Menu

The new movie "Up" is amazing! Loved it. (No spoilers)

I just got back from taking my boys to see it. It was precious. Like so many of the Pixar movies, the themes underlying this movie were fantastic. I will talk to my kids about them for years to come. They just enjoyed the beautiful animation and funny parts. The underlying messages they will unwrap more and more as they get older.

So glad we went to see this one. :)

Oh, I forgot to say...take kleenex and lots of them. I cried like a baby - a few different times. I mean really cried. Part of it was that the particular challenges this family faced hit very close to home as well as the fact that I have a really, really tender heart for the elderly as well.

Do you know why it is PG rather than G? I looked at the Plugged In review, but couldn't really tell. Is it just the deeper meaning that gives it that rating or just the whole thrill/danger thing? It's okay for a 5 and 6 year old then? I'm hoping to take them next week. I'm always so nervous about movies!!!

I'm glad to hear this. My kids were really wanting to see it, but the previews I've seen have been so vague, I couldn't tell what it was about. I was afraid it was another movie for the sake of a movie. I've always enjoyed pixar, but the previews were making me wonder....

Do you know why it is PG rather than G? I looked at the Plugged In review, but couldn't really tell. Is it just the deeper meaning that gives it that rating or just the whole thrill/danger thing? It's okay for a 5 and 6 year old then? I'm hoping to take them next week. I'm always so nervous about movies!!!

I don't know for sure. The dogs in it are definitely scary at times. There is a Doberman Pinscher who is especially mean. There definitely is the element of thrill and danger but not excessive at all in my opinion. But then again, we let our boys watch Star Wars. ;) This was very mild in comparison to that. Probably the main things are that there are some short scenes that are very sad. A sensitive child who picked up on them may have a tough time. My 4yo realized what was going on and got a little misty eyed. He crawled into my lap for 5 minutes and then was fine. My oldest didn't even realize what was going on and when he did, it was no problem for him at all. I know this is all vague. I don't want to give anything away here so feel free to PM me if you would like more details.

We're SO excited to see Up! We've been watching the previews on Facebook for months. :) We're going to see it at the drive-in tomorrow night--all 6 of us can get in for under $20! Can't wait--thanks for the review!

We loved it too! I cried many times... but in a good way "sniff". Dh told me it got a standing O at Cannes, so it's one that has pleased critics as well as viewers.

We only saw it in 2D (just because of scheduling), but it was good enough we may go back next week and catch the 3D.

• 3 weeks later...

It's the first Pixar movie I remember having blood, could blood give it a PG rating? There's human and bird blood.

From a Google search "Disney/Pixar's upcoming computer-animated film Up has received a PG rating from the MPAA for "some peril and action." The rating is now being featured on the movie's official website. This is only Pixar's second feature to receive a PG rating, after 2004's The Incredibles; all the others have been rated G."