Menu

Thanks for recommending North and South movie

For the longest time, I always wondered why people mentioned North and South on threads regarding British films. (I was clearly thinking people meant the Civil War television series).

I finally watched the British one and loved it. Thanks so much!

For the longest time, I always wondered why people mentioned North and South on threads regarding British films. (I was clearly thinking people meant the Civil War television series).

I finally watched the British one and loved it. Thanks so much!

That happened to me too! I couldn't figure out what the fuss was about. So glad I figured it out! I *love* North and South, now one of my favorites.

If you haven't already, try Wives and Daughters. I enjoyed it as much as North and South.

Enjoy!

Amber in SJ

Oh, I loved that one! Thanks!

This week, I plan to watch:

The Tenant of Wildfell Hall

and

Tess of the d'Urbervilles

I loved North and South and Wives and Daughters (although the main character has her mouth hanging open half of the time and it drives me nuts!).

Have you seen Cranford? It's wonderful, too!!

oops -- thanks for reminding me about that one! I'll add it to my list.

I didn't care too much for Cranford or Wives and Daughters...not sure why.:confused: But I just finished watching the new BBC version of Sense and Sensibility and liked is much better than the Emma Thompson one. The new BBC Persuasion was pretty good too...probably the best I've seen to date. Another movie I recently watched and really loved was Lorna Doone

Netflix has them all. ;)

This board is a *wealth* of information. I was turned on to that by WTM several years ago and it's one of my fav. movies and I read the book this year, too. re: Wives and Daughters- LOL the girl with her mouth hanging open ;) She really does. The book (read that this year, too) is way, way better than the movie. Of course. And no pesky mouth breathing, either.

Off to netflix Persuasion. Didn't know there was a new one. Thanks, WTM!

Margaret

I didn't care too much for Cranford or Wives and Daughters...not sure why.:confused: But I just finished watching the new BBC version of Sense and Sensibility and liked is much better than the Emma Thompson one. The new BBC Persuasion was pretty good too...probably the best I've seen to date. Another movie I recently watched and really loved was Lorna Doone

Netflix has them all. ;)

I liked the new Persuasion. But it really can't touch the Ciaran Hinds version. :svengo: ;)

I liked the new Persuasion. But it really can't touch the Ciaran Hinds version. :svengo: ;)

:iagree: I liked the new version of Persuasion and then I finally saw the Ciaran Hinds version. Soooo much better.

:iagree: I liked the new version of Persuasion and then I finally saw the Ciaran Hinds version. Soooo much better.

Ack! Ciaran Hinds BUGGED me! I liked some things better in that version, but Ciaran Hinds ruined it for me. I found him very...unattractive. :ack2: And Colonal Wentworth MUST be attractive! :D

I actually didn't care for Amanda Root either though. :confused: Hmmmm...neither Root nor Hinds inspired me much. Perhaps I should rewatch it, maybe I was in an odd mood.

Neither are what I would call a perfect Persuasion, but at least in the new version I can enjoy looking at Rupert Penry-Jones.:001_wub: Now HE inspires me! :w00t: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after spotting this thread I put North and South on hold at my library and it finally came and and we watched it on Sunday. I enjoyed it very much. :) I liked that it had a story that was the movie, but underneath there were so many other stories that you got as well. Like how slavery in America effected the business practices in England to make them competitive and how that effected the workers' lives a continent away. I never thought about slavery and its effects around the globe before. I thought it was interesting too how the strike that was supposed to better the workers' condition winds up having everyone lose their job when the factory goes under. A lot of things to think about in that movie, plus that kiss at the train station. Hello!! Not one of those Pride and Prejudice kisses to be sure! ;) :D hehe

:iagree: That scene and "Look back. Look back at me." :svengo:

hehehe And she didn't look back sniff. What do you all think about that dad?? I think he was such a jerk, but at the same time, if he hadn't uprooted the family she wouldn't have met the love of her life. hmmm.:001_huh:

hehehe And she didn't look back sniff. What do you all think about that dad?? I think he was such a jerk, but at the same time, if he hadn't uprooted the family she wouldn't have met the love of her life. hmmm.:001_huh:

Really? I thought he was a very nice man, and I admired that he stood by his beliefs. Maybe I'm forgetting something jerkish that he did.

He was the one who tried to persuade his daughter that "he" (I cannot remember the mill owner's name) wasn't so bad.

Really? I thought he was a very nice man, and I admired that he stood by his beliefs. Maybe I'm forgetting something jerkish that he did.

He was the one who tried to persuade his daughter that "he" (I cannot remember the mill owner's name) wasn't so bad.

Well, I was just thinking about how miserable he made his family. I attributed his mother's illness to his uprooting the family. Notice how she was so miserable and just couldn't seem to adjust to living in Milton. I don't know, I just like to believe that if I were that miserable someplace and my husband was in a position to go somewhere else I'd like to think that he would. I mean, the world is a big place, surely there was somewhere he could have moved the family where he could stand by his convictions without having to sacrifice the happiness of his family.

It just seemed to me a very self serving thing to do and I felt very sorry for his wife. But at least the daughter found her happiness even if the mother could not.

Mr. Hale has doubts about the Church of England and accepting the rigid doctrines embodied in the Thirty-Nine Articles - to which those who take Orders must subscribe. Elizabeth Gaskell (the author), was herself a Unitarian who did not accept a tripartite God, nor Christ as God, as the Articles required. It is also suggested the Mr. Hale is based on a real person called J. A. Froude, whose doubts caused him to resgin his fellowship at Oxford and settle for some time in Manchester with his wife. Milton is the name Gaskell gave Manchester.

Charles Dickens, who was a very good friend of Mrs. Gaskell, told her that is was not wise to inclued these ideas in her book.

The book goes into Mr Hale's feeling and thoughts a lot more than the movie does.

Just finished North and South - loved it - any other suggestions????

We're enjoying Cranford right now.

I also loved these period dramas:

Bleak House

Pride and Prejudice

Emma

Sense and Sensibility

The Moonstone

Queen Elizabeth

Mrs. Brown

Edited by nestof3

They've been showing a Hollywood version of Pride and Prejudice with someone I didn't like as Lizzie, and Donald Sutherland(?) as Mr. Bennett. No one can touch the Andrew Davies version.

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree: Andrew Davies' adaptation was brilliant and has become the standard by which I measure all other versions. The casting was excellent and there was so much chemistry between all of the characters. I give it two thumbs WAY up! :)