Menu

The Illiad and Troy: What books for 1st grade?

We have done almost no stories on CD. Not that I'm against them (I'm not). We just haven't. This one seems very imaginative. Thank you for the recommendation!

Most of ours have been in the car - we live "an hour" from just about everything we do :auto:

Time to get back in the habit of listening to them in there, since i have a bunch coming from the library too. But they have also been listening to some at lunch time by choice, hence i'm loading up my iPod for them to use then too instead of carting the laptop around.

I haven't read McCaughrean's. The only version reasonably priced when I was shopping around was a cheap paperback.

There is: naked dancing, drinking, eunuchs, harems, implied sexual acts (subtle enough that young children probably won't pick them up), infidelity, farting (major plot point in one story), a dismembered corpse sewn back together, and yes a fair bit of violence. It's written in high Victorian style as an accessible approximation of rhythm and manner of the original, and the author acknowledges that some people will object to this. Versions do exist without these things, but I would suggest that it's better to wait if you find these things objectionable rather than to read something completely sanitized. Lang is similar to Alderson, though I don't recall as much implied sexual content. It might be the better choice for a child wanting more blood and less romance. For youngers needing pictures, Alderson with its gorgeous watercolours is a better choice than Lang.

He'll like it, then, as long as there isn't too much actual love. Mating, who cares. But love. Blech.

Bill, have you seen the Ludmilla Zeman's three volume picture book version of Sindbad? These are not to be missed. She also has a three volume Gilgamesh.

I'll just butt in here and mention that my boys loved the Gilgamesh series. They still get it out sometimes, to look at the pictures. I didn't realize she had a Sinbad series, too.

Thanks, Moira.

Switch to the barbarians: Siegfried (German), norse myths, Sundiata (real guy in history), Kalevala (Finnish), or Russian tales...or Turkish...or Chinese.

Do you have an treasures to recommend that combine fine writing and great illustrations?

Bill

Bill, have you seen the Ludmilla Zeman's three volume picture book version of Sindbad? These are not to be missed. She also has a three volume Gilgamesh.

No I haven't see those. I did read him her Gilgamesh series, although there is no way he will remember (as he was barely verbal at the time :tongue_smilie:).

Tell me I'm not the only one whose read stories to infants that they can't possibly understand (or can they? :D)

Bill

Do you have an treasures to recommend that combine fine writing and great illustrations?

Bill

For the Kalevala, see if you can find Louhi, Witch of North Farm:

http://www.amazon.com/Louhi-Witch-North-Farm-Finlands/dp/0140505296/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1243290503&sr=1-1

(She was having a witch-witch-witchy kind of day and gets into all kinds of mischief.)

Gilgamesh is even better, and if you like these, you'll like

http://www.amazon.com/Lugalbanda-Caught-Ancient-Aesop-Awards/dp/0763627828

It is about Gilgamesh's father.

Boy, are we tearing up the pea-patch on this thread!

Edited by kalanamak

we are reading BSBT even though we are only working on pre-school at the moment. DD1 loves it & DD@ sits enamoured- it has a nice rhythm to it.

We will read it again when she is in 1st grade.

I just happened to read through book one of Mary Pope Osborns series (I'd have to look up the name for you). It was an interesting read, but the cyclops chapter was a bit gory for a young child (I found the book in our 'tween' section). If you left that chapter out, it may be worthwhile also.

HTH.

Robyn

I just happened to read through book one of Mary Pope Osborns series (I'd have to look up the name for you). It was an interesting read, but the cyclops chapter was a bit gory for a young child (I found the book in our 'tween' section). If you left that chapter out, it may be worthwhile also
Depends on the young child. Mine not only revel in such gore, they act it out.

No I haven't see those. I did read him her Gilgamesh series, although there is no way he will remember (as he was barely verbal at the time :tongue_smilie:).

Tell me I'm not the only one whose read stories to infants that they can't possibly understand (or can they? :D)

Nope. I read "Sinbad the Sailor" the first time through with my son lying on top of me, and he liked it! ;) I think whatever's interesting to you and your kids, works.

My boys poured over this book when we read the Iliad & Odyssey. Can't get enough of those warrior pictures! :)

The Ancient Greece of Odysseus 0199105324

http://tinyurl.com/r82rr9

yvonne

This looks right up our alley. Thanks!

DD has had Star Wars novels read to her as she fell asleep.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

I started reading BSBT to DD today. Why was I avoiding this one? :001_huh: It is wonderful! The story and style are engaging. DD enjoyed it and the pictures are a wonderful addition to the book. I am now considering Sutcliff for the Aenid. I have Geralding McCaughren for The Odyssey and I plan to get Mary Pope Osborn's to compare before deciding which one to read to DD.

I hated the DK reader. The extras are interesting, but DD and I have ADD and it was way to busy for me to focus on reading it. I don't know if children without ADD will have that problem, but I sure do. I am keeping it as a good resource but just reading it through doesn't work around here.

I really liked The Trojan Horse; How the Greeks Won the War by Emily Little. It was a good shorter choice for the Iliad story and I finally understand where the different kings came from.:tongue_smilie:

I started reading BSBT to DD today. Why was I avoiding this one? :001_huh: It is wonderful! The story and style are engaging. DD enjoyed it and the pictures are a wonderful addition to the book. I am now considering Sutcliff for the Aenid.

Unless you know something I don't there is a Sutcliff follow up for the Odyssey (The Wanderings of Odysseus) but the Aeneid in this series is by Penelope Lively (In Search of a Homeland).

We actually finished "the Aeneid" last night.

Bill

Just another note about the Aeneid: the Church version was disappointing all around. The Yesterday's Classics version that I ordered did not have any of the pictures that were on mainlesson and bragged about on Amazon, and within the first 3 pages or so there is very graphic violence (beheadings in front of family members and mistreatment of dead bodies). That doesn't need to be in the grammar stage IMO. My DD would have nightmares.

Unless you know something I don't there is a Sutcliff follow up for the Odyssey (The Wanderings of Odysseus) but the Aeneid in this series is by Penelope Lively (In Search of a Homeland).

We actually finished "the Aeneid" last night.

Bill

Oh. Apparently you know something I don't. Well I didn't want to do three books from the same series in a row. I was trying to avoid 2. Okay. So I am thinking of Penelope Lively for the Aeneid. (I knew I mispelled it,;) but I don't take time to edit when Naking.)

Just another note about the Aeneid: the Church version was disappointing all around. The Yesterday's Classics version that I ordered did not have any of the pictures that were on mainlesson and bragged about on Amazon, and within the first 3 pages or so there is very graphic violence (beheadings in front of family members and mistreatment of dead bodies). That doesn't need to be in the grammar stage IMO. My DD would have nightmares.

Oh. Apparently you know something I don't. Well I didn't want to do three books from the same series in a row. I was trying to avoid 2. Okay. So I am thinking of Penelope Lively for the Aeneid. (I knew I mispelled it,;) but I don't take time to edit when Naking.)

I would do the Wanderings of Odysseus over the "Aeneid" any day. It's a better story. Gets away from constant battles. And is rich in cultural touch-stones.

Go with #2.

Bill

So, Bill what is up next?

I think we will "tap-dance" by finishing up Alice Low's book on greek Gods and Heroes (I like this one very much).

But I'd really like to move to the founding of Rome. And the Roman Empire.

And maybe the Punic Wars?

Any suggestions for an almost 5 year old (who's NOT sensitive)?

Bill :bigear:

Quick viewpoint question for y'all:

I feel like one of the things to take away from studying ancient Greece is to retain information about the Greek Gods. To that end I have that information repeated in my lessons in different ways and one book read through twice. Do you see a problem with this?

Go Norse, young man, go Norse! (LOL)

Seriously, there are a lot of scandanavian/finnish/german myth cycles. Sigurd, the Kalevala, the Eddas. D'Aulaire has a book of Norse myths, too, full of creepy-looking trolls. Celtic myths next, which connects up to the Arthur cycle.

There is a kids' version of Dante, retold by a priest, but I can't find the title right now. Found it on Amazon, tho'.

Was this it? Dante's Divine Comedy: As Told for Young People http://www.amazon.com/Dantes-Divine-Comedy-Young-People/dp/1881901297/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245450781&sr=1-2

And maybe the Punic Wars?

Any suggestions for an almost 5 year old (who's NOT sensitive)?

It's not Horrible, but it is Wicked: Hannibal: Rome's Worst Nightmare. You can get a feel for the book using the surprise me feature (at least one head is tossed back onto the battlefield). We used Mary MacGregor's The Story of Rome (via Lively Latin) for the Hannibal, but I would have preferred something a bit more gory.

He might enjoy a few of the Rome related Horrible "Dead Famous" books -- Spartacus, Julius Caesar and Cleopatra.

Black Ships Before Troy proved to be too violent and morbid (for us).

I found it! My favorite.

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Troy-Ulysses-Sacker-Cities/dp/1419150723

I love this one. I am about half way through. It is a nice shorter book for younger ones, yet includes important details like the luck of Troy and Achilles heel.

Edited by Lovedtodeath