Menu

What curriculum would you use to remediate....

You might look at High Noon with his age. 

It is known for not seeming babyish to older kids who might be bothered by things seeming babyish. 

There is a poster Pen who used it with her son and it worked out well with her.

Abecedarian (www.abcdrp.com) has "older student" version of its levels, too. 

It will depend on the kid if the "babyish" thing is going to be an issue or not. 

Edited by Lecka

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I will have to spend some time researching suggestions because I am not familiar with any of them.  The only programs I have ever used are Beginning Steps to Reading and Bartons.  Gut reaction (just from looking at the home page of each of the websites) I am leaning towards Phonics Pathways.  I like the format plus "cheap and cheerful" sounds good.   :001_smile:  

I don't think the babyish thing will be a problem with him, although it might be for me.   :tongue_smilie:

SWR looks like an awesome program, but maybe too....I don't know.... intense?  If that's the right word.  I would like to keep this fun and lighthearted.  Working during the summer....not "school"......if that makes any sense.   :001_smile:

• Like 1

Dancing bears. Funny, not babyish, lots of practice,gets done quickly. Content warning: Very secular and British, so lots of mention of bars, beer, and jail. Also nude Danes. And hedgehog crisps (my kids favourite). Age appropriate, but it does assume a degree of worldliness that some might find objectionable.

• Like 1

Glad you are getting great suggestions. I am wondering, though, if the programs you have used were used with this child or another? If they were used with this child and they still aren't reading at all, has this child ever had any sort of evaluation? Developmental vision screening? Neuropsych? Dyslexia screening?

Edited by OneStepAtATime

Glad you are getting great suggestions. I am wondering, though, if the programs you have used were used with this child or another? If they were used with this child and they still aren't reading at all, has this child ever had any sort of evaluation? Developmental vision screening? Neuropsych? Dyslexia screening?

I used Beginning Steps and Bartons with my 3, the youngest of which is dyslexic.

I was asking for suggestions for a neighbor's child who I will hopefully be tutoring next school year.  Or maybe through the summer.  Youngest of a whole bunch of children.  Family moves a lot, home schools, and they littlest just fell through the cracks, I guess.  :sad:

• Like 1

Why has he not learned to read? Has he been in school? Because if he has and hasn't learned to read, I would really wonder about learning issues.

I think the only reason he hasn't learned to read is that no one has taken the time to teach him.  No public school.  I don't want to say too much, but he has a very difficult home situation.  Loving but difficult.  :crying:

(Have you ever met a child that you wish that you could just grab and take for your own?)  

If you still have Barton it couldn't hurt to run through the first two levels to solidify basics. If the child flies through then it shouldn't take long. If they struggle then there very well may be an underlying learning challenge.

I do still have levels 2 through 4.  I might try that for him, but I was thinking that maybe I should use something that I could make as much progress in as short a time as possible.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with using Barton with him.  It's very possible that there *are* undiagnosed challenges going on in the family.  How frequently will you work with him?  With a typical dc, you could probably *easily* do a lesson a day of Barton, stuff that would take SLD kids weeks.  The reading models are age-appropriate for him in Barton.  There's not really a reason why you can't.

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with using Barton with him.  It's very possible that there *are* undiagnosed challenges going on in the family.  How frequently will you work with him?  With a typical dc, you could probably *easily* do a lesson a day of Barton, stuff that would take SLD kids weeks.  The reading models are age-appropriate for him in Barton.  There's not really a reason why you can't.

Good point.   :001_smile:   I have a tendency to think of Barton's as a very slow, plodding program.  It is taking us f.o.r.e.v.er. to get through the lessons.  Obviously, though, if there are no learning challenges we could speed right through.

I am hoping to work with him every day.

Good point. :001_smile: I have a tendency to think of Barton's as a very slow, plodding program. It is taking us f.o.r.e.v.er. to get through the lessons. Obviously, though, if there are no learning challenges we could speed right through.

I am hoping to work with him every day.

This is why I think Barton might be very helpful to use, at least just to try it out. With a neurotypical child that just needs some targeted reading instruction Barton shouldn't be plodding at all. He could probably do a full lesson each day and retain the material. He might even be able to finish Level 2 in 2 weeks or even less. If Level 2 proves challenging then that gives you more information. He may very well have an undiagnosed learning challenge. He may need to go back to something like Barton Level 1 or even LiPS.

DD took a very long time to get through Level 1 and Level 2. A very long time. DS whipped through Level 1 in 5 days (I insisted he only do one lesson each day even though he wanted to go faster). Level 2 DS finished in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, the point is that if you were to just try out Level 2 of Barton it might give him the solid foundation he needs to move forward or it might help you find that he has deficits that go beyond just lack of instruction. It helps either way. I wouldn't suggest it if you didn't already own it but since you do...

And yeah, I definitely get wanting to scoop up a child and protect/cherish/take care of them. Cheers to you for trying to help.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On%20Reading/WellTaughtPhonicsStudent.html

The good news is that with no sight word guessing habits, it should be quick!! I had two 2nd grade formerly homeless minority boys reading at the 12th grade level after 6 sessions with this material.

If he could watch my online phonics lessons at home, that would help, too.

Of the regular phonics methods, Phonics Pathways is the easiest and it goes to a fairly high grade level.

Even if you don't use the anything else in my first link, I would at least do the syllable division exercises. Older students are easily able to read multisyllable words once syllable division rules have been explained, and you might as well practice basic phonics while working at higher level things, sounding out each syllable then the whole word. It is much more efficient that way for an older student.

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1