Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Feb 2018

Granny_Weatherwax

Made it to the gym this morning by virtue of desperately needing to wash my hair.  I figured that if I got to the gym, I could figure out something to do that would make me need a shower - and voila - success!  I had to get to work early so I couldn't stay long but I managed 30 minutes on the bike.

• Like 5

Made it to the gym this morning by virtue of desperately needing to wash my hair.  I figured that if I got to the gym, I could figure out something to do that would make me need a shower - and voila - success!  I had to get to work early so I couldn't stay long but I managed 30 minutes on the bike.

That is my motivation to exercise some mornings, too.  :laugh:

• Like 3

Weather is gorgeous this morning, close to record highs expected. Dd1 and I took a 20 min walk this morning before breakfast then after breakfast all the girls and I did a 20 min bike ride. I think we'll try to squeeze in another bike or walk at lunch. I got a couple of short hill sprints on my bike too (the good and bad of living on a hill).

Edited by soror
  • Like 5

Since last I posted, my debit card was compromised to the tune of over $950 in pending charges (which were reported as fraud and have since fallen off), the third of my three children came down with the GI bug the first child had which has put me on edge seeing as only the afults remain healthy, and I have gotten two workouts in. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m done with February. It can go away now.

Dh and I did go to the gym and ran on the treadmill. I enjoy running with him anytime, but since heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a faster runner than me, when we run on the treadmill I can go my own pace and he can go his. That way my easy runs are easy and he can run fast enough so that his easy runs arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t too easy if that makes sense. I did cross training yesterday on the bike.

Today, dh and I will go run together. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s warm enough to go running outside, but puddles and a chance for rain means weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll likely run on the treadmill again. I am not a huge treadmill fan, but I think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s growing on me.

Sparkly - Woohoo on going anyway!

SarahCB - For me, I think it helps to reframe things as Ă¢â‚¬Å“no big deal, things humans do, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a one time thing, and not a sign of anything bigger than thatĂ¢â‚¬ rather than out too much focus on the things I did Ă¢â‚¬Å“wrong.Ă¢â‚¬ Otherwise, you risk making it a self-fulfilling prophecy. When they look at people who are successful in the long term, this ability to take these things in stride and avoid putting too much emphasis on it was one of the difference they had with those who were not successful. So, hey, youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re normal! And todayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s another day. :D

Soror - the slaw sounds yummy! I like mine with tang, too!

• Like 4

whew...victory

I had ZERO energy and my motivation was in the negative.  LOL  I went to the stupid gym anyway.  Go me!

Yay! Did yo feel any better afterwards? I usually do.

Weather is gorgeous this morning, close to record highs expected. Dd1 and I took a 20 min walk this morning before breakfast then after breakfast all the girls and I did a 20 min bike ride. I think we'll try to squeeze in another bike or walk at lunch. I got a couple of short hill sprints on my bike too (the good and bad of living on a hill).

That sounds lovely!

Lots of the "big" kids at the club are going to the Junior Olympics, so yesterday it was pretty empty. I mostly fenced with DD, and felt like a complete idiot. I mean, how many times can a normal human being repeat the same mistake again and again? Apparently, I can do it for 40 minutes. My hormones are at the nasty level right now, so it made for a very hard evening.

Private lesson today, plus some target practice. I hope some veterans will show up for open fencing tomorrow.

• Like 4

Today, I got in a 60 min walk with 30 min of embedded jogging intervals. It was a beautiful spring-like day (I wore shorts!) and there was a stunning sunset. So nice. Came home and hung around for a couple hours hoping dh could go to the gym with me, but he wasn't able to finish a work project that needs to be done tonight. So I went alone and did my strength training. i did trapezius stretches on the way home in the car, and then did some hamstring, shoulder, and chest stretches (all my tightest points). I didn't do the rest of my flexibility because I am whomped. I put in over 18,500 steps including the dedicated walk/run. 

Tomorrow is a travel day, so not likely that I'll get any exercise. 

I am hoping to do a walk/jog at my dad's on Saturday and hopefully some bodyweight strength training but if I just get in another 30 min or so of cardio, I'll meet my minimum    I've already done the minimum 2 strength-training sessions. 

Just looked up the weather report at my Dad's so will have to revise cardio plans. If I don't get cardio in here before I go or stop on the way somewhere, it ain't happenin'. The weather is supposed to be a combination of rain and snow. lovely. I know some of you women are hardcore enough to get out in that. Me? My dad lives in a home dating from colonial times with a big ole fireplace that I will plan to sit in front of! 

That's rough to go from 70 something to a mixture of rain and snow. Poor baby. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

I did get another walk in with the kids, loved the gorgeous weather. I had planned to do some extra science with the kids but decided we'd enjoy the weather instead.

Yesterday evening I went to to the gym, that makes 8 visits since the first, so I've got in my requirement for discount.  I was feeling spunkier but not a rockstar. I just did squats with the bar again- I'm practicing going lower (using a box for height). I didn't break any records with my bench but did 4 sets at 65, one warm-up with the bar. TBar Rows at 70 lbs, felt harder than Sunday. I finished up with lunges. I hate lunges. I never do lunges. I suck at lunges. I ended up just doing bodyweight and that was hard enough for me. I should definitely practice them more.

Today we've got a VDay party, so it will be lots of visiting and busyness, I'll probably collapse when we get home. I think I'm skipping going to the gym this weekend, my body feels like it needs some days off BUT if my friend happens to send me an invite I'll probably say yes anyway :) Sunday it is supposed to be nice again, so maybe we can do a hike. 

I'm feeling like I'm trying to get sick, my throat hurts from the drainage but we're going to hope it goes away. I felt amazing yesterday.

Today, I got in a 60 min walk with 30 min of embedded jogging intervals. It was a beautiful spring-like day (I wore shorts!) and there was a stunning sunset. So nice. Came home and hung around for a couple hours hoping dh could go to the gym with me, but he wasn't able to finish a work project that needs to be done tonight. So I went alone and did my strength training. i did trapezius stretches on the way home in the car, and then did some hamstring, shoulder, and chest stretches (all my tightest points). I didn't do the rest of my flexibility because I am whomped. I put in over 18,500 steps including the dedicated walk/run. 

Just looked up the weather report at my Dad's so will have to revise cardio plans. If I don't get cardio in here before I go or stop on the way somewhere, it ain't happenin'. The weather is supposed to be a combination of rain and snow. lovely. I know some of you women are hardcore enough to get out in that. Me? My dad lives in a home dating from colonial times with a big ole fireplace that I will plan to sit in front of! 

That's rough to go from 70 something to a mixture of rain and snow. Poor baby. 

You are doing great on your steps, and I agree the fireplace sounds good. Our weather is similiar here, I was out in a skirt, tshirt, and sandals and still warm. This morning it is raining and 40 and only getting colder, at least we got one good day.

Since last I posted, my debit card was compromised to the tune of over $950 in pending charges (which were reported as fraud and have since fallen off), the third of my three children came down with the GI bug the first child had which has put me on edge seeing as only the afults remain healthy, and I have gotten two workouts in. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m done with February. It can go away now.

Dh and I did go to the gym and ran on the treadmill. I enjoy running with him anytime, but since heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a faster runner than me, when we run on the treadmill I can go my own pace and he can go his. That way my easy runs are easy and he can run fast enough so that his easy runs arenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t too easy if that makes sense. I did cross training yesterday on the bike.

Today, dh and I will go run together. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s warm enough to go running outside, but puddles and a chance for rain means weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll likely run on the treadmill again. I am not a huge treadmill fan, but I think itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s growing on me.

(hugs) that sucks about your card, we had to go through that before and it was a total PITA. that's great you and your dh can exercise together, fingers crossed the big people stay far away from the GI stuff

I  mostly fenced with DD, and felt like a complete idiot. I mean, how many times can a normal human being repeat the same mistake again and again? Apparently, I can do it for 40 minutes. My hormones are at the nasty level right now, so it made for a very hard evening.

Private lesson today, plus some target practice. I hope some veterans will show up for open fencing tomorrow.

(hugs) some days are just rough, hope you are past it soon.

• Like 4

Yesterday was interesting - I awoke with a bad head cold. One of my players shared the joy of illness.  :(

I had cold cereal for breakfast, a gf grilled cheese and a small bag of chips for lunch and vegetables for dinner. Practice was only 2.5 hours and I did not go to the Y for any exercise. I came home from practice, ate my vegetables, took a shower and some cold meds, and went to bed. 

The team leaves for an away match today and it will be hours of highway driving for me. I need to adjust my eating/exercise plan for the next two days. There won't be much opportunity for exercise once we get on the road.

• Like 4

I went for a walk in the woods with 2 friends. It wasn't too cold out, but it was very windy. I got a little frostbite in the tips of a couple fingers. I'll have to be more careful about keeping my hands warm in future. 

I've had a nice warm bath, some chocolate and a hot drink, so I'm feeling great now.

• Like 4

I'm officially sick, I drug through the party and came home and crashed, still not feeling well. I guess it is good I'm sick on the weekend, hopefully this is short lived.

I went for a walk in the woods with 2 friends. It wasn't too cold out, but it was very windy. I got a little frostbite in the tips of a couple fingers. I'll have to be more careful about keeping my hands warm in future. 

I've had a nice warm bath, some chocolate and a hot drink, so I'm feeling great now.

Very not good!!!

• Like 3

I'm officially sick, I drug through the party and came home and crashed, still not feeling well. I guess it is good I'm sick on the weekend, hopefully this is short lived.

Awe!! That stinks. Being sick is no fun. Hope itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s short and youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re feeling well soon.

I am officially the mother of a teenager. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not possible. Like, I get that the kid is like...huge, but I remember when he was little and napped on my chest. So weird.

Birthday boy wanted to go to soccer practice so he did. Dh and I did hill intervals this morning while the kids did the soccer thing which was fun. Yesterday we ran and did some strength training before celebrating ValentineĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Day late by seeing Black Panther. Best date ever.

• Like 4

The second part sounds fun, the frostbite - not so much. Glad you felt great though!

Very not good!!!

Sorry :( Being sick is not fun at all. Hope you feel better soon!

Fenced yesterday for about an hour. I thought I would be able to do more workouts at home this week, as DD had a week-long break from CC, but with with all the other errands, I had no time at all. I hope to fit in a full body workout today.

• Like 5

I went for a snowshoe this morning wearing extra-thick gloves. It was nice, except for the really yappy dogs barking in the woods. It is a dog-friendly park, but normally it's very quiet and all you can hear is birds chirping. This lady had no control over her 3 little dogs - neither in the parking lot nor the woods. The dogs wear the pants in that family.  :laugh:

• Like 4

I'm feeling better not good, but better. I stayed in bed yesterday and but have been out of bed about half of this morning, I'm still planning for lots of rest b/c I'm not 100% and I have the time to rest now on the weekend because I need/hope to be ready for the week come Monday.

I read a book on lifting yesterday and the plans are very close to what I've been doing, very simple, compound movements, I think I'll try her tweaks for awhile. I realized this am that I started back with lifting right at 2 months ago and this coming week is my 4th week at the good gym (that has all the free weights). 

I'm definitely getting stronger and I'm so glad I'm writing things down to see the progress with my lifts. I'm eating good whole foods and usually get in lots of fruits and veggies. My energy and mood are way better. I'm gaining muscle and can see I'm losing fat. I put the scale away, it is just a number. Food journalling is going well, much better to write it down on paper. I'm not stressing about it or making it super detailed but using it for awareness and data, the numbers are objective. I've found I do best with consistent meal times. I feel the most satiated with a TON of veggies, a serving of protein, (also a serving of starch thrown in with some meals) and a bit of fat. Cutting the fat or the veggies leaves me hungry much quicker. 

Awe!! That stinks. Being sick is no fun. Hope itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s short and youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re feeling well soon.

I am officially the mother of a teenager. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not possible. Like, I get that the kid is like...huge, but I remember when he was little and napped on my chest. So weird.

Birthday boy wanted to go to soccer practice so he did. Dh and I did hill intervals this morning while the kids did the soccer thing which was fun. Yesterday we ran and did some strength training before celebrating ValentineĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s Day late by seeing Black Panther. Best date ever.

Thank you. Congrats to the birthday boy!

I'm so jealous of the date, seriously. I told dh about one of my friend's husband joining her at the gym for V-Day, he just looked at me (to be fair he has a lot going on) and we both want to see Black Panther too!

The second part sounds fun, the frostbite - not so much. Glad you felt great though!

Sorry :( Being sick is not fun at all. Hope you feel better soon!

Fenced yesterday for about an hour. I thought I would be able to do more workouts at home this week, as DD had a week-long break from CC, but with with all the other errands, I had no time at all. I hope to fit in a full body workout today.

Aww, thank you, hope you are getting in some good visiting in with your dd while she is on break.

I went for a snowshoe this morning wearing extra-thick gloves. It was nice, except for the really yappy dogs barking in the woods. It is a dog-friendly park, but normally it's very quiet and all you can hear is birds chirping. This lady had no control over her 3 little dogs - neither in the parking lot nor the woods. The dogs wear the pants in that family.  :laugh:

LOL

• Like 5

I'm feeling better not good, but better. I stayed in bed yesterday and but have been out of bed about half of this morning, I'm still planning for lots of rest b/c I'm not 100% and I have the time to rest now on the weekend because I need/hope to be ready for the week come Monday.

I read a book on lifting yesterday and the plans are very close to what I've been doing, very simple, compound movements, I think I'll try her tweaks for awhile. I realized this am that I started back with lifting right at 2 months ago and this coming week is my 4th week at the good gym (that has all the free weights). 

I'm definitely getting stronger and I'm so glad I'm writing things down to see the progress with my lifts. I'm eating good whole foods and usually get in lots of fruits and veggies. My energy and mood are way better. I'm gaining muscle and can see I'm losing fat. I put the scale away, it is just a number. Food journalling is going well, much better to write it down on paper. I'm not stressing about it or making it super detailed but using it for awareness and data, the numbers are objective. I've found I do best with consistent meal times. I feel the most satiated with a TON of veggies, a serving of protein, (also a serving of starch thrown in with some meals) and a bit of fat. Cutting the fat or the veggies leaves me hungry much quicker. 

Aww, thank you, hope you are getting in some good visiting in with your dd while she is on break.

Glad you are feeling better! I also noticed that my energy levels are higher this month. Not sure if it is due to the increased wackiness of my cycle this month or better diet. Mood hit was definitely the worst in a long time.

And I am not sure about visiting, but I definitely enjoyed a bit less of driving this week. Some people tell me they can't imagine homeschooling kids, I can't imagine all the driving some of them have to do :) Next week the spring semester starts, but at least it is 2 days a week instead of 4, as it was during winter.

I did my workout yesterday, and I managed to raise myself in a bridge and actually hold it for a few seconds. I am sure the form was far from good, but I did it. Then DD came and did it from her feet down and up a few times. :lol: I guess it is motivation.

• Like 5

The longer, sunnier days is certainly making me more cheerful (usually). ;)  The morning and evening driving can be really annoying though, because the angle the sun hits the windscreen makes it impossible to see. 

I'm heading off for a ski or snowshoe momentarily. It's sunny and warm. I'll try skiing first, and if the conditions are poor I'll switch to snowshoeing. 

ETA: I ended up skate skiing and sweating a lot! It was warm, but the snow wasn't too bad. Of course, I had to do all the hills as they are the most fun. Getting up them is work, though, hence the sweating.  :laugh:

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

Hello all. I am doing some 80 day obsession with beach body and ramping up my half training. I got 10 miles in today. Still can't believe I did that. I've been so intimidated by that number but it's done!! Have a great week all. Keep up the consistency of your workouts. Never miss a Monday!

• Like 6

I went for a late afternoon snowshoe with my ds 11 and 13. We went across a golf course on the way to grandma's house, and had some added adventure climbing the giant snow piles from parking lot clearing. 

This was definitely a "power snowshoe" as we were running up and down the hills on the course. I was sweating buckets by the end of it. It took us about 30 minutes. 

• Like 5

I'll have to go back and read through the recent postings. I never seem to keep up with WTM lately. I should be happy for my busy-ness.

I gave up on the Plexus belly buster challenge after two days. The taste was simply to awful. DH only did it one day and couldn't take it anymore.  I might try again with the vanilla flavor this week. I would like to see if it works.

I have had a cold since Wednesday. This is rather amusing to me since Plexus is supposed to help bolster the immune system.  :glare:  The cold doesn't seem to respond well to the store brand cold meds I had on hand but it's not too bad so I've been doing what I have to do and carrying lots of tissues wherever I go.

Friday and Saturday were low activity days for me. I drove the team to the away match and then sat or stood around a lot. My eating wasn't bad. I managed to avoid gluten during the trip and ate as healthy as I could. Surprisingly I went almost 48 hours without a chai. :ohmy:

Today - I snacked a bit this AM and rectified the chai situation. Despite cold symptoms, DH, DS, and I went to the Y where I ran 1.5 on the treadmill and used the rowing machine for an hour.

My plan for this week - keep stress as low as possible. There are a couple of life changing decisions happening this week and I need to prepare myself beforehand so I don't react badly or eat too many comfort foods or wallow in self pity if things don't go as I hope.

I might try the belly buster again since I have plenty of supplies. Both teams practice every day and the teams have matches on Sat & Sun. It will be a busy and active week.

My mood seems to be on an even keel and I am pleased with how well I am doing. I began a mood tracker in my bullet journal and am excited to see few blue or green  (sad, depressed, lazy)squares and lots of orange and yellow (uneventful/normal and active).

DS and I completed the Lazyman Ironman challenge. DS wants another challenge to work on for the next six weeks. He is looking fit and is building some stamina and muscle.

• Like 5

Home from visiting my dad. Friday was a travel day, as planned, so no exercise. Saturday was supposed to be rain/snow combo. It turned out to be sunny. I hadn't even bothered to take running shoes. It was quite chilly though,but I did a 30 min brisk walk with their dog across a nature conservancy. The soft soil didn't hurt my indoor booties, so that gave me the cardio I needed. Being gone for 1/2 was enough, so I didn't also try to get in strength training. But overall, I hit a minimum goal for both cardio and strength and did flexibility on 3 days. (For me, that's good!) 

This week, I should be able to do some outdoor exercise. 

• Like 5

Coach- Congrats on your Ironman!!!! You crack me up with your Chai addiction, I'm going to make one this morning in honor of you :) Good luck this week, I hope all goes well and is low stress.

Laurie- glad you had a good visit and met your goals.

wintermom- that sounds exhausting but fun.

Lynn- :hurray:  :hurray:  :hurray: on your 10 miler!

Olga- Woot on the bridge! My oldest daughter is uber flexible too, I don't even try to keep up, I'd hurt myself. I think all the driving would drive me nuts too.

Sparkly- points to you for going to the gym :)

Slept great- still not 100%, hopefully, that improves with the day, thankfully, we have no Scouts today, just school stuff. Temp is supposed to be warm but rainy, hoping I'm peppy enough to do some walking today.

Edited by soror
  • Like 4

Well, I twisted my knee (the one that was recovering, argh) in ice/snow and took last week off of everything but rolling, stretching, and one meeting with my (amazing) PT. It seems to be better again, so I exercised on Saturday night. 

My goal for this week is rolling, stretching, knee exercises six times and other exercise four times, as long as it feels OK. Also, walking somewhere every day.

Emily

• Like 6

Went to the gym tonight and got in 3 sets of 2 upper body and 2 lower body exercises and I did my flexibility exercises there. Woot! 

Today was the last day of wintery weather for the week. The rest of the week is spring-like at 70 something degrees. Though I love it, it does worry me. I've lived here for 40+ years and the first year I was here there was one, exactly one , day in the 70s in February. It was like that for many years. You'd get one little glimpse of spring to give you a bit of hope. There is a whole lot more of that now, even though I expect it to get cold again before spring comes in reality. 

• Like 6

I'm feeling much better today, still snotty but energy is good, woot. 

Oh, and I started my period yesterday and have had no cramping and my mood is good!!! No cravings (not yet anyway!)

I'm excited to go to the gym tonight.

It is raining buckets right now, so we'll see if I can manage any walking today.

Back when I stopped weighing I set a goal to lose an inch off my waist and hips. I've lost a solid inch off my waist (1.5 some days) and 1/2 inch off my hips :) 

My shirts have been getting looser again, I can tell I'm losing from all over my upper half. I've reconsidered my thoughts on my hips, since my last baby I hold onto weight there very stubbornly(I went from a 9-10 in difference to 12-13 inch difference!). I don't know that they will get back to where they were without being very, very thin in my upper half and I just don't think I care to go there. Besides the fact that I'm proudly doing exercises to grow those muscles, I'd rather have big strong legs then thin weak ones and I'm quite enjoying growing muscles right now.  It is interesting to remove the scale b/c I can think about how I look and feel without the emotional baggage of *that* number clouding my perception. My thoughts right now are I'd like to lose another 1/2 to 1 inch off my waist and hopefully get in another 1/2 off my hips with that. Then I think I'll look at going back to maintenance and building muscles.

Oh, and Olga my dh asked me last night to help him with food. With the stress form, his Dad and his own hormone issues(he has an appt next week so hopefully he can get his lined out too- we are a fine pair) his appetite has been crazy. Being busy and pushing himself means he's been upping his soda and junk food (I don't buy it but he eats it away from home). He's on this rollercoaster of eating crap and then feeling crap and eating sugar for a boost. He asked me to get him some breakfast options (he never ate it before but now is waking up starving). I'm not thinking crazy health food for him but a step up from a bowl of sugar cereal or soda/candy bar. He told me if he doesn't eat a GIANT bowl of cereal he is hungry again in 30 minutes, I told him, of course, all he is getting is carbs, he ends up crashing and starts it over again. He doesn't want or need to go super low carb right now, he is not up to it.  It needs to be something he can easy reheat or make quickly. Any thoughts/ideas? 

Since no school this week (well no homeschool...I still have school) I am thinking of using the time to go to the gym and start a weight routine.  Not sure what it'll be yet. 

We are doing hs break next week. I'm SO excited!!! 

Here are some ideas for a simple routine for weights. I'd aim for 3 sets.

leg press

chest press

lat pull down

• Like 4

I'd prefer something other than the lat pull down.  The others I'll do.  They have this 30 minute circuit thing.  I might try that.

in case you wondered why....because I have a hard time reaching it and I find that very embarrassing...LOL

really part of the reason I am not doing weights is because I feel unsure and embarrassed about it...which I know is stupid, but just being honest!

I think everyone feels unsure and embarrassed, I forgot you were shorter and didn't think about you not being able to reach the lat pull down. I thought I was going to have a panic attack when I started back. If they have a circuit thing there that sounds like a great thing to try for a start. Please report back on how it goes, we're rooting for you!

• Like 5

Oh, and I started my period yesterday and have had no cramping and my mood is good!!! No cravings (not yet anyway!)

It is raining buckets right now, so we'll see if I can manage any walking today.

Back when I stopped weighing I set a goal to lose an inch off my waist and hips. I've lost a solid inch off my waist (1.5 some days) and 1/2 inch off my hips :)

My shirts have been getting looser again, I can tell I'm losing from all over my upper half. I've reconsidered my thoughts on my hips, since my last baby I hold onto weight there very stubbornly(I went from a 9-10 in difference to 12-13 inch difference!). I don't know that they will get back to where they were without being very, very thin in my upper half and I just don't think I care to go there. Besides the fact that I'm proudly doing exercises to grow those muscles, I'd rather have big strong legs then thin weak ones and I'm quite enjoying growing muscles right now.  It is interesting to remove the scale b/c I can think about how I look and feel without the emotional baggage of *that* number clouding my perception. My thoughts right now are I'd like to lose another 1/2 to 1 inch off my waist and hopefully get in another 1/2 off my hips with that. Then I think I'll look at going back to maintenance and building muscles.

Oh, and Olga my dh asked me last night to help him with food. With the stress form, his Dad and his own hormone issues(he has an appt next week so hopefully he can get his lined out too- we are a fine pair) his appetite has been crazy. Being busy and pushing himself means he's been upping his soda and junk food (I don't buy it but he eats it away from home). He's on this rollercoaster of eating crap and then feeling crap and eating sugar for a boost. He asked me to get him some breakfast options (he never ate it before but now is waking up starving). I'm not thinking crazy health food for him but a step up from a bowl of sugar cereal or soda/candy bar. He told me if he doesn't eat a GIANT bowl of cereal he is hungry again in 30 minutes, I told him, of course, all he is getting is carbs, he ends up crashing and starts it over again. He doesn't want or need to go super low carb right now, he is not up to it.  It needs to be something he can easy reheat or make quickly. Any thoughts/ideas? 

Wow! Great progress! And nice work staying off the scale and focusing on actual visible progress. I want to get to that point eventually. 

I made breakfast slices for dh and I a while back (when we were eating breakfast). I cooked up sausage or bacon, diced it, added in diced red peppers, mushrooms, and shredded cheese and then poured in beaten eggs. I cooked it in a big lasagna pan and first I lined the pan with parchment paper. Once it's cooked, I cut the whole thing into almost bread sized slices and put some in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Then we warmed them in the toaster oven, but they could easily be microwaved, too.

• Like 4

I missed my Tuesday run due to a dinner we had to go to, then I missed my Saturday run because of a board education session I was in. I did make it to the gym on Wednesday, Friday, and Monday. It was beautiful (-2 but sunny!) yesterday, so in addition to the gym in the morning I also got out for a 5km run at 5pm. Today, I'm running with my group at 5:45.

I am cutting down my time with my trainer - trying to spend a little more conservatively - so I'll be hitting the gym once a week and working out at home twice a week. My trainer is going to help me develop an at-home plan and I'll probably go in for an extra training session every four or five weeks just to check up on the things I'm doing at home. 

• Like 6

in case you wondered why....because I have a hard time reaching it and I find that very embarrassing...LOL

really part of the reason I am not doing weights is because I feel unsure and embarrassed about it...which I know is stupid, but just being honest!

Me too. No matter how many instructional videos I watch or attempts I make, I feel like an idiot as soon as I move to the free weights. I think everyone will look at me and know that I don't belong in the weights section.

• Like 5

Sarah - a trainer is something I wish I could afford, esp one knowledgeable in tennis specific weight training. It's just a wish for the moment but it would be nice to have someone guide my weekly weight training  and make sure I'm doing the best possible exercises for my sport.

My dh bought a physical training book specific to tennis. Something like that might be great for you and your students. It had a lot of interesting exercises.

• Like 3

Here are some ideas for a simple routine for weights. I'd aim for 3 sets.

leg press

chest press

lat pull down

It's great to hear that your energy is good! And congrats on inches lost! I also hold to fat in some areas more than others. Since the beginning of the year I lost 2 inches off my waist and barely half an inch off my hips. I am happy that it is not the other way around, but still. And it's funny how differently we perceive our sizes. I am totally fine with the number on the scale, it is just a number to me, but measuring... I now *see* all the padding I still have and I feel worse than how I did when I only looked at the scale, and that is after I lost some weight and gained some muscles.

I am not sure I can help much with meal prep. DH's breakfast is usually oatmeal (just 1 min oatmeal and water) with fruit, sometimes with a latte. I do think I need to add some protein to it, but not yet sure how. I need to think about it. Lunches are fine, mostly some protein with vegetables/salads or (rarely) something like rice or buckwheat. Dinners are the same. He is getting between 35 and 50% of carbs now, down from probably 80. But I realized that he just has no concept of hunger. For him, food is purely entertainment. So I pack two small lunches for him. But still, a couple days he went as low as 1100 Cal and said he felt full. I now make sure he doesn't go as low. On the other hand, when he cooked his oatmeal for the first time, he accidentally doubled the portion, and barely realized it. He asked what he did wrong because he couldn't fit his berries into the same bowl.  I guess he didn't feel any difference while eating all of it.

I did my full body workout yesterday. Back to fencing tonight.

• Like 4

I'm so jealous of the date, seriously. I told dh about one of my friend's husband joining her at the gym for V-Day, he just looked at me (to be fair he has a lot going on) and we both want to see Black Panther too!

Lol, well, he didnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t say no outright so that could be a slightly hopeful time. Maybed sometime down the road heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll be game! Dh is by far my favorite running/training buddy because he understands my need for silent, paralell togetherness. While also being my buffer from the other people. I have been harassed with running and creepy guys tend to want to run on the treadmill right next to mine when I go by myself, but no one ever does it when dh is with.

HeĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not as available as I might like and heĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a faster runner than me so IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m jealous of anyone who has someone who is both at their level and more regularly available. He doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t complain at running my slower pace, but he probably doesnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t run fast enough and IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m more likely to run faster than I should.

Sparkly - my PF has the 30 minute circuit and it seems like no one ever uses it so if yours id anything like mine, it will be free and open while the rest of the weight area is hopping.

I ran 5 miles on the treadmill on Sunday. I checked the weather this morning and there was nothing on the radar and Accuweather said there would be no rain for 120 minutes. Since ot was in the 40s, I decided to get my run in outside and add in voting in todayĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s primary in the middle. Heh, it started raining 10 minutes in. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m stubborn so I kept going, voted, and then it poured when I left from voting and all the way home. 39 minutes of running excluding the stop light and voting. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll take my DGAF runner badge now.

Dd get sick again Sunday afternoon and yesterday morning. Frustratingly, it appears she has no GI virus given the test results, but no clear reason why it keeps popping back up. Silver lining being sheĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not contagious.

• Like 4

Soror---breakfast options: 

I have made the egg "muffin" things before: oil a muffin tin. In each cup, put some cooked veges of your choice. It could be leftovers from dinner or I personally like to do spinach to get in a green leafy vege first thing. Beat eggs and put on top of veges. (It's about 1 egg per cup but it depends on how much vege is in the bottom.) Bake at 350 till done. If you want a more specific recipe, just google it. 

Easier for me now is a frittata. I usually make a large saute pan at the beginning of the week. It can make 4 servings of 2 eggs each. Pretty much the same thing as the muffins: I put the veges in the bottom and add whisked eggs. I cook mine on the stove top at a low-medium heat with a lid on, but some people do them in the oven. You can add cheese the last minute or so if you want. I add guacamole because I love avocado and the creaminess is nice. 

Oatmeal: I add a scoop of pumpkin puree (like you'd use to make pie) , pumpkin pie spices, and a chopped apple and because I like chocolate, a spoon of cocoa. Plain cocoa (not the mix) has fiber and not very many carbs. The pumpkin also gives fiber, vitamin A, etc. So the oatmeal levels the appetite pretty well and you get in some veges/fruits. 

• Like 3

Sparkly: instead of a lat pulldown, you can do inverted rows if your gym has a Smith machine. (You can find youtube videos of those) or do dumbbell rows with one leg bent at the knee on a bench and the other leg bracing on the floor. You pull the dumbbell up on the side of the bracing leg. Again, there are lots of youtube videos on how to do those. Any machine that is labeled some kind of row will probably also work. 

• Like 2