Menu

If you have lost a significant amount of weight

DawnM

Can I butt in for a minute to ask how you ladies fit in 10K steps a day while homeschooling? I can find time on my day for half an hour for a walk, barely (can't run while pregnant), but while that adds some, it doesn't get me near 10k a day. I feel like my day is moving from one place to another to sit. Read to this child, switch the laundry, sit in my chair and do math with another child, grab the preschooler and redirect him, back to my chair for working with a third child, make lunch, go upstairs to sit on the floor to work with the high schooler. There's only so much I can do while walking in place; if I'm not still, it's hard to read the math boon or whatever. I feel like I'm running all over all day and on my feet a lot, but unless I go grocery shopping, I'm not hitting close to 10K steps a day, and I do spend a lot of the day sitting (or standing in place). How are y'all doing it?

My electric toothbrush goes for 2 minutes. I walk around the great room while I brush my teeth. I walk during every phone call.  I set a timer for 10-15 minutes a couple times a day to dance around to favorite music.  They aren't big things, but they make a big difference.  I remember reading a study a while back that explored the benefits of moving throughout the day versus walking for 30 minutes at one time and then being inactive throughout the rest of the day and have tried to keep that in mind.

• Like 4

Right, but you have to find what makes sense to you.

No, doing one little thing brings 0 results.  

I am really not looking for anyone else's solution necessarily, but I do like hearing what has worked for various people.  

I think what she was saying is not that you only need to do one thing - but that right now, you are really dealing with a lot of change!!  So maybe, while you're researching and considering, work on just one small change that you already know you need to make....

Anne

• Like 3

I think what she was saying is not that you only need to do one thing - but that right now, you are really dealing with a lot of change!!  So maybe, while you're researching and considering, work on just one small change that you already know you need to make....

Anne

I have actually pretty much decided what I am doing, but I was really just wanting inspiration and why I specifically asked for stories, not advice. Knowing how others lost can be helpful, not only for me, but for others who may look into plans.

• Like 2

As to how to get steps..one of my methods is to go to Target or Walmart and walk pretty much every aisle. Or at least the grocery store. However...remember to put the fitbit in your pocket, as it tends to not count steps well when your hands are stationary on the cart. 

I've heard people say that, but I've had two Fitbits and both of them seem(ed) to record steps just fine when I'm pushing a cart. i have, however, learned to take it off before I get on the riding mower. It thinks I'm on a bicycle. :lol:

• Like 1

I've heard people say that, but I've had two Fitbits and both of them seem(ed) to record steps just fine when I'm pushing a cart. i have, however, learned to take it off before I get on the riding mower. It thinks I'm on a bicycle. :lol:

I have heard of people who do competitions and put them on their dogs and on various devices to get their counts up!

I used to be on the WTM Fitbit thing, I should rejoin if it is still there.

• Like 1

Huh. Mine records some steps, but not most of them. Today I stuck it in my waistband of my pants...looked odd but I didn't have any pockets. I've heard others put it on their ankle, but they must have smaller ankles than I do. 

SaveSave

• Like 2

I have a Fitbit One that stays clipped to my bra. Getting in steps takes a lot of effort on my part, even though I am constantly up and down and doing stuff around the house. My house is tiny. When I am on the phone, I pace back and forth. When I can't pace, like when I am doing the dishes, I do side steps back and forth, or kickbacks ( like Leslie Sansone). I get in quite a few steps that way. 

Oh, edited to add, when I watch a show, I either walk forward and backward, march in place, or do sidesteps the whole time. I have been known to pace while reading, but that is a bit harder. 

Edited by VaKim
  • Like 1

Can I butt in for a minute to ask how you ladies fit in 10K steps a day while homeschooling? I can find time on my day for half an hour for a walk, barely (can't run while pregnant), but while that adds some, it doesn't get me near 10k a day. I feel like my day is moving from one place to another to sit. Read to this child, switch the laundry, sit in my chair and do math with another child, grab the preschooler and redirect him, back to my chair for working with a third child, make lunch, go upstairs to sit on the floor to work with the high schooler. There's only so much I can do while walking in place; if I'm not still, it's hard to read the math boon or whatever. I feel like I'm running all over all day and on my feet a lot, but unless I go grocery shopping, I'm not hitting close to 10K steps a day, and I do spend a lot of the day sitting (or standing in place). How are y'all doing it?

Brisk walking intentionally making time for it.

You're right, if I don't add that time to my day, it's hard to get that many steps. I also do things like set up my ironing board 2-3 steps from the dryer so I have to take those extra few steps to fold and iron as I remove things from the dryer.

PAcing on the phone helps.

I also started keeping better track of the little things around the house that should be cleaned more frequently. Stuff like baseboards and trim, ceiling fans, etc. Noticing and hitting those chores once a week helps me stay moving. But yeah, I don't try to get the steps in during the homeschool day. It's before and after that I tackle the steps.

It also helps if I think of it in terms of Take this many steps before breakfast, this many before lunch this many in the afternoon and this many in the evening.