Menu

Good Solid Workbook Style Grammar Curriculum for 7th grader..

dsacco

I was planning on doing Rod & Staff for both kids and put my son (who is struggling gramatically) in the 5th grade program which WTM suggests. But I see some "workbook" style ones out there - which might work a little better for him but I'm not sure if they are "strong" enough.... does that make sense?

I want BOTH kids to have a solid grammar (DH doesn't and it drives me nuts!!!) in speech and writing.

Thanks!

Analytical Grammar is set up in a "workbook" style format. There are 3 "seasons" to the workbook (each covers around 10-12 weeks over 3 years.) At the end of the program, you have a grammar handbook. And there are workbook style reinforcements. AG is ideal for grades 6, 7, 8. We will be starting this in the fall. My dd did use Step-by-Step grammar -volume 1 this year. It, too, is a workbook style format. This has worked great for my dd. Vol. 1 focuses on the parts of speech and includes parsing & diagramming. She has done very well with this--it has helped get those parts of speech down. She can identify what every word in the sentence is and what function it serves (i.e. pronoun used as an adjective, prepositional phrase used as an adverb or adjective, noun used as indirect obj, etc.)

Jennifer

Edited by Jen the RD

I absolutely love this program. My daughter has learned so much this year! I wish I'd known about it from the beginning. Would have solved many headaches for planning and accomplishing her LA.

I love how they incorporate history into the lessons. Last LU we learned all kinds of things about WWII, this LU we're learning about early American History while diagramming sentences, etc.

Has dictation or copywork, punctuation, spelling, grammar, vocabulary, etc.

We're using 700 level this year. Finished most of 600 last summer and will be moving into 800 next fall.

I give it 5 stars!

Kim

You can start CLE at any level, but you must take the diagnostic test first to place. CLE is challenging so don't be surprised if you have to start at a lower level than you thought you'd start at.

I did a little 600, for ex, over last summer before beginning mine in 700. I thought there were only a couple of areas my daughter would have to review in 600 before starting in 700...but the LU was SOOO GOOOD that I made her do all of the LUs I picked up for 600.

She's learning so much with this curriculum. I highly recommend it.

Kim

I love CLE, but I think it might be hard to jump into late in the sequence. I may be wrong though! Another solid choice I will also use is from Christian Liberty Press.

Applications of Grammar (Book 1 starts in 7th grade):

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/cms_content?page=1108502&sp=66044&event=1016CLP|1104135|66044

My son used Glencoe Language Arts Grammar workbook. IMO it covers a lot of topics pretty well. Here is the link to check it out. I'm not sure if there is an answer book so that is the only problem. However if you know grammar well, or can stay on top of the lessons, you should be able to figure the answers out. HTH

http://www.amazon.com/Glencoe-Language-Grammar-Workbook-Grade/dp/0078205409/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243632412&sr=8-1