Menu

Which spelling should we try?

momtolgd

Here is what is on the plate for my ds for next year for Language Arts. Which spelling curriculum do you think would fit in best for a 4th grader about to finish the ETC books?

Already planned:

Growing With Grammar 4

Writing Tales 1

Queen Pictures in Cursive (cursive copywork)

He hasn't had much in the way of formal spelling...is an ok speller while doing dictation for WWE2 but doesn't know the rules yet.

I've looked at Spelling Power, SWR/Wise guide, Megawords, Simply Spelling, Spelling Wisdom, and Spellwell...do you like any of these or recommend something else I'm really unsure of what to try. What would you recommend?

This is the last decision I have to make for next year's planning...trying to decide! Thanks.

Also...should I add in spelling for my upcoming 2nd grader, or leave it at ETC, WWE2, GWG and Queen Pictures in Cursive copywork?

I haven't seen anyone else here recommend it, but the spelling we use and like is Everyday Spelling; I came upon it in the single year we tried the Calvert school thing, and it came "in the box." My dds11 like it, who are not especially good spellers, my ds8 likes it, who is a very strong speller. It's colorful, but not too busy, revisits "frequently misspelled words," and works on proofreading in every lesson. You can also buy the D'Nealian editions, if that's the handwriting you use. Best to you in your choice!

I've used SWO and have thoroughly examined Spelling Power, and I can say that I think both are very, very good. I will add that my df, whose brother won the Nat'l Spelling Bee and who did really well in it herself, has used both of these. Her son who is strong in spelling did SWO, and her other son did SP. I think she knows what she's talking about!:D

I've used five spelling programs -- ACSI Spelling, Spelling Power, Spelling Workout, Spell to Write and Read/Wise Guide for Spelling, and All About Spelling. ACSI Spelling, Spelling Power, and Spelling Workout did nothing to improve my dc's spelling. With Spelling Power and Spelling Workout, they did fine on the tests, but it didn't carry over into their other work. They were atrocious spellers. SWR/WG was great for my two older sons, and they did a complete turnaround in their spelling. There was a dramatic difference in just one year of use for ds#1 (we finished the book). I switched to All About Spelling this year, because it teaches almost identical things as SWR/WG, but it's far, far easier to use. SWR/WG is so difficult to learn to use that there are special trainers who give seminars and there is at least one website that teaches how to use it. AAS takes only a few minutes to learn how to use. With SWR, I was constantly having to juggle two books and find the appropriate pages in SWR with the material that I had to teach. With AAS, there's only one book and all the teaching material is in each lesson. AAS uses a great filing system that makes it easy to customize the lessons for each student. I can just open the book and file box, get out any additional materials that may be needed, and start the lesson each day. There's no daily prep work, unless you count the alphabetizing of the letter tiles, which dc do.

Questions about All About Spelling. For my oldest, should we start at book 1? Would it be wise to assume he will move through it quicker and go onto book 2? Do I need two seperate sets to use it for both kids? How long does it take to go through book 1 with a typical 2nd grader? Should I also plan for her to go onto book 2 in one year? Do I need more than one set of the tiles and stuff?

Questions about All About Spelling. For my oldest, should we start at book 1? Would it be wise to assume he will move through it quicker and go onto book 2? Do I need two seperate sets to use it for both kids? How long does it take to go through book 1 with a typical 2nd grader? Should I also plan for her to go onto book 2 in one year? Do I need more than one set of the tiles and stuff?

I don't think you should use AAS or SWR. You stated that he is already a pretty good speller. If he is not struggling in spelling, I would choose an easier program. JMHO

when finished, I'd move into Megawords. They compliment each other well. My oldest (going into 4th) is using Megawords now. My middle ds (who will be going into 2nd) is on book 6 of ETC, when he finishes he'll go on to Megawords. This is what I'd suggest for your 2nd grader as well.

That was one that I was really considering for him (even have it on my wishlist at rainbow resource center), but then I read a bunch of threads here and started questioning whether he needs a firm foundation of the rules of spelling before doing something like that. Any thoughts about this?

I just started AAS with my 7 yr olds going into 2nd grade. I bought Level-1 & 2 & the tiles (one set). They are breezing through Level-1 doing 2-3 lessons each day.

I started at Level-1 just to make sure they have all the basics covered. Once ina while we come across a tip which my girls are not familiar with even though they know to spell the word.

Tiles they think is babyish, so I am returning them back.

The Text Book comes with a workbook. Workbook is a set of Flash Crads. So get Level-1 set & you should be able to work with both kids with the same workbook.

We don't even use the workbook. I write down the mispelled words in a book & review them each day. The misspeled words were in the Text & not even in the workbook.

You can get one set & if you feel you need another you can always order another set.

The books arrived within 3 days of my order from AAS.

I have used Megawords and I don't think it is a spelling program.

I would check out sequential spelling. Simple to use and very effective.

I'm very interested in Megawords. Will you please elaborate on how it's NOT a spelling program? I guess I'm curious because so many other posts seem to favor it for spelling. Thanks!

I'm very interested in Megawords. Will you please elaborate on how it's NOT a spelling program? I guess I'm curious because so many other posts seem to favor it for spelling. Thanks!

I was wondering the same thing...most of the posts about it talk about spelling, and in Rainbow Resource Center's catalog it is listed as Spelling/Vocabulary. :001_huh:

having covered all the topics of phonics contained in the Phonics Museum from Veritas Press, would you think a child needs to cover the beginning stuff in AAS, if he's a pretty good speller but only in 1st grade?

and what does SWO stand for?

I wouldn't think so. You can find out... Look at the scope and sequence, print out the samples and see if he can do them. :)

Bumping again in case anyone could elaborate on how Megawords would not truly be a spelling program...?

Also, I see Megawords marketed as a vocabulary program, as well, but from the samples, I can't see anything that emphasizes vocabulary exercises. Can anyone explain how this program enhances vocabulary?

Bumping again in case anyone could elaborate on how Megawords would not truly be a spelling program...?

Also, I see Megawords marketed as a vocabulary program, as well, but from the samples, I can't see anything that emphasizes vocabulary exercises. Can anyone explain how this program enhances vocabulary?

BUMP!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

did you ever figure out what you're going to do? i was just reviewing the thread to see if anyone had followed up.

i'm no help. :(

did you look at the natural speller?? or sequential spelling? i don't knowanything about either of them other than what i've gleaned from "looking inside" online and a few reviews. reviews are so subjective ...

i've actually decided to do the Natural Speller at first and give it a GOOD 1-2 months and then if that doesn't go well or isn't enough, i'm going to order AAS( .... or SWO??).

i'd love thoughts on that.

could anybody tell me what SWO B starts out with? like what kinds of words?