Menu

I need a 100%vegetarian multi vitamin with iron.

Mr. Clever has been so TIRED the last few weeks. I know, that 13 year old boys are growing, and need a lot of sleep, but he is always tired no matter how long he sleeps.

I took him in for a check up, and his blood work showed he is borderline anemic. No wonder he does not feel good.

His doctor did not know of a good vitamin that was vegetarian, so I need to find one on my own.

I'd like to order it today, so please tell me if you know of one that might help.

Thanks!

Tammy, a lot of vitamins (especially the gummy-type ones) have gelatin which can be of animal origin..

My kids have always liked Animal Parade. I'm not sure how many an older child would need to take. We always had trouble finding one the kids liked the taste of, but they really like this one and I like that it has a lot of natural ingredients.

They used to carry it at some of the Whole Foods/Trader Joes type stores, I don't know if they still do.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NT-1932

here's another link with product details:

http://www.vitaminproshop.com/anparvit180c.html

I really like Rainbow Light vitamins. They have an iron formula here:

http://www.vitacost.com/Rainbow-Light-Complete-Iron-System

Their regular once-a-day multi vitamins do not have iron, though their children's multis do (though perhaps not as much as you would want for a 13yo). I would probably either do the children's multis with iron *or* the adult iron supplement plus a no-iron multi. (RL has several good ones.)

Tammy, a lot of vitamins (especially the gummy-type ones) have gelatin which can be of animal origin..

My kids have always liked Animal Parade. I'm not sure how many an older child would need to take. We always had trouble finding one the kids liked the taste of, but they really like this one and I like that it has a lot of natural ingredients.

They used to carry it at some of the Whole Foods/Trader Joes type stores, I don't know if they still do.

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/store/en/browse/sku_detail.jsp?id=NT-1932

here's another link with product details:

http://www.vitaminproshop.com/anparvit180c.html

We use Animal Parade (yep, me too) and like them just fine. We tried the liquid b/c the type of iron but found it . . . icky. The chewable are good, though.

Amy,

I am also trying to find vegetarian vitamins for my older dd. I did a quick check on the Animal Planet ones, and they do contain magnesium stearate. This can come from either plant or animal sources. I have to run, so I couldn't look it up any further. Good luck, and if you find the mother lode, please let me know. :001_smile:

If you want a liquid...I would try Flora-dix. It is not nasty tasting...not babyish and it doesn't upset my stomach...like other iron supplements. It absorbs very well.

If you wanbt a tablet (ummmm horse pill...) rainbow light vitamins are wonderful.

HTH

Faithe

I have to ask, did the dr. reccommend any food sources for iron? Also did he mention not to give iron at the same time as dairy? I assume you are not giving calcium supplements. Also iron is absorbed better with vitamin c, which most quality vitamins have with iron, natural iron is also absorbed better than artificial iron.

Just off the top of my head here are some foods you should add to the diet to build up the blood.

Molasses

beets (juice, capsule etc. it helps to absorb iron)

parsley

grapes

wheat germ

curry powder

black beans and other beans

green leafy vegetables

pumpkin seeds

sunflower seeds

wheat grass and powdered green food

Also try to avoid dairy and processed foods like flour and sugar.

If you have a juicer, apple, carrot and beet is a great juice. If not if you could go to a juice bar, as it needs to be fresh this helps more than anything.

If you want a liquid...I would try Flora-dix. It is not nasty tasting...not babyish and it doesn't upset my stomach...like other iron supplements. It absorbs very well.

If you wanbt a tablet (ummmm horse pill...) rainbow light vitamins are wonderful.

HTH

Faithe

I second the Floradix. Highly recommended by herbalists, doesn't constipate, etc., vegetarian, though not vegan (it has honey).

We are vegetarian + seafood. We just found out yesterday that our 15 yo dd is anemic. She eats poorly and had no iron stores (low ferritin). We called our pharmacist and she recommended any iron supplement labeled as iron gluconate or iron fumarate, as they won't upset your stomach so easily. Very little of iron supplements are actually absorbed, so the main treatment is to address the underlying cause, in our case diet.

Are you open to adding in fish?

Here's the list of foods we found that were high iron that dd would eat:

arugula

broccoli

cabbage

okra

cereal

grits

white rice had much more iron than brown :confused:

salmon, tuna

nuts

sunflower seeds

sesame sticks

going to make trail mix out of the above

Thanks for all of the help. Even after getting him on some vitamins, I will still address the problem from food standpoint. The more I research it, the more I think his problem may be related to not getting enough vitamin C.

A typical meal for him is beans and rice with a spinach salad. Even though we always keep a ton of fresh fruit around, I notice that he rarely eats any, so I just made up a gallon of fresh salsa, and told him to have some at every meal. I don't think it is going to be a problem since he has already eaten half of it.

For those with anemia, when it is bad please add center your meals and snacks around these foods:

Fruits

Raisins

plums

strawberries

dark grapes

apples

bananas

plums

apricots

veggies

spinach

alfalfa

watercress

green onions

kale

broccoli

chard

okra

squash

carrots

radishes

beets

yams

potatoes WITH SKIN

tomatoes

parsley is very high in iron

other foods

pumpkin seeds

sunflower seeds

egg yolks

black strap molasses about

black beans

sesamie seeds

peas

honey

curry powder

wheat germ

wheat germ oil about 2 tablespoons daily

nettle tea

raspberry tea for females

kelp and other seaweeds

spirulina

comfrey

black currant

fenugreek

NO white flour and white sugar. Avoid coffee and caffine. Try to avoid dairy until your blood is back to normal. Do not take calcium supplements with iron.

modified amounts of whole grains like whole wheat, buckwheat, millet, other beans and soybeans. Remember those b vitamins. If you have a juicer it is much better.

I say this because my blood count was down to 5.9 before and this is how I got it up to normal.

I specifically did not mention meat and liver for the vegitarians.

Edited by MomLovesClassics