Menu

AAS users-do you HAVE to use a 2x3 magnetic board?

home4school

If not, how do you do it? I'm thinking of getting this to use with 2 children. I have nowhere to keep (2) 2x3 magnetic boards. Sounds like having the magnetic tiles on the board all the time beats laying them out everday though. Solutions or suggestions?

Thanks!

Kim

I bought an inexpensive set of (3) baking trays that nest in to one another. They allow each student (2) to have his or her own magnetic tray, as well as a third tray to store the tiles on in between our lessons. The trays easily fit underneath our bookshelf, or stacked horizontally on top of books on the bookshelf.

My son likes the magnetic tray, and prefers to use it.

My daughter prefers to have the tiles on the tabletop, and slide them into place.

Either way, our "magnetic tray" makes it much easier to do our lessons; the letters are all in place, and set to go.

ETA: I like the fridge idea!

I love my magnetic white boards, I have several sizes.

They can be stored: in the tiny space between the fridge and the wall, in a coat closet behind the coats, under your bed or under a child's bed, under a clothes dresser if they are built with a small space under it. You could also hang it in the laundry room or garage on the wall when not using it.

Edit: I don't actually use AAS, but do use white boards!

Great ideas, ladies! I would never have thought of the fridge!

Love the idea of the baking sheets. Them being smaller than 2x3 doesn't hurt? Why the 2x3 size is recommended by AAS?

I could see using a white board that's smaller that I could stick somewhere, but 2x3 is pretty darn big. It would be hard to find a convenient spot for putting it up and taking it out every day.

Thanks!

Kim

Before I got my 2x3 board, I planned on using a smaller board that I already had. After I got all the tiles out, I found that even just having the alphabet letters on the small one wouldn't work. They went across the top and down one side! I did go ahead and get the 2x3 board, and it has worked out much better. I can lay it on the table, and have two dc on either side.

I love the fridge idea, too. I never thought of that, even though I have the Leapfrog letters on it! lol!

I have only just received AAS and have not yet implemented it. However, my plan is to use magetic paint on one wall. We have a very large white board on the opposite wall but it isnt' magnetic. I love it and use it a lot and am not willing to go to the cost of replacing it. We have another white board that is a bit larger than 2x3, also not magnetic, and a couple for "slates" that are, you guessed it, not magnetic. All those whiteboards and not a single magnetic one. So, I plan to get the magnetic pain to do the one wall opposite the big white board. I haven't looked yet but it would be great if I could find magnetic whiteboard paint.

Great ideas, ladies! I would never have thought of the fridge!

Love the idea of the baking sheets. Them being smaller than 2x3 doesn't hurt? Why the 2x3 size is recommended by AAS?

I could see using a white board that's smaller that I could stick somewhere, but 2x3 is pretty darn big. It would be hard to find a convenient spot for putting it up and taking it out every day.

Thanks!

Kim

The 2X3 size allows you to set up all the tiles and still have room to work on the same board. Without it, you either need 2 boards (one to store & one to work on) or to use a table top to work on, etc...

The tiles have 2 sets of alphabet letters that go all the way across the 3' board with just a couple of inches to spare on each end. Then there are Vowel & Consonant teams, suffixes (and prefixes, we haven't gotten to those yet), sounds for /er/, other tiles, syllable tags--by the time you get to the upper levels you really do have a lot of tiles on the board.

We store our board between the couch and the wall when we're not using it. I don't have a place to hang it! I think it would also slide easily under the couch.

Unless you are going to teach both kids at the same time (like a class), you could have just one set of tiles & one board.

Have fun! Merry :-)

I find the gigantic white board essential!

It holds all of the tiles and gives dd room to write her dictation sentences in the middle. I store ours behind the entertainment center. Having it all set up means that we can start our lesson immediately. We spread out a blanket on the carpet, pull out the board, and are ready to go! The program itself is completely "open and go".

Dd can easily alphabetize, but I can't even imagine how much time it would take her to set up the tiles each time.:glare: Actually, I can imagine it, which is why we don't do it that way! :lol:

We bought our board at Costco. It has a dotted grid which helps keep her sentences straight. It is also convenient for playing boxes, which is the reward for 10 correct dictation sentences. :D

The cheapest way to get a white board is to buy shower enclosure material at the hardware store according to IEW. LOL

We got a set at Costco last yr- white boards, eraser, markers and magnets and it was 20-25ish.

The kids draw on it, we use it for math, writing (IEW) spelling and more.

If I am using AAS with 2 children who will be at different levels, do I need two different 2X3 magnetic boards? Or will it be a pain to set the boards up for two different kids every day? We are only on Step 1 of Level 1, so we haven't really started using the tiles yet, so I don't know yet how it will go. I only have one magnetic board right now.

PS. I bought my board at Target for around $15, I think. I would definitely look around before ordering from RR. :)

Jacquelyn

If I am using AAS with 2 children who will be at different levels, do I need two different 2X3 magnetic boards? Or will it be a pain to set the boards up for two different kids every day? We are only on Step 1 of Level 1, so we haven't really started using the tiles yet, so I don't know yet how it will go. I only have one magnetic board right now.

PS. I bought my board at Target for around $15, I think. I would definitely look around before ordering from RR. :)

Jacquelyn

I don't use two boards, and while it's recommended, I don't set up my board differently for my two (they are about 15 lessons apart). I just leave the extra phonograms only my oldest uses but in a separate row from the ones both kids are using. Seems to work for us!

Merry :-)

The board is big but I store it in the space between our school table and the bookshelf next to it, so it works out. If I didn't have the board, I probably would go completely crazy using AAS. I do wish the board was smaller, though.

My kids love playing with our white board.

One thing Im thinking of doing is hanging it in the dining room and getting a nice art poster and when we arent doing school I could cover the white board with the artwork.

Brilliant! Hm.... wonder if that would work anywhere for us!

Merry :-)

If you got the one from Sam's with the bulletin board on the other side you could tack the artwork to that side and then flip the board over when you need the white board.

My kids love playing with our white board.

One thing Im thinking of doing is hanging it in the dining room and getting a nice art poster and when we arent doing school I could cover the white board with the artwork.