Menu

To highlight or not to highlight

mom4him

I have always tried to keep my TM's as mark free as possible. I have not even used pencil in very many of them so they will be in pristine condition for resale.

I now have a book that I feel I will be using long term and a couple others that I am sure I will be using for both kids at least. There is so much good info in them both and I keep having the reflex action to grab a highlighter/pencil/pen/anything that will help me come back and find these areas and start marking these books up.

Do any of you the resell material just forget it with some and mark to your hearts content with the knowledge that you are not going to be able to sell this rather expensive book? I keep thinking, they were expensive and it isn't doing me any good to invest this and not get the full benefit out of it.

I think this is some kind of whacked thinking that I don't dare mark up any of my TM's.

HELP, SOMEONE TELL ME TO GO AHEAD AND MARK OR HIDE ANYTHING THAT IS MARKABLE MATERIAL!

I'd use post-it flags in a situation like that. I don't like the way highlighters bleed through. If you must mark, use small dots. It's a trick I learned from a friend in grad school, and it's just right. A small dot in the margin is enough to catch your eye but not disturbing. Also consider making written notes as you proceed. It will give those highlighter-craving fingers something to do. :)

I have a similar hangup and I'm trying to over come it. Post-It notes are a good beginning, but I'm trying to just let go and mark up the parts I want to!

YUP! this is where I am at. I have used post it notes in the past for marking specific pages, the dot idea is a good one though. It isn't as intrusive but would still bring my attention to the place that I will want to come back to.

I have to admit, I wonder why I HAVE TO HAVE PERMISSION TO MARK IN MY BOOK! :confused: I have wondered if it hasn't been some of the reason that I haven't been able to make some curr. work. My memory isn't the greatest because of chemical exposure, better than it used to be but still not good, so to go remember all of these facts I normally have to read some things several times. I used to highlight books all the time and would then go back through and just read the highlighted areas but since I have been home schooling and selling curr that we are finished with or not going to use I rarely put a mark in it. I have one manual that I studied intensly and have some marks in it but ......

Sorry, I know this is just plain strange to most of you.:lol:

I mark in mine if we are using them. If I love the curriculum it has marks all over, especially if it will be used for my other children. I figure the highlights and post its will save me time in the future. You should see my new TWTM. Doesnt look so new anymore.:tongue_smilie:

Erin

I don't like highlighters, but I do write very lightly in pencil. Also, post-it notes are good, but I don't like to have too many flags. So I typically will make longer notes (that won't fit into the margins) on a post-it, and then stick it on the page, but not sticking out. In fact, it's probably an indication of some latent, perverse tendency, but I enjoy strategically placing my post-its. Crazy.

Ya know, you only live once, so use the things you have. If that means marking in books...so be it! If that means marks on your hardwood from rocking your baby...so be it! If that mean height marks on the bathroom door showing how your children have grown...so be it! Oh, and yes, get out those "precious" pieces of china and use them! OK, I am finished. We all have our ideas on how we want things, but I, for one, have just recently decided to live and not worry that all the "stuff" remain in pristine condition. Yes, be good stewards and take reasonalb ecare of things, but there is a limit!

Think of the cool things they tell you when you visit an old cabin of some famous person. The things I remember are when they tell me this worn table is from when the person whittled and the knife hit the table causing the "imperfection" or some such story. I want to leave my children some cool memories like that!

OK, maybe I am finished now. Go back to you lives, citizens.

I hope folks don't take this as flippant. It isn't intended that way. I just see so many places where we really need to start livin' instead of worryin'. See, I have even given up using the "g" at the end of "ing"! LOL Ever heard the song Better Get to Livin' by Dolly Parton?

Now I am really finished. Please have a great day!

I bought erasable highlighters from Dollar Tree for just this purpose. They're like magic! You highlight whatever you want to, and when you want to erase you use the other side of the highlighter, which has the erasing solution. They're very, very cool.

Ya know, you only live once, so use the things you have. If that means marking in books...so be it! If that means marks on your hardwood from rocking your baby...so be it! If that mean height marks on the bathroom door showing how your children have grown...so be it! Oh, and yes, get out those "precious" pieces of china and use them! OK, I am finished. We all have our ideas on how we want things, but I, for one, have just recently decided to live and not worry that all the "stuff" remain in pristine condition. Yes, be good stewards and take reasonalb ecare of things, but there is a limit!

Think of the cool things they tell you when you visit an old cabin of some famous person. The things I remember are when they tell me this worn table is from when the person whittled and the knife hit the table causing the "imperfection" or some such story. I want to leave my children some cool memories like that!

OK, maybe I am finished now. Go back to you lives, citizens.

I hope folks don't take this as flippant. It isn't intended that way. I just see so many places where we really need to start livin' instead of worryin'. See, I have even given up using the "g" at the end of "ing"! LOL Ever heard the song Better Get to Livin' by Dolly Parton?

Now I am really finished. Please have a great day!

Didn't sound flippant to me.

I have passed the hardwood floor test, thus we have to refinish our floors every 4-5 yrs.:D I have a solid oak dinning room table that my oldest son built 22 yrs ago in his senior shop class. It definitely shows some classic where.;) I have never had china but I do have the nicest dishes I have ever had(Fiesta Ware) and we use them for everyday and company:hurray: We haven't marked on the bathroom door for the kids growth chart because I found this cute wooden chart that we have attached to the school room wall. It did take screw holes though.:001_unsure: Maybe there is hope for me after all.:001_smile:

Now all I have to do is get the time to read the book without interuption every 3 words:lol:

I bought erasable highlighters from Dollar Tree for just this purpose. They're like magic! You highlight whatever you want to, and when you want to erase you use the other side of the highlighter, which has the erasing solution. They're very, very cool.

These sound wonderful but something that I probably wouldn't be able to use because of the chemical sensitivity. They erase? WOW!

I'm working my way up to permanent markings. :) Right now I'm using pencil. I've come to grips with the fact that these are MY books, and I really shouldn't worry about resale.

This is where I really want to be. It seems as though money for curr. is always at a premium, which I know it is for most but I keep telling myself, you have bought this, paid for it and then you are not going to use it to the fullest?:001_huh:

Thanks everyone. This thread has been good for me.:hurray:

Wow, I've never heard of such a thing! Now I know where I need to go... :)

These sound wonderful but something that I probably wouldn't be able to use because of the chemical sensitivity. They erase? WOW!

I use Crayola Erasable Twistable crayons to highlight things in my Bible. Not only are they erasable (so you can make neater marks, and so you can erase the highlighting if you decide to sell the book), they also don't bleed through to the next page like regular highlighters. They also don't leave crayon residue on the opposite page like regular crayons.

Recent book-marker here....I resisted for a long time, too. :) Now I mark things up because it helps me to teach my kids better. Also, if something I am looking for for later on is expensive, I will sometimes buy it used even if it has marks in it. So, someone still might buy your marked up TMs later on, you never know.

I struggled with that with my CW books. I bit the bullet and bought a workbook for myself, not cheap right. At first I was only going to use post it notes and then I realized it would drive me batty. I write in books I use and plan to keep, I operate better that way. I decided to just write in the book (in pencil) and use it, that is why I bought it! Even if I decide I can't resell it I paid the money to use the curriculum, not get top resale value.

I realize not everyone can do this and has to think about resale. But the last thing I need is to feel uptight while trying to teach CW Homer. :lol:

I don't mark in my TMs or textbooks, because I do resell, but I have no probs with my kids writing in their consumable workbooks. I just know if I don't mark in them, I can get most of my money back. That being said, if you're not worrying about reselling, then mark away ;) I use little post-it tab things where I need them instead:)

Erasable highlighters ? I am going to have to check my Dollar Tree store to see if they have these.:)

I am such a homeschool mom to be happy over something like this.:lol:

There is so much good info in them both and I keep having the reflex action to grab a highlighter/pencil/pen/anything that will help me come back and find these areas!

Perhaps when you do resale, the new purchaser will "appreciate" the noteworthy parts already being marked!

Just a thought-

Kim