Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & Exercise) - Feb 2018

Granny_Weatherwax

Slept like a rock last night! 

Two days of tracking food. 

Hoping to get to the gym with my friend not stressing if I can't. Not sure if it will work for her and if the weather will be ok, we have a weather advisory and I'm not sure how the roads are.

I need to catch up on the house, after having a sleepover it needs some work!

I think I forgot to mention it but last week the NP called and we've upped my one med (as expected) but my conversion is starting to lag so we'll have to watch it. Still waiting on cortisol and hormone tests. Although it seems my hormones are doing better, so perhaps it was just stress or peri wonkiness that will come and go. I will likely be doing more tests in another month, I've got to keep on top of it. I would love to someday be able to find a med dosage that I can just stay at and not have to watch it so closely.

Tennis was really awesome tonight! I always feel so strong playing tennis if I've been skiing a fair amount and building up my upper-body strength and fitness. My partners and I won our ladies doubles and mixed doubles matches. We had a lot of great rallies, too.

It's just a shame I can't do more tennis in the winter, as well as some skiing in the summer.  :laugh:

Congrats on your win, woot!!!

No, you definitely don't want a peek into that group. It sounds like you've found a great routine - nice to have a friend to lift with. 

I'm surprised by how easy it is for me to be swayed by what someone else is doing when everything seems to be working well for me as it is. I was in a couple of fasting groups on FB as well and kept thinking I should try a longer fast again (I used to do 3 to 4 day fasts every 4 to 6 weeks or so). So, last week dh was out of town on Tuesday and I decided not to eat dinner on Tuesday night. I normally eat dinner on Sunday and then break my fast with dinner on Tuesday. It wasn't terrible, but it wasn't totally easy, either, and I didn't sleep well that night and then I was at the gym Wednesday morning. I lifted well, but I felt more out of breath before sets and probably took more time than usual between sets. Then I was *hungry* and ate a humungous lunch. When I do my regular fasting, everything is pretty normal and I don't get weird insatiable hunger or anything. I just feel normal. So, I'm back to my regular routine. Which works for me. And I decided that I should leave the fasting groups, too. I don't need to do anything different because this is working for me.

I *want* to keep a food diary. Maybe once I reach my goal weight.

ETA: My exercise for the day was a 15km run. Then, I did what I've been saying I should do for ages, I came home and spent half an hour doing abs in my home gym. I'd like to do that every Saturday.

Good job on the run and ab work! You know it is hard to find a good health and fitness group, they all seem to get fanatical about something. I'm well over being a fanatic about anything. I'm still on one group but it annoys me- all the why our way is right and everyone else is wrong and stupid posts. All the posts about how this regime will cure everything. I get really pissy reading it. I can do my own thing and feel good with it, I'm not threatened if something works for someone else (unless they start trying to sell me their miracle cure). 

I only keep a diary when trying to lose weight, I find it annoying!  But I know the act of writing things down keeps me on track, I used to be able to track things in my head better but my brain is quite full these days, I can only keep track of so much.

I mostly learned to listen to my body as a little kid, but even now sometimes it is hard to tell what I really want.

Glad to hear you are enjoying both skying and its "side effects"! I wish I could find something that would improve my fencing :)

I fenced yesterday for the first time since last Friday, and mentally it was much more enjoyable, although not exactly better in terms of the results. Tomorrow I am going to a local competition, where I should meet at least one other veteran lady and get my behind kicked :)

Glad you enjoyed fencing, maybe it is not the time to quit but a time to back off and focus on other goals? Good luck in figuring out what to do.

• Like 5

Soror - That's great news medically for you. What a relief. 

I also got some good news. I'm apparently not celiac, not even the low end of the range. Kind of a weird roller-coaster to go through thinking that I was for a few months there, but it's nice to know I'm not. It's one thing to cut out major food groups voluntarily, but a completely different thing to be forced to do it for medical reasons. There's more hard feelings with the second scenario.  :coolgleamA:

• Like 6

I also got some good news. I'm apparently not celiac, not even the low end of the range. Kind of a weird roller-coaster to go through thinking that I was for a few months there, but it's nice to know I'm not. It's one thing to cut out major food groups voluntarily, but a completely different thing to be forced to do it for medical reasons. There's more hard feelings with the second scenario.  :coolgleamA:

Really glad for you, wintermom. Yes,, an absolute medical prohibition on whole groups of foods is a big loss. 

• Like 3

Got in 1.5 hrs at the gym with my friend, had a blast. I love working out with her!

Got in a set of deadlifts at 145lb, WOOT! More than bodyweight baby!

Didn't go up in weight on squats and bench but got more reps at the higher weight.

Oh, and she showed me a new lift, instead of bent over rows we did TBar rows, those were awesome. It uses different muscles and I could do way more weight than the regular row, which made me feel like Wonder Woman- did up to 90lbs on it! 

Did my OH press last again so they kinda sucked, oh well, I'd rather work on the bigger lifts.

That is great news!

• Like 5

I had a minor surgical procedure on Friday and am still taking it easy. Every time something stops me from exercising regularly I have a hard time getting back into a routine. Any suggestions? Is there any way to make it easier when you have no choice but to stop for a week or two?

Do whatever your body can handle so that you don't go down to zero movement, would be my suggestion. I can't stay still for 2 weeks anyway. My body just needs to move, even if it's a walk around the block. My grandfather used to walk circles inside his house when he couldn't get outside in the winter. He lived to 93 years. Just keep moving as much as you are able, and you'll probably recover from the procedure quicker as well. 

• Like 5

. My grandfather used to walk circles inside his house when he couldn't get outside in the winter. He lived to 93 years. Just keep moving as much as you are able, and you'll probably recover from the procedure quicker as well. 

LOL. I was kind of doing that today. The main living areas of my house are open and I walked around in a figure 8 for about 10 minutes. I was listening to my audio book so at least I wasn't completely bored. 

I hate when I have to back down from the level I finally worked up to, but you're right. Some movement is better than none.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 6

Glad to hear you are enjoying both skying and its "side effects"! I wish I could find something that would improve my fencing :)

Tennis might be good, especially doubles. You need good footwork, fast reflexes and precise racquet control. Also it's a hand-eye coordination sport, like fencing. And strategy and shot placement is important. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

Working backwards:

Today - 4.5 miles on the treadmill today (intervals)

Yesterday - 3.5 miles on the treadmill and 15 mins speed intervals on the stationary bike. Then I played a 4.0 USTA league singles match.

Friday - on court coaching and 3.5 miles on the treadmill

Thursday - 120 mins on court coaching

Wednesday - 120 mins on court coaching & 3.1 on the treadmill

Tuesday - 120 mins on court coaching; missed morning tennis due to no vehicle  :(

Monday- 120 mins coaching & 3.1 on the treadmill

I have 4.5 miles left of the 26 and then it's on to the swimming portion of the lazyman ironman. 

My DS, who is doing the Ironman with me, only has 1/2 of the swimming portion to complete and he'll be done. He's been going on his own when I can't make it. I"m quite proud of him for sticking with it.

• Like 6

Goals for this week: I'm doing a Plexus belly buster challenge. It's 7 days. I'm going to complete the 4.5 on the treadmill and get in my swimming time for the lazyman ironman. I also have lots of coaching going on this week and plan on being on court 4 days. I have one day of strength training scheduled with the teams.

It should be a pretty good week.

• Like 5

I'm a really sporadic poster, but I do appreciate this thread.

I'm down 14 pounds since I joined WW Dec 9. It is almost time to pack away my big post-pregnancy clothes (and since dd is turning 2 next week, it is ABOUT TIME). Moving into the medium post-pregnancy clothes is good, but I'm looking forward to my "normal" clothes again, which is about another 10 pounds.

<snip>

Emily

Congratulations on doing so well! 

• Like 2

I'm glad your not celiac. It's not a fun lifestyle at all. I don't think I have hard feelings having to give up gluten. I am just thankful every day that my body doesn't hurt and that life is so much better now that I am gluten free. 

Now, if I had to give it up for someone else or because of someone else...that might lead to hard feelings.

• Like 4

I'm glad your not celiac. It's not a fun lifestyle at all. I don't think I have hard feelings having to give up gluten. I am just thankful every day that my body doesn't hurt and that life is so much better now that I am gluten free. 

Now, if I had to give it up for someone else or because of someone else...that might lead to hard feelings.

It is nice to find out what is causing the pain so you can avoid it. Not having the pain in the first place would be nicer, though. ;) I still have many food allergies, and the list is still growing. Mixed salads are the most scary things at the moment. I never know if I'm going to react to something new. I guess there would be similar reactions with hidden gluten and cross-contamination. It gets annoying. 

• Like 2

Hidden gluten and cross-contamination are why I don't like to eat other people's food or dine out very often.

An example - for our USTA league, the home team provides after match refreshments. Someone brought hummus, crackers, and carrots. I used a spoon to scoop the hummus and put it on my plate. Then I watched one of the women use a cracker to scoop out the hummus and put it on her plate. That simple act contaminated the hummus and, since I didn't know if she or anyone else had already used a cracker instead of the spoon, I tossed my hummus and ate raw carrots.

A little contamination kicks my butt for days afterward - bloating, pain, grumpiness. It's so not worth the risk.

I can only imagine how problematic multiple food allergies must be. I hope you can find answers soon. I think it's wonderful that you remain active and optimistic about your situation.

• Like 3

Tennis might be good, especially doubles. You need good footwork, fast reflexes and precise racquet control. Also it's a hand-eye coordination sport, like fencing. And strategy and shot placement is important. 

I was thinking that badminton and squash would be good options as well. The racquets and balls are lighter. 

Not to pull you away from fencing, by any means. You seem to really enjoy the sport and it's a family affair. Just throwing out some ideas to cross-train without the tedium of a gym. ;)

• Like 3

Tracked food yesterday.

Was going to weigh today but I think I'm going to skip it. I'm eating good foods and watching portions. I'm exercising. I try to sleep as much as I can and reduce stress as possible. So, there is not much else I can do. I'm just going to keep on keeping on, focusing on the good habits and not the numbers. It is bitterly cold today, hoping however to motivate myself for at least a little walk.

LOL. I was kind of doing that today. The main living areas of my house are open and I walked around in a figure 8 for about 10 minutes. I was listening to my audio book so at least I wasn't completely bored. 

I hate when I have to back down from the level I finally worked up to, but you're right. Some movement is better than none.

(Hugs Lady Florida- best wishes on the surgery) ITA with wintermom, find something to do, even if it is just walking around the house or around a park if you can manage, even if it is just 5 or 10 min a day it is good to keep some momentum and a schedule if you can. 

dressed for the gym....guzzling some more coffee before going

Got a lot of crap to do today. 

WTG, getting it done early.

• Like 5

Tracked food yesterday.

Was going to weigh today but I think I'm going to skip it. I'm eating good foods and watching portions. I'm exercising. I try to sleep as much as I can and reduce stress as possible. So, there is not much else I can do. I'm just going to keep on keeping on, focusing on the good habits and not the numbers. It is bitterly cold today, hoping however to motivate myself for at least a little walk.

<Snip>

I didn't weigh either. I, too, am watching what I eat and exercising. My abdomen feels less tight and wonky and my clothes fit better (not great but better). I need to take steps to change my reactions to certain types of stress but I am making progress. I have to remind myself that this is about wellbeing and fitness, not just about weight loss. 

I hope you get out for some exercise.

My plan for the day is a protein shake for breakfast, flavored quinoa for lunch, walking on the treadmill(hoping to finish my last 4.5 miles), tennis practice (4-7:30), and then something (I haven't decided what) for dinner. 

• Like 5

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember where I last left off. Between selling GS cookies and dealing with a sick kid, there have been a few more rest days thrown in the mix. Last week I got one bike workout, a treadmill hill workout plus another run and some simple strength training from my book for runnerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s. And a lot of walking.

Dd is maybe finally feeling better and so far it seems to have stuck with her and not spread to the rest of the family. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m hopeful that it stays that way because this GI bug of hers has not been a 24 hour thing. Dh and I are supposed to go workout together today. I usually have a plan all figured out for the week, but aside from an overly optimistic hope that weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll sell the last 300 or so boxes by Sunday, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve got nothing.

• Like 5

Well after a weekend of poor eating choices and self-flagellation (brought on partly by the fact that physio for my shoulder seems to be making it hurt more and therefore everything is difficult and partly by the fact that all my gym partners have deserted me and although I was motivated enough to go for the last month, it's getting harder), I made it to the gym this morning.

Ran 2 miles, walked a third mile and did my physio exercises.  Have another physio appt tonight so I'm hoping for  - actually I have no idea what I'm hoping for.  I would like someone to magically replace my shoulder with a different shoulder.  

I'm really glad to have this thread because it is the only thing keeping me going to the gym these days.

• Like 6

Well after a weekend of poor eating choices and self-flagellation (brought on partly by the fact that physio for my shoulder seems to be making it hurt more and therefore everything is difficult and partly by the fact that all my gym partners have deserted me and although I was motivated enough to go for the last month, it's getting harder), I made it to the gym this morning.

Ran 2 miles, walked a third mile and did my physio exercises.  Have another physio appt tonight so I'm hoping for  - actually I have no idea what I'm hoping for.  I would like someone to magically replace my shoulder with a different shoulder.  

I'm really glad to have this thread because it is the only thing keeping me going to the gym these days.

Going to the gym despite all the obstacles  :thumbup: . 

• Like 5

First of all, thanks again to Accidental Coach for starting this thread way back when!  it helps keep me accountable and when I've forgotten to write down my exercise, I can usually come back here and find what I did!

Yesterday was a rest day. Sat the plan was to go to the gym with dh and do a strength training workout followed by a swim. Ds decided to come, which was good, but we ended up leaving an hour later than planned. (Not my fault for once!)  Because the pool closes 1/2 hour earlier than the rest of the gym and the gym closes 4:00 pm on Sat, I had to swim first and lift second, which wasn't ideal. 

Got in 1/2 hour of swimming at a low-moderate pace. Swam a little over .4 miles. I wanted to go slowly because I hadn't swum in a while and I have an easily offended shoulder. I really really wanted to put in a few spring laps but resisted. 

After swimming, dh and ds were done, so I did a minimal workout : 2 sets each on assisted pull up, chest press, hamstring curl, and donkey kick-back machine. (Don't know what its real name is!) 

Last night, I didn't get in bed till 11:45 which is 7 hours before my alarm goes off. I am writing this here so maybe my late night brain will remember it. I need at least 1/2 hour cushion, preferably an hour, till wake up time so that I can be sure to get 7 hours sleep! DUH!  Though I fell asleep relatively fast, dh waked me up when he got up in the middle of the night and so then that was another amount of time not sleeping. So I probably got 6 1/2 hours sleep, maybe less. I have always been a night owl and going to bed at 10:45 -11:15 seems way too early!  On the other hand, I've worked myself back considerably from 1:00 am, so there's that.  :001_rolleyes:

• Like 6

Got in 1.5 hrs at the gym with my friend, had a blast. I love working out with her!

Got in a set of deadlifts at 145lb, WOOT! More than bodyweight baby!

Didn't go up in weight on squats and bench but got more reps at the higher weight.

Oh, and she showed me a new lift, instead of bent over rows we did TBar rows, those were awesome. It uses different muscles and I could do way more weight than the regular row, which made me feel like Wonder Woman- did up to 90lbs on it! 

Did my OH press last again so they kinda sucked, oh well, I'd rather work on the bigger lifts.

That is great news!

That's awesome!

• Like 2

Strength training at the gym this morning. I'm slowly moving up in weight. Benched 85lbs for the first time today so that was fun. Also did some rear leg elevated split squats with 35 lbs a hand in addition to pull downs, rows, face pulls, and a bunch of arm stuff with 8 lb dumbbells. 

Yesterday was a rest day. 

• Like 8

No walk yesterday, but I did get in a lovely visit with my dear friend I haven't seen in weeks, that was good for the soul.

I did do a bit of exercising with my scout girls, we did some cardio stuff and stretching, we stayed busy around 20 minutes or so. 

Tonight the kids have TKD and I'm lifting. Ds is sick :( Fingers crossed he feels better today and no one else gets sick.

It's sunny and only -5 C today. Ds 11 and I are heading out cross-country skiing while the other dc are doing their chemistry course. Fun stuff!

Only -5, sweet :) 

First of all, thanks again to Accidental Coach for starting this thread way back when!  it helps keep me accountable and when I've forgotten to write down my exercise, I can usually come back here and find what I did!

Yesterday was a rest day. Sat the plan was to go to the gym with dh and do a strength training workout followed by a swim. Ds decided to come, which was good, but we ended up leaving an hour later than planned. (Not my fault for once!)  Because the pool closes 1/2 hour earlier than the rest of the gym and the gym closes 4:00 pm on Sat, I had to swim first and lift second, which wasn't ideal. 

Got in 1/2 hour of swimming at a low-moderate pace. Swam a little over .4 miles. I wanted to go slowly because I hadn't swum in a while and I have an easily offended shoulder. I really really wanted to put in a few spring laps but resisted. 

After swimming, dh and ds were done, so I did a minimal workout : 2 sets each on assisted pull up, chest press, hamstring curl, and donkey kick-back machine. (Don't know what its real name is!) 

Last night, I didn't get in bed till 11:45 which is 7 hours before my alarm goes off. I am writing this here so maybe my late night brain will remember it. I need at least 1/2 hour cushion, preferably an hour, till wake up time so that I can be sure to get 7 hours sleep! DUH!  Though I fell asleep relatively fast, dh waked me up when he got up in the middle of the night and so then that was another amount of time not sleeping. So I probably got 6 1/2 hours sleep, maybe less. I have always been a night owl and going to bed at 10:45 -11:15 seems way too early!  On the other hand, I've worked myself back considerably from 1:00 am, so there's that.  :001_rolleyes:

I'm impressed by your swimming and getting in a workout afterwards too, I would have been totally spent. You are making progress on your sleep even if it isn't where you want it to be, maybe when you retire you can go to the sleep schedule you prefer and get in all the hours you need :) 

Im still working through my half marathon training (up to 8mile long runs) and using beach body workouts for cross training.

You are making good progress, when is your half?

(hugs) that sucks about your workout partners :( It is really hard to have your routine changed. Is there a time you can go that would work better? Maybe go early and get it done with? Glad you made it to the gym anyway, you will find your new groove.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t remember where I last left off. Between selling GS cookies and dealing with a sick kid, there have been a few more rest days thrown in the mix. Last week I got one bike workout, a treadmill hill workout plus another run and some simple strength training from my book for runnerĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s. And a lot of walking.

Dd is maybe finally feeling better and so far it seems to have stuck with her and not spread to the rest of the family. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m hopeful that it stays that way because this GI bug of hers has not been a 24 hour thing. Dh and I are supposed to go workout together today. I usually have a plan all figured out for the week, but aside from an overly optimistic hope that weĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll sell the last 300 or so boxes by Sunday, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ve got nothing.

UGH, hope your dd is well soon and it misses you, this has been a horrible season. Can't wait to hear about your workout with your hubby, color me jealous.

I didn't weigh either. I, too, am watching what I eat and exercising. My abdomen feels less tight and wonky and my clothes fit better (not great but better). I need to take steps to change my reactions to certain types of stress but I am making progress. I have to remind myself that this is about wellbeing and fitness, not just about weight loss. 

I hope you get out for some exercise.

My plan for the day is a protein shake for breakfast, flavored quinoa for lunch, walking on the treadmill(hoping to finish my last 4.5 miles), tennis practice (4-7:30), and then something (I haven't decided what) for dinner. 

Yes, health is the focus, the scale is just a number. Hope your day went well.

Strength training at the gym this morning. I'm slowly moving up in weight. Benched 85lbs for the first time today so that was fun. Also did some rear leg elevated split squats with 35 lbs a hand in addition to pull downs, rows, face pulls, and a bunch of arm stuff with 8 lb dumbbells. 

Yesterday was a rest day. 

Rawr! Good job! 85 lbs is great! I'm hoping to hit maybe 75 this week but we'll see. Those split squats sound brutal and I don't know what face pulls are but again, they sound scary!

• Like 5

Work got in the way of my afternoon workout so I did not complete my 4.5 miles on the treadmill. I did get 3.5 hours of on court coaching which involved lots of movement. My eating was great and I felt good all day. I had lots of energy which I hesitantly attribute to the Plexus belly buster drink.

Today I had my egg sandwich for breakfast and a cup of hot cocoa. I'll have my belly buster for lunch and then it's 2 hours of cardio with each of the teams (4 hours total). I am so psyched that this old woman can keep up with these young adults; actually, when you consider that I do it twice, I surpass them).

Let's kick it today!!

• Like 5

Had a bad morning. I can't go to my run tonight as I have a work dinner with dh so I thought I'd run today. Had running clothes on. It's windy outside with a nasty wind chill. Freezing. So I ended up reading on the couch in front of the fire and then I *made cookies*! ??? I only made a 1/4 batch and then I ate three and threw the rest away, but what???  

Now I'm feeling a little draggy - probably the sugar. I had a shower and I'm leaving the house to run a few errands. Will try to put this behind me. However, time on the couch and sugary foods is really all I did last winter so I think I'll schedule the next few days tightly and just keep very busy. And very active. 

I get to go away in one week. Just for a few days, but it will be nice to get a blast of sunshine and heat. 

• Like 5

Had a bad morning. I can't go to my run tonight as I have a work dinner with dh so I thought I'd run today. Had running clothes on. It's windy outside with a nasty wind chill. Freezing. So I ended up reading on the couch in front of the fire and then I *made cookies*! ??? I only made a 1/4 batch and then I ate three and threw the rest away, but what???  

Now I'm feeling a little draggy - probably the sugar. I had a shower and I'm leaving the house to run a few errands. Will try to put this behind me. However, time on the couch and sugary foods is really all I did last winter so I think I'll schedule the next few days tightly and just keep very busy. And very active. 

I get to go away in one week. Just for a few days, but it will be nice to get a blast of sunshine and heat. 

It's about balance, right? Run a bunch, then curl up by the fire and munch on cookies. Nothing wrong with that. I wish I had a wood-burning fireplace. I'd probably do exactly the same thing. ;)

• Like 3

I was thinking that badminton and squash would be good options as well. The racquets and balls are lighter. 

Not to pull you away from fencing, by any means. You seem to really enjoy the sport and it's a family affair. Just throwing out some ideas to cross-train without the tedium of a gym. ;)

I think those would be great if I had prior experience with them, but realistically picking up another skill sport, especially having flare ups of tennis elbow as I have from fencing probably isn't a good idea. I was thinking about something like swimming, with strong cardio element. Last couple of days while fencing I noticed again that I can hold a bout or even lead till around 10 touches, and then let my opponent get the last 5 because I just can't keep my focus.

I had a rest day on Saturday, and  a competition on Sunday, where I didn't do spectacularly, but I won 1 bout and felt my brain "reset" back into fencing. I also measured my blood pressure after finishing and lugging our equipment back to the car for 3 blocks. 113/78 (with HR 100). Yay! I was a bit scared that competing will be something I won't be able to do, but I survived :)

Yesterday was a private lesson and a bit of open fencing, where I felt like I had a much clearer head.

• Like 3

I think those would be great if I had prior experience with them, but realistically picking up another skill sport, especially having flare ups of tennis elbow as I have from fencing probably isn't a good idea. I was thinking about something like swimming, with strong cardio element. Last couple of days while fencing I noticed again that I can hold a bout or even lead till around 10 touches, and then let my opponent get the last 5 because I just can't keep my focus.

I had a rest day on Saturday, and  a competition on Sunday, where I didn't do spectacularly, but I won 1 bout and felt my brain "reset" back into fencing. I also measured my blood pressure after finishing and lugging our equipment back to the car for 3 blocks. 113/78 (with HR 100). Yay! I was a bit scared that competing will be something I won't be able to do, but I survived :)

Yesterday was a private lesson and a bit of open fencing, where I felt like I had a much clearer head.

The losing focus near the end of a bout sounds like an experience thing, unless you were also losing energy/focus as the result of fitness. 

Have you asked your coach or other ladies around your age what sorts of things they've tried over the years for cross-training? 

• Like 3

The losing focus near the end of a bout sounds like an experience thing, unless you were also losing energy/focus as the result of fitness. 

Have you asked your coach or other ladies around your age what sorts of things they've tried over the years for cross-training? 

I guess it is experience thing. It is definitely more pronounced during competitions. I thought maybe if I am not as physically tired, I'll be able to keep my focus better? I do feel tired after 2 minutes or so, and the break is at 3 (in competitions, in practice we just go to 15 or more without breaks). So I guess cardio, too? And another thing, I mostly fence teenage girls. Veteran fencing goes only to 10 touches.

My coach mostly works with very high-level teens, who can go for hours, so he doesn't have a lot of experience there. Plus, there probably are less than a 1000 ladies over 40 in all three weapons who fence in the whole of the US, and I might be overestimating the number. The only lady who I talked to who did any cross-training said that gym/weightlifting helped her. Most high-profile fencers do jogging or swimming in addition to strength training, with some plyometrics. But there we are talking about hours a day devoted to training and completely different level of fencing.

I guess for now I'll just continue with my strength training routine and practice fencing :) Plus, I need to get back to intervals on the bike. And, once it gets warmer, swimming.

• Like 3

Bad thing about upping exercise is it makes me very hungry.  Which is understandable, but annoying.  I feel like I'm eating too much, but then when I look back to what I ate in the day it is never excessive and probably in line with the amount of exercise I've done. But it's like I feel guilty.  Which is stupid. 

I don't want to track things. 

I'm just whining....carry on...LOL

• Like 3

Got a little walk today.

Went to the gym and was just not feeling it so I did my basic lifts and called it good. I'm thinking it is likely due to my impending period. Blah.

Anyway, good enough is good enough. I was there about 40 minutes. Didn't try to push it with the weights too hard. Here's hoping Thursday is a better day!

Bad thing about upping exercise is it makes me very hungry.  Which is understandable, but annoying.  I feel like I'm eating too much, but then when I look back to what I ate in the day it is never excessive and probably in line with the amount of exercise I've done. But it's like I feel guilty.  Which is stupid. 

LOL, lots of cardio does that to me too! 

• Like 3

I don't think tracking will help much, it just makes me not eat when I want, what I want, and I feel hungrier. I do mark days when I feel hungrier than usual, but so far cannot see any patterns.

I haven't done anything today yet, leaving for fencing in about 20 minutes, but I am starving all day today. Could be almost 2 hours of working out yesterday? Or maybe it's because I ate what felt like all day but still have more than enough calories for dinner, even before counting the calories I am going to burn fencing.

• Like 3

Work got in the way of my afternoon workout so I did not complete my 4.5 miles on the treadmill. I did get 3.5 hours of on court coaching which involved lots of movement. My eating was great and I felt good all day. I had lots of energy which I hesitantly attribute to the Plexus belly buster drink.

Today I had my egg sandwich for breakfast and a cup of hot cocoa. I'll have my belly buster for lunch and then it's 2 hours of cardio with each of the teams (4 hours total). I am so psyched that this old woman can keep up with these young adults; actually, when you consider that I do it twice, I surpass them).

Let's kick it today!!

Very impressive!

And what is a belly buster? 

• Like 2

We heat with wood. On a day like you describe, the fire would be calling my name, too! )And no way would cold wimp go outside to exercise in weather like that! Sometimes just a cold cloudy day takes the want-to out of me as far as doing anything.)  The fire, OTOH is beautiful and warm and there is something primal about it. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5

Yesterday, I did nothing. Not even sure why not. 

Today, I got to the gym but still had to invert what I think is the optimum set up. I swam 1/2 mile in just over 30 min. My shoulder didn't start to complain about anything till lap 37. (44 is 1/2 mi) so that was actually very good. I didn't do any sprints again. It would be optimal for my cardio, but I want to make sure that the shoulder is on board first! 

After swimming (gosh, the shower and changing took so much longer than I had estimated), I only did 2 sets of lifts on assisted pull ups, chest press, hamstring curl, and donkey leg kick back. I think the swimming really kicks my upper body. It will be interesting to see what I can do next time I get in there and lift without swimming first! 

And when I got home, I actually did my flexibility exercises! I think it helped that I did trap stretches in the car on the way home. It was at least something. The dog got right up under me though when I was trying to do snow angels on a foam roller.  She always thinks if I've taken the time to get on the floor that it's all about her!  :001_rolleyes:  Funny, cause I never play with her on the floor!  

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 6

I got some unwanted exercise when I got my van stuck in the snow in a driveway this afternoon.  :cursing:    Then I went to choir rehearsal and let off some steam. 

SparklyUnicorn - I'm eating like a horse after the skiing yesterday. I can understand about eating a lot yesterday, but I'm still starving today. Kind of weird.  :confused1:

Anyone notice how buff the female pairs figure skaters are in the Olympics? They must work-out a lot on upper body to help with all those lifts they have to do. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

I got in my cortisol results, as expected my cortisol is too high at night and low during the day. The high at night is what is causing some of my sleep trouble. I feel like if I could get my sleep lined out I'd be doing ok. On the days my sleep is good my energy is ok, not great but maybe if I got sleep every night it would be. Last night I woke at 3 but was probably back asleep by 5(I was still awake at 4:15 when dh woke up but getting sleepy) and woke up at 6:30. 

We are going to have a couple of warmer days so I'm hoping we get some outside time (if the rain isn't too bad).

I got some unwanted exercise when I got my van stuck in the snow in a driveway this afternoon.  :cursing:    Then I went to choir rehearsal and let off some steam. 

SparklyUnicorn - I'm eating like a horse after the skiing yesterday. I can understand about eating a lot yesterday, but I'm still starving today. Kind of weird.  :confused1:

Anyone notice how buff the female pairs figure skaters are in the Olympics? They must work-out a lot on upper body to help with all those lifts they have to do. 

Boo about the car!

Yesterday, I did nothing. Not even sure why not. 

Today, I got to the gym but still had to invert what I think is the optimum set up. I swam 1/2 mile in just over 30 min. My shoulder didn't start to complain about anything till lap 37. (44 is 1/2 mi) so that was actually very good. I didn't do any sprints again. It would be optimal for my cardio, but I want to make sure that the shoulder is on board first! 

After swimming (gosh, the shower and changing took so much longer than I had estimated), I only did 2 sets of lifts on assisted pull ups, chest press, hamstring curl, and donkey leg kick back. I think the swimming really kicks my upper body. It will be interesting to see what I can do next time I get in there and lift without swimming first! 

And when I got home, I actually did my flexibility exercises! I think it helped that I did trap stretches in the car on the way home. It was at least something. The dog got right up under me though when I was trying to do snow angels on a foam roller.  She always thinks if I've taken the time to get on the floor that it's all about her!  :001_rolleyes:  Funny, cause I never play with her on the floor!  

I'm super impressed with the swimming, that is awesome. I think it is great you can do anything at all after that much swimming! The dog is adorable, I've never had inside dogs but that reminds me of my toddlers!

I don't think tracking will help much, it just makes me not eat when I want, what I want, and I feel hungrier. I do mark days when I feel hungrier than usual, but so far cannot see any patterns.

I haven't done anything today yet, leaving for fencing in about 20 minutes, but I am starving all day today. Could be almost 2 hours of working out yesterday? Or maybe it's because I ate what felt like all day but still have more than enough calories for dinner, even before counting the calories I am going to burn fencing.

I bet it was yesterday. Often exercise with suppress my appetite temporarily but then it comes back later with a vengeance.

• Like 3

Very impressive!

And what is a belly buster? 

Thanks. Yesterday was even better. I completed the 4.5 miles on the treadmill and did 15 interval bike sprints (X3). I was in the fitness center with the teams for 3 hours. I had to push it so I could keep up with them but I stayed the course and finished strong. Thank goodness today is an on court practice. All I should have to do is feed balls and get in a bit of running.

A belly buster is a Plexus thing. One of my tennis buddies sells it. It's supposed to help regulate blood sugars and provide energy. I think it's an over-hyped slim fast but she's running a challenge group this week and, since I like challenges, I joined. I will not be buying into Plexus long term as the shake tastes nasty. My energy seems to be up for a few hours after I drink it, however, and my late afternoon cravings have diminished considerably.

--

Today's plan - a gluten free egg sandwich and hot chocolate for breakfast, a belly buster for lunch, 3.5 hours of coaching this afternoon, then a roast turkey and vegetable dinner. After dinner, I'll be going swimming (so it will be a light dinner).

I like having a plan and a relatively set schedule. It's helping me stay on track. All of this exercise has been so good for my brain!!

Ironman update:

Biking (112 miles) - complete

Running (26.1 miles) - complete

Swimming (2.4 miles) - in progress

• Like 6

We heat with wood. On a day like you describe, the fire would be calling my name, too! )And no way would cold wimp go outside to exercise in weather like that! Sometimes just a cold cloudy day takes the want-to out of me as far as doing anything.)  The fire, OTOH is beautiful and warm and there is something primal about it. 

When I got home from tennis practice the other day (around 8pm), the aroma of a fire greeted me upon opening my car door. DH and a fire lit and the living room was so cheery and welcoming. Of course, DD & DGD were wrapped in blankets sitting in front of it so I had to sit on the couch. It was comforting.

• Like 6

It's about balance, right? Run a bunch, then curl up by the fire and munch on cookies. Nothing wrong with that. I wish I had a wood-burning fireplace. I'd probably do exactly the same thing. ;)

I have issues with sugar, so I don't tend to do balance well if sugar gets involved. I'm also still terrified of seasonal depression, so any hint of it is enough to cause me a lot of anxiety. Reading your post yesterday helped me get my head back on straight - a day in front of the fire when it's cold and horrible outside should be ok - even with cookies. It was just hard with the alarm bells ringing in my head, "Oh, no! It's happening again!!!"

I showered and got out of the house for a while and then went out to a work dinner with dh, so the day ended well. I was happy to dress up and go out. I had some interesting conversations and a nice meal and lovely wine. I got up this morning and had a great time at the gym and I've got a Valentine's Dinner to look forward to tonight. I feel like I've got lots of energy and I'm looking forward to tackling today's to-do list. So, yesterday wasn't the end of the world. 

• Like 5

https://preventionrd.com/2015/08/sesame-cabbage-salad-with-grilled-salmon/

Supper tonight! MMM!

For the slaw -

I only used the sesame oil and added extra vinegar (I like mine with a tang)

Used 2 T sesame seeds and no almonds

I only did about half the cabbage and soy sauce

I just used dried chives b/c I didn't have green onions

and pan sauteed my fish. 

whew...victory

I had ZERO energy and my motivation was in the negative.  LOL  I went to the stupid gym anyway.  Go me!

Go you!

• Like 5

#764 on the It Can Only Happen To Me list - I was trying to leave the Y but my car wouldn't start. This was/is just a tad frustrating since I just got my car back from the body shop and it's supposed to be perfect. Being the resourceful woman I am, I thought to myself "Hey, you've got AAA. Put that membership to good use." I called the Hotline and was told that due to heavy fog in my hometown area none of their contractors were operating and they had to look outside of my area to find someone to come give me a jump start. That's right folks - out of the area; evidently people in my hometown cannot operate in fog (or they just didn't want to leave their comfy Lazy Boy recliners, beer, and the Olympics). The kicker is there's no freakin' fog. None. Nada. I could literally stand outside the Y and see for miles (well, if it wasn't dark and if I would have worn my glasses but you get my drift). So, while I'm sitting there waiting for my out-of-area knight in a tow truck I got the brilliant idea to go back into the Y and ask one of those fantastic looking body builders for help. Of course two fine looking men came to my aid and, with tales of caution and a safety plan in case we got lost in the fog, we were able to get my car started in less than 30 seconds. Thank goodness body builders have x-ray vision and can see through fog and know how to reattach the battery cable that the autobody shop didn't tighten. I can only hope that these might men don't have super noses 'cause after three hours of tennis practice and an hour on the rowing machine I think I have some mighty powerful stink going on.

--

On the flip side I did get in three hours of tennis practice and one hour on the rowing machine. 

• Like 5

#764 on the It Can Only Happen To Me list - I was trying to leave the Y but my car wouldn't start. This was/is just a tad frustrating since I just got my car back from the body shop and it's supposed to be perfect. Being the resourceful woman I am, I thought to myself "Hey, you've got AAA. Put that membership to good use." I called the Hotline and was told that due to heavy fog in my hometown area none of their contractors were operating and they had to look outside of my area to find someone to come give me a jump start. That's right folks - out of the area; evidently people in my hometown cannot operate in fog (or they just didn't want to leave their comfy Lazy Boy recliners, beer, and the Olympics). The kicker is there's no freakin' fog. None. Nada. I could literally stand outside the Y and see for miles (well, if it wasn't dark and if I would have worn my glasses but you get my drift). So, while I'm sitting there waiting for my out-of-area knight in a tow truck I got the brilliant idea to go back into the Y and ask one of those fantastic looking body builders for help. Of course two fine looking men came to my aid and, with tales of caution and a safety plan in case we got lost in the fog, we were able to get my car started in less than 30 seconds. Thank goodness body builders have x-ray vision and can see through fog and know how to reattach the battery cable that the autobody shop didn't tighten. I can only hope that these might men don't have super noses 'cause after three hours of tennis practice and an hour on the rowing machine I think I have some mighty powerful stink going on.

--

On the flip side I did get in three hours of tennis practice and one hour on the rowing machine. 

Oh geesh! 

• Like 1

Sounds like the body builders should be the go-to plan always! ;) Ditch that AAA membership.  Glad you got the car started and got home safely. And congrats on 3 hours of tennis plus a bonus hour of rowing. Good thing you didn't have to push the car. Your arms must have been gone by then. 

• Like 2