Menu

Update: Feeling Better. Tell me that *my* Whole30 will get better.

Slache

I'm on day 18 I think. The withdraws were a piece of cake so I sat back and waited for the tiger blood. Things have only gotten worse. I'm exhausted, lethargic, I have headaches, lower intestinal problems, an upset stomach, my joints ache and I have an oral yeast infection which I acquired immediately after I was treated for my uti which I believe was caused by a sugar imbalance in my system via the Whole30. This sucks. A lot.

I admit that my chronic nausea and itching are gone, I look younger and I've lost 8 pounds. I don't care. I'd rather be nauseated. Fix it.

All of my food is Whole30 compliant.

Breakfast: Bacon, eggs and fruit or cashews and apple chips, depending on my mood

Lunch: Spinach salad with chicken and avacodo with mayo lime cilantro dressing or leftovers

Dinner: One of their recipes

I did start putting plain organic yogurt on my tongue yesterday (?) for my yeast infection, but that is not the cause.

:(  <- Me pouting

Yikes. It sounds like Candida overgrowth to me. Which means an even stricter diet for a long time. I think they recommend a year, minimum.

Of course, I'm not a doctor or health professional of any kind, so take all I say with a grain of salt.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Are you nursing? (I may be mixing up posters) You may not be eating enough food.

What did you take for the UTI? Antibiotics can cause yeast infections, gastrointestinal distress, etc. If you took Cipro, I would blame that and not your diet, especially for joint pain. OR, is it possible the UTI didn't resolve? Those can really make you feel like crap.

• Like 1

Yikes. It sounds like Candida overgrowth to me. Which means an even stricter diet for a long time. I think they recommend a year, minimum.

Of course, I'm not a doctor or health professional of any kind, so take all I say with a grain of salt.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

This is no.

Are you nursing? (I may be mixing up posters) You may not be eating enough food.

What did you take for the UTI? Antibiotics can cause yeast infections, gastrointestinal distress, etc. If you took Cipro, I would blame that and not your diet, especially for joint pain.

3 gallons of unsweetened cranberry juice which has never caused a yeast infection before, but I'm sure could.

The yeast may be connected to treating the UTI.

The headaches, exhaustion and lethargy are classic signs of persistent hunger. You are a tall girl with lots of muscle, just sitting on a chair and walking around your apartment (I know that's not all you do but it's an example) uses a fairly large number of calories. Unless your portions are gigantic, I don't know that you are getting enough to eat net of your calorie burn. The headaches , exhaustion and fatigue tend to indicate that you are not.

• Like 1

1) I'd guess that the 3 gallons of juice was probably an overload

2) What were you eating before? It looks like you've severely dropped carbs and likely calories(both of which can make you feel crappy), I would say you need to eat more. Have you plugged your intake into a nutrition calculator to see how much you are eating?

3) Personally I believe people thrive on different diets perhaps something you were eating was causing issues but that doesn't mean everything on their list does, perhaps this diet is not well-suited to you.

4) How did you feel before, besides the 2 issues? You could look at just dropping the gluten or dairy as those are the 2 biggest issue causes

I do think I caused the yeast infection, but I don't think it would have happened without the uti.

I don't think I'm hungry. My calories have been consistent. I track them with my fitness tracker. No change.

I meant 1 1/2 gallons (3 containers). I know that's a lot, but I'm prone to uits and they're expensive.

The only difference in my diet is the grains, yogurt and cheese. I believe I'm eating enough.

I have a dairy intolerance and a gluten intolerance. I just like pizza. :)

I would eat a more substantial meat at breakfast. I always think of bacon as more of an "accent" meat, tasty but not super-rich in nutrients. I would add veggies at breakfast and save the fruit for lunch. I'd add a starchy veg like sweet potatoes or white potatoes (now allowed--hurray!) once a day, probably at dinner. If you can, add fermented veggies like saukraut, kimchi, etc. There are recipes online for lacto-fermented salsa, which might be an easier introduction to fermented veg if you are not a fan.

As for the yeast issues, you may not be eating enough net carbs. Check out this post from a convo about yeast infections and paleo/primal diets: https://www.reddit.com/r/Paleo/comments/18ojn1/ladies_tmi/c8glsrg

You are more than halfway through your 30. It's tough but you are hanging in there!

My guess is electrolyte imbalance. Between the upset tummy and the lack of carbs (low carb tends to make you pee more, which makes you lose electrolytes) you may need to add some back into your diet. Salty broth, electrolyte tablets, something. Try drinking some salty broth and see if it helps. 

• Like 1

My guess is electrolyte imbalance. Between the upset tummy and the lack of carbs (low carb tends to make you pee more, which makes you lose electrolytes) you may need to add some back into your diet. Salty broth, electrolyte tablets, something. Try drinking some salty broth and see if it helps.

Soror suggested that my electrolytes were wacky when I complained about the soreness of working out. I definitely think you guys are right about that.

• Like 1

Don't eat a potato. Eat bone broth. Eat garlic, as raw as you can handle. This sounds like an electrolyte imbalance and candida overgrowth, in addition to too few calories. Even if you were losing a fair bit of water weight your loss amount is pretty rapid for someone who has already lost significant weight, and that is extremely hard on your body. Eat more, better food, and the type that replaces needed nutrients and skunks any bacteria.

Don't eat a potato. Eat bone broth. Eat garlic, as raw as you can handle. This sounds like an electrolyte imbalance and candida overgrowth, in addition to too few calories. Even if you were losing a fair bit of water weight your loss amount is pretty rapid for someone who has already lost significant weight, and that is extremely hard on your body. Eat more, better food, and the type that replaces needed nutrients and skunks any bacteria.

Why can't I have a potato?

I assume at least 5 pounds is water due to a lack of gluten. I don't think I lost 8 pounds.

Okay, don't eat the potato if you are at all sensitive to starch, as it will make cravings worse and not better. Not to mention a. Nutritionally devoid.

random thoughts.....

Yes, electrolytes, forgot that one earlier, tired and brain foggy myself.  Definitely look into that. If gluten is an issue you certainly could drop some major pounds quickly. Just thinking outloud you are saying your calories are the same, what were you eating for carbs before? Doing intense workouts as well keeping such a carb deficit is hard (experience speaking!!!! here!). Electrolytes are easy enough to remedy, even just drinking salted water helps. As it seems my body hates nightshades I'd be leary of the white potato but that's just me however sweet potatoes are nearly universally accepted (unless super LC) as safe so I'd certainly look into that. Another thought as to the calories is that you recently upped your workouts again right? What was enough might not be enough anymore, the way my body works is that I can keep a certain level of deficit for awhile and then I need to up it again, have you had a break from having a deficit recently, with ongoing weightloss it can be tough on the body.

Uh oh, I think I started a bad thing! I'm not saying go crazy with the potatoes (which I could do because I looooooove potatoes!) especially since you are having yeast issues. It just looks like you need to add more veggies, and potatoes can be a good part of that--but not the sum total. Think a small red-skinned potato diced and sautéed in coconut oil with zucchini, red peppers, carrots, and broccoli as an example.

Are you following the Whole30 template? You can be eating compliant foods (yes, white potatoes and bacon are technically compliant), but if you are not following the template then you're not following the Whole30 plan to its fullest capacity. Just a thought.

random thoughts.....

Yes, electrolytes, forgot that one earlier, tired and brain foggy myself. Definitely look into that. If gluten is an issue you certainly could drop some major pounds quickly. Just thinking outloud you are saying your calories are the same, what were you eating for carbs before? Doing intense workouts as well keeping such a carb deficit is hard (experience speaking!!!! here!). Electrolytes are easy enough to remedy, even just drinking salted water helps. As it seems my body hates nightshades I'd be leary of the white potato but that's just me however sweet potatoes are nearly universally accepted (unless super LC) as safe so I'd certainly look into that. Another thought as to the calories is that you recently upped your workouts again right? What was enough might not be enough anymore, the way my body works is that I can keep a certain level of deficit for awhile and then I need to up it again, have you had a break from having a deficit recently, with ongoing weightloss it can be tough on the body.

My main carbs were white potatoes and quinoa. I also had a traditional burger or pizza once a week or so.

I had intend on uping my workouts, but it's been too hard. I did just get back to working out after a series of injuries, but nothing too serious. I think this week was two days of cardio and two days of yoga?

Uh oh, I think I started a bad thing! I'm not saying go crazy with the potatoes (which I could do because I looooooove potatoes!) especially since you are having yeast issues. It just looks like you need to add more veggies, and potatoes can be a good part of that--but not the sum total. Think a small red-skinned potato diced and sautéed in coconut oil with zucchini, red peppers, carrots, and broccoli as an example.

Are you following the Whole30 template? You can be eating compliant foods (yes, white potatoes and bacon are technically compliant), but if you are not following the template then you're not following the Whole30 plan to its fullest capacity. Just a thought.

Don't worry, I promise not to go hog wild. ;) I mostly follow the template, but I can't eat as much as they want me to. The first week and a half my stomach just hurt because it was full all the time.

Okay, don't eat the potato if you are at all sensitive to starch, as it will make cravings worse and not better. Not to mention a. Nutritionally devoid.

Generations of Irish would argue that point (btw, I'm joking. And I love potatoes. So don't listen to me. :D)

• Like 1

3 gallons of unsweetened cranberry juice which has never caused a yeast infection before, but I'm sure could.

If you get feverish, it might be a kidney infection. My mom self-treated a UTI, thought it went away, and then thought she had a virus (achy, stomach issues, headache). Turned out to be a raging kidney infection. She was hospitalized with IV meds for a few days and out of commission a long time. This was when she was in her early 40s, not as an elderly person. (She's still not elderly, ha.) Anyway, take care of yourself! :grouphug:

• Like 1

I just wanted to say that I'm feeling much better. I think that my withdraws started and ended late. My pains are gone, intestinal issues are gone and my yeast infection went from cracked and bleeding tongue to 100% better overnight. I've never had that experience. I'm on my 3rd day of feeling fine. :)

• Like 8