Menu

Anyone remember this? a post about music curric. that teaches the "grammar" of music?

I don't remember the post you're referencing; but, could you explain a little more what you mean? Are you thinking about instrument lessons and theory? Music history (especially in relation to whatever time period/culture you're studying)? Lives/Major works of representative composers/time periods? That might help people give you some information.

*my memory* of the post was that the curric. in question did a great job of building a foundation in music...more so in concepts and terms related to music theory and application rather than history or composers. I remember it being described as giving those basic "pegs" that would be useful in any music study.

I feel like I'm still not explaining it well (mainly because my memory is fuzzy about it!).

*my memory* of the post was that the curric. in question did a great job of building a foundation in music...more so in concepts and terms related to music theory and application rather than history or composers. I remember it being described as giving those basic "pegs" that would be useful in any music study.

I feel like I'm still not explaining it well (mainly because my memory is fuzzy about it!).

Do you want your kids to study music theory? I'm sorry, I'm probably being dense about this. It seems to me that learning the concepts and terms related to music theory is learning music theory. If this is the case, then I'd suggest picking up a theory book from any one of a number of piano books (Alfred's, Faber's, etc). Most piano programs have lesson, theory, technique, and repertoire books for each level. If you start with a Primer level theory book, that ought to get you started.