Menu

The Illiad and Troy: What books for 1st grade?

I had Black Ships Before Troy picked out, but now I am not so sure. Of course, I have some ideas but I wanted to see if I could narrow it down some without reading them all to DD. ;) I love Green's Tales from Ancient Egypt, so his version is definitely in the running.

So... what was your favorite and why?

TIA!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I had Black Ships Before Troy picked out, but now I am not so sure. Of course, I have some ideas but I wanted to see if I could narrow it down some without reading them all to DD. ;) I love Green's Tales from Ancient Egypt, so his version is definitely in the running.

So... what was your favorite and why?

TIA!

For a read aloud Carmen?

My son (who will be 5 this July) and I just finished the Black Ships Before Troy/The Wanderings of Odysseus books as our nightly bed-time story. To say he loved these would be a huge understatement. But it took a while. Zzzzzzzzzzz

We also read Neil Phillip's The Adventures of Odysseus which is the Odyssey only. This is quite good too, and much shorter.

We've now moved onto In Search of A Homeland (a re-telling of the Aeneid by Penelope Lively) which is intended by the publisher to be a companion piece with the Sutcliff books. So far were enjoying this one too.

Tonight Aeneas met Queen Dido in Carthage.

And last night we got to re-visit our old friend Polyphemus. If my son could hear the story of this cyclops getting his eye poked out once, he could hear it a thousand times :D

Last nights impromptu Math Quiz? If Polyphemus had one eye, and it got poked out, how many eyes would Polyphemus have left?

He got it right :lol:

I digress.

Bill (who if I had one eye poked out would look like ;))

I have the Oddysey by McCaughrean. Love it. I planned on the Aeneid, thanks for the suggestion. There are so many great books, the problem is narrowing it down, really. They have to fit in a 36 week schedule, and not cost an arm and a leg if one chooses to buy them all. (which I vastly prefer, personally)

And now I am off to bed.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

My 6yo dd and 4yo ds LOVED Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus. Loved them. Also HUGE hits were D'Aulaire's Greek Myths and the Orchard Book of Roman Myths (McCaughrean), some of which touch on those topics. 4yo couldn't get into Padraic Colum, but my 6yo LOVES The Children's Homer (especially the audiobook read by Robert Whitfield for Blackstone Audiobooks). Rounding out the best o' the best was Theras and His Town.

The only misstep was, strangely enough, In Search of a Homeland. I think the problem was that the pictures were too "abstract" (fuzzy, IYKWIM) to be able to hold my 4yo's attention, and he's just too distracting to "leave behind." So we had to drop it.

If you do make it through Homeland, though, be sure to check out clips of Purcell's Dido and Aeneas on YouTube--particularly Dido's Lament. My kids LOVE to watch Dido's swan song. They're sick that way. ;)

We read (or rather, tried) several children's versions of the Iliad:Nick McCarty, Ian Strachan, and Padraic Colum. My kids did not like them. My son said they were boring and my daughter said that there was too much fighting in them.

However, my kids LOVED the Odyssey stories we read: Mary Pope Osborne's Tales From the Odyssey (don't let the fact that it's the author of Magic Tree House put you off; these are EXCELLENT for little kids), Geraldine McCaughrean's version, and The Legend of Odysseus by Peter Connolly.

Tara

We read (or rather, tried) several children's versions of the Iliad:Nick McCarty, Ian Strachan, and Padraic Colum. My kids did not like them. My son said they were boring and my daughter said that there was too much fighting in them.

However, my kids LOVED the Odyssey stories we read: Mary Pope Osborne's Tales From the Odyssey (don't let the fact that it's the author of Magic Tree House put you off; these are EXCELLENT for little kids), Geraldine McCaughrean's version, and The Legend of Odysseus by Peter Connolly.

Tara

I tried the longer written versions, and didn't really get anywhere, so I went to this Audiobook:

http://www.amazon.com/Tale-Troy-Benjamin-Soames/dp/B0000045NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1243259137&sr=8-1

It wasn't the 10x do over that MPOborne's Odyssey was, but it was listened to twice, all the way through.

Either Sutcliff or Padraic Colum. Colum is a slightly easier read aloud because his prose style is a little less convoluted than Sutcliff's, but we love both. I think the major point of attraction for us in both versions is the use of language.

Colum's The Adventures of Odysseus and the Tale of Troy is available online if you wish to check it out.

My kids very much enjoyed Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus at that age. They also loved Mary Pope Osborne's Tales from the Odyssey, but those are such easy books to read, I had the kids read them themselves (they're written at roughly a late 2nd grade level or so, so you may hold off and let him read those later, whenever he's ready).

Wow! Such great suggestions. Thanks. I was going to reply to everyone, but I would be quoting every post.

I have the step into reading book on order. I will look for picture books again. I haven't seen any so far. :o

I will check out the version online. That's great that I get to preview!

Looks like the jury is out on versions of The Illiad. :) I will probably check out Green's first, since we really liked his other book. I will check out Mary Pope Osborne too. DD is not quite ready to read it independently. She has the ability, but not the desire. :) Maybe we could take turns.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I must admit, I have always enjoyed The Oddysey (and Jason) more than The Illiad. I had to read The Illiad in my 7th grade reading class and we all signed each other's copies when it was over. We were so relieved.

I think the first time that I enjoyed the story of the Trojan War was when I saw Brad Pitt as Achilles. :D

Here are the children's books my library has about the Trojan horse:

The Trojan horse : the fall of Troy : a Greek legend - Ron Fontes 48 pp.

Voices of the Trojan War - Kate Hovey 117 pp.

The Iliad and the Odyssey in Greek Mythology - Karen Bornemann Spies 128 pp.

Mystery History of the Trojan War - Jim Pipe 32 pp.

The Trojan Horse - Warwick Hutton (unpaged)

The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War - Emily Little 48 pp.

The Trojan Horse - James Reeves 32 pp.

HTH!

Tara

Also HUGE hits were D'Aulaire's Greek Myths ;)

I'm glad that someone else is reading the myths to their little ones. My husband, because I bought it for them to read...., is reading the D'Aulaire's Myths...and I was wondering if they were a bit too morbid for a 5 year old. He seems to love them!

Also, I have Jim Weiss' cds for my kids to listen to....all the ones from SOTW I to SOTW II, except for the Henty cds.

Carrie:-)

I was wondering if they were a bit too morbid for a 5 year old.

My kids were either 5/6 or newly 6/7 when we read these ( don't remember exactly) and they LOVED them! They especially loved it when people got their heads chopped off.

Tara

My kids were either 5/6 or newly 6/7 when we read these ( don't remember exactly) and they LOVED them! They especially loved it when people got their heads chopped off.

Tara

LOL! I have the Illustrated Book of Myths from DK and I don't let Emily look at it alone. Every time I get it out she is so excited.

Here are the children's books my library has about the Trojan horse:

The Trojan horse : the fall of Troy : a Greek legend - Ron Fontes 48 pp.

Voices of the Trojan War - Kate Hovey 117 pp.

The Iliad and the Odyssey in Greek Mythology - Karen Bornemann Spies 128 pp.

Mystery History of the Trojan War - Jim Pipe 32 pp.

The Trojan Horse - Warwick Hutton (unpaged)

The Trojan Horse: How the Greeks Won the War - Emily Little 48 pp.

The Trojan Horse - James Reeves 32 pp.

HTH!

Tara

Wow thanks! I like to get picture books when I can. (In addition to read alouds, if need be.)

They especially loved it when people got their heads chopped off.

Tara

"Decapitations" are always a favorite at our house :lol:

I really like The Macmillan Book of Greek Gods and Heros by Alice Low. And prefer it (slightly, because both are good) to D'Aulaire's Greek Myths .

Bill

In a blatant attempt to hijack the thread.

Any suggestions on where to go after the Iliad/Odyssey/Aeneid cycle?

My son was disappointed when "Odysseus" was over and I placated him by saying the Aeneid was sort of like Part III. Big mistake.

Because then he asked about Part IV. And I said there really isn't a Part IV.

Not the answer he wanted to hear. So stupidly I tossed out the idea that guess Dante's Inferno was sort of like a Part IV. Another big mistake.

The child forgets nothing. He keeps saying next we read The Inferno! :lol:

I don't think he even know what "the inferno" means. I just think he like the sound of it. *Sigh*

Me and my big mouth.

So anyone want to help me find another Part IV? Or close enough.

Bill

My son was disappointed when "Odysseus" was over and I placated him by saying the Aeneid was sort of like Part III. Big mistake.

Because then he asked about Part IV. And I said there really isn't a Part IV.

Not the answer he wanted to hear. So stupidly I tossed out the idea that guess Dante's Inferno was sort of like a Part IV. Another big mistake.

The child forgets nothing. He keeps saying next we read The Inferno! :lol:

I don't think he even know what "the inferno" means. I just think he like the sound of it. *Sigh*

Me and my big mouth.

So anyone want to help me find another Part IV? Or close enough.

Bill

Well. You might consider moving on to other gory tales. Ooops, I mean exciting tales. At your son's age, my boys enjoyed a retelling of Beowulf very much. I'll have to think to remember what that one was.

We've been listening to the audio books of the "real" Iliad & Odyssey, translated by Fagles. We're only part way through the Odyssey, have the Aeneid waiting, and my son is asking what we're going to do when we finish. Then he answered his own question, "Start over!"

Well, my idea was that Aenied is a bridge between the Greeks and Romans, but I haven't picked out anything yet. I am just thrilled to be done with Egyptians.:tongue_smilie:

Okay, am I losing my marbles or did we have this SpyCar, Nicole M, and I'm glad to be done with Egyptians line of posts before??? I swear I'm reading what I have already read!!!

We spent a lot of time with Hindu Gods and Goddesses. I'll dig up our resources later today. If you're looking for something more western, there's always the Norse cycle. Padraic Colum has an excellent version, The Children of Odin (though it also goes by another title as well). Balwin has a good treatment of Sigurd entitled The Story of Seigfried. Barbara Leonie Picard's German Hero-sagas and Folk-tales is highly readable (about 1/3 of the books is Sigurd/Seigfried and Gudrun). Sutcliff has a deliciously gorey version of Beowulf, but IIRC you've already been there. Colum's The King of Ireland's Son is a fantastic read.

Well. You might consider moving on to other gory tales. Ooops, I mean exciting tales. At your son's age, my boys enjoyed a retelling of Beowulf very much. I'll have to think to remember what that one was.

We've read half a dozen versions of Beowulf, so you are on the right track. Big time. And a ton of Hercules stories. And lots of King Arthur.

I need something new. And great.

We've been listening to the audio books of the "real" Iliad & Odyssey, translated by Fagles. We're only part way through the Odyssey, have the Aeneid waiting, and my son is asking what we're going to do when we finish. Then he answered his own question, "Start over!"

I listened to the Fagles Aeneid CD while commuting. It was very good. It was a library copy and I didn't get through it all. Must re-order.

I think William would be just as happy to start "Odysseus" all over again. Boys! :lol:

Bill

In jest, I will suggest Njal's Saga. 200 pages of blood revenge, and a real page-turner. (And one of the best books I've ever read.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nj%C3%A1ls_saga

http://www.amazon.com/Njals-Saga-Classics-Magnus-Magnusson/dp/0140441034

In jest, I will suggest Njal's Saga. 200 pages of blood revenge, and a real page-turner. (And one of the best books I've ever read.)

Drool. At least I have a gift certificate.

I think William would be just as happy to start "Odysseus" all over again. Boys! :lol:

Bill

Have you listened to the Odds Bodkin retelling of the Odyssey? My boys loved that, and still quote it. Or they did, until we listened to the Iliad. Now it's, "Die! Die! Swim with the fishies!"

Is there an "illustrated version". We're still at the age were gore without picture ain't cutting it :D

Bill

Have you listened to the Odds Bodkin retelling of the Odyssey? My boys loved that, and still quote it. Or they did, until we listened to the Iliad. Now it's, "Die! Die! Swim with the fishies!"

No. I don't even know what you are talking about? Odds Bodkin?

Bill

I need something new. And great.

Bill

Have you done 1000 and 1 Nights?

The Hobbit?

Grimm and Anderson? They have some gruesome themes.

(I'm a believer in children lapping up gruesome themes not because they are going to move onto animal cruelty and human dismemberment, but as a way of coping with their fears. The other day my son asked me "When are we going to be conquered?" I answered "Probably not in your lifetime." :) )

Okay, am I losing my marbles or did we have this SpyCar, Nicole M, and I'm glad to be done with Egyptians line of posts before??? I swear I'm reading what I have already read!!!

Not me. because I'm starting to think Egyptians/Romans might be the ticket.

Pompey getting his head cut off would be perfect!

Bill (happy for thrilling, very well written and illustrated sweeping adventures)

Have you done 1000 and 1 Nights?

Only a few excerpted stories.

The Hobbit?

I think I'll save this for later, for him to read himself.

Grimm and Anderson? They have some gruesome themes.

(I'm a believer in children lapping up gruesome themes not because they are going to move onto animal cruelty and human dismemberment, but as a way of coping with their fears. The other day my son asked me "When are we going to be conquered?" I answered "Probably not in your lifetime." :) )

I leave these for he and Mommy. I'm not such a fan of psychological terror. They on the other hand lap it up. I prefer my *violence* to be heroic and somewhat simple-minded :D

Bill

No. I don't even know what you are talking about? Odds Bodkin?

Bill

http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Telling-Bodkin-Musical-Collection/dp/1882412184/ref=ed_oe_a

Here's more info on the man himself:

http://www.oddsbodkin.com/OddsOnline.htm

I know there is a preference among many classical homeschoolers to avoid dramatized readings of classics, but this man is an artist.

Can you list your favorites?

Snipped from an earlier thread here are some Beowulf picks.

U

1) Beowulf: A Hero's Tale Retold by James Rumford. My favorite! If we only had ONE this would be IT.

2)Beowulf By Gareth Hinds. My son's favorite. This one is done is "graphic novel" style and I'm sure was intended for somewhat older readers. MY son loves the graphic battles and clashes, but it ain't "My Little Pony". For us it was the perfect follow-up to (1) but I can't say it wouldn't be too "violent" for some parents.

[Added: The graphic-novel style might really appeal to middle schoolers. It was not over-the-top, although it clearly shows pitched fighting.

3) Beowulf by Michael Morpurgo. Another solid picture-book version. Similar to (1). Highly recommended. But by the time we read this one they are starting to "blur" (a good thing). [Edit: as the coffee kicks in I recall this version has a more extended text to picture ratio than (1). By the time we read this one William was "hooked" and he "listened" in rapt attention.

4) The hero Beowulf Eric A. Kimmel. I love Eric Kimmel as an author of children's books, but this was not his finest effort. Things were "added" to the story (why?) and it covers only through the fight with Grendel. So while it was nice to have one more version, this would not serve as a sole stand-alone re-telling by my measure. Not a thumbs down, but not a two thumbs up.

The Talbot Hudson King Arthur series was terrific!

For Hercules we enjoyed James Riordan's The Twelve Labors of Hercules and Robert Burleigh's Hercules. There were other Hercules stories, but my mind is drawing a blank.

Bill

Snipped from an earlier thread here are some Beowulf picks.

The Talbot Hudson King Arthur series was terrific!

For Hercules we enjoyed James Riordan's The Twelve Labors of Hercules and Robert Burleigh's Hercules. There were other Hercules stories, but my mind is drawing a blank.

Bill

:cool: Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/Odyssey-Telling-Bodkin-Musical-Collection/dp/1882412184/ref=ed_oe_a

Here's more info on the man himself:

http://www.oddsbodkin.com/OddsOnline.htm

I know there is a preference among many classical homeschoolers to avoid dramatized readings of classics, but this man is an artist.

Coolsville. There is a sample online here:

http://www.oddsbodkin.com/store/page.php?page=dd_theodyssey

We have done almost no stories on CD. Not that I'm against them (I'm not). We just haven't. This one seems very imaginative. Thank you for the recommendation!

Bill

I"m happy to say i own more than the AUdible version of Mary Pope Osborne (which the kids loved).

I just discovered i own The Children's Homer! LOL!! Nothing like fixing the titles in iTunes so they don't say, "unknown" so you know what you have! LOL!! :tongue_smilie:

Edited by TraceyS/FL

I have Sir Richard Burton's, but it's a little steamy for the young one.
Alderson and Foreman is true to that spirit without being explicit. I didn't want to read a sanitized version.

Alderson and Foreman is true to that spirit without being explicit. I didn't want to read a sanitized version.

I begin my quest to find this work. Thank you!

Bill

ETA: It's in the library system, and I've got in on order.

Edited by Spy Car

I begin my quest to find this work.
It's OOP. This is the one we have It's hardcover and is cheaper used than the paperback version.

Wait. We don't like Geraldine Mccaughrean's? That's next up on my son's required reading list (he's 12), which he discovered while I was at work. He emailed me, protesting that he did not want to read it because, "The Saracens had like seven wives!" I suppose he likes to keep his gore free of any tinge of romance or love. Is the A & F nice and bloody?

Wait. We don't like Geraldine Mccaughrean's?
I haven't read McCaughrean's. The only version reasonably priced when I was shopping around was a cheap paperback.

That's next up on my son's required reading list (he's 12), which he discovered while I was at work. He emailed me, protesting that he did not want to read it because, "The Saracens had like seven wives!" I suppose he likes to keep his gore free of any tinge of romance or love. Is the A & F nice and bloody?
There is: naked dancing, drinking, eunuchs, harems, implied sexual acts (subtle enough that young children probably won't pick them up), infidelity, farting (major plot point in one story), a dismembered corpse sewn back together, and yes a fair bit of violence. It's written in high Victorian style as an accessible approximation of rhythm and manner of the original, and the author acknowledges that some people will object to this. Versions do exist without these things, but I would suggest that it's better to wait if you find these things objectionable rather than to read something completely sanitized. Lang is similar to Alderson, though I don't recall as much implied sexual content. It might be the better choice for a child wanting more blood and less romance. For youngers needing pictures, Alderson with its gorgeous watercolours is a better choice than Lang.

Bill, have you seen the Ludmilla Zeman's three volume picture book version of Sindbad? These are not to be missed. She also has a three volume Gilgamesh.