Menu

How many hours per week?

Sorry if this question has been asked many times. This is my first post here.

I have been home schooling my 10 yo and 16 yo; my 10 yo for 1.5 years and my 16 yo for 5 months. How many hours per week do you typically spend on academics and sports?

MY 10 yo boy: 30.5 hours academics 16.5 sports (not including organized competitions) (he is highly competitive)

My 16 yo girl: 34.75 academics and 3 hours of working out.

In your opinion, is this enough, too much, or what?

Thanks,

My ds, 12, spends about 3 hours per day 5 days a week on academics. It will probably be more like 4-5 next year. So that equals 15 hours/week with 20-25 hours per week next year.

He spends quite a bit on sports. During Baseball he has 2 2.5-3 hour practices and 2 games per week. During Football he has 3 hour practices 5-6 days a week and 1 game per week. During baseball and football he'll usually only go to Martial Arts once a week for 1.5 hours, but during the other sports' off season he attends Martial Arts 3-4 times per week for 1.5 hours. So that equals 6 to 18 hours per week depending on time of year.

If you are thinking that you're requiring too much of your kids you probably are. 30.5 hours per week would have been too much academics for my son when he was 10, but if your son is fine with it, then continue. 34.75 would probably be the upper end required of a 16 year old, but I would encourage her to spend more time on a physical activity. This is the time to show her how to be active and take care of her body. If she makes it a routine now maybe it won't go by the roadside so easily when she gets older and has a family!

You know what your kids need and what they are capable of so just go with your gut! You'll do fine.:)

Thanks for your input.

Are you including self study hours like reading a novel? I am including any kind of homework in academic hours.

We do a lot of the Teaching company videos. Some science and math lecture.

I am always concerned that I am not doing enough. But, on the other hand, it seems like their days are packed full. I always give them the weekends off (with the exception of organized competition for my son).

Pretty much, it is solely up to you. A LOT of people do much less schoolishness. Of course, their kids probably read, follow interests and such that don't count but certainly are educational. And many people do that much or more. Just for a comparison, our state's virtual academy requires 6 hours per day. They are pretty free with what that entails past assigned work though, but many people take longer than 6 hours in order to get it all in also.

At 10, my kids did WAY less than your kids. At 12-14, my daughter did a little less but my son did similarly to what your son does. I'm not exactly sure how long it will take my son for 9th grade next year. I would guess 6 hours per day. My 16 yo was in college last year. That shortened her schooling hours considerably (college is much easier than homeschooling for her).

Anyway, so that is a non-answer. Whatever works for your family.

MY 10 yo boy: 30.5 hours academics 16.5 sports (not including organized competitions) (he is highly competitive)

My 10 yo spends 27-30 hours a week on academics, but doesn't do any sports. She spends a minimum 5 hours a week in outdoor exercise/play.

My 15 yo spends 32-35 hours in academics and 5 hours of working out. I don't feel this work load is excessive in the least. She still has lots of time to hang out on facebook, spend time with friends, help around the house, volunteer at the library, and be active in youth group and teen court.

Just how it works in our family,

Cathy

Thanks for your input.

Are you including self study hours like reading a novel? I am including any kind of homework in academic hours.

We do a lot of the Teaching company videos. Some science and math lecture.

I am always concerned that I am not doing enough. But, on the other hand, it seems like their days are packed full. I always give them the weekends off (with the exception of organized competition for my son).

Well, if I added reading novels, writing his books and watching educational TV it would be more like40 hours/week! He loves to read and has been writing a book. He watches Nova several times a week. I guess I kind of see those as extras. But I'm glad he enjoys them!

We spend about 15-20 hours on school stuff (sometimes a little more if we are doing field trips or hands on things) and for sports, not much at all. My kids aren't doing any sports right now. If they are involved in an activity, they will spend about 1-3 hours a week.

-Tia

Sorry if this question has been asked many times. This is my first post here.

I have been home schooling my 10 yo and 16 yo; my 10 yo for 1.5 years and my 16 yo for 5 months. How many hours per week do you typically spend on academics and sports?

Thanks,

Last year, my ten year old spent about 30 hours a week on academics and, I'd guess, about 8-10 hours a week on organized sports related things. Additionally, he plays piano and I didn't count that in academic hours. So I'd say you're on track for your son.

When my older son was a freshman, his last year to homeschool with me, he spent about 40 hours a week on academics and about 12-20 hours a week on sports (but he's in year-round swimming).

9yo - About 15 hours a week on academics; 15-18 hours a week at gymnastics.

10yo - About 15 hours a week on academics; 9 hours a week on baseball.

12yo - About 19 hours a week on academics; 10 hours a week at dance.

15yo - About 20-22 hours a week on academics; 5 hours a week at track plus about 3 hours a week of weightlifting.

9yo boy: about twenty-nine hours of school (including a half-hour run each day) plus an extra 1.5 hours of organised sport, 1 hour of horse riding, 2 hours of community Chinese school, 1.5 hours of cub scouts and 1.5 hours of chess club (all the activities are his choice).

12yo boy: around thirty-two hours of school (including a half-hour run each day) plus an extra 2.5 hours of organised sport, 2 hours of scouts, 2 hours of community Chinese school and 1.5 hours of chess club (activities are his choice).

Each boy has a book to read each week during free time. The school hours include music lessons and practice.

Laura

We do generally one hour of academics per day for each grade. So, my 12yodd (7th grade) did about 7 hours a day, or 35 hours per week of academics. My 11yods (5th grade) did about 5 hours a day, or 25 hours a week. This includes core subjects, things we do together (like history), free reading, and instrument practice/lessons.

They do about 3 hours a week of stuctured exercise, but no organized sports. Dd does dance (Celtic and Ballet) and ds does Karate. They also walk and ride bikes and regular outdoor play.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ

My kids, ages 7 and 9, do about 2-3 hours a day in formal academics plus we read another 30 minutes together at bedtime. There are other things that they do that are "educational" (chores, cooking, doing stuff online, TV, creative/imaginative play, etc) but I couldn't tell you how much time is spent doing them.

Next year, we will be increasing that to 4-5 hours as we are adding in a few subjects or supplemental curriculum. We'll be adding in more analyzing of literature, drawing instruction, communication skills, supplementing math with questions focusing on problem solving, and foreign language.

My 9 year old does not do any formal sports. She's just not interested enough to spend the time and money pursuing it. My 7 year old, on the other hand, complains that 10 hours of taekwondo isn't enough and often practices on his own time, wherever he is.