyH

I can't believe I left something that works for us to use something that doesn't work for us. What was I thinking? The minute my DH said I might want to return to MFW, I knew he was right. My anxiety left. The Lord had even showed me what I was suppose to use and I, like the Old Testament Israelites, thought I knew better. I can't return what I bought because I pieced it together. Has anyone else ever done this? Does anyone want books from Living Books curriculum for grades 3 and 6?

I feel so terrible about this! Just slap me! :eek: :blushing:

You shouldn't feel terrible. Even with any curriculum, book, etc. you use, it might work great until it just... doesn't.

Don't sweat it, or feel guilty! It is only curriculum! You can sell it, or donate it to someone else... or keep it in case you and your kids change your minds again. Or... use both!!!

Books don't expire.

At least, a lot of them.:001_smile:

Here is the the ugly truth about I thought I knew better then the Lord. In Feb. I had posted on a different board that I wasn't sure we could afford next year's curriculum, because my Dh was having back issues and his company was laying off. (He wasn't laid off) Well I thought I had better start planning for the next year. After using MFW for two years I was used to having it planned for me. I posted my difficulty in planning and fear of it on another board. A very kind soul PM'd me privately and offered me MFW RTR. Totally out of the blue. If that isn't the Lord's provision I don't know what is. It so encouraged my DH and I.

Anyway, for some reason I thought something else would be better two months later and gave most of it away. My Dh then gently reminded me about what was important and then it hit me like a ton of bricks what I had done. Just like David and Bathsheba and when Nathan come to show him what he did wrong. Just like the Israelites of the Old Testament who saw God at work in so many tangible ways so many times and still thought they knew better. I feel so totally humbled and shame faced, but at peace at the same time. :blushing:

That is my confession..

I did the same thing last year. We did SOTW 1 because I thought MFW ECC wouldn't be academic enough for us (can you hear the snooty in my tone?). Well, this fall we'll be doing ECC. I loved SOTW, and we'll add that to RtoR and then it's in the other MFW cores, but I just missed the organization and convenience of MFW.

I thought the same thing when I came to MFW from AO. But I did for my children because AO was killing their love of learning. ECC was the best school year we have ever had. AO made me really look down on any sort of package curriculum. My ego was terrible. The Lord just loves to slap me upside the head.

CTG was a bit boring to "me" but we finished and then I thought I would do LBC for next year and as I was writing out the schedule, I was totally spooked by the schedule and how much it was like AO. So for a few days I didn't think about it and then DH just said I think you should return MFW and it was a ton of bricks hitting me. Did I mention that my DD said she wanted to return to MFW and she doesn't like curriculum hopping? That was painful to hear.

Ah, how many times have I done the same thing? Too many to count! Don't worry. You have learned a good lesson, and if it only takes you this once to learn it then you are miles ahead of me, LOL! Just sell off the stuff you bought, use it to buy MFW, and you'll be all set! I'll keep an eye out for a used RTR set for ya!

Don't beat yourself up over it. Sell what won't fit with the book basket for MFW and purchase the MFW materials.

I've done the same thing. My kids really liked SL/WP --but I thought MFW would be better. DH wasn't so sure, but said to try it. We had a good year with MFW ECC and WP combo. The one time my dh took an interest in curriculum was when I was planning for the next year. I wanted to use CTG ---dh said he didn't think the rest of MFW was for us, but to do what I thought best. So I not only bought CTG but also RTR ---it was a bust for us ---my kids weren't happy, I was spending all the time going to the library to get materials, etc. I spent 4 months agonizing and trying to make it work. I finally went to dh and told him I'd made a mistake ---he was great, he just said sell what you can and we'll buy the other. I did and the rest of the year was great.

Here is the the ugly truth about I thought I knew better then the Lord. In Feb. I had posted on a different board that I wasn't sure we could afford next year's curriculum, because my Dh was having back issues and his company was laying off. (He wasn't laid off) Well I thought I had better start planning for the next year. After using MFW for two years I was used to having it planned for me. I posted my difficulty in planning and fear of it on another board. A very kind soul PM'd me privately and offered me MFW RTR. Totally out of the blue. If that isn't the Lord's provision I don't know what is. It so encouraged my DH and I.

That is my confession..

:grouphug: Thank you for sharing, ChristyH. At least it's not a big mistake in the grand scheme of things ;)

Wow, AO killed the love of learning for your dc? All those hard books probably, eh? I had just never read this hear. AO people are big fans.

Well, don't feel bad. I spent 7 years trying to put it all together and finally came to mfw 2 years ago. Having breathed a sigh of relief and felt the joy and the Lord in our schooling, I definitely know I'll never go back. MFW is definitely a thing God directed us to. There is no doubt.

That is my confession..

Heb 4:14-16

Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-- yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

(((Hugs))) Merry :-)

Anyway, for some reason I thought something else would be better two months later and gave most of it away. My Dh then gently reminded me about what was important and then it hit me like a ton of bricks what I had done. Just like David and Bathsheba and when Nathan come to show him what he did wrong. Just like the Israelites of the Old Testament who saw God at work in so many tangible ways so many times and still thought they knew better. I feel so totally humbled and shame faced, but at peace at the same time. :blushing:

That is my confession..

Thanks for sharing...I am going to try to learn from you! I definitely have a "maybe something different will be better" personality and often think I know more than the Lord does. Thanks for this reminder that I don't and different isn't always better :001_smile:.

At least it was a gentle lesson in the grand scheme of things.

No problem. You'll be alright :)

I was just wondering: how did the Lord show you which curriculum to use? Just curious. I'm trying to listen better these days. Thanks.

Me too! I research curriculum and pray that the Lord shows me which one to use...there are times when I am not sure and just purchase something b/c I have to make a decision.....learning to be still until I hear from him, in this area as well as others.

ugh. this thread isn't helping me any. i've pulled away from mfw this year. why? who knows...

This has happened to me before. I'll decide to make a switch or choose a certain curriculum then later on down the line I ask "Now why did I decide to do this?" I keep saying I am going to start writing my reasoning down, so that I can go back to it."

:grouphug: Thank you for sharing, ChristyH. At least it's not a big mistake in the grand scheme of things ;)

Wow, AO killed the love of learning for your dc? All those hard books probably, eh? I had just never read this hear. AO people are big fans.

Alpha Omega or Ambleside Online?

I did the same thing, and was so upset that my dh told me to just get MFW and see if I could work the other into it. Thankfully, we are just in 1st and K, so it hasn't been hard to blend what I got originally with the MFW curriculum.

I am having a hard time with wanting to follow the history time frame from WTM, though. MFW doesn't exactly follow it. I like the idea of going through the 4 time periods 3 times, and not doing US history until it "fits" in with the rest of the timeline. I have been thinking of skipping around in MFW to make it fit. Has anyone else done this?

I am having a hard time with wanting to follow the history time frame from WTM, though. MFW doesn't exactly follow it. I like the idea of going through the 4 time periods 3 times, and not doing US history until it "fits" in with the rest of the timeline. I have been thinking of skipping around in MFW to make it fit. Has anyone else done this?

A similar question has been asked, but it's not advised to try to bring CTG down to a 1st grader's level because of the amount of work involved. I suppose you could do it if you wanted, but you'd have to skip a LOT of CTG to adapt it for a 1st grader. That's why they say to use CTG with the *oldest* child being 4th grade or above... then you can use the whole thing with that child as written, allowing any younger children to just "tag along" doing the fun, age appropriate stuff in the program... and that's what you'd be doing by using CTG with an oldest child being 1st grade. Just the fun stuff. If you're okay with that, you could make it work.

Know that you do get a "version" of chronological history in the K-2nd grades as MFW has it planned. It's just different, and has more of a biblical focus than secular history. In K you study Creation and our beginnings. In 1st grade you get a whole overview of the Bible (at an age appropriate level). In 2nd grade you get an overview of American, and then follow up with world geography and cultures before delving deeper into history at the logic stage.

And remember that no matter which method you go with -- MFW, WTM, or someone else -- unless you separate each child so that each child can follow the cycle "perfectly", only the oldest child is going to get the entire cycle in order all the way through. (And you can actually make that happen since you're still at the beginning! We came into it later.) It's possible that a younger child could happen to fall into the cycle perfectly, depending on everyone's ages... my youngest will. But for you, that would be a ways down the road IF you have more children.

P.S. Michele, here's an article that gives a pretty good argument for introducing American history before the chronological cycle:

http://www.bfbooks.com/s.nl/it.I/id.2/.f

It's really not so bad. We started with Adventures and it was FUN. I'm glad we did it. I like having the children knowing about our presidents and the 50 states (esp since we travel a lot), patriotic songs and symbols, etc. Plus the Bible in Adventures -- getting to know Jesus through His many different names and characteristics -- was not to be missed. You have to remember that with MFW, it's about more than just "history". You're teaching to the heart, too. ;) I wouldn't want to separate history and Bible because you're teaching a worldview... not just academics.

Thank you, Donna! As we have been going through this year, I have begun to lean more and more towards following MFW completely. I have loved it since we started last year with K, and I don't really know why I have strayed away from it this year. Oh well. Live and learn, I guess!

Thanks again for your insight and encouragement!

Thank you, Donna! As we have been going through this year, I have begun to lean more and more towards following MFW completely. I have loved it since we started last year with K, and I don't really know why I have strayed away from it this year. Oh well. Live and learn, I guess!

Thanks again for your insight and encouragement!

You know, there are many wonderful things on the market for us to choose from. I struggle with it, too. But I always come back to MFW because it really does meet the overall needs of our family the best. You have to figure out what aspects of curriculum and methods are the greatest priority for your family, and stick close to those things like glue. Everything else can be adjusted as needed, by the child and by the year. I see MFW being compared to other curriculums most often for just one or two components of it, but I think you have to look at it as a "whole". Otherwise, it's easy to be tempted to switch by one aspect of this package, or one aspect of that method.... and often. (Especially when you hang out on great message boards like this one! ;) )

There are things I like about textbooks.

There are things I like about online free curriculums.

There are things I like about WTM.

There are things I like about LCC.

And so on. But what is the best fit overall both for me as a teacher, and for my kids? What is the main thing I want my children to get out of homeschooling? What observations has my dh made about me and the children and the way things go in our homeschool? And most importantly, have I PRAYED about it? What has God shown me? If I'm tempted to switch curriculums -- especially if it's happening frequently -- I have to wonder if the problem is really the curriculum, or is it just ME? Am I a discontent person? Undisciplined? Unwilling to work hard over the long haul? Am I not learning how to tweak one aspect of our curriculum or method for the learning needs of one particular child, or does it seem easier to just ditch the whole thing and start over? How many times can I realistically "start over" in a lifetime and still get good results? Am I easily swayed by other people's excitement over something different?

All things to consider.... and I've been guilty of them all at some point or another. :001_rolleyes: It's very easy to second guess my own decisions, even decisions made after much prayer and discussion with dh, but Scripture says that a doubleminded man is unstable in all his ways. This will bear itself out in my children if I'm not careful.