Menu

Would like to do a study on Africa, particularly Ethiopia

We are adopting from Ethiopia, and I would like to, along w/my children, learn about the continent and country, as well as the culture, while we wait for our children to come home.

From what I remember, KONOS has an Africa unit study. Has anyone done this and how did you/your children like it? (My kids are 5, 10, & 12.)

Does anyone know of any other curric's or studies focusing on Africa; or better yet, the country of Ethiopia?

TIA

PBS Kids--this does have a special section on the Ethiopian Highlands under "Explore the Regions"

Africa Access--has a database of children's books, among other things

Geo Deo's Journey into Africa--unit study curriculum

I haven't used any of these with my kids, so no opinions. I have wanted to use the Geo Deo one, but it just hasn't worked out yet.

Congratulations on your adoption! I hope things go smoothly for you and your family!

We did Journey to Africa, or parts of it, this year. Loved it. It focuses on modern-day Africa, rather than on its history, though there is a little history thrown in. The program is not as complicated as it looks. We also used an Africa puzzle map from maps.com. Even my 5 yo can locate 30 or so countries in Africa.

Congratulations on your impending adoption!

Terri

I have been looking at this myself (not Ethiopia in particular, but...close enough that I get the difficulty), but I am not sure what I'm going to use....

In addition to Ethiopia-specific books, there are multiple books on the history of East Africa. (I can't recommend one in particular yet.)

Here is a free unit study: http://www.homeschoolshare.com/faraway_home.php It is based on a book called Far Away Home.

I am currently reading the book Faraway Home (Faraway = one word). It's quite a nice one; the plot revolves around the father who will be going back to his home country to visit his mother, and the interest his daughter begins to take in understanding life in Ethiopia. The pictures are lovely, but I love all illustrations by E.B. Lewis.

[ Amazon link: Faraway Home by Jane Kurtz and E. B. Lewis ]

There are some books that my library used to have about an individual child in a country, but as these were written in the 1980s, they are getting pulled from the collection (old and outdated), andI'm not always seeing much being put back in.

Now, just in case you are building a collection of Ethiopia-related books for your library, I wanted to mention:

I definitely have read Foods of Ethiopia by Barbara Sheen, and it's not bad. You should also keep in mind that Marcus Samuelson, who is a celebrity chef, was born in Ethiopia and adopted by Swedish parents, so his books can be fun to look at, and see the way he's assimilated both countries into his identity.

I've just read The Perfect Orange: A Tale from Ethiopia (Toucan Tales Series ; Vol. 2) by Frank P. Araujo. Jane Kurtz seems to also have written several books set in Ethiopia.

I also found this list of books on Amazon relating to Ethiopian adoption, and I recommend the book Does Anybody Else Look Like Me?: A Parent's Guide To Raising Multiracial Children by Donna Jackson Nakazawa.

* What is Journey to Africa? Do you have a link?

We adopted a now-9 and now-7 yo from Ethiopia in March, 08! Congrats!

Geodeo doesn't cover Ethiopia per se, but it's a very good curriculum! I think that Ethiopia is quite different from most African cultures we may be used to here in the States. I think you could put together some things on your own and Stripe mentioned a lot of good ideas.

Look for an Ethiopian restaurant in a city near you!

jeri

I hope you don't mind that I'm posting this here, but I just wanted to mention that I have two student textbooks for sale on the swap board. It really is a very nice study for multi-age families. We all enjoyed it, and several of my dc re-read the book on their own afterwards. :001_smile:

I have found a few good resources already for our Africa study.

10 Days in Africa board game

Africa for Kids (an excellent book - good info and activities)

Also, for you: have you read "There Is No Me Without You"? It's about an Ethiopian woman who ends up taking care of many orphans, and adoption.

Wendi

Thank you all for your replies. I did see the Faraway Home book and unit study by Jane Kurtz, and that is looking pretty good. And thanks for the other book recommendations. I will definitely check into those.

The GeoDeo unit study, Journey to Africa, looks awesome, but it's too expensive at this point.

We don't have any Ethiopian restaurants around us, but we do have Little Ethiopia, which is a block of restuarants and Ethiopian stores and such, about 90mls away. I do plan on going there as a family very soon.

Thanks again and if you think of anything else, please let me know.

10 Days in Africa board game

Africa for Kids (an excellent book - good info and activities)

Wendi

We studied Africa for geography two years ago, and these two resources were excellent. Also really great was the Fandex guide to Africa--provides a neat, concise overview and die-cut map for each country.

We studied Africa for geography two years ago, and these two resources were excellent. Also really great was the Fandex guide to Africa--provides a neat, concise overview and die-cut map for each country.

We just played 10 days in Africa last night. Great game. Unfortunately, ds had a major meltdown when he lost, but we had fun right up to that point:)

We have a large Ethiopian community here in Los Angeles.

Food, hospitality, and the manner of serving, and eating (with clean hands) and scooping up stews "wots" (or "wats") with a bubbly sour pancake-like bread called injera, is a huge part of the culture. This little cook-book is a pretty good introduction to the cuisine and culture (despite the less than outstanding Amazon reviews).

http://www.amazon.com/Exotic-Ethiopian-Cooking-Hospitality-Traditions/dp/0961634529

Bill

If you are going to be going to Ethiopia, obtain as much cultural "stuff" as you can get when you're there that you think you might like to have around -- interesting cloths, clothes, cookbooks, cooking tools that are remotely interesting (wooden spoons, for example, or baskets for, say, cleaning rice), any sort of traditional games, and any books you can find, which may or may not be easy.

And thanks to SpyCar's link, I see that I misspelled Marcus Samuelsson's name earlier. Three "s"s in total in his last name:

The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa by Marcus Samuelsson, Gediyon Kifle, Desmond Tutu, and Heidi Sacko Walters

Aquavit: And the New Scandinavian Cuisine by Marcus Samuelsson

If you are going to be going to Ethiopia, obtain as much cultural "stuff" as you can get when you're there that you think you might like to have around -- interesting cloths, clothes, cookbooks, cooking tools that are remotely interesting (wooden spoons, for example, or baskets for, say, cleaning rice), any sort of traditional games, and any books you can find, which may or may not be easy.

One item to look for (because I think it will likely be deeply embedded in the child's olfactory memory) is Ethiopian frankincense. It is somewhat different (but similar) to the beige-colored frankincense I associate with Catholic Mass. It is commonly toward a purple-blue color. Ethiopians traditionally burn this while preparing coffee, and the aroma is heavenly.

Bill

One item to look for (because I think it will likely be deeply embedded in the child's olfactory memory) is Ethiopian frankincense.

Great idea. It's amazing how much smells are part of us. I think learning to cook will be fun and a nice welcoming gesture for. Although injera's no joke! And common spices -- both the smell in the house and perfume in food make a big difference. If you can learn to cook with someone, that would undoubtedly be easier.

Great idea. It's amazing how much smells are part of us. I think learning to cook will be fun and a nice welcoming gesture for. Although injera's no joke! And common spices -- both the smell in the house and perfume in food make a big difference. If you can learn to cook with someone, that would undoubtedly be easier.

I (purposefully) left out the part about how Ethiopians roast green coffee beans in a pan fresh for each serving of coffee, and how the smell of the roasting beans intermixes with the frankincense. Mmmmm...what a delightful combination of aromas :D

Bill