Menu

swim team moms, what's your system?

We have begun a the marathon schedule of swim team / swim lessons. We're all enjoying it, but I don't yet have a system for all the towels, goggles, suits, shampoo, etc. I didn't grow up swimming, so I don't know the ins and outs of all the swim STUFF.

My questions:

What is in your child's swim bag?

How often do you wash their suits and towels?

Is the chlorine shampoo worth the money?

Do your kids change back into street clothes or just come home wet in the car?

Do your kids just rinse off, or do they take a real shower with soap and shampoo after workouts?

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time? (Mine love those hot showers, and I can't go in to holler at them to get out!)

I realize I must sound like a doof with these questions, but I'd love to hear what you experienced swim-moms do.

Thanks!!

suit, towel, goggles, fins, toiletry kid (including shampoo, soap, comb/brush, lotion, chapstick), pool shoes, bottle of water and usually a snack for after practice

They rinse after every swim and hang at home to dry along with their towel. I wash once per week. They have two suits and two towels and alternate so they always have a dry one.

Don't know. We don't use it and haven't had a problem. We do use really good lotion.

They shower, dry off, and change to street clothes before they come home. My kids are old enough to drop off so I pick them up late enough that I've given them time to shower.

Do your kids just rinse off, or do they take a real shower with soap and shampoo after workouts?

Real shower.

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time? (Mine love those hot showers, and I can't go in to holler at them to get out!)

Don't care how long he takes- I pick them up about a half hour after the practice is over.

My questions:

Two suits, two pairs of goggles, swim cap, kickboard, towel

His suit gets rinsed out in the shower after practice, and washed once a week.

Not for us. I wash his hair every couple of weeks with baking soda mixed in with the shampoo. He has brown hair, so we haven't had to worry about it turning green.

Shower and change...one less thing to do when he gets home. Some of the younger kids on the team wear their pjs home after evening practice. :001_smile:

If he takes too long I take away his locker room priveledges and make him use the family dressing room. Now that he's moved up to the more mature 9/10 age group, it's no longer a problem like it was when he was practicing with the 8 and unders.

I realize I must sound like a doof with these questions, but I'd love to hear what you experienced swim-moms do.

Not at all! I asked all these same questions last fall when I was a new swim team mom.

Thanks!!

A great tip I got from this board is make your kids responsible for their own bag. One practice sitting on the deck because they forgot to pack their suits is usually enough to teach them to keep up with their stuff. Oh, and label *everything*

Towels, caps (2), goggles (2 pairs), brush, shampoo/conditioner, soap, fins, snorkel, clothes, snack, water bottle, sharpies and highlighters

We love the mesh Nike backpacks. The Nike outlet sells them for $15 a few times a year. I think we have 10 or so. They are awesome!

suits are rinsed after each use and towels are only used once. We have enough swim towels for each of my swimmers to use two everyday for a week before I have to wash them. JIC they do hang them dry in the bathroom before putting them into the hamper.

Yes for my Blondies, no for the darker haired ones

Street clothes

Real showers

I have been known to scream into the boys room and send in bigger boys to fetch them out. I usually give them a good amount of time (30+minutes) after practice before I pick them up, though.

What is in your child's swim bag? For my teen son, I don't even want to know, LOL! And sometimes there are crushed power bars in there all melted in with the chlorine and smushed underneath other stuff ----ooooohhhhh, yuck! I don't look....

How often do you wash their suits and towels? Mostly after each use because they swim so much that if I don't, the chlorine build up becomes completely unmanageable.

Is the chlorine shampoo worth the money? I thought so when my older son wouldn't wear swim caps at first for several years. I don't know what he would have done without it; they have crunchy hair as it is. Now that he always wears a cap it's much, much better all round. He does still use the swimmer's shampoo. I get it (also conditioner) at Sally's Hair Supply.

Do your kids change back into street clothes or just come home wet in the car? That depends. If they're walking across the street from our neighborhood pool they usually just come home. If they're coming from a local practice or meet, they often throw on shorts of sweats over their wet suits and just come home. If we're far away, they generally shower and change. They do still shower again after they get home.

Do your kids just rinse off, or do they take a real shower with soap and shampoo after workouts? They often just rinse off, if that. It really depends on the facility and how clean it is. There are some shower rooms they don't want to enter and others that are fine. You can keep small bottles of soap/shampoo in their bags for just in case, transferring to those from the larger bottles you keep at home.

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time? (Mine love those hot showers, and I can't go in to holler at them to get out!) Ummmm, we were just suggesting last weekend that they install intercoms at the doorways. Other than that, I'm not sure. Mine is always last out....

The swimsuit, a towel, goggles, swim cap, shampoo, conditioner, lotion, body wash, hairbrush, and a combination lock.

Mine washes hers after every practice, but we never dry it in the dryer. She has a suit for each practice right now.

Well, I have a girl with long hair, so for us, YES. And a good leave-in conditioner as well.

For the summer, I would be fine with either, but during the year, she changes into clothes.

Real shower and hair wash.

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time?

Three girls! Sorry!

This was our first year, and we have only done Spring training, but it has been great. I bought her towels just for swimming, and she is in charge of washing her own swim stuff and repacking her own bag. I am just the transportation, which is nice for me having her become more independent. Good luck!

Edited by Asenik

The swimsuit, a towel, goggles, a drag suit, flippers and snorkles.

Towels are after every practice (I picked up huge beach towels at Walgreens 3 for 10 dollars). The suit is suppose to be rinsed but it doesn't happen. He swims 2 1/2 hours every day 6 days a week. When the seams start to wear the drag suit hides it.

I have a boy so I am going to say no.

It depends on where we are going and how much time we have. He usually pulls on a pair of shorts. As he has gotten older he doesn't like to be wet so...

I wish he took showers but I am not sure if he even rinses off. Again he is a 13 yr old boy

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time?

Good luck! I still don't know what is going on in there. I have had Dad go in once or twice. You could have them set a kitchen timer to let them know time is running out. I don't do it but it may work with your guys.

I know a year round team gets old very quick but it is so worth it. Good luck!

This is our first year too. I have a (barely) 8 year old daughter who just joined a year-round team.

Can I add two questions to the list?

Do you buy the tiny super absorbant swim towels or go with regular?

How do you know when your child is ready for meets? (they are optional on her team, it's been suggested she try at least one. she wants to do it but I'm not sure if she's ready).

Do you buy the tiny super absorbent swim towels or go with regular?

My kids each have a couple of the shammy ones but they usually choose to bring the regular towels instead. I don't know why.

How do you know when your child is ready for meets? (they are optional on her team, it's been suggested she try at least one. she wants to do it but I'm not sure if she's ready).

What does the coach say? I'd give her a month or two. Have you guys gone to a meet? I know they can be intimidating. I remember my son's first meet. He was so scared. Those big mean white shirt people (officials) immediately DQ'd him. We were both devastated. 6 years later, I am the one wearing the white shirt and clipboard and he's qualified for state in the breast each year since. :)

What is in your child's swim bag? Winter: 2 pair of goggles, towel, fins, snorkel, change of clothes, shampoo/conditioner, chocolate milk

Summer: I make them run to practice so they only take one pair of goggles and a shammy.

How often do you wash their suits and towels? Never wash suits - just rinse, towels every few days

Is the chlorine shampoo worth the money? for a long-haired girl - yes, for boys you just get the "crunchiness" cut out

Do your kids change back into street clothes or just come home wet in the car? shower and change - crocs are must to speed up the process!

Do your kids just rinse off, or do they take a real shower with soap and shampoo after workouts? always shower in winter. In summer, if we are going back to the pool later - no. They would just shower at the end of the day.

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time? (Mine love those hot showers, and I can't go in to holler at them to get out!) Send the coach in after them. Make them walk home! ( We live close, so I can do this!) Give them a time limit and then a consequence

We have begun a the marathon schedule of swim team / swim lessons. We're all enjoying it, but I don't yet have a system for all the towels, goggles, suits, shampoo, etc. I didn't grow up swimming, so I don't know the ins and outs of all the swim STUFF.

My questions:

What is in your child's swim bag? In backpack: towel, suit, extra suit, 2 pair goggles, umpteen hundred swim caps, hairbrush, ponytail holders, shampoo, lotion, waterbottle. Deck bag: fins, kickboard, paddles, snorkel

How often do you wash their suits and towels?Suits: NEVER, it will ruin them too quickly. Towels: when they start to smell. Suit and towel are hung up in their bedrooms as soon as they come home.

Is the chlorine shampoo worth the money?No

Do your kids change back into street clothes or just come home wet in the car?Change, but we have an hours drive. When they were little and at the pool 5 minutes from the house, they went home wet.

Do your kids just rinse off, or do they take a real shower with soap and shampoo after workouts? Both. Most nights, they shampoo.

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time? (Mine love those hot showers, and I can't go in to holler at them to get out!)If he doesn't come out, he isn't allowed to shower the next night. He has to use the bathroom facilities instead of the locker room to change.

Thanks!!

Also, from the time they were 6 mine have been responsible for having/taking their own things. That way, they can't get mad at me when theya re missing something.

This is our first year too. I have a (barely) 8 year old daughter who just joined a year-round team.

Can I add two questions to the list?

Do you buy the tiny super absorbant swim towels or go with regular?regular

If it has been suggested, it is time. All she has to be able to do is swim the length of the pool without stopping. Just realize that she might be disqualified. It really doesn't matter. Everyone is disqualified at some point! She will still be dqed when she is an expert swimmer occassionally. it just happens. It is a chance to learn. The meets are fun for the kids. It makes them excited and gives them a reason to practice hard.

Swim and dive girl- change of clothes, sneakers and socks if she is wearing flip flops, Epi-pen, inhaler, swim cap, towel, nose clip, goggles, shampoo, conditioner, brush, scrunchy, military ID, water bottle

Dive girl- towel, nose clip, goggles, scrunchy, wallet, headache medicine, water bottle

How often do you wash their suits and towels? They are in charge of their towels and suits, they have a few suits each

Is the chlorine shampoo worth the money? I don't know what this is, they use good quality shampoos and conditioners

Do your kids change back into street clothes or just come home wet in the car? They walk home in their suits. They live five houses down from the pool they practice in. When they will go to away meets, they will change.

Do your kids just rinse off, or do they take a real shower with soap and shampoo after workouts? Both girls wash their hair after each meet. Swim and dive girl does it at the pool with her suit on, dive girl comes home and showers in her bathroom.

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time? (Mine love those hot showers, and I can't go in to holler at them to get out!) I have to yell at all of my kids about not taking too long. They all have that tendency regardless of whether they are swimming or not.

I assume 2-3 caps, 2-3 pair goggles, hair stuff, 1 extra suit, 2 towels, snacks, fins, snorkel, etc. I stop packing swim bags after they age up to 9-10's.

We never wash suits in the machine. They shower w/them on and then rinse again when we get home. We also never practice in anything but poly. Towels get done every other day.

Mine are no-poo brunettes, but it works for the blonde kids that get green hair, lol.

Do your kids change back into street clothes or just come home wet in the car? Do your kids just rinse off, or do they take a real shower with soap and shampoo after workouts?

Mine always shower and change. Hey, it's free hot water and chlorine is icky. Their hair is in bad enough shape in the summer and must be conditioned after every swim, even though they do wear caps.

For my slow as molasses middle child I have used a timer that she brought in with her and/or incentives. Also know that chances are that they CAN hear you yelling in the doorway. lol.

hth,

Georgia

Edited by Georgia in NC

Welcome to the wild and wet world of competitive swimming! It's a blast. Or, I've been doing this so long I don't know what the rest of the world looks like.:D

What is in you child's swim bag? I'm with Regena. I don't want to know what is in my teens' bags. Unless the smell is overwhelming the laundry room, I don't look. The youngest and most serious has 2 suits, drag suit, team sweatshirt, towel (he has small diver towel he never uses either), water bottle, 2 pr. goggles, Crocs, inhaler, snack, and Sharpie. We gave up on the shampoo. Mesh bag holds fins, snorkel, paddles, and kickboard.

How often do you wash their suits and towels. Suits get rinsed at the pool (ideally) and washed once a week in a bucket in laundry room sink with a suit wash. Towels get washed when I do a load of towels, at least once a week. We have a couple of towel bars on the laundry room wall. When kids get home from swimming, towels, suits, and goggles get draped over the bar to dry. A dry suit, towel and goggles get put back in the bag. So they're just rotating gear and they are all packed for the next day as soon as they have unpacked from the current day.

Is the chlorine shampoo worth the money? Our experience was that it dried the hair out worse. The older kids handle their hair just fine with regular products. Of course, my daugter wears a cap. The youngest still won't wear a cap, so he has very short hair that stands up straight and can be sculpted into odd shapes by the end of the season.

Do your kids change back into street clothes or just come home wet in the car? Street clothes. Swimmers don't like to be wet outside the pool:D

Do your kids just rinse off, or do they take a real shower with soap and shampoo after workouts? Well, I'm fairly sure the younger one just takes a nice long, hot shower, no soap. We make him shower at home most evenings. When the dc were younger, shampoo became a great way to make bubbles in the shower.

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time? You take cookies to the life guards on a regular basis. Then a male staff member is most happy to go get your child for you.:glare: Actually, after you've done it awhile, you will just show up x minutes after practice, slow down just enough for them to jump in the car and be gone.

No way do you sound like a doof. It takes a while to get a system down. I agree that making your children responsible for their own gear is the best thing you can do. Label as much of your gear as you can. Things will get lost. Have back up goggles and suits.

I watched all of my oldest's practices. I checked her gear because, well it's expensive. I went back for forgotten gear. No way for the third one. He's 11. He's been packing his own gear since he was 8. He's paid to replace lost goggles-only once! I never go back and he seldom forgets. At a meet, he's completely in charge of himself as my dh and I are officials. Swimming is great not only for the body, but for organizational skills and building independence.

I had no idea there were this many swim moms here. Whoo-hoo!

Best wishes to you and your family in this adventure.

I think a huge part of the experience is getting DQ'd. As an official it is awfully hard to DQ a little one who struggled to make it to the end however I know I am doing them a disservice if I don't. I look at like this. I would not let my son get away with answering the math problem wrong.

Do you buy the tiny super absorbent swim towels or go with regular?

My kids each have a couple of the shammy ones but they usually choose to bring the regular towels instead. I don't know why.

What does the coach say? I'd give her a month or two. Have you guys gone to a meet? I know they can be intimidating. I remember my son's first meet. He was so scared. Those big mean white shirt people (officials) immediately DQ'd him. We were both devastated. 6 years later, I am the one wearing the white shirt and clipboard and he's qualified for state in the breast each year since. :)

The coach would like her to try it and thinks she'll be ready by July. She's a fast swimmer and has pretty good strokes. She sometimes uses one that she isn't supposed to though (regular kick during breaststroke for example) and she has ADD so she's easily distracted. She's done fine on our indoor practices. We have not gone to any meets. Should we go to a few for her to watch first? Thanks! And sorry to derail.

If it has been suggested, it is time. All she has to be able to do is swim the length of the pool without stopping. Just realize that she might be disqualified. It really doesn't matter. Everyone is disqualified at some point! She will still be dqed when she is an expert swimmer occassionally. it just happens. It is a chance to learn. The meets are fun for the kids. It makes them excited and gives them a reason to practice hard.

Thanks! She can easily swim the length of the pool without stopping. She has lots of energy! If she's DQed, which I'm sure she will be, will they just tell her at the end of the lap or will they let her know before she's even finished. I have never been to a swim meet in my life! LOL :lol: I am sure they do it after, and that would be fine.

Thanks! She can easily swim the length of the pool without stopping. She has lots of energy! If she's DQed, which I'm sure she will be, will they just tell her at the end of the lap or will they let her know before she's even finished. I have never been to a swim meet in my life! LOL :lol: I am sure they do it after, and that would be fine.

Depends on the team conducting the meet. Sometimes they tell them when the get out of the pool. Most of the time, they find out when the results are posted. It is rather hard to be dq'ed in freestyle. Breast and fly pull a whole bunch when kids are just starting. Backstroke, they are usually fine as long as they finish on their back and can do the flip turn (if necessary). Just remember not to flip out if it happens. Don't get mad at the child (I've seen this happen so many times with new parents) or the official. Ds's goal for a long time was to just swim fly legally in a meet. Who cares about the time!?!:D

I would go ahead and let her start swimming in meets as soon as the coach would like her in them. No need to go and watch first. Just jump in.

When your dd is finished with her swim, she will talk with her coach. He will go over the race and will probably have noticed if she DQed. Coaches receive DQ notices after the ref has processed them. Even if she knows she did something to DQ, she needs to finish the race.

'Cause lots of times, the officials don't catch it or don't call it!:iagree:

What is in your child's swim bag? In a duffle: 2 pair of Shorts ,1 towel,2 goggles. That is it. He also carries a mesh gear bag with fins, straight line snorkel, buoys, bands and other workout gear. When we were first starting out, I kept and extra bag in the car with shorts/goggles just in case he forgot something or lost it. After about 6mths it wasn't necessary any longer. We keep his meet suit and new goggles at home for meets. We don't want to loose those if he looses his bag.

How often do you wash their suits and towels? I have never washed a suit, he rinses off in them, or washes them himself in the sink only if needed for some reason. He has 3 suits and rotates thru them. One hanging in the shower at home, two dry in his bag. When he gets home he trades the wet one for the dry one immediately back into his bag. Towels are daily as locker room floors are filthy. I have towels that are just for swimming but the bath ones do go on occasion. I don't like big beach towels for swimming, they take up too much room in the wash.

Is the chlorine shampoo worth the money? For blond hair, yes. He uses it a couple times a week or his hair gets a build up on it that looks like he put gel in his hair.

Do your kids change back into street clothes or just come home wet in the car? Rinses of in his suit, street clothes, showers at home.

Do your kids just rinse off, or do they take a real shower with soap and shampoo after workouts? see above.

If you have boys, how do you get them out of the locker room within a reasonable amount of time? I let him have as much time as he wants, and just plan for the extra time. Swimming is a busy sport and doesn't allow for much visiting time during practice. It is his main chance to get to know these kids and is one of the reasons he loves to swim. He loves the comradery. Our team allows the kids to hit the hot tub after practice so it is common for ds and the other kids, to walk out 30 minutes after practice is over.

:001_smile:

Depends on the team conducting the meet. Sometimes they tell them when the get out of the pool. Most of the time, they find out when the results are posted. It is rather hard to be dq'ed in freestyle. Breast and fly pull a whole bunch when kids are just starting. Backstroke, they are usually fine as long as they finish on their back and can do the flip turn (if necessary). Just remember not to flip out if it happens. Don't get mad at the child (I've seen this happen so many times with new parents) or the official. Ds's goal for a long time was to just swim fly legally in a meet. Who cares about the time!?!:D

I would go ahead and let her start swimming in meets as soon as the coach would like her in them. No need to go and watch first. Just jump in.

Thanks! She just turned 8. Her team is really laid back, which is part of why I picked it. I don't want it to be too much pressure for her. We picked swim team b/c she would live in the water if she could - she's a fish! And she needs some more discipline and something to focus on (b/c of ADD). I would not get mad at her for DQing. I expect it. Her coach hasn't told her (or me) anything about meets. She hasn't learned fly yet (not really sure what that is). She's great at freestyle and good at breast too. Backstroke really throws her off. She learned to swim on her own the summer she turned 3, but she swam underwater. She just learned strokes about a month ago. Thanks for the info!

Thanks for all these replies. You're helping me get excited about this.

The boys will be on a very, very beginner team -- all they need to be able to do it swim one length crawl stroke. The meets are optional, but the workouts are every day for the summer. Lots of neighborhood kids are trying it out for the first time, so I have high hopes for a good experience for them.

Does anyone have any advice for me about teaching kids to dive? My older (9 and a half) is very willing to work on his dives, but they look awful. Awful! Poor guy.

My younger (turning 8 next week) is spooked by the very idea. He has tried a few dives, and actually looks better than his older brother, but HATES it. I just don't know how hard to push, or whether to just leave it up to the coaches. I don't want to make him miserable. This is supposed to fun, right?

The boys will be on a very, very beginner team -- all they need to be able to do it swim one length crawl stroke. The meets are optional, but the workouts are every day for the summer. Lots of neighborhood kids are trying it out for the first time, so I have high hopes for a good experience for them.

Does anyone have any advice for me about teaching kids to dive? My older (9 and a half) is very willing to work on his dives, but they look awful. Awful! Poor guy.

My younger (turning 8 next week) is spooked by the very idea. He has tried a few dives, and actually looks better than his older brother, but HATES it. I just don't know how hard to push, or whether to just leave it up to the coaches. I don't want to make him miserable. This is supposed to fun, right?

Good luck! My dd just turned 8 this week and this is our first swim team experience too! Our coaches are working with them on dives, but my dd's still looks pretty bad, lol.

Depends on his size. The most efficient way I have found to teach a dive is for me to stand in the water under them standing on the deck. Your back is to the pool side. Reach up over your head and hold him by the waist. You literally guide him into the water. He should not JUMP. He could injure you. You want to be the one in control. This teaches them to not be afraid of entering head first. Works great for back dives too. Problem is that they have to be small enough for you to physically help by lifting them over your head. A very compliant smaller 9 yo it might work with.

Second help i've found for beginner divers is to give them something small to hold under their chin. The goal is to go in head first and not drop the item from under the chin until they have entered the water. Most kids get scared and look up which causes a belly flop or water up the nose. This works with kids who are too large for method one.

Other than that, they just have to decide they are going to do it. Sometimes it takes a long while!

We just use one big pool bag- towel, goggles, sunscreen, maybe snacks & water if we're going to stay awhile

Rinse out the suits every day; hang towels to dry, and wash them whenever I do a load of brights- probably once a week or so

For my daughter's long, fine hair, absolutely; for my son, no

Come home wet

Bath at home

I try to not let him in there in the first place; otherwise "threaten" that if he's not out in 5 minutes (or whatever seems appropriate) that I'll find someone to go in and get him. Haven't had to do that, but did once stand at the door and holler- that was the last time I let him go in the kid-boys' locker room at the indoor pool. Outdoor pool just has a bathroom.