Menu

Read Aloud Series for Boys

I am hoping someone can give me a recommendation for a series (or long individual title) to read aloud as a family over the summer with my two boys (6 & 7.5).

I am up to my eyeballs in resources for literature choices - I just want some more specific advice from a real person :)

We just finished Five Children and It - and loved it. We read The Chronicles of Narnia last summer and we read The Hobbit at the begining of the year. We also enjoyed Farmer Boy, Ginger Pye, and Pinky Pye.

I want something that will last all summer. I can't wait to hear your suggestions!

My boys love Tuckets Travels. We used it as a read aloud when they were younger (5 and 7.5), but oldest ds (now 9) is reading it alone right now. This is a series of five books, but the link is for an all-in-one volume book. We have the all-in-one.

http://www.amazon.com/Tuckets-Travels-Francis-Adventures-1847-1849/dp/0440419670/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1244050461&sr=8-1

Melinda

If you loved Five Children and It, have you tried The Railway Children? Same author, no fantasy element, but we've loved it even more than her fantasy works. It's just delightful.

Have you read any Meindert DeJong? "Shadrach" is my favorite, but he's written a number of great things.

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is unisex and delightful fun.

Mr. Popper's Penguins?

Winnie the Pooh.

Someone mentioned Half Magic, and I'll happily second that series.

Swallows and Amazons is another wonderful series...

We read Summer of the Monkeys last summer. Others my boys, especially, have enjoyed: Swiss Family Robinson, Sign of the Beaver, & Dr. Dolittle.

They also really liked Wizard of Oz, though they had to read that on their own because I didn't want to read it to them. (Bad movie experience when I was little....)

yvonne

I'll ditto Meindert DeJong (Wheel on the School, House of Sixty Fathers, Dirk's Dog Bello...), The Railway Children, books by Edward Eager (Half Magic, Knight's Castle, The Time Garden...), and the Swallows and Amazons series.

My top recommendation for a read-aloud series with young boys would be Little Britches (and subsequent titles) by Ralph Moody. Extraordinary.

We've had great success with the Boxcar Children Series. My boys are just 5 and 6.5. We finished Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh (they loved it!) Also, very much enjoyed the Phantom Tollbooth and Where the Red Fern Grow. I read one and a half of the Hardy Boys mystery - I think it may be too much to keep track of though at this age. They liked it, but not loved it.

Great Brain, the Cicket in Time Square, From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, and the first 4 Encyclopedia Brown's are on the mantle piece!

I am hoping someone can give me a recommendation for a series (or long individual title) to read aloud as a family over the summer with my two boys (6 & 7.5).

Like another poster mentioned, these are fantastic books, and you *must* read more than just the first one. Without risking any spoilers, when you finish the first one you will want to pick up book two the very next day and start reading it, if not the very same day!

However, I would wait another year or two before starting these. I would not spoil such fantastic stories by reading them with your guys this year. There are many deeper lessons that might not really sink in at their age, unless they are particularly mature, empathic, or very industrious/entreprenuerial. I would wait until you are ready to up the bar on having your eldest take responsibility for work, habits, and self-motivation. At that point, RM will be a wonderful role model in a funny and charming, non-preachy way. OTOH, if your family is in a position where you need your kids to see a role model for industry, self-reliance, finding many ways to generate a variety of income streams, etc., then book 2 would be a marvelous read for you!

hth!