Menu

Okay, for the record, I also couldn't care much less than I do about what Matt Damon says about politics.

However, as the mom of a couple of performers, I can't let this slide.

My daughter--the 13-year-old college sophomore and one of the brightest people any of us are ever likely to meet--is planning to make a living as an actor. She also happens to be very interested in and well informed about politics. In fact, if she decides against the major in theatre/arts management, she may go for political science and then on to law school with an eye toward some kind of public service.

She--and by extension her mom--take exception to this wholesale characterization of actors as people who "play pretend and lie." There is a very great deal more to acting than that. And the fact that someone chooses to be an artist does not and should not mean that they check their intelligence or their right to have and express an informed opinon at the door.

If the actor has credentials, sure. For example, if David Duchovney (who loved, it seemed, everyone but me) held a press conference and spoke about the latest controversy about interpretations of Jane Austin, I would probably listen to him because of his background in English lit. (Though I'm not sure his specialization had anything to do with Austen.)

I suppose we all use what bully pulpits that are available to us, though. Paul Newman spoke out politically, and he had a lot of clout. Is it that he "earned" the right to not be criticized (like Bono, maybe?) because of his charity work?

Anyway, thanks for the food for thought, and I will say I guess I spoke too rashly.

Except that the "community organizer" is the job he (or his campaigners) claims as executive experience (as well as running his own campaign). So, I'm comparing what each claims as executive experience. He didn't get executive experience as an attorney/professor.

I realize there is a lot more to each of these...and I have NO idea how Sarah Palin got to be where she is today with her family and all...I could not have done it. And, I have no idea whether she can withstand the rigors and ugliness of Washington. We do know that the other 3 can and have. But, since I don't think any of the other 3 have done a good job so far, I'd be happy for her to have a shot at it.

It's not just liberals, Rebecca.

Maybe but I can't right now think of a conservative actor entertainer that pontificates at the Oscars or other places where they should in my opinion keep their opinion to themselves. I am sure tho that some one will refresh my memory :D We are talking about entertainers right :001_smile:

Except that the "community organizer" is the job he (or his campaigners) claims as executive experience (as well as running his own campaign). So, I'm comparing what each claims as executive experience. He didn't get executive experience as an attorney/professor.

I realize there is a lot more to each of these...and I have NO idea how Sarah Palin got to be where she is today with her family and all...I could not have done it. And, I have no idea whether she can withstand the rigors and ugliness of Washington. We do know that the other 3 can and have. But, since I don't think any of the other 3 have done a good job so far, I'd be happy for her to have a shot at it.

I don't guess I give much credence to the notion that community organization is executive experience, so I didn't understand what you were getting at there.

I suppose we all use what bully pulpits that are available to us, though. Paul Newman spoke out politically, and he had a lot of clout. Is it that he "earned" the right to not be criticized (like Bono, maybe?) because of his charity work?

That is it and the manner in which he did it :001_smile: I did respect Newman and listened to what he had to say. He was more than just a bully pulpit or smug or.... He was humble and had some class about him.

I don't guess I give much credence to the notion that community organization is executive experience, so I didn't understand what you were getting at there.

My point, exactly! If his campaign wants to use his community organizer job as the position that gave him "executive experience" (as I've heard them say), then I *can* compare his executive experience to Palin's executive experience. I'm simply using their own logic (community organizer = executive experience).

Maybe but I can't right now think of a conservative actor entertainer that pontificates at the Oscars or other places where they should in my opinion keep their opinion to themselves. I am sure tho that some one will refresh my memory :D We are talking about entertainers right :001_smile:

Stallone, Jon Voight, Bruce Willis, Angie Harmon, David Zucker, Jon Cryer, Lionel Chetwynd, Craig T. Nelson, Craig Haffner, Robert Duvall

I don't know if any of them pontificate (except for Voight).

My point, exactly! If his campaign wants to use his community organizer job as the position that gave him "executive experience" (as I've heard them say), then I *can* compare his executive experience to Palin's executive experience. I'm simply using their own logic (community organizer = executive experience).

Speaking for myself, I didn't say it gave him "executive experience." I said I cared more about applicable experience than "executive experience." I think his experience (executive or otherwise) makes him more ready for the presidency. But that's just my opinion. I don't subscribe those beliefs to you, Obama supporters, the Obama campaign or anyone else.

Stallone, Jon Voight, Bruce Willis, Angie Harmon, David Zucker, Jon Cryer, Lionel Chetwynd, Craig T. Nelson, Craig Haffner, Robert Duvall

Oh, Bruce Willis certainly does. Don't you all recall him saying on one of those late night talk shows (I think it was Letterman but I could be recalling wrong) that the union workers on movie sets are what made movies so expensive to make?

Well, I've never heard his *campaign* do this, though some campaigning for him might try to make that point, and perhaps you could address them individually. To ascribe this to his campaign, or rather for me to believe it comes from his campaign, would need a citation.

Trust but verify, someone said once.

LOL

And you don't have to cite it. I'm just saying *I've* never heard them say it, but I've heard it said that "they" say it. Anyway...

[Hands Cynthia some virtual Extreme Moose Tracks ice cream, which is almost as good virtually as it is in real life. A snack fit for a vice presidential candidate. :D)

Peace.

Paul Newman spoke out politically, and he had a lot of clout. Is it that he "earned" the right to not be criticized (like Bono, maybe?) because of his charity work?

I think it is because they (Newman and Bono) seemed/seem to have given some serious thought to the issues. I saw the Matt Damon interview (how or when, I do not know) and he was just spewing off a bunch of nonsense and seemed really irrational (the way he was speaking and what he was saying). It was a bunch of hyperolic gobbledy gook. A lot of actor give that impression when they speak about just about any subject. But, without a doubt, there are some who give serious thought to what comes out of their mouth.

[Hands Cynthia some virtual Extreme Moose Tracks ice cream, which is almost as good virtually as it is in real life. A snack fit for a vice presidential candidate. )

Ah...now I'm going to leave this all to you and feast on the Moose Tracks while taking a long bubble bath and reading something entirely useless.

Pam, I think that this comes from his sit-down with Marc "Mr.Netscape" Andreessen. You can read all about it on his blog. Now, I know that blogs have become almost a dirty word in the political threads--and with good reason, to a certain extent. Anyway, this is what it is: Andreessen's account of the time that he spent with Obama, and Obama's answer to the "executive experience" question (according to Andreessen). I personally haven't heard Obama make this statement anywhere else--though he certainly may have done so--but I also haven't heard him repudiate Andreessen's record of the conversation either.

Thank you!! Off to read...

ETA: Ok, he asks how he'll be as a manager and leader of people. I wonder if he editorialized the executive part, or the manager and leader of people part. Because, "Senator, tell me, do you have any executive -- that is, manager and leader of people -- experience? LOL

Cool. Well, I think he can claim it. He doesn't claim his community organizing is executive experience, but he says watch and see how my campaign is led and managed, see how I do. Leadership in action. I can't argue with that.

Tiny sips of kool-aid for this one. :D Thanks very much for the link to this interview. I found it hilarious that the author donated an equal amount to the Romney campaign. LOL

Edited by Pam "SFSOM" in TN

My husband is a military officer. I definitely understand the different levels of responsibility held by those in leadership positions. I also understand how different echelons of leadership see things differently. She worked in state government, he worked in federal government (just like McCain and Biden). I wouldn't choose her experience over *any one* of the other three candidates.

A number of us here have dh/dw with this type of experience, so we do know what this looks like. I figured this was true for you, from some of your other posts.

As for the experience issue, one ticket offers both executive and legislative experience and the other offers legislative and community activism, so the experience does differ. I see your point that you're comfortable with the experience that your ticket offers. Fair enough.

And good for you for voting already. Wish we could do absentee as well.

Oh that's right I forgot that Voight did a bunch of stuff at the convention this year and so did Gary Sinise in doing the voice over for the Marine who won the medal of honor I think..... I don't listen to most of the folks that you listed any more than I do Matt Damon :001_smile: I do pay attention to Gary Sinise because of the work he has done for our folks in the military.

I saw the Matt Damon interview and it was just spouting off and I don't care if they are liberal or conservative if they are spouting I don't pay attention.

I think the majority are liberal. Look at the Emmy's, MTV, SNL... the liberal celebrities have said some pretty nasty things in this election. I haven't seen many conservative celebs make a peep but then I think they are concerned they won't get work. I'm pretty sick of celebrities. Period.

Celebrities have the same right as any other private citizen to present their viewpoint on any issue.

Yes, that is true and we have the right to bronx cheer those who spout nonsense, or are condescending, or impolite, or belligerent, or obnoxious, or ........ no matter if they are liberal or conservative.

Anybody can say anything it is the doing that divided the yackers from those who should be taken serious, in my opinion.

The problem in my view is many of these folks think their talent to act entertain gives them the right to soap box or preach from a bully pulpit and be taken as seriously as if they were an oracle of the gods or even a Greek god reincarnate :001_rolleyes:

Newman, Bono, Sinise, ect... have earned the right to speak in a pulpit, be taken serious and listened to, and when they speak it is in a respectful and intelligent manner and one can imagine having a meaningful conversation with them. Bono I think is as close to a oracle as any of these folks come. Newman and Sinise were/ are first class gentlemen and it is too bad that Newman has passed.

Yes, that is true and we have the right to bronx cheer those who spout nonsense, or are condescending, or impolite, or belligerent, or obnoxious, or ........ no matter if they are liberal or conservative.

Anybody can say anything it is the doing that divided the yackers from those who should be taken serious, in my opinion.

The problem in my view is many of these folks think their talent to act entertain gives them the right to soap box or preach from a bully pulpit and be taken as seriously as if they were an oracle of the gods or even a Greek god reincarnate :001_rolleyes:

Newman, Bono, Sinise, ect... have earned the right to speak in a pulpit, be taken serious and listened to, and when they speak it is in a respectful and intelligent manner and one can imagine having a meaningful conversation with them. Bono I think is as close to a oracle as any of these folks come. Newman and Sinise were/ are first class gentlemen and it is too bad that Newman has passed.

Does our talent at homeschooling give us the inalienable right to spout nonsense, as we so often do here? Many of us give our opinion on things we know nothing of. It's really no different for those who manage to get their mugs on the boob tube. Quality varies. But even silly stupid people have the right to make their voice be known. As you said, it is up to each of us to decide whether to give any weight to opinions of others. I have no idea what a bronx cheer is, but based upon context I am assuming it is a rude gesture.

I agree....Rush Limbaugh, Bill-o, Hannity and of course the lovely Ms. Ann Coulter.

astrid

Now Astrid these folks are not actors or in the entertainment industry. You list is like comparing apples and oranges :)

Hmmm, so here is my partial list Katie Couric, Charlie Gibson, Anderson Cooper, Wolf Blitzer, Chris Matthews, etc............

Just for the record I do not listen to Rush he makes my skin crawl and I take Bill-O very sparingly for the same reason. Ms. Coulter I take in very small doses....... I do not care for vitriol of any flavor, just too much for the nerves.

Well, I guess they would be in good company, depending upon how you look at it. Allegedly, according to George Bush himself, God chose him to lead our nation.

Does our talent at homeschooling give us the inalienable right to spout nonsense, as we so often do here? Many of us give our opinion on things we know nothing of. It's really no different for those who manage to get their mugs on the boob tube. Quality varies. But even silly stupid people have the right to make their voice be known. As you said, it is up to each of us to decide whether to give any weight to opinions of others. I have no idea what a bronx cheer is, but based upon context I am assuming it is a rude gesture.

In this place we are having a conversation. When I watch the Oscars or the Emmies I do not want any politics of any flavor interjected.

I served in our armed forces because I believed in the right of free speech. I don't really think this is what this conversation is about.

Now if you are offended because you are a Matt Damon fan I really don't know what to say. I like his work but I think he should keep his politics to real time discussions with his family, friends, acquaintances, and co-workers. I think most of us here are either friends or acquaintances having a semi real time conversation.

A bronx cheer is also known in some parts of the country as a blowing a raspberry or strawberry. This is a dictionary definition; A sound of contempt made by protruding the tongue between the lips and expelling air forcibly to produce a vibration ; broadly : an expression of disapproval or contempt.

Unless you have been living in a hole in the ground you probably have heard this sound. If not congrats you have a new word to add to your vocab :lol: and if you want to expand your cultural horizon ;) watch SNL often enough you will probably hear the sound.

In this place we are having a conversation. When I watch the Oscars or the Emmies I do not want any politics of any flavor interjected.

I served in our armed forces because I believed in the right of free speech. I don't really think this is what this conversation is about.

Now if you are offended because you are a Matt Damon fan I really don't know what to say. I like his work but I think he should keep his politics to real time discussions with his family, friends, acquaintances, and co-workers. I think most of us here are either friends or acquaintances having a semi real time conversation.

A bronx cheer is also known in some parts of the country as a blowing a raspberry or strawberry. This is a dictionary definition; A sound of contempt made by protruding the tongue between the lips and expelling air forcibly to produce a vibration ; broadly : an expression of disapproval or contempt.

Unless you have been living in a hole in the ground you probably have heard this sound. If not congrats you have a new word to add to your vocab :lol: and if you want to expand your cultural horizon ;) watch SNL often enough you will probably hear the sound.

If you find political speech on a tv program annoying, turn off the tv. As long as the participants are not breaking any established rules, I contend that they may speak as they wish even if it annoys certain people. Isn't that what offendees (I just made up that word now but I like the ring of it) when the female singing group criticized our president?

I am not a *fan* of anyone. Fan is short for fanatic.

Well, I guess they would be in good company, depending upon how you look at it. Allegedly, according to George Bush himself, God chose him to lead our nation.

Yes that is true but that is not quite the same as being an oracle. Bush does not think that a Greek god is speaking through him and oracles do :001_smile: Bush does not think he is a Greek god reincarnate. He will tell you he is doing his best as a human to serve as he feels God has called him to do. I think he would admit, that as all humans do, he makes mistakes. He does not think that he does the will of God nor does he think he speaks for God or that God speaks through him. He does hope that he is doing the will of God. And of course President Bush is not an actor or an entertainer and that is the group of people we have been conversing about.

If you find political speech on a tv program annoying, turn off the tv. As long as the participants are not breaking any established rules, I contend that they may speak as they wish even if it annoys certain people. Isn't that what offendees (I just made up that word now but I like the ring of it) when the female singing group criticized our president?

Ah, here is the rub.

I totally agree that celebrities have the right to say whatever they wish.

*On the other hand* if they annoy me I have the perfect right to not see their movies or listen to their songs, even to call my radio station and demand they cease and desist playing their awful music.

Case in point: Tim Robbins. When the Baseball Hall of Fame canceled the 25th anniversary celebration of the movie Bull Durham because the Baseball Hall of Fame did not want to be used as a political platform, Tim Robbins went on TV and loudly proclaimed his right of free speech was being suppressed. Umm....no. The Baseball Hall of Fame cannot take away your right to free speech (ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT IT ON TV, MORON! ahem, sorry), neither can a radio station, your fans nor the general public.

If you find political speech on a tv program annoying, turn off the tv. As long as the participants are not breaking any established rules, I contend that they may speak as they wish even if it annoys certain people. Isn't that what offenses (I just made up that word now but I like the ring of it) when the female singing group criticized our president?

I am not a *fan* of anyone. Fan is short for fanatic.

Tibbyl this has been a fairly polite conversation so far...... I no longer watch the Oscars which have lost quite a few viewers over the years due in part to pontificating of self viewed demigods.

Dixie Chicks career sure did boom after that didn't it. They weren't to smart alienating their conservative base like that. I guess country music fans gave them a collective bronx cheer and stopped buying their albums. Are they even around any more? There is a price that is to be paid when taking to the bully pulpit and I guess they paid for it. Freedom always has a price and some folks whine when it comes time to anty up. Seems like the chicks did a lot of whining and crying and about the price they paid.

Ah, here is the rub.

*On the other hand* if they annoy me I have the perfect right to not see their movies or listen to their songs, even to call my radio station and demand they cease and desist playing their awful music.

Case in point: Tim Robbins. When the Baseball Hall of Fame canceled the 25th anniversary celebration of the movie Bull Durham because the Baseball Hall of Fame did not want to be used as a political platform, Tim Robbins went on TV and loudly proclaimed his right of free speech was being suppressed. Umm....no. The Baseball Hall of Fame cannot take away your right to free speech (ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT IT ON TV, MORON! ahem, sorry), neither can a radio station, your fans nor the general public.

Nicely put :iagree: wish I could rep you :crying: but alas repping is gone.... ;)

I have no idea what a bronx cheer is, but based upon context I am assuming it is a rude gesture.

As I was looking for smilies for Mrs. Mungo I found this and thought that it might help enlighten you on the subject of bronx cheers :001_tt2: Please do not take this that I am giving this to you it is just this is what that smilie is a bronx cheer, strawberry, raspberry........ or at least that is my opinion of what it is for what it is worth :001_huh:

Ah, here is the rub.

Yes, it is a never ending loop. I gave the example of the female singing group who criticized president. The offendees avoided their broadcasts or live shows. It is up to each individual to decide whether they are willing to be offended by mere celebrities, and, if so, what action will they take.

Although I am not familiar with Matt Damon (other than he is an actor), I do recall the collective American eyeroll when Marlon Brando gave his opinion on plight of native Americans at an awards program.

I *try* to be frugal with taking offense. Save it for the really special, big things like disastrous foreign policy, depletion of nonrenewable resources, greedy investment bankers who want to be bailed out, exploitation of the weak, and finally the easily offended.:tongue_smilie:

Tibbyl this has been a fairly polite conversation so far...... I no longer watch the Oscars which have lost quite a few viewers over the years due in part to pontificating of self viewed demigods.

Dixie Chicks career sure did boom after that didn't it. They weren't to smart alienating their conservative base like that. I guess country music fans gave them a collective bronx cheer and stopped buying their albums. Are they even around any more? There is a price that is to be paid when taking to the bully pulpit and I guess they paid for it. Freedom always has a price and some folks whine when it comes time to anty up. Seems like the chicks did a lot of whining and crying and about the price they paid.

I don't watch the Oscars anymore either. The year many of them were protesting the military *and* using the CA National Guard to protect them ticked me off *beyond belief* and I'm no conservative.

I don't listen to the Dixie Chicks either, their repeated statements ticked me off too.

But I also avoid some conservatives and some people who annoy me for reasons other than politics.

Many people annoy me. I don't go to the movies much. :lol:

BUT with the Dixie Chicks they were actually receiving horrible death threats and such, it wasn't just the normal backlash, to be fair.

I *try* to be frugal with taking offense. Save it for the really special, big things like disastrous foreign policy, depletion of nonrenewable resources, greedy investment bankers who want to be bailed out, exploitation of the weak, and finally the easily offended.:tongue_smilie:

I am probably not easily offended but I am pretty easily annoyed. :lol:

Yes, it is a never ending loop. I gave the example of the female singing group who criticized president. The offenders avoided their broadcasts or live shows. It is up to each individual to decide whether they are willing to be offended by mere celebrities, and, if so, what action will they take.

Although I am not familiar with Matt Damon (other than he is an actor), I do recall the collective American eye roll when Marlon Brando gave his opinion on plight of native Americans at an awards program.

Hmmm now what nonrenewable resources are you talking about? Ever done a search on abiotic oil? My dad has his undergrad degree in petroleum science and my brother is a chemist at Dow and they could have a very lively conversation, as could a few Russians scientists, on whether there is such a thing a nonrenewable resource called oil. My dad has his Ph.D from U of Chicago and so he is not a right wing nut.

I freak him out when I joined the ILAG. His reply was that I was selling my self into slavery my reply was, well then pay for my grad school....... And that is how I got to see Saudi and UAE from a tent.... I thought it was a privileged to serve with a nice bonus of school money. It was the hardest thing I ever did with the exception of giving birth.

Edited by RebeccaC

I don't watch the Oscars anymore either. The year many of them were protesting the military *and* using the CA National Guard to protect them ticked me off *beyond belief* and I'm no conservative.

I don't listen to the Dixie Chicks either, their repeated statements ticked me off too.

But I also avoid some conservatives and some people who annoy me for reasons other than politics.

BUT with the Dixie Chicks they were actually receiving horrible death threats and such, it wasn't just the normal backlash, to be fair.

Well, death threats are wrong!

I don't listen to the chicks either but Dh did, he has a very eclectic taste in music from classical, to jazz, to country. He threw out their cds tho and would not buy another and he had never ever done that before. He is a libertarian married to a conservative ;)

I had no idea that Oscars used the CANG that way :glare: I stopped watching years and years ago.

Edited by RebeccaC

Same here re movies. There are so few quality ones that I mostly gave them up as an entertainment option. And it bugs me that what with all the talented actors available, we keep seeing the same faces over and over to satisfy our celebrity fetish.

Thanks for info on Chicks. Was unaware of death threats but it is not surprising. Federal Judge John Jones of the Dover, PA intelligent design fame had 24 hour protection because of death threats. All because of a dispute over origin of life.

Edited by tibbyl
spelling error

Hmmm now what nonrenewable resources are you talking about? Ever done a search on abiotic oil? My dad has his undergrad degree in petroleum science and my brother is a chemist at Dow and they could have a very lively conversation, as could a few Russians scientists, on whether there is such a thing a nonrenewable resource called oil. My dad has his Ph.D from U of Chicago and so he is not a right wing nut. I freak him out when I joined the ILAG. His reply was that I was selling my self into slavery my reply was well then pay for my grad school....... And that is how I got to see Saudi and UAE from a tent.... I thought it was a privileged to serve with a nice bonus of school money.

You'll have to have your petro argument with someone else. What I had in mind was nothing more than being good stewards of resources available and using as little as possible. Not because of any ideological leaning but for the simple fact that, to me, that seems to be a wise way to live. Other folks have to make their own decisions about how to lead their lives.

You seem eager for interaction. There were some folks on another thread eagerly awaiting a response from you on your assertion that pre-menopausal women were unfit for national office because hormonal surges would render them unable to make sound decisions.

You'll have to have your petro argument with someone else. What I had in mind was nothing more than being good stewards of resources available and using as little as possible. Not because of any ideological leaning but for the simple fact that, to me, that seems to be a wise way to live. Other folks have to make their own decisions about how to lead their lives.

You seem eager for interaction. There were some folks on another thread eagerly awaiting a response from you on your assertion that premenopausal women were unfit for national office because hormonal surges would render them unable to make sound decisions.

That is a dead thread months old and I think we were talking about the office of president in that thread not any national office. I believe if I remember right I first started talking about Palin with out using her name in that thread. I am flattered tho that you have been searching out my posts and reading them sort of..... ;)

If I remember right you responded to me first.... So am I too take it that you respond to me and I don't respond back to you? Hmmm and all that talk about free speech.....

Being a good steward also means understanding what you are stewarding does it not? Or does understanding not come into stewarding?

Edited by RebeccaC

That is a dead thread months old and I think we were talking about the office of president in that thread not any national office. I believe if I remember right I first started talking about Playing with out using her name in that thread. I am flattered tho that you have been searching out my posts and reading them sort of..... ;)

If I remember right you responded to me first.... so am I too take it that you respond to me and I don't respond back to you? Hmmm and all that talk about free speech.....

Being a good steward also means understanding what you are stewarding does it not? Or does understanding not come into stewarding?

It was from yesterday. Apparently someone recalled that your current position was dramatically different from one you espoused recently.

Actually I do not have issue with stating upfront that I am not knowledgeable about alternative energy. My strategy as stated earlier is to arrange lifestyle so as to use as little as possible.

It was from yesterday. Apparently someone recalled that your current position was dramatically different from one you espoused recently.

Actually I do not have issue with stating upfront that I am not knowledgeable about alternative energy. My strategy as stated earlier is to arrange lifestyle so as to use as little as possible.

Well I was gone yesterday My boys had several Eagle projects that I was taxing them to and from and I had other things to do. Tonight I am on more than I should be. I might look that thread up but the conversation was about the office of president not vp which is a do nothing job for most vps. I have not changed my position at all.

Abiotic oil is not alternative energy it is another theory on where oil comes from and how it is made. It is a credible theory that you might want to look at sometime if you have the urge to self educate. It basically states that oil is a renewable resource and the theory is held by many Europeans and especially by the Russians.

Since all of America is fixated on verifiable executive experience, here's a potential solution. Grant Arnold what's-his-name's wish to drop the rule that president must be U.S. born. I hear a fellow named Tony has *lots* of real-life executive experience and may be looking for work. icon7.gif

Since all of America is fixated on verifiable executive experience, here's a potential solution. Grant Arnold what's-his-name's wish to drop the rule that president must be U.S. born. I hear a fellow named Tony has *lots* of real-life executive experience and may be looking for work. icon7.gif

:lol:

He couldn't run as a Republican..because..well...he is Labor and their Liberals are more Liberal than ours. He couldn't run as a Dem because he went along with Bush.

It would be lose/lose for him.

I am against removing those restrictions.

Seeing as how U.S. president is a unique position, one is not going to have the exact experience unless, of course, one is running for a second term. But with clever spin techniques and a gullible public willing to swallow them, even a dogcatcher could be lauded as having executive experience ....

Mobilized and dispatched fleet to strategic points around city to control vagrant population

Oversaw a complex multi-unit containment area for inmates without any security breaches during his tenure.

Made life and death decisions in a high pressure situation.

Seeing as how U.S. president is a unique position, one is not going to have the exact experience unless, of course, one is running for a second term. But with clever spin techniques and a gullible public willing to swallow them, even a dogcatcher could be lauded as having executive experience ....

Mobilized and dispatched fleet to strategic points around city to control vagrant population

Oversaw a complex multi-unit containment area for inmates without any security breaches during his tenure.

Made life and death decisions in a high pressure situation.

I cannot imagine fudging on a resume while the world is watching.

Much less see half of them defend it. :lol:

Apparently it happens.

Abiotic oil is not alternative energy it is another theory on where oil comes from and how it is made. It is a credible theory that you might want to look at sometime if you have the urge to self educate. It basically states that oil is a renewable resource and the theory is held by many Europeans and especially by the Russians.

RebeccaC, could you provide a link to some literature on this topic? I'm assuming that if it is renewable, it is not renewing very quickly, therefore, we still need to be frugal consumers. I base this statement on pure hunch. But I am very interested in the topic. Would appreciate it.:001_smile: