Menu

How do you store your bulk items? (sugar, flour, etc)

With six of us in the family, and making almost everything from scratch.... we go through a LOT of flour, rice, beans, sugar, oats, etc.

I just hate the bags that flour comes in. They're so messy and inefficient. I have some canisters on the counter-top, but they hardly hold anything, and I'm constantly refilling them.

I've thought of buying some big rubbermaid containers, but that seems inefficient as far as carrying them from the pantry to the work area every time I want to use them.

How do YOU store these things? And please, if you have some nifty storage device, please tell me where it can be purchased....

Thanks, Jackie

We fill large plastic, glass, and metal canisters with flour, rice, etc. and then use packing tape to seal the original bags closed until they are needed for refills. Otherwise, we would risk bugs in the flour or attracting mice. We store buckwheat in the freezer in a ziploc.

I have several really large Tupperware containers. Some inherited from my MIL, some are the newer ones. I love having the modular stuff. I have one shelft and it holds sugar, flour, brown sugar, powder sugar, and oatmeal all in fairly large containers. They stack and take up less room that way.

What doesn't fit in the Tupperware, I store in the freezer. I think somedays I have more spices and flour than I do meat!

I buy 4 or 5-gallon plastic buckets from the bakery dept at my grocery store for my bulk storage. They're usually very inexpensive (I think I paid $1 for the last one) and have worked very well for me for the last 15 years. When dh was working at a hotel/restaurant, he was able to get me some buckets that are square, instead of round, and those are fantastic for taking up less room, but I've only got a couple of them . . .

Right now just in those XXL Ziploc bags.

I need other containers, but buying stuff for "me" to store food isn't high on the STBXHs list :glare:

I also have a decent selection of Tupperware's pantry stuff - but the 25# bags of flour aren't working in them.

The stuff i've bought at Sam's isn't as airtight as i'd like, and Costco has really gotten out of the restaurant supply biz these days. I could go for a Smart and Final trip - but they aren't in FL. HMPH. LOL, i need a replacement here in ORlando!

I'd like the King Arthur flour containers or the ones that were posted that are liners for regular cheap 5gal buckets (i have that link somewhere... it was posted here).

I buy 4 or 5-gallon plastic buckets from the bakery dept at my grocery store for my bulk storage. They're usually very inexpensive (I think I paid $1 for the last one) and have worked very well for me for the last 15 years. When dh was working at a hotel/restaurant, he was able to get me some buckets that are square, instead of round, and those are fantastic for taking up less room, but I've only got a couple of them . . .

I'd try a different store. All the stores in our area just give them away. We usually pick up 3-5 buckets just by asking.

I have a tiny nook off my kitchen that I converted to a pantry by adding cheap Ikea shelving. It looks like the after photo for a Tupperware add. I have probably $400 of Modular Mates by Tupperware in there that holds everything...various types of pasta, flours, sugars, baking powder, baking salt, salt, corn starch, beans, etc. I also have 8 gallon size glass jars.

ETA: I was sure glad we had everything in Tupperware when we found a mouse in the pantry. Wiped down the outside of the containers and the food was all safe.

Edited by joannqn

For flours and sugar, I use the big Tupperware containers with the pouring flap... They hold 5lbs of flour.

For things I use in smaller quantities, I use mason jars (generally quarts, but some 1/2 gallon).

Anything that is not currently being used, I put up in appropriate quantities for the working containers - so 5lbs flour, etc - in Foodsaver bags. We buy just about everything in bulk and developed pantry moths so I'm very fastidious about this.

I reuse containers. When we purchase ice cream, we buy the big 5-gallon buckets, and when we get done with them, I wash them out. I use those for flour, sugar, soaking laundry, etc. For stuff that would be too heavy for those buckets, we also buy pickles in bulk. When those are gone, I wash (and wash and wash to get the scent out) the huge glass jars. Those are great for beans, pastas, things like that.

If you are talking about large quantities of flour, rice, etc from places such as Costco or Sams, I use 5 gallon plastic buckets and Gamma Seal Lids from Pleasant Hill Grains. Part of the lid is more permanent on the bucket and then the top screws on and off easily, and it is waterproof. I use these for all my grain storage and stack them on the pantry floor.

For smaller quantities like around 10lbs of flour, I use metal sealable cannisters such as this jumbo one. I bought mine at a Pottery Barn Outlet and it is painted white, but the concept is still the same. I don't have any trouble with mine sealing, but I see the some people on Amazon did (may have to go to store and try out). I stack these in the pantry also on shelves.

I, too, use some Tupperware-expensive though and other containers left over from ice cream, but the ones above are my go to containers for quantities.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I really like the ideas of the ice cream buckets and the 5 gallon buckets from bakeries, etc. I like them because they're cheap:tongue_smilie:. But I'm wondering about the quality of the seal on the lids.... especially on the ice cream containers?

Also, my kiddos are in the kitchen a lot, and I really hesitate to store things in mason jars. That looks like a wreck waiting to happen :ohmy:.

I would really love to have those nice, stackable, plastic containers. They look so nice and organized. But I'll really have to make that a priority as far as $$ goes. They're pretty pricey!

Anything like that out there that isn't quite so expensive?

Thanks, Jackie

...But I'm wondering about the quality of the seal on the lids.... especially on the ice cream containers?

If you can get the 5 gallon buckets from the bakeries, gamma seal lids should fit those just fine. They have a ring that snaps down over the top of a standard bucket, and a lid that screws into the ring.

We use a mix of buckets like these and 6 gallon buckets with gamma seal lids.

Thanks for all the great ideas. I really like the ideas of the ice cream buckets and the 5 gallon buckets from bakeries, etc. I like them because they're cheap:tongue_smilie:. But I'm wondering about the quality of the seal on the lids.... especially on the ice cream containers?

Some of the buckets I've gotten seal better than others - just depends on the make of the bucket. Some of mine have removable rubber gaskets in the lids and some don't, and actually the lids w/o the gaskets seem to have held up better to being opened and closed than the lids with.

I'd try a different store. All the stores in our area just give them away. We usually pick up 3-5 buckets just by asking.

Guess it depends on where you live - in the 5 different cities (2 states) we've lived, I think the only ones we got for free were the ones when dh worked at the hotel.

I use the Snapware containers... they fit very well in my pantry. I have large food-grade containers for flour that I got from Smart and Final. They also fit in the pantry, on the bottom shelf. Oh, and Rubbermaid containers made especially for cereal... easy-pour.

Smart and Final had the best prices, followed by Costco and Walmart. Target was uber-expensive.

I would really love to have those nice, stackable, plastic containers. They look so nice and organized. But I'll really have to make that a priority as far as $$ goes. They're pretty pricey!

Anything like that out there that isn't quite so expensive?

Thanks, Jackie

I took a couple of years building up my Tupperware supply. I held a couple of parties and earned some of them for half price and some for free. I also just bought them through her when they were on sale. My consultant tallies up my purchases over time until I have a "party" and earn more half price and free items. She was a friend before she was my consultant.